New Titleist golf ball being tested on Tour

[quote name='Hoselrocket08' timestamp='1345518561' post='5507462']
Regardless, I might buy a sleeve to try but my game is nowhere good enough to play a $3 ball. I'd be out some money after a round.
[/quote]Thats cheap, Pro V's are $10 a ball by the sleeve in New Zealand and this year dropped to $85 a dozen from $99... it is still the #1 premium ball though even with TM & Srixon etc... being quite a bit cheaper.

• Replies 206
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definately a different dimple design. It looks much less uniform than a Pro V. My guess is the ball will spin less with driver, and be geared more toward finding ideal trajectory depending on the club. Also could be used to get straighter ball flight.

Titleist 915 D4 Aldila Rogue 125 70TX
3 wood PXG 341 True Temper HZRDUS 75X
2 iron 716 TMB TTDG AMT X100
4-9 Epon AF-302 TTDG AMT ti X100
Vokey 46F, 50F, 54S, 60L TTDG ti S400
SC Circle T 009 Brushed Black Pearl 350g

[quote name='Sump' timestamp='1345642894' post='5515064']
They're bringing back the Professional 90. Let's get some spin up in this b****.
[/quote]That would be AWESOME, I loved that ball

Titleist TSi3 Oban Devotion 04
Titleist 910F UST Mamiya Black

Titleist 910H UST Mamiya Red
Mizuno MP-68 4-W KBS C Taper Stiff+
Mizuno MP T-11 52,56,60 KBS Custom Stiff
Ping Kushin 4
Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='jimbonecrusher' timestamp='1345497749' post='5505454']
Let me take a guess, it is round, has dimples, and is white.

What different playing characteristics could it possibly have? They have pretty much covered all possible characteristics over the past 10 years with all of the Pro V1 models. Don't get me wrong, it is a good ball, but I can't play either the X or the regular Pro V1. Way too much loss of distance and way too much spin. Just like with drivers, I think golfballs are about to hit the wall and not be able to get much better.

Still will be interesting to see what is new and different.
[/quote]

I think you're right about hitting the wall - the marketing is wearing thin. I think next you will see smaller drivers, shorter shafts , more loft ,etc And ball technology has definately been exhausted - don't know where it goes next. I actually preferred the Pro V with the 392 stamp on it - to me , that was the best performer. Maybe newer models are more durable but that ball, and I am not sure which year it was from , for me had the best spin/distance combination

well I know there isnt any extra distance available, lets face it, initial velocitys have been reached, dimple patterns have been optimised, all thats left to do is to reduce the spin off the driver, and my drivers already spinning at 2300, 12 launch, any less spin and its too straight

all I hope is that they bring something even spinnier than the pro v1 on partial wedge shots

Mizuno ST190G atmos 6s
Mizuno MP18 2fh / PX 6.0
Mizuno MP18 3-Pw/ PX 6.0
Mizuno S18 5310+5812/PX 6.0
Ping TR Anser 1966/ 34”

Ball - pro v1x
Grips - Crossline cord

Lofts 18 , 21.5, 25, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45, 49, 53, 58

[quote name='Mudguard' timestamp='1345529100' post='5508020']
[quote name='mosesgolf' timestamp='1345524644' post='5507886']
$48 per dozen plus tax is nutz. $50 for a dozen balls? Pro V1x is my favorite ball but there's no way I'm paying that much for golf balls. Ebay baby. :D
[/quote]

I don't know how anyone in the US can complain about the price of golf equipment. Taking into account exchange rates and consumer price indexes we pay so much more in Australsia than you guys!
Ping Anser wedge is $169 US, here $359NZ. Current exchange rate makes the US price, $208NZ
8 Anser irons $1499US, here $2872NZ. Exchange rate price $1849NZ
Anser driver $399US, here $799NZ. Exchange rate price $492NZ

That's a lot of money spent on shipping and retail mark up.

