ANNOUNCEMENT:
Please have patience. We understand that this sucks and it will get MUCH better. Link to full post HERE

Please add any bugs (problems) with new software in the Website Help Forum. There is a dedicated thread HERE.

REVIEWS: 2018 Callaway Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X. Read what members say here.

HipCheckHipCheck Toed it a lil, Romes.Members, Marshals Posts: 6,209 mod
Chrome Soft Testers
  1. cbrwn425
  2. 02alex02
  3. pheenomz4774
  4. FAbb
  5. birdog903
  6. spur22
  7. bsawhney
  8. Mr D
  9. Boricua Golf
  10. CenturyHack
  11. mtiger10
  12. Hairpie

Chrome Soft X Testers
  1. mission_scratch
  2. driveandputtmachine
  3. drvrwdge
  4. JStang
  5. theboypinoy
  6. FLGOLFJUNKIE
  7. tmak19
  8. orbless
  9. tripleH
  10. youngunz5840
  11. MikekiM
  12. OspreyCI

They'll be playing and reviewing them in the coming weeks. Check back here to see their reviews and add your own.
Post edited by Unknown User on
Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

Comments

• driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Advanced Members Posts: 1,126 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I am a Chrome Soft X tester.

First I would like to thank GolfWRX for this opportunity. Ever since I was a high school golfer I never cared for the Titleist options on the market, i never played the Tour Balata, or the professional or the Pro V1 for any length of time. I played the Maxfli HT, Prcept EV extra spin, Tour Edition(Greg Norman’s Ball) and the Top Flite Z Balata. I ended up settling on the Bridgestone for a long time until the last two years. I have mostly settled on the Snel MTB, but I will buy whatever is on sale in between tournaments and for the shag bag. I will be completely honest, I have never played a chrome soft of any kind. Between the Snell and 20 dollars for Srixon Z Stars, or TM tour preferred x I never saw a reason to try.

I am just doing some unboxing today, it is supposed to rain tomorrow, then be back in the 40’s for highs until Saturday. i will be putting the Chrome Softs through their paces.

A little about me. My swing speed is 115 - 118 with the driver, I am a high spin player, my 7 irons routinely drop and stop, and PW and lower tend to spin back. my natural shot shape is a cut, but I can hit the irons and 3 wood both directions. I will be doing comparisons to the TM tour preferred x, Snell MTB, and Srixon Z Star XV. My sig shows my clubs. I will compare distance of longer clubs and irons, spin with everything(especially on pitches and chips).

So far with the putter, it feels very soft. I am putting with a Carbon Sunset Beach currently. I will be able to tell more once I can hit some longer putts. All tour level balls feel soft on short putts.

If you want any specific info please reply to my post and I will try and help.

Driver - Ping 400 MAX on UST Mamiya Green Proto
    Fairway - Cobra 3-4 LTD on UST Axivcore Black
    Hybrid - TM UDI 2 iron on Nippon 130 or Ping G400 17* on UST Hybrid black
    Irons - (4-A) Taylormade 790's on KBS Tour
    Wedges - Cleveland Rotex 3.0 55*, Rotex 4.0 60* on NIppon 130
    Putter - Mannkrafted MA/66 or Taylormade Spider
    Ball - TM TP5x or Srixon Z Star XV
  • JStangJStang Advanced Members Posts: 2,369 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks to GolfWRX for selecting me to review the Chrome Soft X. I received them in the mail today along with a nice GolfWRX sticker. I always liked the Chrome Soft but it lacked a little bit of feel that I'm hopeful the "X" provides.

I will start off by getting some numbers for you guys on SkyTrak comparing data to ProV1, ProV1X, and B330. I will then get some on course data the next time I get out.

3/14 Update: I got some ball data on SkyTrak to share with you guys. I am fighting a nice little push draw (most would call it a hook) right now but tried to get 3 solid shots with each ball and each club. All balls were brand new when I started the test and the SkyTrak was set to 50 ft. above sea level.

For those of you that are not familiar with SkyTrak, they give you a backspin and sidespin number so backspin will look low to many of you given each club but if you were to add the back spin and side spin number together you will get total spin. I will get driver data by next week and I hope to get out on the course this weekend. I was at the Valspar last weekend and have a 2.5 year old and 3 month old at home so my course time has been limited.

One thing that I really like visually is the CHROME SOFT X print on the ball. It is nice and long and I don't see a need to draw a line on the ball with the sharpie for those of you who use one for aligning putts.

3/24 Update:

I finally got 18 in last night and got to see how the ball performed on the course. It took me a while to get going but once I started hitting some good shots I could see how well the ball would perform. It was blowing at about 15 mph yesterday and the course was playing as firm and fast as I've ever seen it. I stepped on the first tee box cold without hitting any balls prior to the round. The first hole was into a left to right wind and I aimed it up the left side of the fairway and the wind took it back dead center. Impressive start! My approach was a touchy 70 yard shot which I have been known to hit about 10-20 yards long. I nipped it perfectly with a 3/4 sand wedge and it went about 10 yards past the pin but spun back a good 10 feet. I haven't had a shot spin back like that on these greens in years and it is a relatively flat green! I'm not sure if it was the ball or the green but it was cool to put it past the pin and watch it work back.

