2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Game Golf tracking system (merged)

[quote name='lartmander' timestamp='1409248311' post='10025857']
*Nerd reference here* Has anybody tried reading the tags via your smartphone NFC (ie. NFC tag reader). I was thinking instead of having a tag for penalties I would just make a copy of one of the extra tags and copy it on a NFC tag to make things easier.
[/quote]

No habla espanol......

can you clear that up for me?

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Dat_Dude' timestamp='1409255445' post='10026555']
[quote name='Ping Gator' timestamp='1409255111' post='10026521']
Yeah. My thought was.. Wait wut...NFC. Football?
[/quote]

GO BEARS!
[/quote]

Grotesque.

GO PACK GO.

Ping G425 LST 7.5* | Aldila Rogue White 70TX // TM 300 Mini 13.5 | Aldila Rogue White 80TX // Callaway Apex UW 19* | HZRDUS Smoke RDX 80 6.5 // Srixon ZX U 20* | Recoil Proto 110 F5 // Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Combo 5-PW // CTaper  Lite 115X | Cleveland CBX2 50/56* | DG 115 Wedge // 37" Odyssey 5K Tri-Hot Triple Wide

Now listen....we're gonna have to pick up the pace a little on this thread....

I didn't buy this darn device so I could talk about it LESS than I did yesterday.....

Upload some rounds people....screenshot us....gimme some tips and tricks/tools of the trade.

Don't give me "work" as an excuse...just get a 2nd monitor like me, and you're golden

Welcome to jungle Duff.

Here is my take after my first round with this Game Golf :
- I forgot to tag every tap in putts. Just about forgot to tag my 1st putts.
-Tagging all other shots were no problem.
- Getting to transfer my round did take a little doing BUT I feel that was more my computers fault.
- On several holes, I was in the fairway but it showed I missed the fairway. I did laser the flag at 160 yds on one hole. Verified it by my SkyCaddie. Hit a perfect 7 iron shot. Grinned from ear to ear in anticipation on someone seeing that shot and remarking how precise I was. It showed up as a 130 yd shot on the course.
- I shot the best 9 holes ever with this system. I believe while I was standing over the ball, I started thinking how I didn't want everyone seeing how bad I am so I concentrated more. -2 going into the last 4 holes. Missed two 2 ft. putts and one 3 foot putt for bogies. Could easily have been -1 for 9 holes. Oh well.

All in all, I am happy with this purchased. The YouTube video you referenced Duff was the reason I bought this myself. I can see after about 5 rounds, all my distances will be known. This probably will make the Game Golf system useless to me. But keeping up with my dispersion is what interest me .

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

I'm borrowing a friend's Game Golf stuff before making a decision myself. I've got 27 holes with it so far, and here's my take:

- Tagging has to be a part of the pre-shot/pre-stroke routine or you will be editing missed strokes post-round.
- The distances are off on many holes on my course. I assume that is a reflection of the accuracy of course mapping or the accuracy of the unit. Not sure, but it was problematic for me on several holes.
- I like the shot analysis features, but believe they are only as good as the accuracy captured during and post-round. For example, GIR can be unrepresented on shots finishing slightly on the green. Distances medians can be off if not corrected.

In all, I like it, but am most concern about the consistency of accuracy of the distances.

BP

Titleist TSi3 9* w/Tensei Blue S

Titleist TS2 FW 15* w/Tensei Blue S
Titleist 818H1 19* & H2 23* w/Tensei Blue S
Callaway Apex Pro 21 w/Recoil F4

Callaway RTX Zipcore Raw 50*, 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Phantom X8 34"

I'm confused when folks are saying their distances are off?

I'm pretty sure the tags operate off of each other. So you hit a driver and "tag" it on the tee box at Spot A. Then you walk to your ball in the fairway, pull 7 iron, "tag" it at spot B and hit your shot. Your shot ends up on the green and you walk up to it with your putter and "tag" it at Spot C. The Game Golf software is only going to calculate the distances between Tag A to Tag B then Tag B to Tag C. The course itself has nothing to do with it. The GPS is simply reading the spots you marked. So when you were standing on Tag B and you lasered the flag which said 160 on your laser, the system is not going to know at all where the flag is. The distance is going to be calculated wherever you were when you made Tag C. So if you came up short of the pin, it's going to calculate it at say 145. The only thing course related Game Golf does is the mapping in terms of boundaries like the green and the fairways which does have some inaccuracies.

