Best course almost nobody talks about!

123457»

Comments

• SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Members Posts: 5,885 ✭✭

Schley wrote:

Wickenburg Ranch in Wickenburg, Az... It might be the best public course in Arizona. Its about 70 miles from Phoenix. It's a great layout which is fun to play, has a nice variety of holes/shots, has some great views and is one of the best conditioned public courses I have ever played. The place is pure.

I rank it on par, if not ahead, of all of the big name Phoenix/Scottsdale courses (Troon North, WeKoPa, Greyhawk, TPC, etc.)

What is the cost to play in the winter?

I think I played it last winter for like $50. I think they were public at the time and went semi-private now (as far as I know that was always the plan), so it looks like morning rates are much more expensive. I'm seeing $114 and then down to $75 in the afternoons.

Yeah I paid $120 after tax for a 8:00 time last Saturday.

Troon managed courses are always hard on the wallet. Big Wick is worth every penny though. It's everything you want Quintero to be that's not. And it's quite a bit less expensive.
    Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
  • brianhorne8brianhorne8 Members Posts: 1,469 ✭✭

Schley wrote:

Wickenburg Ranch in Wickenburg, Az... It might be the best public course in Arizona. Its about 70 miles from Phoenix. It's a great layout which is fun to play, has a nice variety of holes/shots, has some great views and is one of the best conditioned public courses I have ever played. The place is pure.

I rank it on par, if not ahead, of all of the big name Phoenix/Scottsdale courses (Troon North, WeKoPa, Greyhawk, TPC, etc.)

I think I played it last winter for like $50. I think they were public at the time and went semi-private now (as far as I know that was always the plan), so it looks like morning rates are much more expensive. I'm seeing $114 and then down to $75 in the afternoons.

Troon managed courses are always hard on the wallet. Big Wick is worth every penny though. It's everything you want Quintero to be that's not. And it's quite a bit less expensive.

Haven't played Quintero yet. I was looking at Ak-Chin's site last night and I could have sworn it was cheaper when I played it a couple years back too. It's a Troon course too, so I guess that makes sense.
  • SilverBulletsSilverBullets BMW Members Posts: 5,885 ✭✭

Schley wrote:

Haven't played Quintero yet. I was looking at Ak-Chin's site last night and I could have sworn it was cheaper when I played it a couple years back too. It's a Troon course too, so I guess that makes sense.

As Southern Dunes gets more PR, the price continues to increase. SD is a great layout. It's not really pretty, it's not really a desert course, but it's a really good golf course. It used to be a great deal, now it's not nearly as good of a deal. It's still well worth playing though.
    Taylormade M6 10.5* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.5
    Taylormade '16 M2 15*
    Titleist 816h 21*
    Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
    Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop
  • mallratmallrat Members Posts: 2,914 ✭✭
    Coronado.

A muni in southern San Diego. Might be the best value in golf.
  • ChancemanChanceman Members Posts: 561 ✭✭
    "Wickenburg Ranch in Wickenburg, Az... It might be the best public course in Arizona. Its about 70 miles from Phoenix. It's a great layout which is fun to play, has a nice variety of holes/shots, has some great views and is one of the best conditioned public courses I have ever played. The place is pure.

As Southern Dunes gets more PR, the price continues to increase. SD is a great layout. It's not really pretty, it's not really a desert course, but it's a really good golf course. It used to be a great deal, now it's not nearly as good of a deal. It's still well worth playing though.

If I lived in AZ I would buy a Troon Card with a buddy for half price in October every year and play all the Troon courses (Monument, Ak Chin, Quintero, Wicky, Boulders etc) on the 2-for-1 deal before end of year.
  • Sonja HenieSonja Henie Members Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Good to see munis on this thread!
  • Sonja HenieSonja Henie Members Posts: 108 ✭✭
    GPoppaPump wrote:

Cassique in Kiawah

The Classic at Madden’s in Minnesota

Primland in Virginia

I live in Virginia and have never heard of Primland. Looks sweet, though.
  • El GringoEl Gringo Members Posts: 69 ✭✭
    edited Dec 24, 2018 #189
    I won't say nobody talks about these courses, but they are certainly often overlooked and I think all are truly great.

1. Palmetto...I was astonshed at how good this course is. Maybe I look for different features than most, but I could play this course every week.

El Gringo's GB&I Golf Course Tours

http://www.google.co...2499999965&z=11
  • SixcatSixcat SWVAMembers Posts: 1,441 ✭✭
    El Gringo wrote:

I won't say nobody talks about these courses, but they are certainly often overlooked and I think all are truly great.

1. Palmetto...I was astonshed at how good this course is. Maybe I look for different features than most, but I could play this course every week.

