Bandon Dunes vs Pebble Beach...

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1384744142' post='8164800']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1384738784' post='8164386']
[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1384730773' post='8163696']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1384729391' post='8163580']
I disagree. $500 is a complete ripoff. They ask that much because they can get that much. Price gouging at it's finest. I'm all for folks making a profit, but that's ridiculous.
[/quote]

That's a ton of America's "Greatest Courses" you're not going to experience then. I agree some of these green fees are silly, but supply and demand being what it is, that's the pay to play price.

Yes I can play my local track 15 or so times for the price of 1 round on some of these high end courses, but I enjoy these courses for their design features, routings, and to see how one architect and era presents the challenge to the golfer versus another.

It's much in the same way while the Rockies and the Alps are mountain ranges, it's great to experience them both and appreciate their differences.
[/quote]

Then I won't. :-)

As I said, I don't mind people making a profit...I'm all for free enterprise...but c'mon, $500? Someone also told me they charge $90 for a dozen ProV's. Really?

I like different designs too, but...
[/quote]

You know what, I wouldn't bet they are far off that TBH, as they charge $100 for rental clubs. We played with guys staying there, paying full whack, and with rental clubs and sundries (we were there via NCGA), eyes water thinking what they were spending.

One of the many great things about Bandon is their offseason rates. You get them for mid range public course/muni rates in the winter :)
[/quote]

I'd like to play Bandon some day. :-)

I took up golf late in life. Play most of my golf at my practice facility, so haven't played many different venues. Heard/read a lot of nice things about Bandon.

ps: I couldn't play rentals Duffer, as I need +1-inch and 3º up. :-)

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. $500 is a complete ripoff. They ask that much because they can get that much. Price gouging at it's finest. I'm all for folks making a profit, but that's ridiculous.
[/quote]

That's a ton of America's "Greatest Courses" you're not going to experience then. I agree some of these green fees are silly, but supply and demand being what it is, that's the pay to play price.

Yes I can play my local track 15 or so times for the price of 1 round on some of these high end courses, but I enjoy these courses for their design features, routings, and to see how one architect and era presents the challenge to the golfer versus another.

It's much in the same way while the Rockies and the Alps are mountain ranges, it's great to experience them both and appreciate their differences.
[/quote]

As I said, I don't mind people making a profit...I'm all for free enterprise...but c'mon, $500? Someone also told me they charge $90 for a dozen ProV's. Really?

[/quote]

Supply and demand. It can suck sometimes ;-)

Having played PB last year, I cant disagree with either argument. It is an amazing facility that I think every golf fan should play once - to me there has been nothing like standing on the 7th tee at PB - unless it was the walk up the 6th hole taking in the whole scene. Nothing like it. However, once you turn away from the ocean, it is very much just any other course. The 2nd time I played it I felt that way even more.

However I realized this weekend that as an East Coaster who lives near three major airports - I will never get to Bandon. It is a 7 hour non stop flight for me to get to Dublin or 9 to get to Scotland. To get to Portland is a 6 hour nonstop flight plus a 5 hour drive from there. I just dont see doing that trip before I did an Ireland/Scotland trip.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1384744142' post='8164800']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You know what, I wouldn't bet they are far off that TBH, as they charge $100 for rental clubs. We played with guys staying there, paying full whack, and with rental clubs and sundries (we were there via NCGA), eyes water thinking what they were spending.

One of the many great things about Bandon is their offseason rates. You get them for mid range public course/muni rates in the winter :)
[/quote]

We went to Bandon in March. I've traditionally done a Myrtle trip in March/April. Somewhat apples/oranges since that's peak time/pricing in MYR, but the Bandon trip all-in cost $300-500 more than the MYR trip. Not insignificant, but a relatively small upcharge to change the experience and courses from MYR to Bandon.

The offseason rates at Bandon make it the most affordable quality golf there is. Yes, you're rolling the dice a bit with weather, but you're rolling the dice with weather on the Oregon coast at any time of year.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1384775248' post='8165778']
Having played PB last year, I cant disagree with either argument. It is an amazing facility that I think every golf fan should play once - to me there has been nothing like standing on the 7th tee at PB - unless it was the walk up the 6th hole taking in the whole scene. Nothing like it. However, once you turn away from the ocean, it is very much just any other course. The 2nd time I played it I felt that way even more.