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1409256256' post='10026627']
Now listen....we're gonna have to pick up the pace a little on this thread....

I didn't buy this darn device so I could talk about it LESS than I did yesterday.....

Upload some rounds people....screenshot us....gimme some tips and tricks/tools of the trade.

Don't give me "work" as an excuse...just get a 2nd monitor like me, and you're golden
[/quote]

no you bought it because:

A) you are a Ho
B) you didnt want to have anything to do with being referenced Hotlanta Ho after a night in October/November
C) you totally couldnt stand the fact that a Orange and Blue Bleeding Ho (myself) was wearing a piece of Red and Black Gear and you did not own one
D) because if you didnt get one, you know that said Orange and Blue Ho was going to continue to badger the s*** out of you in PMs until you got one.
E) how else are you going to have virtual Cocktail party match play rounds with (once again) said Orange and Blue Ho the last weekend of October?

Dats what I wuz tellin you befo

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

[quote name='timbo08' timestamp='1409260051' post='10026961']

I'm pretty sure the tags operate off of each other. So you hit a driver and "tag" it on the tee box at Spot A. Then you walk to your ball in the fairway, pull 7 iron, "tag" it at spot B and hit your shot. Your shot ends up on the green and you walk up to it with your putter and "tag" it at Spot C. The Game Golf software is only going to calculate the distances between Tag A to Tag B then Tag B to Tag C. The course itself has nothing to do with it. The GPS is simply reading the spots you marked. So when you were standing on Tag B and you lasered the flag which said 160 on your laser, the system is not going to know at all where the flag is. The distance is going to be calculated wherever you were when you made Tag C. So if you came up short of the pin, it's going to calculate it at say 145. The only thing course related Game Golf does is the mapping in terms of boundaries like the green and the fairways which does have some inaccuracies.
[/quote]

What happened to me was I was 160 yds away. Verified by my laser and Skycaddie. I have played this hole a 1000 times and know that is the Yardage. I hit my 160 yd club and landed the ball 2 feet from the flag. When I transferred my round on the computer, it showed that shot was only 130 yd shot. The flag was in the center of the green. My shot showed on the computer that I landed in the center of the green.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP A303 putter

Got my replacement tags today, less than 5 days after I contacted support, pretty good service!

[quote name='bjp1' timestamp='1409258814' post='10026845'] For example, GIR can be unrepresented on shots finishing slightly on the green. Distances medians can be off if not corrected.

In all, I like it, but am most concern about the consistency of accuracy of the distances.

BP
[/quote]

Sure, but GIR is a dubious stat to begin with. I'd really like to see them come up with a way to mark the actual pin position and give us better data, i.e. distance from that flag instead.

[quote name='jdl' timestamp='1409269243' post='10027607']
Got my replacement tags today, less than 5 days after I contacted support, pretty good service!

[quote name='bjp1' timestamp='1409258814' post='10026845'] For example, GIR can be unrepresented on shots finishing slightly on the green. Distances medians can be off if not corrected.

BP
[/quote]

Sure, but GIR is a dubious stat to begin with. I'd really like to see them come up with a way to mark the actual pin position and give us better data, i.e. distance from that flag instead.
[/quote]

I don't know why that couldn't happen via a "dummy' tag that "ends" the hole when you pull your ball out of the cup.

[quote name='TMelectric' timestamp='1409269191' post='10027597']

[/quote]

What happened to me was I was 160 yds away. Verified by my laser and Skycaddie. I have played this hole a 1000 times and know that is the Yardage. I hit my 160 yd club and landed the ball 2 feet from the flag. When I transferred my round on the computer, it showed that shot was only 130 yd shot. The flag was in the center of the green. My shot showed on the computer that I landed in the center of the green.
[/quote]

I've had this happen a few times, myself, and I still haven't figure out what's causing the issue. I've also had several holes where my approach shot and putts all appear several yards off the green on the map during editing. Even the flag shows up off the green. What's even more strange, the shots accurately reflect "on the green" or "off the green". I'm not sure if this is an issue with their geofencing, or if it's an issue with the map provider.

