Chattanooga Golf

BG5

On 2/1/2014 at 5:22 AM, golfgoob said:

If you are looking to play 2 rounds in one day and going to play Bear Trace at Harrison Bay, check out Eagle Bluff. Its not the best conditioned course or best layout but it has some unique holes. Not a destination course by any means but a fun course to play if you are close by. Is Concord golf course still around? http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/%3C#EMO_DIR%23%3E/wink.png Is Windstone still private?

I remember going to Chatt over 20 years ago and played Harrison Bay and then Eagle Bluff. The elevation changes at Eagle Bluff were absolutely insane. Will never forget that. 

Titleist TSI3 8°, Xcaliber Avalon 6 tour stiff, tipped 1", C3 surefit and H2 for backweight, D1 SW, 45 3/8", 40g counterbalance weight;

PING G425 LST 3 wood, set at 13.5° Xcaliber T6* tour stiff, tipped 1 1/4" 43 1/2", D1, 20g counterbalance weight;

Snake Eyes 19° Quick Strike Tour, Xcaliber T6+ Tour Stiff, 20g counterbalance weight;

Maltby TS-1 irons, Dynamic Gold Sensicore X100 (4i is DG X100 soft stepped 1.5 times), D3, 2° flat;

Cleveland RTX Zipcore wedges, black satin, 50°, 54°, 58°, all 2° flat;

Ping TR series Anser 5, 33", 2° flat, 1.5° strong, 75g optivibe at 2" down the shaft and a 12g tourlock pro+ counterweight

Srixon Z Star XV, TP5X, or Maxfli Tour X

5 hours ago, Abh159 said:

Last I heard (which was admittedly several months back) they were only letting students/faculty/alumni out at Sewanee. 

Had a tee time there for 2 weeks ago.  Got rained out.  I think that was a Covid thing for a time but is no longer that way. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 8*, Tensei AV White 75g
Irons: TaylorMade P790, 5-PW; Mitsubishi MMT 110g
Hybrids: Ping G425 19*
Wedges: Ping Glide 3.0 50*, 54*, 60*
Putter: L.A.B. Directed Force 2.1, Polar BGT shaft   
Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite Midnight
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B X yellow, Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

23 hours ago, Jtgavigan said:

I remember going to Chatt over 20 years ago and played Harrison Bay and then Eagle Bluff. The elevation changes at Eagle Bluff were absolutely insane. Will never forget that. 

Eagle Bluff has been closed for a while now. 

Several of the affordable public courses were all bought by the same non-golf investor and he's let them go to crap for the most part. It's sad. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

5 minutes ago, jclinegolf said:

What kind of shape is Harrison Bay in?

I was there about three weeks ago. It was in very good condition for a public course. There are a couple of greens where they had issues earlier this year, and you can see spots where they're still healing, but it's in very playable shape. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

22 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Eagle Bluff has been closed for a while now. 

Several of the affordable public courses were all bought by the same non-golf investor and he's let them go to crap for the most part. It's sad. 

What other courses closed down or bought out?

Edited by golfgoob

5 hours ago, golfgoob said:

What other courses closed down or bought out?

At one point Luken Golf owned Eagle Bluff, Valleybrook, Battlefield, Mount Airy, Montlake and maybe one other. They were selling a monthly membership that allowed people unlimited access to all of the courses. 

Eagle Bluff is closed. Mt. Airy is for sale. Montlake and Valleybrook are probably in their worst-ever condition. Only Battlefield has continued to be maintained to a decent standard. 

• Thanks 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 2 months later...

Bill Bergen who oversaw the recent renovations at McLemore posted some pictures last week teasing the start of the second 18 project up there. They've broken ground on the long-rumored hotel project so things seem to be moving forward at a rapid clip. 

This scares me a little for selfish reasons. The last 2-3 times that particular project has gained a head of steam it has been set back by a major economic correction. This was definitely the case in 2009 and at least once before that. 

