Dogs

calc61

[quote name='Kaysquare' timestamp='1397145195' post='9061751']
[quote name='Baby Blue' timestamp='1397140563' post='9061237']
Not a fan of dogs at all.
Pro: protection.

Cons: have to feed them, have to clean up after them, requires attention that can be used in other avenues. They bite, plus many more...
[/quote]You're entitled to feel that way for sure, but if you ever have children who desperately want a puppy, please talk them into
getting a fish, or a turtle, or even a snake.
[/quote]

Cons: have to feed them, have to clean up after them, requires attention that can be used in other avenues. They bite, plus many more...
[/quote]You're entitled to feel that way for sure, but if you ever have children who desperately want a puppy, please talk them into
[/quote]

He won't have to worry about that because he won't have children. They have the same cons as a dog - you have to feed them, clean up after them, give them attention, etc. :rolleyes:

Fast 12LS/Classic Custom XL/King LTD
Super LS/Tisi Tec/F6 Baffler/Egg Spoon/CB1
Halo/4DX
X-20/XL2000/EX-1/GC Mid/TFT2003
ISI W2
X-Forged Vintage/Eye2+
WHT 7H

Morning Gents :)

My GF sent me these this morning of Springer as she's taking care of him while I'm in Cleveland.

I would like some feedback and it's kinda funny(at least to me, lol ;) ), cuz I've never ever asked one of those questions, "should I play this or that, etc.," though I ask a dog question in a golf site, lol. At least I'm in the correct thread, lol.

Ok, as I mentioned, Springer's 13-14 months old(they found him abandoned on the PA Turnpike at the Alle Valley Exit(used to be exit 5-Harmarville/Cheswick exit), so they guestamated that he was 4-6 weeks when they picked him up based on a call. Well, as you guys know, the Rescue Leugues don't so any cosmetic surgeries(they call em "vanity"), only the medically necessary surgeries, so they refused to bob his tail. With my health issues, that hasn't been a priority, though when I looked at the last pic, it reminds me of that frickin tail, lol.

Should I get it "bobbed," or let it go?

As you know, I've had Rotties since forever, and obviously everyone came to me sans tail.

However, though, he looks like a little Rotty(he's actually too "long," lol), he weighs 42-44lbs, half the weight of a small adult Rotty, and he's obviously got a lot of something else to be that small. I just thought that It'd look cool as hell being full grown with the markings of a Rotty, down to the tail.

My GF says nay, that the tail is "cute," especially when he gets excited, and it's like a propeller, lol.

Where I was once adament for it, I'm not as set on getting it done-

The Rescue League tried to say that to get it bobbed would be cruel, which I absolutely don't buy or agree with.

I still think that he'd look great as a "toy" Rotty, though is that just being selfish?

We both treat him like a king, and he sleeps with her in her bed, and next to me in mine when I'm home, so he's not deprived, lol

And another question- I always forget to ask the Vet, and that third pic reminded me, why do male dogs always lay(well a lot of the time it seems) with their back lags splayed like that? I mean, he's neutered, lol.

Thanks

Have a great day and enjoy the Tourney :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='JBent9610' timestamp='1397399164' post='9079235']

[/quote]

[/quote]

He won't have to worry about that because he won't have children. They have the same cons as a dog - you have to feed them, clean up after them, give them attention, etc. :rolleyes:
[/quote]And kids can bite too........

Richard....I would definitely NOT get the dog's tail docked. As a newborn, it's no big deal, but as an adult it would cause him much un-needed pain & the sheer width & size of the tail it's just not as easy to heal well. Leave him alone. Regarding the dog laying on the floor in the splayed out "froggie" position...I think they simply like the feel of a cool floor on their belly. My last Cocker laid that way now & then, but my new Cocker always lays that way.....he kind of sits that way too. It must just feel good. When we come in from a good walk & he's hot....he'll always find the coolest spot on the tile & spread out there.

