Differences between Hoofer Models

Calling all hoofer users.

Which model do you use and tell me why specifically that you use it.

I am really interested in the following aspects:

1. Size / weight

2. The number of dividers to put clubs in and weather or not they are full length dividers.

3. Amount of pockets / pocket configuration / reasons for pockets (cooler, range finder, etc)

FOR THOSE THAT OWN MULTIPLE MODELS OF HOOFERS, PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE COMMENT ON THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN THE MODELS THAT YOU OWN

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can help up to the C-line...maybe :).

Hoofer 1/2/3 are [i]essentially[/i] the same bag, albeit with minor pocket configuration differences and length of the internal dividers. At some point (hoofer 3 I think) Ping extended the shortish dividers into full length, or almost full length style dividers. Oddly enough, there are two versions of the Hoofer 3, one with a similar pocket config to the H2, and an all new design that included two removable pockets under the long panel pocket, as well as a better handle. If the original design is what you are after, look for a hoofer 3. H1/H2 were heaver due to fabric used, H3 used a bit lighter fabric but still durable..

Hoofer Extreme and Hoofer lite were departures from the original design, coming under John's early run as CEO after Karsten passed away I think. The Lite pushed the lightweight envelope (for the time) and the Extreme changed to an 8-way top and that funky always up strap. Both models were not well received and neither stayed in the catalog for long..

Ping Vantage/Voyage. Ping Vantage is my favorite...back to a sturdier fabric but still reasonably light, full length dividers, insulated pocket, and retractable strap. Many don't care for it but I like it. The Vantage was also the base unit for the most popular/rare ping bag, the camouflage version. Only made in limited numbers the camo Vantage brings crazy money when you find one. The Voyage is a slimmed down version, less pockets and was the collegiate base bag for several years.

Once you get to the C and later I really haven't used or had any experience with them.

Don't forget the original Latitude, basically a gussied-up hoofer with putterwell and removable boot pocket...it's actually a nice bag, and my favorite of all three Latitude iterations....

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Using the Hoofer C1... it's okay.

I personally don't think the straps are as comfortable as the backpack style. Though, the retractable and stationary second strap do make it easy to just sling it over one shoulder on short walks.

The other issue is the clubs/grips getting stuck, as already mentioned. This is a typical issue with all bags, but is really prevalent with Ping. Cheap fix is standing the bag vertically and then stick the club in, and it works pretty well.

Other issue is the legs. The new Ping Hoofers have the retractable leg/strap technology, but the C1 does not. So the legs lay flimsy if you pick it up from the stand position.

The C1 is slightly lighter than most Hoofer models, which was the draw for me. Plus the price, which you can find now for $120 new. The pocket configuration is ideal. It has the right amount of pockets and it's well thought out. You would think most manufacturers would follow a similar pattern as a template, but you'll be surprised to see how dumb some configurations are.

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 10* Ventus Blue TR

Callaway Rogue ST LS 15* Tensei Blue

Callaway Rogue ST LS 18* Tensei Blue

Ping G425 22* Tensei CK Pro Orange

Titleist T100 5-PW ProjectX LZ

Titleist SM6 50S

Callaway JAWS MD5 56W

Callaway JAWS MD5 60X

[quote name='jjrussell12' timestamp='1341249490' post='5204682']
Can't beat the look of the Hoofer and will never buy any other bag. Even though I don't like the look of the newest one. Im Currently gaming a Hoofer 3, but I'm still trying to get my hands on another Voyage or Vantage but can't find one anywhere. Anyone have any suggestions?
[/quote]

sent pm...

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Had a Hoofer C-1 and the towel loop broke, so Ping sent me the new Hoofer 2012 at no cost. The C-1 had a lighter-grade material than the 2012. What I really like about the 2012 is the internal stand restraint which really snaps up the legs when you lift it up and keeps them from drooping. I really thought I would like the plastic handle atop the bag for use when setting the bag down, but I prefer the saddle-horn type handle the C-1's had.

All Hoofers have grip tangle issues, but where I feel Ping has dropped the ball is their full-length dividers. They're merely pieces of nylon fabric that aren't even sewn to the sides, allowing clubs to easily slide into other divisions of the bag. Plus, they don't even go all the way to the bottom. They stop 8-10" short of the base. Aside from that, I still feel like they're one of the better carry bags. I've owned a Hoofer for 13 years.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Ping G425 5W 
Ping G425 19* 3H
Srixon ZX5 4-P 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2+

• 3 months later...

