2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

It is getting out of control with fans yelling stuff after players hit! (merged)

Eec55

That fact that this thread is already 10 pages long is another reason why this will never stop. I am going to scream "Mashed Potatoes" this weekend when my buddy tees off though....

Titleist TSR4 10° Atmos Blue 7X

Titleist TSR3 15° Tensei Blue 80TX

Titleist 818H2 19° Ventus Blue HB 9TX
Titleist U505 18° Tour AD IZ 95 X

Titleist T200 4, T100 5-PW PX 6.5

Titleist Vokey SM9 50°F X100/54°D/60°M TI S400
Odyssey ProType 2 34"

TaylorMade TP5

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the water left comment was funny and had I been Sergio I prob would have laughed.

When its EVERY HOLE I can't stand listening to the same idiot hell the same thing. Throw them out.

Nike Str8t Fit w/ Accra Dymatch 2.0 MT60
TEE CB4 15* Fujikura Rombax 7V05
TEE CB4 19* Matrix Studio 94
Adams CMB w/ Recoil Prototypes 110 F4 4-GW
Miura 1957 55C Modus3 Tour 120
Fourteen MT28V5 60* Modus3 Tour 120
<a href="Machine M2A Converter" title="WITB Link" target="_blank">WITB Link</a>

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='stixman' timestamp='1369559938' post='7109046']
If I make a nuisance of myself shouting 'Ina Hole', or 'Mashed Potato', I shall be regarded with simpering approval. Shall I be chucked out of the venue by corporate heavies for shouting 'Fried Chicken'?
[/quote]

Stix, exactly what I thought when the F'd Chicken card resurfaced.

Should be interesting. They are letting "mashed potatoes" go, I am curious to see how an "F'd Chicken" bomb would play out.

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

Jack has updated the cell phone policy at The Memorial next week - cell phone usage will be strictly enforced.

We can only hope the policy for yelling stupid, attention grabbing phrases will be enforced as well. If it happens at the 2013 event my money is on Jack doing something about it asap!

The announcers have been making fun of this yelling (off and on) for a few years now, I really hope The Golden Bear will be the first major step in putting an end to it.

[quote name='Password Is Taco' timestamp='1369613140' post='7111890']
Jack has updated the cell phone policy at The Memorial next week - cell phone usage will be strictly enforced.

We can only hope the policy for yelling stupid, attention grabbing phrases will be enforced as well. If it happens at the 2013 event my money is on Jack doing something about it asap!

The announcers have been making fun of this yelling (off and on) for a few years now, I really hope The Golden Bear will be the first major step in putting an end to it.
[/quote]

My heart is with you but my head says 'No chance!'. The genie's been out of the bottle for years, no putting it back. Now the Tiger haters know what gets under his skin do you really think, or even hope, this shouting thing is going to be contained.
Maybe in Europe where galleries are generally better informed about golf and conduct themselves in a more respectful way, it won't be so much of a problem, but in the US golf zoo atmosphere I can't see it

[quote name='Playaway' timestamp='1369666373' post='7114402']
You guys do realize that some here are those guys that WANT to yell "mashed potatoes" or whatever else. They are hiding in plain sight.
[/quote]

Again, 100% correct. So, who is going to deny them their right to freedom of expression? Jack? As I suggested, it isn't going to happen, and there is a 'new' F'd Chicken shout to their armoury, or maybe Fried Potatoes if they get it mixed up. LOL .

[quote name='stixman' timestamp='1369667176' post='7114466']
You guys do realize that some here are those guys that WANT to yell "mashed potatoes" or whatever else. They are hiding in plain sight.
[/quote]

Again, 100% correct. So, who is going to deny them their right to freedom of expression? Jack? As I suggested, it isn't going to happen, and there is a 'new' F'd Chicken shout to their armoury, or maybe Fried Potatoes if they get it mixed up. LOL .
[/quote]

Most Americans know how rude it would be to yell fried chicken at Tiger.

[quote name='stixman' timestamp='1369665097' post='7114318']

My heart is with you but my head says 'No chance!'. The genie's been out of the bottle for years, no putting it back. Now the Tiger haters know what gets under his skin do you really think, or even hope, this shouting thing is going to be contained.
Maybe in Europe where galleries are generally better informed about golf and conduct themselves in a more respectful way, it won't be so much of a problem, but in the US golf zoo atmosphere I can't see it
[/quote]

I don't think Europeans are better informed. I think it's more that because everyone else is quiet, you're quiet too. You're not going to be the one person to ruin it. People are more likely to throw their trash in the bins in a public place when the place is spotless. If there's already a lot of trash lying around, people can't be bother to throw their trash in the bin. It's like you say, it's become so common now it's almost considered normal behaviour.