It was even worse a few years ago when $1US=$2NZ. Now it's $1US=$1.20NZ. I remember seeing the price list for a Taylormade 510TP and it was $1100NZ! so in today's money that's $1400NZ, or back into US dollars $1135!!
[/quote]

Completely agree here. I lived in NZ for a year starting in late 2009. I played once my entire trip. No idea how anyone affords new equipment in NZ

• Taylormade Qi10 core 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6TX
  • Taylormade Tour Issue Stealth Plus+ 3 HL - Ventus Black 8TX
  • Titleist T100 4-PW - DG TI X100
  • Taylormade MG4 50SB, 56HB, 60HBW - DG TI S400
  • Artisan Blue Bonnet 0820 - LAGP TPZ One35 USA

The cynics and anti Titleist brigade in this thread make me laugh

While everyone has their personal preferences and different balls suit different players, a couple of simple facts remain:

1. Titleist has been the no. 1 ball on every tour for decades - it outplays it nearest rival by more than 10:1
2. It has more tournament wins worldwide over the past 25 years than all other balls put together
3. It has more Major Wins than all other balls put together
4. It is played by more golfers of all handicaps worldwide than all other makes of balls put together
5. This new ball when it hits the market will out sell all other makes of balls put together

The reasons:

The Titleist ProV1 and ProV1x [u][b]is simply the best [/b][/u]ball out there

Am I a Titleist diehard - yes, a complete bag

Have I played other balls - yes, every make and type, I am seasoned ho.

Are other balls good - yes, many are excellent

What do I play - [size=4][b]B330 Tour.........[/b][/size]

If TM, Cally, Nike, and Srixon all have balls being playing on tour then they are good enough for any amateur. Trick is to test them out and find what works best for your game. Then look for price. Titleist is starting to price themselves beyond what some are willing to pay, which is how these other companies have been able to get larger and larger shares of the market. We'll see how it shakes out in the future.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

[quote name='J13' timestamp='1346190317' post='5551031']
If TM, Cally, Nike, and Srixon all have balls being playing on tour then they are good enough for any amateur. Trick is to test them out and find what works best for your game. Then look for price. Titleist is starting to price themselves beyond what some are willing to pay, which is how these other companies have been able to get larger and larger shares of the market. We'll see how it shakes out in the future.
[/quote]

+1 Well put

[quote name='m4tTy333' timestamp='1345519938' post='5507580']
How much more can they improve the ProV line up. I don't think its possible ; however I picked up some Taylormade Tp Red w/ LDP balls for CHEAP at Walmart. It might be my new golf ball. Ball is ridiculous
[/quote]

That TP Red is the best ball I've ever played. Great distance off the tee and good control around the greens. Plus I didn't peel the covers off of them after one solid wedge shot. Unfortunately I can only find the TP Black around me now. The Penta TP5 is pretty good but not as good as the Red.

Ping G15 9 deg, Fujikura Motore F1 S
Ping i20 15 deg, Project X Black 6.0
Adams a12 Pro 19 deg, Matrix Ozik Altus
Mizuno MP-64 4-PW, KBS Tour S
Vokey 52, 56, KBS Custom S
Ping Scottsdale TR

[quote name='golfizfun' timestamp='1346170437' post='5549375']
[quote name='jimbonecrusher' timestamp='1345497749' post='5505454']
Let me take a guess, it is round, has dimples, and is white.

What different playing characteristics could it possibly have? They have pretty much covered all possible characteristics over the past 10 years with all of the Pro V1 models. Don't get me wrong, it is a good ball, but I can't play either the X or the regular Pro V1. Way too much loss of distance and way too much spin. Just like with drivers, I think golfballs are about to hit the wall and not be able to get much better.

Still will be interesting to see what is new and different.
[/quote]

I think you're right about hitting the wall - the marketing is wearing thin. I think next you will see smaller drivers, shorter shafts , more loft ,etc And ball technology has definately been exhausted - don't know where it goes next. I actually preferred the Pro V with the 392 stamp on it - to me , that was the best performer. Maybe newer models are more durable but that ball, and I am not sure which year it was from , for me had the best spin/distance combination
[/quote]

I agree as well, and think the next step is more customization. Just like clubs have gone lately, the ball itself will follow. More options to fit individuals needs and wants.

You already have the ability to choose your number, 0 -99, and adding a message/name/logo. I'm thinking this will only become more common. Logically that would more color options, not only in the ball itself, but also the writing/numbers, different number fonts, etc...

Down the road I could also see more options regarding compression. Maybe you'll eventually be able buy a ball like the ProV1, but with different compression rating (such as 80 90, 100, 110, etc.) keeping th core and imple patterns the same. This would be similar to buying a shaft a shaft in regular, stiff, x-stiff, or in different weights like 60g, 70g, or 80g.

All of this is just my guess though, and expect it would be much further down the road than any 2013 product offerings.