However I realized this weekend that as an East Coaster who lives near three major airports - I will never get to Bandon. It is a 7 hour non stop flight for me to get to Dublin or 9 to get to Scotland. To get to Portland is a 6 hour nonstop flight plus a 5 hour drive from there. I just dont see doing that trip before I did an Ireland/Scotland trip.
[/quote]

Being from New England, I struggled with that too. It's a lot of travel, no doubt. And the logistics that we use (I won't bore you with the details) resulted in everybody feeling like it was a pretty painless trip traveling-wise last year. We'll see if our expanded group feels the same way this year.

The thing I like about Bandon, as opposed to any of the other golf-trip venues I've visited, is that once you're there, you're done traveling. No drive from condo to course, course to another course, course to dinner, dinner to condo - etc. Everything's there, and it's very relaxing. So I can get over the travel hump knowing that I have 4 days of golf and time with friends that are unstressed by any travel concerns.

[quote name='Texsport' timestamp='1384728294' post='8163480']
Pebble Beach, while having the ocean on holes 6-10 and 17-18, also has some very ordinary stretches of holes - 1-3 and 15-16. (Nearly 1/3 of its holes). And, of course, there's the weather at PBS - also responsible for a fair amount of its history.

No such multi-weak hole weakness exists at Pacific Dunes for instance - and Pacific also has more spectacular ocean interface and weather.

I spoke to a former PGA Tour player about it today. He remembered hitting a 3-iron to hit #7 at PBS once, and said that the only thing that makes PBS challenging is the weather there.

[b]Without the ocean, And weather, PBS would not be as good as as lot of inland courses.[/b]

There are many old courses with lots of major championship history, which are now too short to hold championships, making all that history irrelevant.

PBS and thr Peninsula courses are great, but they're not in the same league as Bandon IMO.

Texsport
[/quote]

But you can't talk abut Pebble and take away those things because they are part of what makes the course what it is. That would be like saying Bandon without the firm conditions and big greens would be like another course.

Anyway, I' guess I'm an oddity in that I actually liked Pebbles inland holes. And I readily admit a big part of it may have been just the overwhelming feeling of excitement of actually being there. But I enjoyed the tee shot on three, trying to pick a line and work the ball off the bunkers, the third shot into 14, our caddie telling my buddy has he was about to chip onto #11, "this is the fastest shot you've ever had". I can still remember all the inland holes. They may well be like other holes on other courses, but I'm guessing that Bandon also has some holes that would be awfully similar to something you might find at the Prairie Club, Steamsong in Florida, or Ballyneal (again, I haven't played there so that is pure speculation).

I also readily admit that playing Pebble a second time could very well take off some of the luster of the memories, for me anyway, the anticipation of finally playing there was such a huge factor.

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1384775248' post='8165778']

[/quote]

The drive from Portland isn't as bad as its mostly interstate and you also have the option of driving HW101 all the way down the Oregon Coast. By the time you arrive at the resort from a drive from Eugene or Portland you definitely feel that you're on the edge of the continent.

Course Routings:
Old Macdonald only has a few ocean views which are on the 7th (8th tee) and 15th greens making this course mostly built inland. The inland holes are FAR from boring! The greens are wacky but very fun. Blind tee shots and even blind 2nd shots keep the golfer interested as they fight through the wind on the resort's firmest golf course.

On Pacific Dunes Tom Doak's genius peaks out bit by bit as you progress. Starting off with two short par fours to get you ready for what's ahead. You're first coastline hole is the par 4 4th. One of the more scary teeshots as the dreaded (RH) slice will probably put you on the side of the cliff buried in the gorse. Back to back oceanside par 3's are waiting on the back 9 and shortly followed by 13 ( my favorite hole at the resort) with a huge natural sand dune right of the green and nothing but the Pacific on your left. Every hole on Pacific is interesting and Tom Doak made very difficult to spot weakness in the routing.

Bandon Dunes #4, #5, #6, #12, #15, #16 all ocean holes but 16 is an abolutely spectacular hole. A short driveable par 4 making it the biggest "Risk reward shot". This hole sums up Bandon Dunes. With the beautiful gorse/dunes canyon between you and the lower fairway, wind at your back at 20mph, and your caddie asking "Well did you come all the way out here to lay up? Take on the risk like Keiser did with his crazy idea of building the course in the first place.

