2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Thinking of joining a Country Club

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Im not part of one but know a few who are. Things I've been told since I asked myself whether it is worth it is 1. What is the upfront cost 2. What are the monthly dues? 3. Is there a monthly food and beverage minimum to spend? and 4. Are there other perks that go with it such as free lessons, driving range privileges, instructors? Those are primarily the question to ask, then there are the questions to self. Do I see myself playing this course that often, is it a really well kept course, most importantly, do you see yourself mingling with the other members. I guess I would start there.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

I'm sure there are a lot of thorough threads on this.

First and foremost, make sure you like the course! This may seem obvious, but some people join a club based on reputation, social stuff, etc, and then find out for whatever reason they don't really enjoy the layout.

Costs: Be sure to assess the upfront cost (initiation fee), the monthly dues (and exactly what those include), the hidden costs (required food and beverage minimums, required pro shop minimum, league/tournament fees, etc). Also do a little researching the specific club online. Some of the club GMs in my hometown would waive initiation fees or make other allowances when pressed by a savvy customer.

Atmosphere: See what options they will give you for a trial (week, month, etc). Try to play with and meet some of the current members in your age range. Ask members what they like about the club, what they wish was done better. Try the bar, the lunches, the dinner, etc. If you think this is a club you will belong to for a long time, you should make an informed decision.

[quote name='drbonesvt' timestamp='1387732111' post='8335441']
What are some points I should considering when selecting a CC
[/quote]

I'd have to answer your question with a question....

Why do you want to?

Seriously, people join CCs for as many reasons as there are CCs. Access to amenities (Pools,tennis courts, club house, etc,etc). Unlimited access to the course (save money, preferential tee times,etc). Community relations (people, friends, associates)

Really it goes on and on so the question is what is it you want to get out of it then it might be possible to give more practical advice.

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

Find out about the exit policy, in case you don't like the club after a few months. Definitely check on assessments and any other possible fees. Nothing worse than getting an assessment for several $1000 so the club can add a few new tennis courts or redo the pool. Unless you are set on a "country club" atmosphere, the semi private golf clubs seem like a better option to me. Just pay a yearly fee and play as much as you want.

Ping G430 LST 10.5 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 Max 15 Ventus Blue

Ping G430 3 Hybrid Kai'Li White

Srixon ZX7 MKII 4-PW Modus3 Tour 120

TaylorMade MG3 50, 56, 60

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1387734183' post='8335561']
I'm all about the golf. Not interested in a fancy club house, a pool, or tennis courts. Food and drink minimums boor me. :-)

I'd like a very good practice facility and an excellent golf course. :-)
[/quote]

Amen

Mizuno JPX EZ @ 10.5 - Motore F1 S
M1 15* - Kuro Kage X
XR Pro 18* Hybrid - NVS 85X
MP-32 4-PW - S300
XFT 52-56-60
Mizuno Bettinardi BC5
K-Sig's baby!

The biggest scam that I think some clubs run is you pay all that money to join and you still have to pay every time you play. My father in law belongs to one of the beach's last standing private golf clubs and he still shells out some coin every time he plays. What a rip off

M1 15* - Kuro Kage X
MP-32 4-PW - S300
XFT 52-56-60
Mizuno Bettinardi BC5
K-Sig's baby!

[quote name='R Hagan' timestamp='1387756349' post='8336723']
The biggest scam that I think some clubs run is you pay all that money to join and you still have to pay every time you play. My father in law belongs to one of the beach's last standing private golf clubs and he still shells out some coin every time he plays. What a rip off
[/quote] Why?

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

[quote name='llewol007' timestamp='1387733039' post='8335489']
Im not part of one but know a few who are. Things I've been told since I asked myself whether it is worth it is 1. What is the upfront cost 2. What are the monthly dues? 3. Is there a monthly food and beverage minimum to spend? and 4. Are there other perks that go with it such as free lessons, driving range privileges, instructors? Those are primarily the question to ask, then there are the questions to self. Do I see myself playing this course that often, is it a really well kept course, most importantly, do you see yourself mingling with the other members. I guess I would start there.
[/quote]

Thanks

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

3w Stealth 2 + 15* Ventus Red 9x tipped 2" 43”  

2i TMAG P790 2i Hzdus 100g X  

Titleist MB 620 3-PW (47* PW) PX 7.0 Std Length -2 flat from Titleist Spec 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='ND2005' timestamp='1387733731' post='8335523']
I'm sure there are a lot of thorough threads on this.