The reason Ping Hoofer dividers don't go all the way down (and, I suspect also partly the reason they are not completely sewn to the sides) is the hoofer base design. Since the base "levers" in the Ping design, vs most other bags with flappers or paddles and what not, the "underside" length of the bag varies. If the dividers were full length, they would scrunch up at the bottom when the legs were deployed, making pulling/inserting club that much harder due to the bunched up fabric. Stopping the fabric short by 12" or so eliminates this.

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

• 4 months later...

I own both the Ping Vantage, and the PING Voyage....

IMO, the Ping Vantage cannot be beaten. I have yet to see a better golf bag by any manufacturer. Perfect pocket design, pefect dividers, light enough for a full time walker, and the best color combinations. A problem I encounteredis that the dividers came loose from the bottom and my dad had to gorilla glue it to the bottom.

Voyage is asmaller with less pockets and one less divider. Probably a "cleaner looking" golf bag and it is lighter.

Ping Vantage....10/10
Ping Voyage.....8/10

[quote name='TheMackDaddy' timestamp='1363736413' post='6646683']
I own both the Ping Vantage, and the PING Voyage....

IMO, the Ping Vantage cannot be beaten. I have yet to see a better golf bag by any manufacturer. Perfect pocket design, pefect dividers, light enough for a full time walker, and the best color combinations. A problem I encounteredis that the dividers came loose from the bottom and my dad had to gorilla glue it to the bottom.

Voyage is asmaller with less pockets and one less divider. Probably a "cleaner looking" golf bag and it is lighter.

Ping Vantage....10/10
Ping Voyage.....8/10
[/quote]

I completely agree, Vantage is the superior bag. To bad they only made them for a year or two...

712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

i have a Hoofer 2012 model and i had a 2004-5 hoofer 2. the hoofer has a better top and more compartments, but the old one has club dividers that prevent shaft tangle. i have to stand my bag straight up to un-tangle my clubs every single time i grab a club. i will not buy another Ping bag until they fix this.

Callaway Paradigm 10.5 Hazardous Silver 60 S
Callaway Rogue ST HL 3 wood Hazardous Silver 60S
Callaway Rogue ST 5 wood Mitsubishi Tensi Blue AV

Ping I25 4-LW ZZ65 

Scotty Cameron Newport 2 2013

Bridgestone B X
God Bless America

Stay Free

• 1 month later...

I agree with big easy. With my hoofer 2012, my grips really get tangled. I read about this prior to buying it, but did not heed the warnings.

Driver: Mizuno ST-Z 10.5* Mitsubishi Kai'Li 60 Stiff 45"
FW: Callaway Steelhead XR 4+ 16* Aldila Rogue Silver 70 Stiff

HYB - Taylormade DHY (18* & 22*) Recoil Dart Stiff (+1")
Irons: Taylormade P790 (5-AW) Nippon Modus 105 Stiff (+1")
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-4 (53* & 57*) DG Stiff
Putter: Scotty Cameron Futura X-5 (36") Dual-Balance
Stand Bag: Sun Mountain 4.5
Ball: Taylormade TP5

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I have an original Hoofer that I got for my 16th bday back in 97' that I keep at my parents house and I currently carry a Hoofer 2 that I purchased back in 2001/2002.

I love golf

Driver:  2018 Cally Rogue 10.5* (Set to 12.5*)

Fairway Metals:  Ping G30 14.5* and 18*

Irons:   PXG Gen3 0311P (4-G) MMT80 Stiff

Wedges:  PXG 0311 Forged 54*/58* MMT80 Stiff

Putter:  Odyssey Stroke Lab “Double Wide” 34”

Bag:  G-Fore Daytona Plus (AKA: Vessel Lite)

Had a 4-under.

Switched to a Hoofer 2012.

Got my bag stolen.

Got another Hoofer 2012, so obviously, I like these bags. Tangling is an issue. Every bag has strengths and weaknesses.

I can't speak to the differences within the hoofer line, though. You're talking about models that were made for a short time and discontinued. And models that some of us -- I bet -- have never even heard of.