Trails is so unique because it plays very firm and the fairways are mostly pretty wide. The bunker placement on Trails is brilliant. Big waste bunkers to give illusions, bunkers that will catch you if you play the wrong side of the fairway, and beautiful scenery throughout the entire routing. A few holes stick.out further than the rest but if you come all the way out to this resort and skip playing this course you're a fool. #14 might be a little different but it just requires two well placed shots. On the teebox you are stand where Mike Keiser had his "Eureka" moment and decided to give us the gift of what Bandon Dunes is and how much they stick to their guns.

Everyone is humbled by a 25 mph wind in their face making it such a wonderful place to meet people. As a former double bagger, I'm proud to say I've been a part of the place that's selling a golf experience rather than a spa treatment. Bandon Dunes is half the price of Pebble during peak season for a reason. Keiser wants everyone to play Bandon Dunes, not just the upper class. Why? He's a golfer first, business man second.

I'll pipe in and say that Bandon is fantastic, Pebble is fantastic. Comparing one to the other is like comparing Heidi Klum to Kate Upton. One is older, one is younger, but both are sexy as hell. You're privileged if you get to mess around with either of them, so just enjoy it.

I think Pebble is a destination for a bit more "mature" golfing public, and Bandon is a destination for a bit "younger" public. That doesn't mean a 60 year-old won't enjoy Bandon, but you'd better be in shape.

Regarding Cypress Point, $500 is not too much to play the course. Silly to say otherwise. It's the gem of the West Coast and top-3 best in the country. Knocking Pebble Beach is an old parlor game. So what all 18 aren't directly on the beach. Name me a course that's on more people's bucket list: August, Cypress & Shinnecock? Maybe. Pebble probably wins.

I'll add one more point: Pebble gets better weather. No doubt. Not to say it's perfect, but mid-California is a hell of a lot drier and more predictable than southern Oregon. I'm sure many a person has trudged out to Bandon only to get skunked by some massive storm. Same can be said of Pebble, but I can pretty much guarantee good weather there at certain times of the year.

There's nothing stopping you from going over to Ireland, but as a few have said, once you get to Bandon, you don't need to worry about driving from one course to another, or driving to eat and drink. It's all there in one spot. There's a reason people from all over the world trek to Bandon Dunes. To say you can't make it because Ireland is closer is just another excuse.

There are some people who enjoy places like Ireland, England and Scotland on their own merits. For those of us who can visit the UK or Ireland with less travel time than Bandon, OR and given that lodging and golf is substantially less expensive over there, it's worth it. Even if we're forced to drink real ale instead of Bud Light and travel on something other than a resort shuttle to get to the golf courses.

I've been to Ireland and Scottland for golf and travel to England quite a bit for business and leisure. I enjoy it for sure, always have. But to say that the UK is cheaper on lodging and golf is quite misleading. Last time I checked, the business class airfare to heathrow is around $5k. I spend $300 gbp on 1 night of lodging and a meal for 2 at a nice indian restaurant is about 100 gbp. Comparing on the basis of costs is a lost argument.

[quote name='mctrees02' timestamp='1384618126' post='8157998']
[quote name='jon2' timestamp='1384550231' post='8154850']
There are very few places where I would feel special to walk the same grounds as some of the legends and a place anyone can pay 500 bones to do it, certainly isn't one of them.
[/quote]
Would you pay $500 to play:
Cypress Point
Augusta National
Pine Valley
Merion
NGLA
Shinnecock
Oakmont
Winged Foot
Fishers Island

We should all feel fortunate that $500 grants access to Pebble Beach. That is certainly not the case with the vast majority of best courses in America. Access to those requires some combination of money, genetics, social connections, influence and or damn good fortune.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Remember Sean, you are playing one of the Top 10 courses in the country. This is universally agreed upon by the entire golf community. As somebody eluded, holes 6 - 10 might be the greatest stretch of holes in American golf. Assuming a 5 hour round that is simply a rate of $100/hr. How much would it cost to rent Madison Square Garden or Fenway Park for 5 hrs so you and your buddies could play hoops or play ball? My point is that this is not some run of the mill resort course. Rack rates during the winter for some average destination course can run upwards toward a couple hundred bucks or more.