First and foremost, make sure you like the course! This may seem obvious, but some people join a club based on reputation, social stuff, etc, and then find out for whatever reason they don't really enjoy the layout.

Costs: Be sure to assess the upfront cost (initiation fee), the monthly dues (and exactly what those include), the hidden costs (required food and beverage minimums, required pro shop minimum, league/tournament fees, etc). Also do a little researching the specific club online. Some of the club GMs in my hometown would waive initiation fees or make other allowances when pressed by a savvy customer.

Atmosphere: See what options they will give you for a trial (week, month, etc). Try to play with and meet some of the current members in your age range. Ask members what they like about the club, what they wish was done better. Try the bar, the lunches, the dinner, etc. If you think this is a club you will belong to for a long time, you should make an informed decision.
[/quote]

Great points thanks

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1387734183' post='8335561']
I'm all about the golf. Not interested in a fancy club house, a pool, or tennis courts. Food and drink minimums boor me. :-)

I'd like a very good practice facility and an excellent golf course. :-)
[/quote]

I concur, one of the main reasons, there arent too many options around me for golf - as for the practice facility all the range balls you can hit, its not super big, I can be in the parking lot of the course in 3 min from my home. I TRAVEL a ton for work, so being close means a lot for me. My wife and I are new to texas, thus we would like the social aspect of the facility too boot.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='farmer' timestamp='1387742604' post='8335983']
In addition to dues and minimums, some clubs routinely assess the members. Check their financials. Is it an equity club, or access?
[/quote]

No equity

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='dirthead' timestamp='1387748346' post='8336297']
Find out about the exit policy, in case you don't like the club after a few months. Definitely check on assessments and any other possible fees. Nothing worse than getting an assessment for several $1000 so the club can add a few new tennis courts or redo the pool. Unless you are set on a "country club" atmosphere, the semi private golf clubs seem like a better option to me. Just pay a yearly fee and play as much as you want.
[/quote]

The university course around here is nice, and is semi private, but my wife will get something out of the country club, plus the CC is right near my home. I travel a lot for work, so the proximity is a plus. Also @ the CC i can take clients out.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='bk52' timestamp='1387752708' post='8336511']
You are thinking about joining a country club. Why are you thinking about making a change? What do you think the club will offer? Is it an equity club with an initiation fee or non-equity where you just pay dues annually? Tell us a bit more about the situation. Thanks
[/quote]

Just annual dues - not a lot of great public options here, we are new to texas would like to meet some new folks, etc,

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[/quote]

I would agree with that - but this one is all you can play

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

These threads often turn into a "have" (private club member) VS "Have Nots" (public and semi-private club member). While most responses have been constructive, not all have been.

I joined my first private club 2 years ago. Before then, I played strictly at public/municipal courses.

Most of the advice given already has been very accurate.

As far as assessments, they are not nearly as common as some make it sound. You will only have to deal with assessments if you join a MEMBER OWNED CLUB. Further, a member owned club cannot have an assessment without membership approval. You don't just wake up one day to a letter saying you owe 20 grand.

Most clubs are privately owned, which means that there cannot be an assessment. The owner of the club is responsible for any expenses/losses of the club. But the owner also has the right to charge whatever he/she/they want to help turn a profit. Also, these clubs do occasionally declare bankruptcy, which means that the club can be sold or liquidated and you lose part or all of your initiation fee.

A couple of things I have noticed since joining a club:

For one, I definitely spend more than I anticipated. If you are joining a club, and the cost is a stretch at all, I would reconsider.

That said, it is the best purchase I have ever made, despite spending more than expected. The golf is incredible, of course. But there are certain things you simply can't put a price on. For example, being out on the golf course at 6 PM on a Sunday and realizing you are the only one on the golf course. Or testing a new club against your gamer by standing out on the same tee box for 20 minutes at a slow time and banging driver VS driver.