I should probably open a support ticket, but I usually just fix it and move on.

I think I'm one more price drop from giving this a shot. Still no idea how I would attach the putter tag with the counterbalance weight in the grip though.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='dcmidnight' timestamp='1409306378' post='10029663']
I think I'm one more price drop from giving this a shot. Still no idea how I would attach the putter tag with the counterbalance weight in the grip though.
[/quote]

You could cut the threads and epoxy it on , but I would simply cut the threads off and use it as a ball marker then tagging after i pick it up.

G425 Max 9*o w/ RIP Beta
TEE CBX19 16.5*
Sub70 699U 19.5*
P770 5-P
Exo #7

[quote name='Yrrdead' timestamp='1409313526' post='10029863']
[/quote]

You could cut the threads and epoxy it on , but I would simply cut the threads off and use it as a ball marker then tagging after i pick it up.
[/quote]

Yeah my problem with going the epoxy route is what happens when you need to regrip or you...god forbid...change putters.

I guess you could always keep the putter tag in your pocket, pull it out and tag each putt and just keep it in your pocket?

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

[quote name='CaptainFade' timestamp='1409279482' post='10028611']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I've had this happen a few times, myself, and I still haven't figure out what's causing the issue. I've also had several holes where my approach shot and putts all appear several yards off the green on the map during editing. Even the flag shows up off the green. What's even more strange, the shots accurately reflect "on the green" or "off the green". I'm not sure if this is an issue with their geofencing, or if it's an issue with the map provider.

[/quote]

Agreed, sometimes on my home course, hole number 13 is a par 3. It's usually around 150ish yards. Most of the time I'm able to get on the green and 2 putt. When I get home and download my round it almost always shows my approach shot and 1 putt or 2 putts about 20 yards right of the green, however it still recognizes a GIR and 2 putts. I just move the marker/line to show it actually on the picture of the green, but it almost seems like the mapping or GPS is off since it shows it right of the green by about 20 yards.

No system is perfect, I have been using Game Golf all summer and LOVE IT!

What's In The Bag 

Driver:  Cobra LTDx 9*  ||  FWs:  Cleveland 3 Hy-wood 18*

Hybrid:  Titleist TS2 23*  ||  Irons:  Srixon Z565 6-PW

Wedges*:  Cleveland 588 RTX CB 50*/10* & 58*/12* Black Pearl  ||  PutterΨPing Anser 

Ball: Pro V1x, Srixon Q-star tour, & Kirkland    ||  Bag: Ping Hoofer Lite white/royal

[/quote]

[/quote]

Right, but that map on the computer isn't what is calculating the distance, the GPS coordinates are. The map on the computer is only showing a representation of where those coordinates are in map form.

Now, the system uses that map to determine FW, bunker, GIR, etc, which could be off due to how land mapping works, but distance calculation should never be affected by the map. If it's calculating distance that you hit a shot incorrectly, and you tagged it properly, that's due to the GPS inaccuracy (I'm assuming their formula for calculation isn't incorrect).

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, nothing says that tag has to be placed on the grip, either.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1409315781' post='10029983']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, nothing says that tag has to be placed on the grip, either.
[/quote]

Yea using it as a ball marker is a dang good idea for putting. If I were to do this though, I would probably glue a coin or something to the back of it to give it a little girth. The tags are so light as it is that I could see it falling out of my pocket and me not realizing it at all. Or blowing away in a stiff breeze. Heck maybe you could even just sand down the threaded end so it is skinnier, plenty of plastic ball markers have a small spike coming out of the bottom. Also it would be easier to remember to tag on tap ins as I've found that to be a little awkward when I am just trying to clean my garbage up and get out of someone's way.