Thanks for takin the time to respond. Yep, you're right, newborn, like a Rotty or Dobe, is one thing, plus, but he's too old to go through that, and it is cute the way he wags it when he's excited, and when he goes into "guard" mode(I gotta feeling that he'd be worthless but he stands right next to Brandy and it's funny as hell) his tail shoots straight out. Nah, I don't think I would've, but I'm definitely not. You're right, he's a little thing and hell, he's not a Rotty, or he's got at least half of something else, so the tail's gonna stay :)

And the splayed legs are a riot. I'm tellin ya what Baby Blue, you don't know what you're missing. Dogs, regardless of the Breed, even a "mutt" like my Springer, are cool as hell. Fun. Loving. And their love is unconditional. If you train them well, and love them unconditionally, as they will you, there are no cons, maybe a minor inconvenience or two, but it's nothing compare to what they give back to ya.

Thanks again Guys :)

My Best,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Brandy and Springer at play, lol.

That nala bone is as hard as a rock, and the only bone/toy that Brandy has not chewed up or just destroyed, lol.

And it is funny, because obviously, Brandy could just annihilate Springer, though she's very gentle, and probably 75-80% of the time, she lays down when they wrestle, and even Springer holds back, however it's probably because she doesn't want to piss Brandy off, lol

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard

**Excuse the orientation- I'll adjust when I have a few minutes.

Attached you will find Lord Faversham. He's a young english setter that I'm going to pick up at a north Georgia animal control center tomorrow. They found him walking up and down the road over the past couple of weeks. I'm told he's been very scared and timid but he's starting to loosen up and make some friends.

We're going to get him cleaned and polished and then find him a new home. I'll have the "After" pics up in a few days.

[quote name='dukeman' timestamp='1397775362' post='9114781']
Attached you will find Lord Faversham. He's a young english setter that I'm going to pick up at a north Georgia animal control center tomorrow. They found him walking up and down the road over the past couple of weeks. I'm told he's been very scared and timid but he's starting to loosen up and make some friends.

We're going to get him cleaned and polished and then find him a new home. I'll have the "After" pics up in a few days.
[/quote]thanks for all your help in taking care of this scared guy, I hope for this best. You are doing such a solid thing, wish you all the best
Cheers

[quote name='CHARGERS' timestamp='1397805315' post='9117275']
[quote name='dukeman' timestamp='1397775362' post='9114781']

[/quote]thanks for all your help in taking care of this scared guy, I hope for this best. You are doing such a solid thing, wish you all the best
Cheers
[/quote]

Update on Faversham...Found out that Faversham is Heartworm positive. i don't really have a set up to take care of a HW+ dog, so he's going to a more capable foster home in Ohio.

We're still going to get him cleaned and polished and into a permanent home, but it's going to take a little longer.

• 2 weeks later...

My pup has a new way of getting to the dog park. She loves it. I'm in the process of turning this old Gary Fisher Tassajara into a hybrid. All I really want to do next is get a shorter stem and change the tires to something quieter and smoother.

IMG_20140429_131355.jpg

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='thug the bunny' timestamp='1398865991' post='9202809']
He doesn't try to jump out? What if he sees a squirrel or something?

Just be safe with your pup Jim!
[/quote]I always hate driving behind anyone who has a dog in the back of their pickup truck. Construction workers in our neighborhood seem to think
this is a status symbol. :fie:

[/quote] My dog is very well trained. She walks off leash and points at a critter and will only go if I say she can. She knows to stay on sidewalks and roads are off limits. When she gets to an intersection she automatically sits and waits for command to cross. People have dog sat for me and she does the same thing with them. She is a really smart dog and one of the most laid back terriers you will ever see. I thought I would have to tether her to stay in at first, but she digs it and waits until I lift her out. She is 7 now and I know her very well.

PING G25 4-UW CFS

Jim, CX tires would work well I thimk.

I have some Kenda K838's on the way.

51KML-m-mxL.jpg

I can't wait to hit the road with the pup. We have wide sidewalks up and down A1a (inter-coastal N-S highway)that are nice and smooth. There are a bunch of parks we can ride to.