Then there is the social aspect. Getting to really know they guys at the club and enjoying the parties after tournaments together. It is just a completely different feeing than going to some semi private club and being a "regular".

Again, it all comes down to cost, but if you can TRULY afford it, and love the lifestyle, it will be money well spent.

I joined a club in my area this year in May because one of my buddies had joined the year before and they ran a very good special on the initiation and lowered the dues. He couldn't speak more highly of the place. It seemed to be a very good deal for the money and I couldn't lose much if I decided it wasn't for me.

For 20 years I had a pre-conceived idea about this club and it's members. I had heard all of the typical stereotyping and branding of the members and the course. I heard about all of the "assessments", pro-shop minimums, food and beverage minimums, etc.

My only regret so far is that I believed the stuff I heard and I never investigated it further for years and years and that I have missed out on a lot by not joining years ago.

The course is much more fun the more I play it, the more I appreciate it. The members have been great. Sure there are a handful of how-big-is-yours guys, but there are far more good guys that love to play golf. There is a group of guys that play every Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday at specified tee times. You can just show up, draw a pill and be paired up with three more guys and there is a game that changes every week. Tons of fun and a great way to meet people. This made it very easy for me to find people to play with and make new friends. Incredible group of guys.

As for the assessments, they have not issued one in over 15 years and it is not really a concern. The food minimum hasn't been an issue as we really enjoy the food. It is so much easier to head to the club to eat on a weekend than to try to go to a restaurant where you have to wait 30 minutes to eat food that is not as good with lesser service. Now, instead of heading to Texas Roadhouse or Outback, we just head to the club for the same price. So it is a wash really, we save from eating out at other restaurants. Not a big issue for us.

As for the rest of the social stuff, I generally do not participate much. I never use the pool or the tennis courts, I just am there to golf and golf a lot.

Every club is different though. I had a fitting for some wedges at a club in Charlotte that had 36 holes and almost 1500 members. They had what looked like 100 tennis courts. You had to have a tee time to play golf. The place was jam packed and it was a Friday afternoon. The course I joined is way different. We only have 400 members and not all of them golf. I rarely need a tee time.

I guess the moral to my story is do not believe all of the stereotypes about every club, they are all different, go find out what the people are really like and what the club is really like. The club I joined really almost has a big family environment to it where everyone is proud of the club, tries to make it a nice place, very family oriented, friendly folks, laid back, and fun. It isn't the stuffy uppity yuppy arrogant place I had been told it was. I really approached the whole initiation with a skepticism and chip on my shoulder. I expected the worst from all of the horror stories I had been told regarding the arrogance of the members. I do not have much of a tolerance for guys that want to talk about money or compare cars. Now a couple of more my buddies are probably going to join because I have taken them as guest enough times that they have seen what the place is like and are interested.

My son and I went today to the Sunday brunch, which we both really enjoy, and I thought to myself how much I really enjoy the place and how it has been worth every nickle to me so far and that I will stay a member for a long time. Our dues are $275, food minimum is $175 per quarter, and a cart is $500 unlimited use for 12 months which I think is a great deal. I have been able to get my monies worth pretty easily with the cost of municipal courses around here. With me and my son playing, it costs me $80 for us to play and ride each time we go out on a muni for the most part, and $50 for us to walk. I haven't kept track, but my guess is I have played at least 60 rounds and my son 20 since May and I have have had to have hit balls on the range 100 times, which is free. Like you, it takes me 12 minutes to get to the course from my house which is a big plus. If we play a muni, we are always looking at a mandatory tee time on the weekend, mandatory cart fee regardless if you want to walk, and a 5 hour round. No thanks.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Private, Semi-Private, Muni....whatever. It all comes down to one thing: The Game.

I'm referring to the group of players that you will play with consistently and enjoy.

When you find the right Game...that's the course you should play.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1387769147' post='8337645']
These threads often turn into a "have" (private club member) VS "Have Nots" (public and semi-private club member). While most responses have been constructive, not all have been.

I joined my first private club 2 years ago. Before then, I played strictly at public/municipal courses.

Most of the advice given already has been very accurate.

