Dogs

calc61

[quote name='thug the bunny' timestamp='1396959995' post='9044861']
Forged that puppy is over the top cute. I would have kept him too.
[/quote]Thanks Thug.

I remember when I first took Springer to the vet and it was like two weeks after I adopted him. He weight 22 lbs and the vet said to arrive at an approximation of his adult weight, "double his present weight and add 10% for the high end," LMAO.

He's full grown and weighs 43lbs ;)

I've never had a dog that weighed less than 92-95lbs, lol.

However he's a great "lap" dog and is a good play mate for Brandy. When we go to the park, everyone still thinks that she's his mother, lol.

So I lucked into a designer dog, a Toy Rotty, LMAO :)

Have a great season :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='Forged4ever1' timestamp='1396966103' post='9045585']
[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1396961338' post='9044983']
What is the average life of a Rotty?
[/quote]The books say 8-12yo with the ave being 9-10yo. I've only had one(Brandy is my 5th) that passed before 9yo, and she was poisoned at the age of 8yo. She was in excellent health at the time, so I have no doubt that barring an unforeseen, late developed health condition/issue, she would've seen at least 11-12, though when they get past 10-11, it's sorta like a 75-80yo human in that they're fine today and gone tomorrow.

I've only had one "show" quality Rotty, that my P's gave me when they went from a home to a town home, and she passed at 10yo, the shortest life span of any of them.

All have come from solid blood lines and professional breeders because obviously, with a dog this size and temperament, that's critical. I have never had a single incident with any of them and all were very well socialized. The incident at the bar I do not count because ultimately, she was doing what she was bred to do, to protect.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Have a great season

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard
[/quote]

Man I was hoping to get one some day but if their life span is only that long I don't think so now. It would kill me to get attached to one and to see it go only after a decade.

What about a Pincher? They would be a good protector. What would their life expectancy be?

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1396970986' post='9046387']
[quote name='Forged4ever1' timestamp='1396966103' post='9045585']
[quote name='Joe85' timestamp='1396961338' post='9044983']
What is the average life of a Rotty?
[/quote]The books say 8-12yo with the ave being 9-10yo. I've only had one(Brandy is my 5th) that passed before 9yo, and she was poisoned at the age of 8yo. She was in excellent health at the time, so I have no doubt that barring an unforeseen, late developed health condition/issue, she would've seen at least 11-12, though when they get past 10-11, it's sorta like a 75-80yo human in that they're fine today and gone tomorrow.

I've only had one "show" quality Rotty, that my P's gave me when they went from a home to a town home, and she passed at 10yo, the shortest life span of any of them.

All have come from solid blood lines and professional breeders because obviously, with a dog this size and temperament, that's critical. I have never had a single incident with any of them and all were very well socialized. The incident at the bar I do not count because ultimately, she was doing what she was bred to do, to protect.

Thanks for taking the time to post.

Have a great season

Richard
[/quote]

Man I was hoping to get one some day but if their life span is only that long I don't think so now. It would kill me to get attached to one and to see it go only after a decade.

What about a Pincher? They would be a good protector. What would their life expectancy be?
[/quote]Hey Joe, hope all's well!

I wouldn't let that stop you cuz Dobes are about the same, possibly at the lower end of that range, because my P's had two, both very well bred, and one lived to 8yo and one 9yo. They both passed from a stroke, and as they are a higher strung dog, both the age and COD(Cause of Death) is not unusual. Typically, and there are some studies out there from the Vet colleges, dogs over 30 lbs generally have a shorter life span, around a decade, give or take. With a lot of the recent(last 20-30 years) genetic "engineering," and this may be the wrong word but I'm stuck to think of a better one, so if it's incorrect, please correct me, however a lot of the breeders of show quality dogs, have bred other physical traits into the breeds, and I'm thinking specifically of the Sheppard and Rotty, because if you look at the show dogs, their hips are "shorter" than in the past and this places a lot of stress on the joints, especially for a big dog and especially as they age. Arthritis is a very prevelent condition in both breeds as they age.