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6S
Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
Callaway Apex UW 19* AD DI 7S

Ping Icrossover 4 Kai'li White 80s
Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Snell MTB-X or Titleist ProV1

I heard the new ball is basically like '09 model . Just because a lot of people and myself included believe the '11 ball just spun to much. Don't know if there is any truth to it but that's just what I heard. I do know the previous model pro v1x ball is still widely played on tour.

Titleist TSR3 9* Fuji Ventus TR Blue 6-X
Titleist TSR2 15* Fuji Ventus Blue 7-X
Titleist T200 (3g) 3 iron - PX HZRDUS Black 90 X
Titleist T100(3g) (4) 620 MB (5-9) DG Tour Issue x100
Titleist SM9 RAW 46/52/56/60 DG Tour Issue X100
Odyssey 2Ball Tour Issue Tour Lined 35"  - Pro V1X

[quote name='Colby327' timestamp='1346255718' post='5555021']
I agree as well, and think the next step is more customization. Just like clubs have gone lately, the ball itself will follow. More options to fit individuals needs and wants.

You already have the ability to choose your number, 0 -99, and adding a message/name/logo. I'm thinking this will only become more common. Logically that would more color options, not only in the ball itself, but also the writing/numbers, different number fonts, etc...

Down the road I could also see more options regarding compression. Maybe you'll eventually be able buy a ball like the ProV1, but with different compression rating (such as 80 90, 100, 110, etc.) keeping th core and imple patterns the same. This would be similar to buying a shaft a shaft in regular, stiff, x-stiff, or in different weights like 60g, 70g, or 80g.

All of this is just my guess though, and expect it would be much further down the road than any 2013 product offerings.
[/quote]

Considering Titleist's aggressive marketing campaign that compression does not matter, I highly doubt that they will release a line focusing on compression like Bridgestone currently is. If you really look closely, very little has changed with the Pro V1 in its nearly 12 year old existence which leads me to believe that we won't see any drastic changes in the near future.

Ultimately there isn't much growth opportunity in the US Golf industry. OEM's are starting to focus on foreign markets with higher growth potential while trying to just maintain their share in the saturated US market. Fila Korea purchased Acushnet with their primary focus on the growing Asian market.

[quote name='AEldridge' timestamp='1346282643' post='5557559']
I heard the new ball is basically like '09 model . Just because a lot of people and myself included believe the '11 ball just spun to much. Don't know if there is any truth to it but that's just what I heard. I do know the previous model pro v1x ball is still widely played on tour.
[/quote]
Yes - a return to the 09 model would be welcome

[quote name='mrfullwm' timestamp='1346253388' post='5554753']
How much more can they improve the ProV line up. I don't think its possible ; however I picked up some Taylormade Tp Red w/ LDP balls for CHEAP at Walmart. It might be my new golf ball. Ball is ridiculous
[/quote]

That TP Red is the best ball I've ever played. Great distance off the tee and good control around the greens. Plus I didn't peel the covers off of them after one solid wedge shot. Unfortunately I can only find the TP Black around me now. The Penta TP5 is pretty good but not as good as the Red.
[/quote]

My local walmart has them for $25 a dozen! You can still get them on the internet.

[quote name='m4tTy333' timestamp='1346804411' post='5587775']
[quote name='mrfullwm' timestamp='1346253388' post='5554753']
[/quote]

[/quote]

My local walmart has them for $25 a dozen! You can still get them on the internet.
[/quote]

Many threads on this already, the version at Walmart is a reissue of the original 3-piece TP Red, not the 4-piece TP Red LDP that everyone raves about. They are completely different balls and the 4-piece TP Red LDP is all but extinct.

I have 3 sleeves of the Tp Red LDP 4 piece brand new if anyone wants em.

Titleist TS2 11.5 (B2) w/Oban Kiyoshi White 65(04)
Adams Super Hybrid XTD 2012 15/19 deg w/fubuki AX 
Exotics CB ProH 21 w/UST Recoil 670 F4
Callaway Apex 4,6-PW w/UST Recoil 680 F4
Mizuno MP R-12 49/54/59/64 w/Nippon 1150
Bettinardi Signature Series 6 Midslim2.0
SM Three 5, Snell MTB-X

Still have 2 dozen brand new TP Red LDPs in the closet that will probably never see the course, ever. Such a great ball and such a horrific death. :(

TM '16 M2 9.5*/stock S
TM '16 M2 3w 15*/stock S
TM '16 M2 3h 19*/stock S
TM RSi TP 4-PW/KBS Tour S
TM Milled Grind 52*/56*/60*
TM Ghost Tour Black Daytona SuperStroke