If you've played there you probably remember the uphill par four that plays along the two-lane highway close to the entrance to the development. That hole was built very early on as a teaser for the earliest stage of the development. IIRC that hole pre-dated the other 17 by a long handful of years while the project struggled to get off the ground. 

I hope them breaking ground on a second 18 out in the middle of nowhere isn't an anecdotal sign of another sharp peak in economic activity. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

42 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Bill Bergen who oversaw the recent renovations at McLemore posted some pictures last week teasing the start of the second 18 project up there. They've broken ground on the long-rumored hotel project so things seem to be moving forward at a rapid clip. 

This scares me a little for selfish reasons. The last 2-3 times that particular project has gained a head of steam it has been set back by a major economic correction. This was definitely the case in 2009 and at least once before that. 

If you've played there you probably remember the uphill par four that plays along the two-lane highway close to the entrance to the development. That hole was built very early on as a teaser for the earliest stage of the development. IIRC that hole pre-dated the other 17 by a long handful of years while the project struggled to get off the ground. 

I hope them breaking ground on a second 18 out in the middle of nowhere isn't an anecdotal sign of another sharp peak in economic activity. 

Is the hotel going left of the first fairway? That had been under construction for over 2 years. I still don’t really see anything over there.  

the course is nice. It’s great for what we use it for for customers and a getaway for a few days of golf but surprised how much it is.  I guess they have enough backing ?

soon will likely price me out.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Minarets said:

Is the hotel going left of the first fairway? That had been under construction for over 2 years. I still don’t really see anything over there.  

the course is nice. It’s great for what we use it for for customers and a getaway for a few days of golf but surprised how much it is.  I guess they have enough backing ?

soon will likely price me out.  

I've always assumed that site would hold houses or condos but it would make sense to site the hotel there. I always figured they'd use some of the bluff property for the hotel but I could be wrong. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 1 year later...

Long-time area resident and panelist for a major golf magazine. A lot has changed post-COVID so updating this thread with some more current information:

Best course in the area is The Honors Course. Arguably one of Pete Dye's top 5 designs. Used to be a very intimate atmosphere (predominantly members with a handful of guests) but now it's more of a factory - lot's of groups that are almost all member + 3 guests so a bit easier to get on if you can find a member. It's a great test of golf though, and very difficult. If you're a high handicapper it can make for a long day. 

2nd best course by far is Lookout Mountain. Due to a major restoration / renovation project in 2022, they will likely (from the scores that have come in thus far) be well into the Top US lists as well as No 4 in GA (behind Augusta, Ohoopee and Peachtree). Like other elite Raynor clubs (ShoreAcres, Camargo), they keep membership small so there's no tee times and they do not allow you on site unless there is a member accompanying you at all times. If you can find a member though, it's very bold architecturally with all of the great template holes and the greens are absolutely wild. My words won't do it justice so I'd google pictures of it.

Sweeten's Cove is a public access course ~30 mins away, arguably one of the best 9 hole courses in the country. The public play day passes sell out quickly and it can be very crowded out there at times. You can play with a member anytime, but that will not change the crowd size and play can be slow.

Black Creek and Council Fire are both great tracks. They are interesting and challenging architecturally, but also very much neighborhood courses. They each host a lot of amateur qualifiers and are great tests of golf. IMO Black Creek is slightly better, but I would select between these two based on what part of town you are in as they are not really close to each other. Pro can likely call and get you on at either.

McLemore is a fun, quirky mountain course that's usually in decent shape and has great views. Kind of far away as it's near the Georgia/Alabama border. They have one course that is semi-private with another fully private course by Bill Bergin and Rees Jones opening in 2024. 

Chattanooga G&CC's is a nice "club" but it's main appeal is its location right downtown and their non-golf amenities (pool, gym). The golf course is fairly bland architecturally (tree lined, back-and-forth routing, a few quirky holes) but it is usually in excellent shape. Pro may reciprocate unaccompanied during off times, but membership is massive so doubtful they'd let anyone on during peak windows.