The other thing is, and this is based on my experiences with my P's Dobes, and that is that the Rotty is a much more "social" dog. They never had a single problem with the Dobes, and like with the Rotty, bloodlines are extremely important, along with establishing right out of the gate who the Alpha is, especially with a Rotty, as they are very obstinate, lol, and will push you as an owner, though not in a bad way or dangerous way, just like a typical young Alpha employee would, lol. I prefer Alphas, whether it be a dog, employee or Woman, lol.

I was very fortunate(actually my Father found him, lol) in finding a breeder who went "against the grain," and continues to breed his Rottys as a "working" dog, as they were originally bred for, versus the show Rotty appearence, which obviously is not as rugged or durable.

An owner of show Rotty would counter that I have no proof of my opinion and I'm mistaken, though I've spoken to breeders who are very respected and this is their opinion.

I would not let the ave life expectancy detour you on getting one of these dogs, regardless of your choice, because the loyalty, love and memories that you will experience far outweighs the fear of death. I wouldn't trade a minute of my time with any of them and I've got memories for a life time, as I'm sure every Guy on here does.

Not to get too far off, however I really believe that with a dog(and I guess a good Woman ;) ), to Love and have lost is far better than to never have Loved at all.

I'm on meds, so if that's over the top, forgive me, lol :)

I've also enclosed a thread from PetMD regarding different breeds' life expectancy:

http://m.petmd.com/dog/wellness/evr_dg_how_long_do_dogs_live

Well, whatever your decision, have fun with em, cuz they're a riot, regardless of the breed!

Have a great week :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I live in not the best neighborhood (house robbed once, cars broken into) so a Rotty is at the top of my list. That and a Pincher and probably Sheppard.

Thanks for the post, Forged.

Regards.

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

[b]The other thing is, and this is based on my experiences with my P's Dobes, and that is that the Rotty is a much more "social" dog.[/b]

I dont think I'd go as far as saying Rottys are more social than Dobermans (I've had both, and currently have a doberman) and if anything I think its slightly skewed the other way around. Both the Dobermans ive had [i]hate[/i] to be alone, they actually crave socialization, Dobermans are not the"junkyard, sole protector, live outside" dog that they used to be portrayed as, they will be attached to the hip of their master or other dogs.

TM R1 Blk NS Pro Regio MB
TM R11 TP Fujikura Speeder
Titleist 710 CB KBS Tour
Titleist Vokey SM 52.08 56.11 60.04
Bettinardi BB16 34"

[quote name='Kuz013' timestamp='1396978526' post='9047635']
[b]The other thing is, and this is based on my experiences with my P's Dobes, and that is that the Rotty is a much more "social" dog.[/b]

I dont think I'd go as far as saying Rottys are more social than Dobermans (I've had both, and currently have a doberman) and if anything I think its slightly skewed the other way around. Both the Dobermans ive had [i]hate[/i] to be alone, they actually crave socialization, Dobermans are not the"junkyard, sole protector, live outside" dog that they used to be portrayed as, they will be attached to the hip of their master or other dogs.
[/quote]Absolutely, I would agree with you on the general portrayal of Dobes, and that is why I tried to stress that that was MY experience and I was not speaking for the breed. Hell, I've never even owned one so my experiences were as a house guest, lol.

I do know that while the Dobes obviously loved my Father, as he did most of the training, they were attached to my Mother's hip, lol. And when my mother used to leave the den and go up to bed before my Father, Kaiser would go with her, and if my Father went first, she would stay in the room until my Mother went.

If my Farher was home alone, then Kaiser would go with him wherever he went, and he loved to go to the field with my Father when he would go hit balls to get away versus at the club. Kaiser would run out and bring some balls back to him. It was hillarious.