[quote name='Baai' timestamp='1369674340' post='7114962']
[quote name='stixman' timestamp='1369665097' post='7114318']
[/quote]

I don't think Europeans are better informed. I think it's more that because everyone else is quiet, you're quiet too. You're not going to be the one person to ruin it. People are more likely to throw their trash in the bins in a public place when the place is spotless. If there's already a lot of trash lying around, people can't be bother to throw their trash in the bin. It's like you say, it's become so common now it's almost considered normal behaviour.
[/quote]

Fair point re behaviour, but about golf, I think galleries are more discerning, at the big events anyway. Then I listen to myself blethering on and all I have to go on is Golf Channel, so I suspect my attitude is based on what I see is broadcast. That may not be true of the broader picture.

[quote name='fore' timestamp='1369670534' post='7114700']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

From the mouths of babes . . . . . .

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

[quote name='Playaway' timestamp='1369677004' post='7115144']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]I'll remember that.. Next time Lee tee's off, I'm going to yell "Fish and Chips".. :)

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Not sure how Biblical quotes enter into this. I like to think that even the idiots that yell won't add attempts to be personally offensive to their repertoire.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It would be impolite of me to offer a comment

Not really certain why anyone gets upset about this - so long as people yell after (not during) the shot. Golf is just a sport. I personally don't feel the need to yell anything, but don't care if anyone else does if that is part of their enjoyment of the sport.

Pro golfers (as with most sports pros in any sport) get cheered. They get heckled. So what? They also can make a $1MM+ paycheck for four days work. And the only reason for this is because of fans.

IMO, FAR worse is the idiots that don't mute cellphones, or that snap photos (with an audible noise) during a swing.

But fans yelling during a sporting event? I mean, how is that bad.

Yes, Americans tend to be louder and more rambunctious than Europeans during golf. (Of course, they also don't tend to have massive riots or burn things after football games).

But the US PGA Tour also has by far the most money (for players) of any other tour. And maybe it is because its golf fans are so, er, enthusiastic.

Titleist TSR3 10.5* ~ Ventus TR Blue 58g

Titleist TSR2 15* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 18* ~ Tensei CK Pro Blue 60g

Titleist TSR2 21* (H) ~ Tensei AV Raw Blue 65g

Mizuno JPX 923 Forged, 4-6 ~ Aerotech SteelFiber i95

Mizuno Pro 245, 7-PW ~ Nippon NS Pro 950GH Neo

Miura Milled Tour Wedge QPQ 52* ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Miura Milled Tour Wedge High Bounce QPQ 58*HB-12 ~ KBS HI REV 2.0 SST

Scotty Special Select Squareback 2

Titleist Players glove, ProV1 Ball; Mizuno K1-LO Stand Bag, BR-D4C Cart Bag

[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]Most Americans know how rude it would be to yell fried chicken at Tiger.[/b]
[/quote] most Americans know how rude it is to shout out these stupid comments at these tournaments but its still happening

[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Driver Ping G400 10*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Hybrids Ping G30 17* 19*[/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font][font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222] [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Irons Ping i200 4//PW[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Wedges Ping Glide 50* 54* 60*[/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Putter Black Series [/color][/b][/font]
[font=tahoma][b][color=#B22222]Balls Bridgestone B330-RXS[/color][/b][/font]

[quote name='ron lefthanded holmes' timestamp='1369831372' post='7126678']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[b]Most Americans know how rude it would be to yell fried chicken at Tiger.[/b]
[/quote] most Americans know how rude it is to shout out these stupid comments at these tournaments but its still happening
[/quote]

True, but like I've already posted. "I[color=#282828] like to think that even the idiots that yell won't add attempts to be personally offensive to their repertoire."[/color]

[color=#282828]Fortunately the yelling isn't such an issue across the pond.[/color]

Attended the LPGA Seaview event in NJ last 3 days. Lot of fun since daughter is playing regional there in a couple months. There were maybe two "get in the hole" comments on par 4/5s which were annoying.

Another thing that surpised me was how much people in the crowd near the players talk and whisper (like we can't here you) when they shouldn't be. It's like the *ss hole next to the tee box when you are going through your preshot routine and you here him whispering to his bud and playing with his keys in his pocket because he doesn't realize the preshot routine is part of the shot. It wasn't a few but quite a lot. The marshals didn't help since they didn't raise their hands for silence until the player was about to pull the trigger on the swing or putt rather than when they start their preshot routine. Very weird. I know at my club if some ahole is talking during your preshot routine approaching the ball and does it twice he/she will probably get a club wrapped around their head, so why do this people do it during this type of event?

Heading over to Merion for sunday finish on the 16th. Hopefully fans are more serious have greater respect for the game and players.