2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Bourbon

GooseHook

[quote name='highdraw69' timestamp='1385486765' post='8210796']
[quote name='Gripit_Swiftit' timestamp='1385154459' post='8191568']
So.....I got to try some Pappy Van Winkle 20 this week. I will now spend the next year of my life searching for more.
[/quote]

any hints what made it so good? i just got a bottle of Pappy 15 but haven't cracked her open yet!
[/quote]

I know a few that prefer the 12 to 15 or the 15 to the 12 but the 20 is always mentioned above all. I've never had it so I can't say.

My dad (89) prefers the heat of the 15 that's why. We drank a 15 last year (along with a 23 y/o- he liked it better, me the 23) and I sent him a 15 for his birthday. He flew into town for thanksgiving and we just finished a 23 y/o bottle this past week. 3 more to go.

The 20 is pretty darn good I've tasted them (20/23) back to back, but it's been a while. Ironically, I do have a 20 open, shoulda done a taste test with the 23, but didn't realy have a need to. We have been drinking & comparing other brands- 18 y/o E. Craig, Blanton's, Bookers, Buffalo Trace, 1792, Hirsch to name a few.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

[quote name='80footputt' timestamp='1385488662' post='8210962']
Not a fan of cheap bourbon. Article says Old Crow Reserve ain't bad. Anyone tried it?

[url="http://deadspin.com/cheap-bourbons-ranked-1468454287"]http://deadspin.com/...nked-1468454287[/url]
[/quote]

Old Crow is on my list to try... but most mass produced bourbons are decent.

OGD 114 is a fun one to try... especially when compared to other high proof stuff.

Old Forester Signature is my favorite value bourbon...

On the rare bottle front... no Pappy for me this year. I did snag a bottle of George T Stagg and it's great. I'd argue it's better than Pappy, but that might just be sour grapes...

Pappy is one of the few wheated bourbons available (Weller, Larceny, Maker's... and I think there are a few more) and aged wheated bourbons are a thing of beauty. Weller 12 is pretty fantastic. Especially for $20 a bottle.

Old Forester Birthday is amazing as well... and apparently so is the Four Roses yearly release.

Plenty of great bourbons out there, don't spend all your time focused on Pappy. It's like Augusta. It's a great golf course, and everyone has heard of it... but there are other courses out there.

As of  10/11/2021

9 Callaway Mavrk Sub Zero with Ventus Black 7X

13 Degree Srixon 3 wood Project X Black 6.5

19 Degree Sub70 939 Pro with Proforce V2

4 Utility Sub70 699u 22 degree Proforce V2

5-GW Srixon Zx5 with Project X 6.5

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

SeeMore milled Tri-Mallet fit and built at SeeMore 

[quote name='Swoosh-Thud' timestamp='1385764141' post='8226108']
My dad (89) prefers the heat of the 15 that's why. We drank a 15 last year (along with a 23 y/o- he liked it better, me the 23) and I sent him a 15 for his birthday. He flew into town for thanksgiving and we just finished a 23 y/o bottle this past week. 3 more to go.

The 20 is pretty darn good I've tasted them (20/23) back to back, but it's been a while. Ironically, I do have a 20 open, shoulda done a taste test with the 23, but didn't realy have a need to. We have been drinking & comparing other brands- 18 y/o E. Craig, Blanton's, Bookers, Buffalo Trace, 1792, Hirsch to name a few.
[/quote]

i had a chance for a 15 or 20 and i chose the 15...sounds like i shoulda nabbed both! it's not american whiskey, but i just got a bottle of crown royal xr red...you ever tasted that?

[quote name='highdraw69' timestamp='1385486765' post='8210796']
[quote name='Gripit_Swiftit' timestamp='1385154459' post='8191568']
So.....I got to try some Pappy Van Winkle 20 this week. I will now spend the next year of my life searching for more.
[/quote]

any hints what made it so good? i just got a bottle of Pappy 15 but haven't cracked her open yet!
[/quote]

Largely I will echo what Swoosh-Turd has said without being able to compare it to the 23. The 15 has a heat to it, which I was having trouble describing until I read that comment from Swoosh, but that is exactly what it is. the 20 is much more reserved and has more nut and caramel. If you ever have the chance to buy any of them, buy ALL of them! If you don't want them I will gladly pay you handsomely for them. The place I got the 20 from got 3 bottles, not cases, bottles for the entire year.

Never had Crown XR Red. Definitely on my list.

I will say that Blantons has been fantastic for me lately. Really great, affordable weekly drinking bourbon. Plus there's a cool bonus in that each bottle is different with the horse on top having a letter in it hind leg that can eventually spell out BLANTONS and each horse represents a different Kentucky Derby champion (I think its the Derby anyway)

i'll have to research the blanton's horse top...there must be a reason i keep all those empty blantons bottles around. i'm already having buyer's remorse for not nabbing a pappy 20 when i had the chance...oh well, there is always next year! great avatar by the way, i was working in chicago during jordan's heyday, every night the bulls played was electric.

[quote name='highdraw69' timestamp='1386042192' post='8240500']
i'll have to research the blanton's horse top...there must be a reason i keep all those empty blantons bottles around. i'm already having buyer's remorse for not nabbing a pappy 20 when i had the chance...oh well, there is always next year! great avatar by the way, i was working in chicago during jordan's heyday, every night the bulls played was electric.
[/quote]

Horse's represent the various stages of a horse race and have a different letter (I think it spells Bourbon)

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

[quote name='Myherobobhope' timestamp='1386194784' post='8249077']
[quote name='highdraw69' timestamp='1386042192' post='8240500']
[/quote]

Horse's represent the various stages of a horse race and have a different letter (I think it spells Bourbon)
[/quote]

We may have actually talked about this when the thread was a mere page old! You can actually buy racks for all the dofferent bottle tops.