I didn't mean to paint them in a negative light, and tried to stress it was just my observation, however I believe that you can't go wrong with any of the three(and a sheppard).

My Father had more exposure to Rotties and shepherds in the Teams, though he loves the sleekness and grace of the Dobe. LoL, I like the beef and barrel chest of the Rotty, lol.

Have a great week Kuze :)

My Best,
Richard

My mother sent this to me today and I thought that it was pretty cool. I'm extremely IT challenged and I tried to post it from her e-mail however something about encryption an other stuff basically saying that I couldn't post it as it was, hense, this. Hey, WTH, I'm sitting here having my IVs, so what the hell else do I have to do, lol.

Have a good one

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard

[quote name='Forged4ever1' timestamp='1396986578' post='9048683']
My mother sent this to me today and I thought that it was pretty cool. I'm extremely IT challenged and I tried to post it from her e-mail however something about encryption an other stuff basically saying that I couldn't post it as it was, hense, this. Hey, WTH, I'm sitting here having my IVs, so what the hell else do I have to do, lol.

Have a good one

Richard
[/quote]

Good Grief, shouldn't this come with a warning....Danger, if you read this you're going to have to spend the next hour in a closet so your coworkers don't see you crying.

[quote name='dukeman' timestamp='1396989697' post='9049017']

Have a good one

Richard
[/quote]

Good Grief, shouldn't this come with a warning....Danger, if you read this you're going to have to spend the next hour in a closet so your coworkers don't see you crying.
[/quote]LMAO, I started to read it while hooked to an IV this morning and the meds tend to amplify whatever feelings/emotions that you are presently feeling, be they good/bad, happy/sad, LMAO

I kid you not, I got a little less than 1/2 way and put it away till later, lol.

Have a good one :)

My Best,
Richard

Thanks Richard.....I'm crying now, are you happy? :)

That was beautiful....and so true. I just lost my 16 yr old Cocker in January and am still not "over it" completely & I doubt I ever will be, but two weeks ago we got a 6-yr old Cocker from the Cocker Rescue Org in Austin. He's perfect in every way for us, and is helping heal the pain we still feel. If I could figure out how to post a pic I would....but it eludes me!!! Anyone who can give me a step by step tutoring I'd appreciate it immensely. It cannot be that hard can it???

[quote name='Kaysquare' timestamp='1396998448' post='9049859']

That was beautiful....and so true. I just lost my 16 yr old Cocker in January and am still not "over it" completely & I doubt I ever will be, but two weeks ago we got a 6-yr old Cocker from the Cocker Rescue Org in Austin. He's perfect in every way for us, and is helping heal the pain we still feel. If I could figure out how to post a pic I would....but it eludes me!!! Anyone who can give me a step by step tutoring I'd appreciate it immensely. It cannot be that hard can it???
[/quote]Kay, what kind of tele do you have?

And you're welcome, I'm glad that you liked the verse-

My Best,
Richard

I'd like to say that they're are no minuses to having a dog, but the truth is it's a LOT of RESPONSIBILITY! Definitely don't commit until you're absolutely certain you can provide for the dog and that you'll have time for it. One thing I miss about my pre-dog owning days was the freedom to up and travel anytime I felt like it. That being said, I wouldn't trade the little guy for the world! Just be sure it's the right time for you.

[quote name='Forged4ever1' timestamp='1397000324' post='9050013']

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]Is "tele" like in telephone??? Believe it or not, I don't use a cellphone for much of anything....only emergencies, & I have a very old Tracfone, which I rarely use...only when I travel....hate the thing. I have a digital camera though. I can upload photos on my Facebook, or in emails, that sort of thing. But other than emails & just simple surfing the web (shopping & such) I'm computer illiterate. I gave it all up when I retired, & haven't looked back :no2:

[quote name='Kaysquare' timestamp='1397002137' post='9050197']
[quote name='Forged4ever1' timestamp='1397000324' post='9050013']

That was beautiful....and so true. I just lost my 16 yr old Cocker in January and am still not "over it" completely &amp; I doubt I ever will be, but two weeks ago we got a 6-yr old Cocker from the Cocker Rescue Org in Austin. He's perfect in every way for us, and is helping heal the pain we still feel. If I could figure out how to post a pic I would....but it eludes me!!! Anyone who can give me a step by step tutoring I'd appreciate it immensely. It cannot be that hard can it???