The current Hoofer is essentially what Ping has made forever. You basically can't go wrong unless the tangling thing REALLY bothers you. You kind of learn to deal with it. . .you learn the "jiggle and easy pull" maneuver to get them out, and the "find the pocket" maneuver to get them in.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Here is what I remember about the Ping bags that I have experience with:

Original Hoofer (mid-late 90's?) - baseline, most commonly identified by tan leather patch above the handle

Hoofer 2 (2001) - Slight material change, nearly full length dividers added, pocket configuration changed a bit, water bottle pocket added, grat plastic patch above handle. Later Hoofer 2 added the plastic molded handle and black leather patch above the handle like the later JBag and Hoofer 3.

JBag (2002 or 2003?) - similar pocket configuration to Hoofer 2 (no water bottle pocket, lined valuables pocket on opposite side of bag), smaller base vs big Hoof, slightly lighter overall. Later JBags (sometime after the Hoofer 3 was released) were updated with the lighter material and full length umbrella holder of the later Hoofer 3 (the top divider protector was no longer removable on the later JBag).

Hoofer 3 (2003 or 2004?) - early Hoofer 3 had a very similar pocket layout to the late Hoofer 2 but changed to a lighter material, full length umbrella holder, and a zipper down the side for access to the bottom of the bag. Later versions replaced the water bottle pocket off the main ball pocket with a cargo net like pouch and removable pockets.

Hoofer Xtreme (2005?) - This was Ping's major departure from the previous Hoofer models with the 5 way top divider and always up retractable strap that everyone seemed to complain about (which was later corrected with the Hoofer Voyage). I lost interest in Ping bags after briefly owning this bag.

• 5 months later...

I bought a Hoofer in February, 2013, which I assume must be the 2012 model. It is a well made, fine looking bag which, for the most part, I have enjoyed using. It is comfortable to carry and also fits well on my Club Car cart. However, the club tangle is a genuine pain. Perhaps, if they can't find a way to engineer full length dividers because of the way the base leans forward when stood up, they could enlarge the opening, providing a bit more room to avoid the tangle. On the other hand, after just celebrating the 45th anniversary of man setting foot on the moon (July 20th), I find it difficult to believe that Ping cannot engineer a better ingress and egress for clubs in all their bags.

G410 Plus 10.5
X2 Hot 3 Wood
X2 Hot 5 Wood
G410 19, 22, and 26 degree hybrids
G25 6 - UW
Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 56.14
SC Futura X 33 "

• 1 month later...

i use to love my hoofer back in the day when i use to carry my bag. I live in central Florida now where golf carts are included in your green fees. I can't play without a golf cart now, I remember when i use to carry my bag in Chicago. When I go back and visit I don't play at any courses that let you carry your bag, the speed of the game has changed when everyone uses carts. I had a ping double strap carry bag, but it was too small and all the clubs got stuck. I upgraded to a hoofer and it was great, enough room to not get your clubs stuck and still light enough not to die carrying your clubs. I still have my hoofer from the late 90's, but I can't use it because we always use carts.

I don't understand why you don't put it on a cart?

The tangling was never much of an issue for me. If you study it and look down in there it doesn't happen. On the cart you have to lean it backwards a bit and every club slides right in and out. Walking you have to tip it up and maybe look sometimes. Putting them all in properly is the hard part. 4 short clubs in the bottom cleanly, make the triangle with the right side, triangle left, long clubs in the top one at a time. I've wasted lots of time figuring that out and doing that for the past 15 years.

I currently have 3 original ones here. Unfortunately #1 has really fallen apart and will be buried. #2 and 3 are somehow very close to brand new shape, I was thrilled to finally find one in excellent condition. I bid on #3 as a joke, I didn't expect to win, but 6 days later I did. :) So now I rotate them between the course and holding the extra sticks. I'm going to care for them well, they should last me a long time.

:smilie_ping:

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

• 1 year later...

II went from the original Hoofer to Hoofer to Voyage and still gaming my C-1. I had a Callaway bag mixed in with the WOODE System, but it was a short timer. Like others I love my Ping bags but feel the devisers could be improved and I have not gone from the C-1 to a newer bag because I just don't see enough improvement to warrant a change. I am considering the Ping 14 way bag, anyone have experience with this bag and will to share I would appreciate hearing your review.

• 1 year later...