PING G25 4-UW CFS

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1399063066' post='9220075']

[/quote] My dog is very well trained. She walks off leash and points at a critter and will only go if I say she can. She knows to stay on sidewalks and roads are off limits. When she gets to an intersection she automatically sits and waits for command to cross. People have dog sat for me and she does the same thing with them. She is a really smart dog and one of the most laid back terriers you will ever see. I thought I would have to tether her to stay in at first, but she digs it and waits until I lift her out. She is 7 now and I know her very well.
[/quote]Good for you & your Jack Russell Terrier....they are super smart dogs. We had one once but she went into severe kidney failure & 3 yrs old & we sadly had to put her down. It seems her kidneys were still the size of a 6-wk old puppy's and just could not function any longer. She was well-behaved too (for a JRT), but I started her very young in obedience training. JRT's suffer from no lack of self-esteem!! :)

After having to put down one of our bulldogs last month, my family just got the news that one of our other bulldogs (the one I grew up with) has cancer. Life just isn't fair.

Titleist TSi3 10* w/ Tour AD GP-6
Titleist U510 16* w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
Titleist 818H2 21* w/ Alidila Rogue 
Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/56/60
Scotty Cameron 009 1.5 Neck

[quote name='Arizonalefty59' timestamp='1399333268' post='9238297']
After having to put down one of our bulldogs last month, my family just got the news that one of our other bulldogs (the one I grew up with) has cancer. Life just isn't fair.
[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear the horrible news. I hope the dogs remaining time is filled with treats and plenty of loving!

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

[quote name='jlt73' timestamp='1399336536' post='9238685']
[/quote]

I'm sorry to hear the horrible news. I hope the dogs remaining time is filled with treats and plenty of loving!
[/quote]

Unfortunately, by the time dogs become symptomatic from the cancer, it's too late to do anything. Enjoy what little time you have left, then you have to make the hard/painful decision. I've been there and it sucks.

[quote name='Jim Clark' timestamp='1399386869' post='9241875']
[quote name='jlt73' timestamp='1399336536' post='9238685']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Unfortunately, by the time dogs become symptomatic from the cancer, it's too late to do anything. Enjoy what little time you have left, then you have to make the hard/painful decision. I've been there and it sucks.
[/quote]
Thankfully we caught it very early, she had a little growth on her back toe. We thought it was just an ingrown hair and we took her to the vets to have it drained but when it didn't drain they thought something was off. She is still very energetic and you'd think nothing was wrong with her. Hoping for the best.

Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100

We just lost our Boston Terrier Cameron last Friday night at age 13. I got home from golf about 6:30 and he was in a lot of distress. His breathing was labored and he was acting like he'd had a stroke. We rushed him to the emergency animal hospital and they sedated him, but there was nothing they could do. We had to make the painful decision to put him to sleep. As much as it hurt to do, we felt it was for the best. He had been sick since early March and I hated to see him suffer.

In December of 2011 he was diagnosed with cancer and had a large tumor in his neck. Miraculously after 4 radiation treatments the tumor went away and he was fine for almost 2 1/2 years. In early March they found blood clots in his heart and lungs and he was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease. He had good days and bad, but it was at this point that he really started to decline. Ultimately, one of the blood clots broke loose and (we think) caused the stroke.

He lived a great long life and at the end, I think, we owe our animal companions the dignity of going out without suffering. There really is no other way to put it. It is a difficult decision to make, but now he is at peace. The house is quiet and lonely but the memories will always be there.

PING G Kuro Kage HBP 60
Callaway XR16 3 & 5W Tensei CK Blue 70
PING G25 23 Hybrid GD Tour AD 85g Hyb
Callaway Apex CF16 5-GW Recoil 780ES
Callaway MD3 54 & 58 Recoil 110
TaylorMade Spider Tour Red / SS Flatso 1.0
Bridgestone Tour B330

[quote name='Backspin9' timestamp='1399403155' post='9243925']
We just lost our Boston Terrier Cameron last Friday night at age 13. I got home from golf about 6:30 and he was in a lot of distress. His breathing was labored and he was acting like he'd had a stroke. We rushed him to the emergency animal hospital and they sedated him, but there was nothing they could do. We had to make the painful decision to put him to sleep. As much as it hurt to do, we felt it was for the best. He had been sick since early March and I hated to see him suffer.

In December of 2011 he was diagnosed with cancer and had a large tumor in his neck. Miraculously after 4 radiation treatments the tumor went away and he was fine for almost 2 1/2 years. In early March they found blood clots in his heart and lungs and he was diagnosed with Cushing's Disease. He had good days and bad, but it was at this point that he really started to decline. Ultimately, one of the blood clots broke loose and (we think) caused the stroke.