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]Is "tele" like in telephone??? Believe it or not, I don't use a cellphone for much of anything....only emergencies, &amp; I have a very old Tracfone, which I rarely use...only when I travel....hate the thing. I have a digital camera though. I can upload photos on my Facebook, or in emails, that sort of thing. But other than emails &amp; just simple surfing the web (shopping &amp; such) I'm computer illiterate. I gave it all up when I retired, &amp; haven't looked back :no2:
[/quote]Yes, I was speaking of your telephone and hoping that you, one, had an iPhone, and two, used that to come in the site, lol, because I use mine to go on the forum, and I can only post pics from my telephone, not my computer, lol.

I wasn't exaggerating when I said that I was challenged. I'm sure that one of the other guys will be able to assist you with posting though I would just like to say that that is fantastic about the Cocker that you and your wife got!! That was a very kind act that you did by going through the Rescue League!

Enjoy your little one and I do hope that you can post pics soon-

Richard

[quote name='dukeman' timestamp='1396989697' post='9049017']

Have a good one

Richard
[/quote]

[/quote]

Roger that. I'm glad I'm isolated in my cube..whew!

[quote name='thug the bunny' timestamp='1397049016' post='9053255']
[size=5][sup]Kaysquare, below and to the right of the reply box is a button titled 'More Reply Options'. Click on that and you will see an 'Attachment' button. Use that to upload files from your machine. We want to see your rescue cocker![/sup][/size]
[/quote]Sounds easy enough....I tried it & got 3 copies of one photo, but I'm in a hurry now to our first ladies day golf of the season & will try again when I get home this afternoon. Thanks!

[quote name='Kaysquare' timestamp='1397078410' post='9056559']
[attachment=2167853:006.JPG]Okay, here's Riley, our rescue Cocker Spaniel. He's perfect for us, about 6 yrs old.....we don't do puppies any more. Adult dogs are so much easier, & you know exactly what you're getting (size, temperament, housebroken, etc).
[/quote]

I love the doggy 'head tilt'. He's a cutie, hard to believe someone would abandon him.

A local 9 hole par three course... the owners have a Rottweiler that is pushing 9 years old. He has the run of the property and is in great shape. A very nice dog. He's been around people since a pup. The owners know he is approaching the end of his life span and recently picked up a puppy Rottweiler. He REALLY likes people. I'm so impressed with these dogs. If my life style allowed for a dog a Rottweiler would be high on the list.
Grew up with Beagle's, English Pointers, and Labs.

PING G25 12 degree w/S+ @ 45"
Titleist 910F 17° / 910h 24° & 27°
Titleist 913Hd 20°
PING G25's 6-U KBS Tour - V
Cleveland RTX 53 / 588 56°
Callaway ProType ix 9ht

[quote name='thug the bunny' timestamp='1397133616' post='9060519']
[quote name='Kaysquare' timestamp='1397078410' post='9056559']
[attachment=2167853:006.JPG]Okay, here's Riley, our rescue Cocker Spaniel. He's perfect for us, about 6 yrs old.....we don't do puppies any more. Adult dogs are so much easier, & you know exactly what you're getting (size, temperament, housebroken, etc).
[/quote]

I love the doggy 'head tilt'. He's a cutie, hard to believe someone would abandon him.
[/quote]Riley wasn't abandoned, so much as just neglected. His owner was a very elderly man who just could no longer take care of him. Riley spent the last 4 yrs in a backyard only, with no trips to the vet or the groomer. He was fed & watered most days, but that's it. This little guy is such a love bug & so social it's unbelievable, having been so isolated from people for so long. Rescues are just soooo appreciative!