As far as assessments, they are not nearly as common as some make it sound. You will only have to deal with assessments if you join a MEMBER OWNED CLUB. Further, a member owned club cannot have an assessment without membership approval. You don't just wake up one day to a letter saying you owe 20 grand.

Most clubs are privately owned, which means that there cannot be an assessment. The owner of the club is responsible for any expenses/losses of the club. But the owner also has the right to charge whatever he/she/they want to help turn a profit. Also, these clubs do occasionally declare bankruptcy, which means that the club can be sold or liquidated and you lose part or all of your initiation fee.

A couple of things I have noticed since joining a club:

For one, I definitely spend more than I anticipated. If you are joining a club, and the cost is a stretch at all, I would reconsider.

That said, it is the best purchase I have ever made, despite spending more than expected. The golf is incredible, of course. But there are certain things you simply can't put a price on. For example, being out on the golf course at 6 PM on a Sunday and realizing you are the only one on the golf course. Or testing a new club against your gamer by standing out on the same tee box for 20 minutes at a slow time and banging driver VS driver.

Then there is the social aspect. Getting to really know they guys at the club and enjoying the parties after tournaments together. It is just a completely different feeing than going to some semi private club and being a "regular".

Again, it all comes down to cost, but if you can TRULY afford it, and love the lifestyle, it will be money well spent.
[/quote]

Appreciate the Candor

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1387770834' post='8337755']
I joined a club in my area this year in May because one of my buddies had joined the year before and they ran a very good special on the initiation and lowered the dues. He couldn't speak more highly of the place. It seemed to be a very good deal for the money and I couldn't lose much if I decided it wasn't for me.

For 20 years I had a pre-conceived idea about this club and it's members. I had heard all of the typical stereotyping and branding of the members and the course. I heard about all of the "assessments", pro-shop minimums, food and beverage minimums, etc.

My only regret so far is that I believed the stuff I heard and I never investigated it further for years and years and that I have missed out on a lot by not joining years ago.

The course is much more fun the more I play it, the more I appreciate it. The members have been great. Sure there are a handful of how-big-is-yours guys, but there are far more good guys that love to play golf. There is a group of guys that play every Saturday, Sunday, Tuesday, and Thursday at specified tee times. You can just show up, draw a pill and be paired up with three more guys and there is a game that changes every week. Tons of fun and a great way to meet people. This made it very easy for me to find people to play with and make new friends. Incredible group of guys.

As for the assessments, they have not issued one in over 15 years and it is not really a concern. The food minimum hasn't been an issue as we really enjoy the food. It is so much easier to head to the club to eat on a weekend than to try to go to a restaurant where you have to wait 30 minutes to eat food that is not as good with lesser service. Now, instead of heading to Texas Roadhouse or Outback, we just head to the club for the same price. So it is a wash really, we save from eating out at other restaurants. Not a big issue for us.

As for the rest of the social stuff, I generally do not participate much. I never use the pool or the tennis courts, I just am there to golf and golf a lot.

Every club is different though. I had a fitting for some wedges at a club in Charlotte that had 36 holes and almost 1500 members. They had what looked like 100 tennis courts. You had to have a tee time to play golf. The place was jam packed and it was a Friday afternoon. The course I joined is way different. We only have 400 members and not all of them golf. I rarely need a tee time.

I guess the moral to my story is do not believe all of the stereotypes about every club, they are all different, go find out what the people are really like and what the club is really like. The club I joined really almost has a big family environment to it where everyone is proud of the club, tries to make it a nice place, very family oriented, friendly folks, laid back, and fun. It isn't the stuffy uppity yuppy arrogant place I had been told it was. I really approached the whole initiation with a skepticism and chip on my shoulder. I expected the worst from all of the horror stories I had been told regarding the arrogance of the members. I do not have much of a tolerance for guys that want to talk about money or compare cars. Now a couple of more my buddies are probably going to join because I have taken them as guest enough times that they have seen what the place is like and are interested.