He lived a great long life and at the end, I think, we owe our animal companions the dignity of going out without suffering. There really is no other way to put it. It is a difficult decision to make, but now he is at peace. The house is quiet and lonely but the memories will always be there.
[/quote]You know you did the kindest thing for your dog that anyone could do. There's only one thing worse than putting a beloved dog down too soon, and that is doing it too late. When we had to say goodbye to our precious 16-yr old Cocker In January it was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, and I've had to put other dogs down, but this one was just different. I'm still not over it, never will be. I can tell you though that getting another dog is helping to heal the pain we still feel. It took me a couple months to even think about another dog though, but once I made the decision, I couldn't get one soon enough. My avatar is my new Cocker, Riley, and he's a delight. He's a totally different personality than our previous Cocker, but we knew we'd never duplicate that one, & shouldn't expect to.

[/quote]
I'm sorry for your loss, but you did the right thing. The dog our family had to put to sleep last month was in a lot of pain because of her hips and putting her down was the hardest decision we've ever had to make. The toughest time I had was when I would go to feed my pups and only fix 2 bowls instead of 3 that's when it really hit me hard.

Dogs are amazing. A world without dogs is a world I wouldn't want to live in.

Titleist 712 AP2 w/ X100

This is Earl. He's a 3-4 year old English Setter and my current foster dog. I couldn't get a worthy picture of him, so I used this painting instead. It's a fair likeness.

Earl is a 45 pound tri-color. He's just been neutered and has up to date health records.

I can't say for sure, but I think he has had at least some hunting training. He tracks birds/squirrels relentlessly and has a beautiful set. I don't know how he would be around guns, but I'm guessing he has been around them before.

He has a very sweet disposition around people and tends to ignore other dogs. He will growl back if threatened, but he doesn't go looking for fights.

Please PM me if you or someone you know might want to provide a permanent home for Earl.

[attachment=2214919:Earl.jpg]

I've been thinking the last couple of weeks:

I can't have a dog at my current residence (lease restriction), but I would [i]love [/i]to get involved with a guide dog organization, especially therapy dogs for veterans. I don't really think an explanation is needed, given that you guys are dog lovers it's really a no-brainer what kind of a difference they can make in people's lives.

Are any of you currently involved or aware of opportunities to do so?

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

[quote name='GooseHook' timestamp='1399554912' post='9255947']
I've been thinking the last couple of weeks:

I can't have a dog at my current residence (lease restriction), but I would [i]love [/i]to get involved with a guide dog organization, especially therapy dogs for veterans. I don't really think an explanation is needed, given that you guys are dog lovers it's really a no-brainer what kind of a difference they can make in people's lives.

Are any of you currently involved or aware of opportunities to do so?
[/quote]Check out [url="http://www.fidosforfreedom.org"]http://www.fidosforfreedom.org[/url] It's a service dog organization that works in the Baltimore & surrounding areas. Orgs like this always appreciate volunteers in whatever area you want to work, or if you want to learn how to train & evaluate dogs to become therapy dogs. Good luck...hope you can find a very rewarding activity to get involved in. You don't have to own a dog, to love them & work with them.

My pup has a new way of getting to the dog park. She loves it. I'm in the process of turning this old Gary Fisher Tassajara into a hybrid. All I really want to do next is get a shorter stem and change the tires to something quieter and smoother.

IMG_20140429_131355.jpg

Fantastic pic!!

And the Pup's adorable :)

Have a great season Jim,

My Best,

Richard

Passing time in my doc's office. Since I presently spend more time at the hospital than at home, My Mother or GF, whomever drives me to Cleveland, will sometimes bring Springer. He's a blast, and in all seriousness, he's much better therapy than the frickin group sessions. They're supposed to help people deal with their cancer, and I've got absolutely no problem "opening up," just not about me, lol. Plus, they're depressing.

Springer's always "up" and makes me smile and laugh.

He rotated between my GF's house and my P's when I'm away.

Well, have a great week Gals & Gents-

Oh, and Kay, excellent suggestion for Goose to be and around develop relationships with dogs!!

Well done!! :)

My Best,
Richard

[/quote]Thoughts & Prayers

My Best,
Richardp