If anyone is looking for a particular breed of dog, most every state has rescue groups for that breed....just check out precise breed rescue groups in your state, you'll find some links. The best rescue groups find these dogs & foster them with people who own several of that breed & they can best evaluate the rescue's temperament & health. The adoption fees are more than what you'd pay at a shelter, but the dog you get will be vet-checked head to toe, teeth cleaned, groomed, socialized & cared for and you'll know what you're getting. Like whether the dog will be good with small children, other dogs, cats, housebroken, crate-trained, leash-trained, micro-chipped, etc. It's a very worthwhile investment.

[quote name='Baby Blue' timestamp='1397140563' post='9061237']
Not a fan of dogs at all.
Pro: protection.

Cons: have to feed them, have to clean up after them, requires attention that can be used in other avenues. They bite, plus many more...
[/quote]

Well those of us who have had dogs all our lives know that dogs offer much more than just protection. It's been shown through various studies that dogs also have the ability to greatly increase quality of life for those around it. Dogs are used for therapeutic purposes in schools, hospitals, and homes. They're wonderful creatures and it's a shame that more people don't treat them the way they should be treated.

And a thank you to you for knowing that you don't appreciate them therefore will not include one as part of your life. Those are often times the dogs that bite and need serious emotional rehabilitation.

Cons: have to feed them, have to clean up after them, requires attention that can be used in other avenues. They bite, plus many more...
[/quote]

I don't understand nor trust people who don't like dogs.

And, thanks for coming onto a 'Dogs' thread to let us know you don't like them. That's like going to a church to let people know you don't believe in God.

[/quote]You're entitled to feel that way for sure, but if you ever have children who desperately want a puppy, please talk them into
getting a fish, or a turtle, or even a snake.

[quote name='Fisher' timestamp='1397063376' post='9054933']
Not the best photo.. but this is my beast, Cassidy. She's (we think) Plott Hound/Staffordshire mix rescued from the Carolinas. Very challenging to train and continues to be a challenge to this day, but I wouldn't give her up for anything.
[/quote]Nah Dude, that's a great pic. These kind, the natural versus posed, are great!

Thanks for sharing :)

Have a great season!

Richard

[/quote]Dude, WTH?

I'm with Thug on this, though I guess that if something negative or traumatic happened to you, at least you've got a reason for those feelings.

The only thing that I'll say is that our lives are really a book in which, if were lucky enough, we can fill that book with memories. Some make us laugh, others make our BP rise, and unfortunately, a few make us cry. However I've got to tell you, and the last 3-4 years have been very trying for me health wise, and my Rotty, everytime I come home from the hospital or a day of radiation or therapy, she greets me just like she was a puppy, jumping around and licking me. I can't help but smile. My dogs, and I guarantee ya that every guy on here will second this, but my dogs have given me some of the most incredible moments and memories, and one thing that I know for damn sure, and I treat my dogs like kings and queens, though they've given me much more than I could ever give them.

Love, companionship & yes, if need be, protection, however, through 12 dogs, going back to childhood, the only biting incident, and remember every one of these dogs were/are a Rotty, Dobe and 2 sheppards, cept for this little munchkin that I've got now, was the guy comin through my bar's kitchen window at 3:00 in the morning.

However, the one thing that you cannot be with a dog, and that is selfish. If you are with a human, they can walk the hell out the door. However, like that verse above says, dogs will give you their last dying breath, however there is a small, and compared to what they will give you, it's minescule, however you have to take care of them, and yes, sometimes sacrifice for them.

So, it's good that you're honest about your feelings, because Sometimes, just like with a human being, you have to put someone or something above yourself.

Not all are cut out to be a caregiver for a pet, specifically a dog.

Well, thanks for droppin in amd welcome to the forum :)

Have a great season

Richard