Sewanee is likewise 9 holes and a great track but is a little further away from Chatt (~1hr).

Signal Mountain is a mountain course that's both quirky and endearing. Likely would allow reciprocal/unaccompanied with a phone call. 

Hope this helps.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’d agree with all of that. I haven’t played Lookout since the renovation but I look forward to seeing it.  

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

• 1 month later...
On 10/25/2023 at 11:47 AM, OldCooper said:

Long-time area resident and panelist for a major golf magazine. A lot has changed post-COVID so updating this thread with some more current information:

Best course in the area is The Honors Course. Arguably one of Pete Dye's top 5 designs. Used to be a very intimate atmosphere (predominantly members with a handful of guests) but now it's more of a factory - lot's of groups that are almost all member + 3 guests so a bit easier to get on if you can find a member. It's a great test of golf though, and very difficult. If you're a high handicapper it can make for a long day. 

2nd best course by far is Lookout Mountain. Due to a major restoration / renovation project in 2022, they will likely (from the scores that have come in thus far) be well into the Top US lists as well as No 4 in GA (behind Augusta, Ohoopee and Peachtree). Like other elite Raynor clubs (ShoreAcres, Camargo), they keep membership small so there's no tee times and they do not allow you on site unless there is a member accompanying you at all times. If you can find a member though, it's very bold architecturally with all of the great template holes and the greens are absolutely wild. My words won't do it justice so I'd google pictures of it.

Sweeten's Cove is a public access course ~30 mins away, arguably one of the best 9 hole courses in the country. The public play day passes sell out quickly and it can be very crowded out there at times. You can play with a member anytime, but that will not change the crowd size and play can be slow.

Black Creek and Council Fire are both great tracks. They are interesting and challenging architecturally, but also very much neighborhood courses. They each host a lot of amateur qualifiers and are great tests of golf. IMO Black Creek is slightly better, but I would select between these two based on what part of town you are in as they are not really close to each other. Pro can likely call and get you on at either.

McLemore is a fun, quirky mountain course that's usually in decent shape and has great views. Kind of far away as it's near the Georgia/Alabama border. They have one course that is semi-private with another fully private course by Bill Bergin and Rees Jones opening in 2024. 

Chattanooga G&CC's is a nice "club" but it's main appeal is its location right downtown and their non-golf amenities (pool, gym). The golf course is fairly bland architecturally (tree lined, back-and-forth routing, a few quirky holes) but it is usually in excellent shape. Pro may reciprocate unaccompanied during off times, but membership is massive so doubtful they'd let anyone on during peak windows.

Sewanee is likewise 9 holes and a great track but is a little further away from Chatt (~1hr).

Signal Mountain is a mountain course that's both quirky and endearing. Likely would allow reciprocal/unaccompanied with a phone call. 

Hope this helps.

So basically as a resident joining a club is the only way to play good golf in Chattanooga? Are there any competitive mens clubs/public golf events in the area?

Interested as a WI resident that is looking at moving to a better climate in a smaller metropolis, but coming from a fantastic public golf. area.

TSI3 9˚ AV White Raw 65X 

TSR2 15˚ Black 1K 75

Apex UW 19˚ RDX 80

T-150 4-PW - PX 6.0

RTX Zipcore Raw 48M/54M/60L 

Byron Morgan 029x PROTO-Carbon/2022 BB-1F

Pro V1X 

27 minutes ago, chinaski said:

So basically as a resident joining a club is the only way to play good golf in Chattanooga? Are there any competitive mens clubs/public golf events in the area?

Interested as a WI resident that is looking at moving to a better climate in a smaller metropolis, but coming from a fantastic public golf. area.

Chattanooga ain’t the place for “fantastic public golf” imo. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Minarets said:

Chattanooga ain’t the place for “fantastic public golf” imo. 