My son and I went today to the Sunday brunch, which we both really enjoy, and I thought to myself how much I really enjoy the place and how it has been worth every nickle to me so far and that I will stay a member for a long time. Our dues are $275, food minimum is $175 per quarter, and a cart is $500 unlimited use for 12 months which I think is a great deal. I have been able to get my monies worth pretty easily with the cost of municipal courses around here. With me and my son playing, it costs me $80 for us to play and ride each time we go out on a muni for the most part, and $50 for us to walk. I haven't kept track, but my guess is I have played at least 60 rounds and my son 20 since May and I have have had to have hit balls on the range 100 times, which is free. Like you, it takes me 12 minutes to get to the course from my house which is a big plus. If we play a muni, we are always looking at a mandatory tee time on the weekend, mandatory cart fee regardless if you want to walk, and a 5 hour round. No thanks.
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing your experiences

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

Dr:

I think most of the other answers really covered the various aspects to the decision. But you seem to mention several times how close the club is to your house. That is very important. My club is about seven minutes away. Makes it much easier to decide to get in 3 holes after work or a little practice. Also if you have kids they then may have the opportunity to walk to the course and play or hit the swimming pool.

[quote name='theebdk' timestamp='1387797508' post='8338289']
Dr:

I think most of the other answers really covered the various aspects to the decision. But you seem to mention several times how close the club is to your house. That is very important. My club is about seven minutes away. Makes it much easier to decide to get in 3 holes after work or a little practice. Also if you have kids they then may have the opportunity to walk to the course and play or hit the swimming pool.
[/quote]

No kids yet, 2 dogs, but your correct, proximity is very important. There is a another club about 15-20 min away, I think the course is a touch nicer, membership a little older(no offense to anyone, but I would like to use this to meet people, while I wish in one hand I was still 24(just turned 34), and spit in another, lets see which one fills up first) ANYWAY, the one im seriously considering is 15-20 min away, so add on another 30-40 min to a full round. So golf, pool, facilities, 3-5 from the hosue is a big consideration.....Also notable, I am all over West Texas in the oil fields, so being close to something while I am home is nice, call me lazy.

Overhaul 

Driver Testing 

Vokey - Testing 

Putter  OPEN  

[quote name='theebdk' timestamp='1387797508' post='8338289']
Dr:

[/quote]

Yeah I wsa actually thinking about this. Kids were a huge part of my dad's ultimate decision to join a club - he didn't join for himself, he joined for me. I was just starting to really get into golf, and my closest friends were all golfers like me. I had unlimited free practice, good facilities, and most important of all, $15 junior guest fees and a GM who was really supportive of junior golf. Our club became me and my friends' home course. We'd play nine holes after school, play weekend afternoons, etc.

It was only after several years that my father was actually getting more out of the course than I was. Now he's been a member there for close to 20 years, has his regular group, knows all the bartenders and waiters by name. It certainly worked out great for us.

[quote name='2putttom' timestamp='1387758321' post='8336831']
[/quote] Why?
[/quote]

I don't see the point in paying $300 a month and then having pay another $20 every time I go out. For that price, I'd rather play several different courses so I don't play the same old track 4 days a week.

M1 15* - Kuro Kage X
MP-32 4-PW - S300
XFT 52-56-60
Mizuno Bettinardi BC5
K-Sig's baby!

Liking the layout is a huge factor. Last year I joined a semi-private course where I knew a few guys already. Thing is, I knew ahead of time that I didn't much care for the course layout. In fact, I kinda loathed it. But I joined because they had a ridiculously dirt-cheap special joining price for new members, and I figured if I could play more with a regular group of guys I knew, that I'd ignore my dislike for the layout.

At first I played a lot with those guys regularly, but as the season wore on some of the guys couldn't make it to play as much (one guy had a girlfriend who would barely let him play - they've since broken up). One of the other guys was pretty popular among the members and tried to divvy his time between our group and some of their groups, etc. So the part where I got to play with a regular group kinda fell apart. Therefore, I started to find myself playing the reciprocals more because I preferred that over playing the home course layout by myself.

This year I moved to a different course, where I really enjoy the layout. One of the guys moved over with me, and I even got the wife to join too. I'm looking forward to this season more.

Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2

Callaway Maverik 3W
TaylorMade RocketBallz Stage 2 3H

Callaway Apex '14 3-iron
Callaway Apex Black '22 irons 5-AW
Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5
Callaway Jaws (60, 54)