Blanton's, Booker's, and Bulleit 10 really hit the sweetspot if you've only got 50 or so bucks to burn.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

^^^ Makers 46 is awesome. They raised the price in Canada this year by like 10$. At least in Quebec anyway....

Now it's too far above JDSB for me to buy it. My favorite bourbon is Jack's single barrel so i'm not going to pay that much more for something i like less

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1386211835' post='8250443']
^^^ Makers 46 is awesome. They raised the price in Canada this year by like 10$. At least in Quebec anyway....

Now it's too far above JDSB for me to buy it. My favorite bourbon is Jack's single barrel so i'm not going to pay that much more for something i like less
[/quote]
Sorry to inform you but anything Jack is not bourbon. It is an American whiskey. Bourbon, by rule, has to be made in the state of Kentucky. Jack is made in Tennessee.

[quote name='bppry' timestamp='1386216578' post='8250803']

[/quote]
Sorry to inform you but anything Jack is not bourbon. It is an American whiskey. Bourbon, by rule, has to be made in the state of Kentucky. Jack is made in Tennessee.
[/quote]

That is incorrect. It can be made anywhere. Tennessee whiskey is actually "straight bourbon."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1386251833' post='8251981']
[quote name='bppry' timestamp='1386216578' post='8250803']

[/quote]
[/quote]

That is incorrect. It can be made anywhere. Tennessee whiskey is actually "straight bourbon."

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bourbon_whiskey"]http://en.wikipedia....Bourbon_whiskey[/url]
[/quote]

As far as the US guvment is concerned, it meets the legal definition of "straight bourbon." But because they filter it differently, Jack Daniel's does not consider their product to be bourbon, but Tennessee sour mash whiskey instead.

[/quote]

Jeff, do you compare JDSB in terms of taste/ finish/ etc to Maker's 46 or are you just saying it is another enjoyable choice to drink? I haven't had JDSB in quite some time and I don't care what it is officially defined as, as long as it is good. Just wondering how it would compare to Maker's 46 or any other bourbon/ sour mash you have tried?

On the Scotch front (this talk may be banned in this forum) BUT, I got a bottle of Macallen 18 and WHOO boy, I see how people turn into scotch snobs.

[quote name='Gripit_Swiftit' timestamp='1386292522' post='8255597']

[/quote]

Jeff, do you compare JDSB in terms of taste/ finish/ etc to Maker's 46 or are you just saying it is another enjoyable choice to drink? I haven't had JDSB in quite some time and I don't care what it is officially defined as, as long as it is good. Just wondering how it would compare to Maker's 46 or any other bourbon/ sour mash you have tried?

On the Scotch front (this talk may be banned in this forum) BUT, I got a bottle of Macallen 18 and WHOO boy, I see how people turn into scotch snobs.
[/quote]

Your bringing up McCallan's reminded me of a story my golf buddy related just the other day. He came home recently to find all his Scotch bottles lined up on the counter. His housekeeper, it turns out, had decided to straighten up the liquor cabinet. His half gallon Dewar's bottle, which had been almost empty, was now full and his McCallan 12 and 18 and his Glenmorangie were empty. He said it's the best blended scotch he's ever had.

[quote name='Gripit_Swiftit' timestamp='1386292522' post='8255597']

[/quote]

[/quote]

yeah i mean i'm not going to worry too much about definitions. It's a bourbon-like drink to me and that's all that matters.

You know i haven't had Makers 46 in about a year now. Not sure i can give it the comparison it deserves. Both were pretty smooth, i just remember liking JDSB a little bit better, and now it's 10 $ cheaper

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I don't drink Jack Daniel's anymore... haven't had it in quite some time... they follow the bourbon making rules, but the added step makes it a "Tennessee Sipping Whiskey". Honestly... try Weller if you like JD... trying to avoid the bite of rye is easy.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

The Pappy 12 this year is awesome - I had a bottle or 2 last year and it didn;t really do anything for me besides what the Weller 12 does, Could be all in my head but so far loving it.

I got lucky and got all the Pappys this year but I haven't opened up any others.

I do have a buddy that swears that by mixing 60% Weller Antique with 40% of the Weller 12 that it will blow the doors off the Pappy 12. He's big into bourbon and did a blind side by side with friends and they all picked the mix over the Pappy 12.

I grabbed some of the E Craig 12 Barrel stuff but I haven't open it yet- anyone try this? - it almost has a syrup color to it

[attachment=1975493:photo-8-300x300.jpg]

G400 Max Ad DI 7
M3 15 degree Tensei Blue
Srixon H45 19 hybrid Tour spec 8.8
Srixon Z 565/765 Nippon 125
Vokey Forged 50F, 54M, 60J Nippon 125
Scotty Cameron X7M

I didn't like the Elijah 18- too rough (unrefined) at transition. Definitely one to serve to friend or make manhattans.

But blending makes sense- get one with heat but poor transition with a bland/too smooth might be the trick.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

[quote name='Swoosh-Thud' timestamp='1386431282' post='8262995']
I didn't like the Elijah 18- too rough (unrefined) at transition. Definitely one to serve to friend or make manhattans.

But blending makes sense- get one with heat but poor transition with a bland/too smooth might be the trick.
[/quote]

Please don't mix Elijah 18.

As of  10/11/2021

Sub70 286 54

Sub70 JB Low Bounce 58

• 2 weeks later...

Just about finished my first bottle of Old Forester (just the original) and I've been quite happy with it, especially for under $20. Nice flavors and smooth with a cube of ice.

Had some Bakers the other night and it was very good. Intense caramel smell, good flavors, and smooth. I'm still pretty new to Burbon but one of my favorites I've had so far.