[quote name='gigemaggs99' timestamp='1409314596' post='10029911']
[quote name='CaptainFade' timestamp='1409279482' post='10028611']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Agreed, sometimes on my home course, hole number 13 is a par 3. It's usually around 150ish yards. Most of the time I'm able to get on the green and 2 putt. When I get home and download my round it almost always shows my approach shot and 1 putt or 2 putts about 20 yards right of the green, however it still recognizes a GIR and 2 putts. I just move the marker/line to show it actually on the picture of the green, but it almost seems like the mapping or GPS is off since it shows it right of the green by about 20 yards.

No system is perfect, I have been using Game Golf all summer and LOVE IT!
[/quote]

How have you used the information to improve your game?

I screwed it into a wine cork and carried it in my left pocket.. No damage to tag if you ever go back to a putter grip that you can screw it into

Ping G410 LST Fujikura Atmos Black 6X 
Ping TiSi Tec 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff
Ping i25 19* hybrid Aldila Tour Blue S
Ping 410 Crossover 4 iron
Ping Blueprint Modus 120 S Powerspec 
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 48/52/56/60
Ping Sigma2 Tyne
Chromesoft Truvis

Guys just finished my first round with it and when I connect to my comoputer the GameGolf software says 'No Device Connected" and the light on my unit is red.....what the heck??

It was my WORST ball striking round of the year by the way....a couple absolute bombs though, and I scrambled my tail off to shoot 82. I think maybe I broke it when it kept reading 6i as a 36 yd punch out of the trees....

seriously though, anxious to get it uploaded and no luck so far. Running windows 7 home edition on my dell laptop at home.

[quote name='Duffner's Waggle' timestamp='1409333427' post='10031705']
Guys just finished my first round with it and when I connect to my comoputer the GameGolf software says 'No Device Connected" and the light on my unit is red.....what the heck??

It was my WORST ball striking round of the year by the way....a couple absolute bombs though, and I scrambled my tail off to shoot 82. I think maybe I broke it when it kept reading 6i as a 36 yd punch out of the trees....

seriously though, anxious to get it uploaded and no luck so far. Running windows 7 home edition on my dell laptop at home.
[/quote]

Hmm shouldn't be having any problems based on the compatibility chart here.

[url="http://support.gamegolf.com/customer/portal/articles/1448800-windows-requirements-os-support"]http://support.gamegolf.com/customer/portal/articles/1448800-windows-requirements-os-support[/url]

Played my second round today. Tagging is getting easier. On two holes it did show I missed this fairway when I was in the middle. When I was editing my round, the ball was in the fairway as well.

All in all, happy so far. I still swear distances are off on several holes. Both ways. Meaning some shots showed more Yardage than I hit.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP A303 putter

Pretty freakin cool, not gonna lie!

Tagging was really easy to remember to do. I actually had to delete a couple shots because I drove it so poorly today that I tapped for a couple provisionals from the tee and then found my initial drive.

If I hadn't managed to put up a good number (flat stick was workin today!) I probably would have been embarrassed to even sign this round and let you guys see it, LOL.
AVG driver was 269?? Gross....but that'll happen when it hits the trees on the fly ALL. DAY. LONG!!

Had to be an alignment thing. I'd virtually eliminated a slice/fade recently but today it was starting right of my target and fading that way and I just couldn't get it under control, AND THEN, almost every 5w I hit from the tee clipped a branch, hence the 165 yd 5w on # 10 and the 77yd 5w on #5 I think it was....

Either way, super cool re-living the round and remember the good shots (and the bad!) and then being able to see some stats. My 56* wedge is becoming a strength! I like the sound of that, A LOT!!!

Anyways.... chalk this one up to piss-poor ball striking and top notch scramblin! I will say this.....you suckers were in my head all day long....every time I hit a poor drive, what I should have done is left driver in the bag the rest of the day, but I knew you all would be seeing this round lol and i wanted to launch a few more bombs....so I kept [s]over[/s]swinging instead of playing smart.

Alright enough blabberin....go check this sucker out....

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/DuffnersWaggle/round/92102