I played Palmetto in 2004. Still consider it to be my favorite course I have had the pleasure of playing! It has an old charm to it that I have never been able to adequately put into words.
  • MyShortGameSucksMyShortGameSucks His doesn't.... Members Posts: 1,347 ✭✭
    El Gringo wrote:

2. Formby...imo very much the match of nearby Birkdale, Lytham & Hoylake.

I love Formby. When I lived in the UK I played it 3 times and it’s just such a great track. A links course with a little bit of parkland mixed in! I like it even more that it’s (relatively) under the radar compared to its more famous neighbours. Really looking forward to taking my son back to the UK in a few years and doing the Liverpool to Blackpool course Tour!
    Callaway Epic Sub Zero Custom All-Black 10.5 deg, Diamana Ahina 60x
    TM 790 UDI 2 iron / PX Hzrdus 85
    Titleist 816H1 19 deg, Fuji 88H
    Titleist 816H2 23 deg, Fuji 88H
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-7, Tour 8-PW. Nippon Modus 105x
    Mizuno S18, 50, 54, 58 deg - Nippon Modus 120s
    SC Futura XR / SC Golo 5 / SC Notchback
    Bridgestone B330 - B
  • burnsniperburnsniper Members Posts: 536 ✭✭
    Easy - Robert Trent Jones GC: built to host Presidents Cup Matches, 10 consecutive lake side holes, 19th hole to settle bets, awesome clubhouse and practice facilities. Easily a top 100 course but never makes the rating and is never discussed.
  • Tim GavrichTim Gavrich Golf Travel Guru Featured Writer Posts: 191 ✭✭
    Underrated Florida courses I've played:

- Brooksville CC

- Riviera CC (near Daytona)

- Fort Myers CC

- PGA Village - Dye (it's pretty well-known, but it's terrific and I don't think it gets its due; it's definitely the best of PGA's three courses)

- The Florida Club
    Senior Writer, Golf Advisor

TM M3 10.5* - UST V2
    Srixon Z F65 15* & 19*
    TM V-Steel 21*
    Titleist 710 MB 4-PW
    Cleveland RTX-3 52* and 58*
    Evnroll ER5 (370g)
  • brianhorne8brianhorne8 Members Posts: 1,469 ✭✭
    El Gringo wrote:

I played all 27 at Princes last month and I think the redesigned Himalayas nine is so absurdly good. St. Georges and Cinque Ports looked amazing too, but I think I'd be happy playing Princes for a really long time, especially when you consider the other two places are twice to three times as much money per round.
  • youraway2youraway2 Just Old Sticks Members Posts: 1,402 ✭✭
    edited Jan 3, 2019 8:06pm #195
    TK3 wrote:

BNGL wrote:

Willow Point in Sylacauga? Alabama.

Kinderlou Forest Valdosta Georgia

Larimore Municipal Golf Course Larimore North Dakota (only 9 holes but the craziest elevation changes and you'll hit every club in your bag)

Blueberry Pines in Menahga Minnesota, one of the best conditioned I have ever played.

Chaska Town Course Chaska Minnesota. Doesn't get as much attention as Hazeltine is literally right down the road, but in my opinion it's just as good if not better.

Sand Creek Station in Hutchison Kansas is underrated in my opinion.

North Creek in Southaven Mississippi

I agree with your choices - but Sand Creek Station is in Newton, KS - not Hutchinson. It is a great course, with all four Par 5s playing over 600 yrds - with #10 being the longest in KS @ 640 yards. Course is always in great shape and very playable, IF you play from the right Tee boxes. $25 with cart @ twilight - best value in the Midwest.
    Concerning Kinderlou, we just played it, perfect conditions and stayed at the Kinderlou Inn. Total lodging and golf costs was slightly more than one night in the HI Express for me and my wife. Love this course, always perfect, great people and fantastic food. #2 demands your total attention.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    [font=comic sans ms,cursive]Ping G-400 Max, 10.5, Xtorsion[/font]
    PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
    PXG, 19-degree hybrid, ACCRA
    Cobra DWS Utility 19-degree
    CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
    0311 PXG, 5-AW, i70 Areotech Steel-fiber
    SW, 56 PXG
    Ping Nickel Anser II
    edited Jan 4, 2019 6:45pm #196
    Three in VA I really like;

Mattaponi

Popular Forest Grove

Royal New Kent
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
    CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
    SW, 56 PXG
    Ping Nickel Anser II
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,738 ✭✭
    youraway2 wrote:

Mattaponi

Popular Forest

Royal New Kent

Poplar image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> and would agree great track.
    CDM wrote:

youraway2 wrote:

Mattaponi

Popular Forest

Royal New Kent

Poplar image/biggrin.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> and would agree great track.
    Oops I made a mistake, I meant Popular Grove
    PXG, 15-degree, ACCRA
    CF-16, 4-PW, UST Recoil
    SW, 56 PXG
    Ping Nickel Anser II