Is any place in TN?  That is a genuine question.  I would not say Nashville is all that great either.  Has some courses certainly but can be argued not enough and not very high quality.

Crossville is supposed to be the golf capital of TN.  I have never been there so can't comment but from my limited investigation it looks like maybe most of those courses over there are retirement community type courses (short)?

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

Is any place in TN?  That is a genuine question.  I would not say Nashville is all that great either.  Has some courses certainly but can be argued not enough and not very high quality.

Crossville is supposed to be the golf capital of TN.  I have never been there so can't comment but from my limited investigation it looks like maybe most of those courses over there are retirement community type courses (short)?

Would absolutely agree with you on Nashville.  East TN - around Knoxville is pretty good when you factor in the public access to the large lake communities.  Tellico Village, Wind River, Rarity Bay is a pretty good rotation.

2 hours ago, smashdn said:

As a born and raised Nashville resident, I agree. Public Nashville golf sucks.  Atlanta, Birmingham are significantly better. 

crossville is the Golf capital of Tennessee. Don’t think that means a ton though. I for one could not live in Crossville unless I was retired as are simply just isn’t enough offered for me there but I’m 40 with two kids.

Edited by Minarets

6 hours ago, smashdn said:

Agreed with @Minarets here, Nashville Golf Scene is the absolute worst. Public Golf is terrible and the private courses aren't that great unless you have big bucks to enter. There is a reason, I moved an hour north to Kentucky!

• Like 1

Kobe knows. He did the smart thing.

3 hours ago, smashdn said:

He's paying that state income tax though.  I have worked in TN most of my career.  I should have moved into TN long ago to save on the taxes.

Lower living costs whether that be groceries/home prices/fuel, less traffic = less fuel, & cheaper golf membership outweighs the state income tax for me. The ability to have play a great golf course every day makes me significantly happier than not being able to join anywhere in the Nashville area. Heck, you can't even join Legends as it has a huge wait list and is 50K + 700/mo. That is absurd.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, smashdn said:

What in bowling green are you considering a great golf course?  Especially public.

He is a member at Old Stone.  Not public.  He didn’t say he moved there for the public golf.  Just that Nashville golf sucks so he moved to bowling green.  He could join that badass course for way less than average private courses in Nashville. 

1 hour ago, smashdn said:

That is a whole kettle of fish difference than Nashville public.

In general, I love Nashville as city, but the entire golf scene public and private is terrible.

Harpeth is not bad, but the practice facility well non existent.

Gaylord/Hermitage are good but they are packed 24/7

Private, well don't get me started. Ask @Minarets I contacted every private course and the entry fee + dues is astronomical for the quality of courses.

I love the Golf Club of TN, but the price is ridiculous.

The best deal is Legends, but it still is 50K 700/mo and a pretty long wait.

Plus, I'd say Olde Stone is better than any Nashville course. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, smashdn said:

That is a whole kettle of fish difference than Nashville public.

Correct. I don’t think you read his entire post.  He said both suck and moved to BG because of the value.  Each of us have what’s important to us. Kobe’s state income tax is null and void when he can join that level of course for what it costs and the cost of living difference there.  I couldn’t live in BG myself, but that’s because I’m born and raised here and can’t see myself living anywhere else.  But private golf is practically unreachable now and public golf blows here.  

Still waiting for @Kobe123 to treat me to a round at Oldestone 😉   Played it once about 5-6 yrs ago when I wasn't really a decent golfer 😵

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

19 minutes ago, eddiebigeddie said:

Still waiting for @Kobe123 to treat me to a round at Oldestone 😉   Played it once about 5-6 yrs ago when I wasn't really a decent golfer 😵

More than welcome to come play anytime. The course really puts you down, I'll tell you that. I enjoy the par 3 course more than anything.

I will be there Saturday. 

• Like 1