There is a wonderful saying that goes something like "some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing." Many people are just simply price sensitive without any consideration of the experience. My primary golfing buddy who is a golfaholic will never go to Bandon because he simply can't pay the price even though he can afford it with ease. He can't wrap his mind around a golf experience above and beyond what he is used to experiencing. People who would not pay $500 for Pebble or Pine Valley, etc. routinely pay equally absurd prices for things they perceive as value. My same buddy bought a 40K truck so he can pull a trailer full of ATV's that he rides twice a year. I suggested he buy a nice value priced car and sell the trailer full of ATV's and rent them when he goes. He simply can't wrap his head around it.

Researchers have know for a long time that people are completely irrational about their allocation of financial resources.

Been to Pebble for 2 US Opens and on multiple other occasion while I have never played it I certainly enjoy how special it is. I have not been to Bandon yet but based on what i have seen and read and the types of courses I enjoy I would expect Bandon to come out on top for me. But at the end of the day it is like having to choose between a Bentley or Aston Martin.

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='TML' timestamp='1384822034' post='8169416']
I've been to Ireland and Scottland for golf and travel to England quite a bit for business and leisure. I enjoy it for sure, always have. But to say that the UK is cheaper on lodging and golf is quite misleading. Last time I checked, the business class airfare to heathrow is around $5k. I spend $300 gbp on 1 night of lodging and a meal for 2 at a nice indian restaurant is about 100 gbp. Comparing on the basis of costs is a lost argument.
[/quote]

My mistake for posting.

[/quote]

$5,000 for a flight to England?! From where?

[quote name='One_Putt_Blunder' timestamp='1384824769' post='8169694']
Been to Pebble for 2 US Opens and on multiple other occasion while I have never played it I certainly enjoy how special it is. I have not been to Bandon yet but based on what i have seen and read and the [size=5][b]types of courses I enjoy [/b][/size]I would expect Bandon to come out on top for me. But at the end of the day it is like having to choose between a Bentley or Aston Martin.
[/quote]

I think that is an important factor that hasn't been mentioned yet. For me personally, I'm not a fan of the big, open courses with huge greens and numerous blind shots. It could partly because of my poor vision, but a parkland style layout is easier for me because it is somewhat framed and it's easier to pick out targets. I know that struggled at the Prairie Club due to that. From what I've read it sounds like that is pretty similar to Banden. Those who know can correct me if that is not correct.

[/quote]

Agreed, that saying 'substantially cheaper' is a misnomer.

But comparing on costs is only a lost argument if you want to take examples to extremes. Pick higher end everything and watch prices climb. If business class is how you roll fair enough, but the vast majority would be flying good 'ol economy, which can be done for well under a grand from NY, Boston, Toronto or other eastern locations.

Bandon's accomodations while nice, are not £300/night level quality. What you want to drop on meals is wholly arbitrary as well, especially when the ladies are involved. Had a lovely meal for two at a nice restaurant in the city last weekend for some monies, had it been with the guys instead we'd have eaten just as happily for 1/2 the price.

I reckon a trip for 4 fellas from Boston to Ireland vs Boston to Bandon would be very comparable, especially in season when Bandon's rates are at their peak.

Of course why not just do both :) Not necessarily in the same year, but if someone can justify one they can justify the other.

But at the end of the day it is like having to choose between a Bentley or Aston Martin.
[/quote]

Eh? No contest. Aston, Aston, Aston ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1384831449' post='8170370']

But at the end of the day it is like having to choose between a Bentley or Aston Martin.
[/quote]

Eh? No contest. Aston, Aston, Aston ;)
[/quote]

I concur

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]

I got to play Pebble in September this year. I played it twice, and also played Spyglass once (I decided to skip Spanish Bay). I brought the wife with me, she hung out in the resort for the first round I played, and we played it together on our wedding anniversary. I would say it was the best trip we've ever been on, hands-down. My wife is just a casual golfer (plays maybe 5-10 times a season), and she loved it. We cannot say enough good things about the entire experience. But we didn't play golf all the time, we did other things.

I think pitting Bandon vs Pebble is really a contest of deciding what kind of a trip you want. I would love to get out to Bandon someday, but I think I would want to go with the golf buddies, not the wife. From the sounds of it, it's better suited for people who are really only interested in playing golf, and everything else is just secondary.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1384824329' post='8169648']
There are very few places where I would feel special to walk the same grounds as some of the legends and a place anyone can pay 500 bones to do it, certainly isn't one of them.
[/quote]
Cypress Point
Augusta National
Pine Valley
Merion
NGLA
Shinnecock
Oakmont
Winged Foot
Fishers Island

We should all feel fortunate that $500 grants access to Pebble Beach. That is certainly not the case with the vast majority of best courses in America. Access to those requires some combination of money, genetics, social connections, influence and or damn good fortune.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Remember Sean, you are playing one of the Top 10 courses in the country. This is universally agreed upon by the entire golf community. As somebody eluded, holes 6 - 10 might be the greatest stretch of holes in American golf. Assuming a 5 hour round that is simply a rate of $100/hr. How much would it cost to rent Madison Square Garden or Fenway Park for 5 hrs so you and your buddies could play hoops or play ball? My point is that this is not some run of the mill resort course. Rack rates during the winter for some average destination course can run upwards toward a couple hundred bucks or more.

There is a wonderful saying that goes something like "some people know the price of everything and the value of nothing." Many people are just simply price sensitive without any consideration of the experience. My primary golfing buddy who is a golfaholic will never go to Bandon because he simply can't pay the price even though he can afford it with ease. He can't wrap his mind around a golf experience above and beyond what he is used to experiencing. People who would not pay $500 for Pebble or Pine Valley, etc. routinely pay equally absurd prices for things they perceive as value. My same buddy bought a 40K truck so he can pull a trailer full of ATV's that he rides twice a year. I suggested he buy a nice value priced car and sell the trailer full of ATV's and rent them when he goes. He simply can't wrap his head around it.

Researchers have know for a long time that people are completely irrational about their allocation of financial resources.
[/quote]

Pearl, the folks at Pebble could charge a lot less, and still make a tidy profit. Just because it is a great golf course doesn't mean they have to charge $500. And, what about $90 for a dozen ProV1's. Really?

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1384992087' post='8180556']
[quote name='The Pearl' timestamp='1384824329' post='8169648']
[/quote]
Cypress Point
Augusta National
Pine Valley
Merion
NGLA
Shinnecock
Oakmont
Winged Foot
Fishers Island

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Pearl, the folks at Pebble could charge a lot less, and still make a tidy profit. Just because it is a great golf course doesn't mean they have to charge $500. And, what about $90 for a dozen ProV1's. Really?
[/quote]

What company or industry asks themselves how they might be able to charge less? Nobody. Yet we seem to think that just because it's an iconic golf course that they should take that approach, rather than the approach that virtually the entire rest of the economy takes: how can I maximize revenue and profit?

They charge that, because that's what the market will bear. Each consumer then votes with their wallet as to whether they consider it a worthwhile price. If they're still keeping their tee sheets up, and if they're still selling ProV1s, then they are charging the correct price.

[/quote]

They're not running a charity. What are you some kind of socialist? And that comes from a Canadian ;)
Seriously though Bandon could charge a lot less, Pinehurst could charge a lot less. They all could, but these are for-profit businesses trying to maximize profits. It is no different than why one car manufacturer charges loads for extras and another doesn't.

If the paying customer can associate enough 'value' to something to justify the cost, then they will pay it. That's the fine line these successful companies find and do well at. Pebble, Bandon, or Pinehurst are under no obligation to make golf more affordable for me or you.

As far as golf ball prices go:
[url="http://secure.pebblebeach.com/pbstore/golf-equipment/golf-balls"]http://secure.pebble...ment/golf-balls[/url]

Edit: oops not trying to pile on, didn't see Chris's reply before I posted :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1384993897' post='8180702']
[/quote]

They're not running a charity. What are you some kind of socialist? And that comes from a Canadian ;)
Seriously though Bandon could charge a lot less, Pinehurst could charge a lot less. They all could, but these are for-profit businesses trying to maximize profits. It is no different than why one car manufacturer charges loads for extras and another doesn't.

If the paying customer can associate enough 'value' to something to justify the cost, then they will pay it. That's the fine line these successful companies find and do well at. Pebble, Bandon, or Pinehurst are under no obligation to make golf more affordable for me or you.

As far as golf ball prices go:
[url="http://secure.pebblebeach.com/pbstore/golf-equipment/golf-balls"]http://secure.pebble...ment/golf-balls[/url]

Edit: oops not trying to pile on, didn't see Chris's reply before I posted :)
[/quote]

Duffer, I won't be paying $500. As I said, [b]I'm all for the free enterprise system[/b], but I'm not a fan of taking advantage of the customer when you have a "monopoly" on a product.

I think if you could play golf one last round of golf for the rest of your life, I would have to choose Pebble, but if you had to pick a place you could go every year for the rest of your life it would be Bandon.

I played Pebble for the first time earlier this year and had a great time.

I think I enjoyed it as much as I did because I played well, had a good caddie (Tim Grimm) and the weather was fantastic.

The cost seemed small in comparison to the experience. This is why I don't think I will play Pebble again as it can only go downhill from here. I think $495/round plus over $100 for a caddie would feel bad if I wasn't playing well, or if the circumstances were not perfect.

On the other hand, I have had an annual pilgrimage to Bandon every November for the last nine years (just got back, the weather was great!).

It is a trip l look forward all year and usually play with a relatively consistent group of 4 to 8 guys, whose only connection prior to playing at Bandon was knowing me. Over the years strong friendships have emerged from this annual trip.

Every year, we play at least 3 of the courses, with Bandon Dunes and Pacific Dunes as the constants, and rotating Old Mac, Trails, the Sheep Ranch and now the Preserve as the third (and this year fourth) course we play.

As a consequence, every year is different/fresh in some way and gives participants reasons to come back the next year (Punchbowl in 2014!)

Because we go in November, the green fees are lower ($75-$140) and the weather has been great the majority of the time (although everyone should experience Bandon in bad weather at least once).

This year, we played the Preserve in the morning and Old Mac on the first day, and Bandon on the second. On the third day, we played Pacific in the morning and then back to the real world.

Next year, we are rotating Old Mac out in favor of Trails (where we haven't played since 2009) after much debate.

I expect to continue organizing this trip until I am unable to play golf.

I guess this is a long winded way of saying Pebble is once is a lifetime, and Bandon is for a lifetime.

Driver: Ping G425 Max 12 deg w/MR Tensei Orange R
Woods: Ping G425 5w & 7w w/MR Tensei Orange R
Hybrid: Ping G410 26 deg w/MR Diamana Blueboard R
Irons: Ping i230 5-U w/Nippon Modulus3 105S
Wedges: Ping Eye 2 Gorge SW w/DG Spinner/Cleveland 588 Tour Issue 64 deg w/DG S400
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #10
Ball: Titleist ProV1x (2021) 

[/quote]
Think of it this way. You know your boss is willing to pay you $100k per year in salary, but you know you could easily live on $80k. Are you going to approach your boss and ask him to only pay you $80k?

I paid the $500 twice when I was there a couple months ago, and I don't regret it for a second. To me it was a bucket list item, and something I probably won't ever get the chance to do again.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)

I've never been to either. I've been playing and working in golf for 15+ years. I love the history of the game, architects and the traditions. Call me crazy, but Pebble's draw to me is only the history combined with 3 holes. I've long thought about going, but have a great interest in Spyglass, Cypress, and even Pasatiempo more than PB. With all that said, I'd rather take the trip to Bandon. Thanks just me. I'm aware I might be in the minority

[quote name='Roody' timestamp='1385298046' post='8198844']
[/quote]
Think of it this way. You know your boss is willing to pay you $100k per year in salary, but you know you could easily live on $80k. Are you going to approach your boss and ask him to only pay you $80k?

I paid the $500 twice when I was there a couple months ago, and I don't regret it for a second. To me it was a bucket list item, and something I probably won't ever get the chance to do again.
[/quote]

Roody, I don't think the analogy is apt. Comparing one's livelihood to a round of golf? I'm glad you enjoyed your experience at Pebble. I just think $500 for a round of golf is excessive and the folks at Pebble could charge a lot less and still make a very nice profit.