Here comes the not so "humble brag." The fourth hole was dead down wind and I have hit some of my longest drives as of late on this hole and my previous long drive of all time was on this hole at 329 yards. It's a flat hole but the fairway is firm and the wind is almost always a helping wind. I absolutely smoke this thing and hit a high ball that just rode the wind for what seemed like eternity. I set my Garmin S6 approach to measure the shot and get up to the ball and the watch reads 331 yards. Three driver swings into playing the new Chrome Soft X and I had a new personal long! I may or may not have bladed my wedge into the green but that's neither here nor there.

As the round went on, I was impressed with the ball and how it reacted on the greens. The feel is similar to the ProV1 which I prefer. If you find the original Chrome Soft to be too soft, do yourself a favor and give the X a shot. This ball is as good as any tour ball that I've played.

F9 Rogue Fairway | 915H 2 & 3 | 718 CBVokey SM6 52, 58Byron Morgan DH89
  • mission_scratchmission_scratch Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,080 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thank you GolfWRX and Callaway for the chance to test the Chrome Soft X!! Just got the golf balls tonight and will begin testing and uploading pics in the next few days! Thanks Again!
  • drvrwdgedrvrwdge Advanced Members Posts: 2,219 ✭✭
    So when I opened the thread and read drimeandputtmachine’s opening post I had to do a double take, thinking I had already posted. First because it is almost to a T my exact experiences throughout my golfing life and secondly because I have a 6 week old baby girl and I don’t think I’ve slept in 3 weeks.... but I digress.

Here’s where we do differ. Although I have tried almost every ball in the market I always find myself coming back to whatever iteration of Titleist is their current tour ball. From Tour Balatas to The Professionals to the current Pro V1x and everything in between. I’ve been playing since I was 10, 1989, and played a year in college with a few breaks here and there. Back in the day when spin was king nothing beat the Topflite Z Balatas but the Slazengers in my book were as good as anything out there.

Our swing speeds are similar. I carry my 7i ~180 and can say I hit the big stick a pretty long ways, I won’t go in detail... I’m 6’3” 195 with steeper transition and a little EE but I’ve just learned that there ain’t no getting rid of it. No matter how many GG Swingtips videos I watch. Late release, higher spin player who has worked my way into hitting a cut but played a draw for 25 years. It’s just too inconsistent, I have to work to hit the draw the cut I can just swing left and release the club.

I have played the previous versions of the Chrome Soft and Chrome Soft X. The first iteration was a decent ball but I would get random knuckle ball fliers with irons that would go 10-15 farther than normal so that was a no go. I actually really liked last years CSX but that classic cursive writing roped me back in. I’ve played the new TP5 X and both Bridgestone offerings but like the CSX before I was once again lured back to “the #1 ball in Golf”.

I am actually very excited and humbled to have been chosen to test the latest version of the CSX. I have heard great things about it from a few staffers in my area I have had the pleasure of being around. Ones Australian and won the API last year but I won’t mention any names.. The other a solid mini tour player who hits the ball farther than anyone I’ve ever seen, even me and that’s saying something lol.

Weather looks decent this week so I should be able to get out for some short game work and I will be playing Saturday so more to come. Once again thank you GolfWRX for this opportunity.
    Ping G400 8.5 LST Kuro Kage XT 60TX
    Ping G 14.5 Fujikura VC TS 7.3x
    Ping G410 2 Crossover Tensei CK Pro Blue 80 TX
    Ping i210 4-pw PX 6.5
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 50 SS, 54 SS, 58ES PX 6.5
    Ping Sigma2 Tyne 4, Black Stealth Shaft, PP58
    '19 Srixon Z Star XV
    Jones Utility Trouper
  • cbrwn425cbrwn425 Advanced Members Posts: 344 ✭✭
    First I want to thank you to GolfWRX and Callaway for the chance to review the new chrome soft ball.

Just got them in the mail with a nice decal today. Currently I’m a 12 handicap so I can best describe my game as consistently inconsistent. Once the weather clears I’ll take these out to the practice green and spend some time comparing them to last years ball. Then next week I’ll head out to the course and do some on course testing.
  • youngunz5840youngunz5840 Advanced Members Posts: 2,259 ✭✭
    Super super amped to get the opportunity to test these. I have played just about every golf ball lately trying to figure out what I like. Lately I have been running the Taylormade tp. I was around a 12 last year thanks to lessons from GolfWRX’s own Zach Heusser after being stuck at 20 for years. Right now I’m at 15 as I have a 4 month old boy. I have always loved the feel of chrome softs but they were short off the long clubs. I am hoping this Cali rain passes and I can get out this weekend to see the difference graphene makes.
  • JOHN GOLIAJOHN GOLIA On the Bubble Advanced Members Posts: 1,256
    Got a sleeve of CSX to try from my Rep.

All I can say if you want more distance with all your clubs

with spin, it's much better then the previous CSX.

No comment on feel. Feel is so subjective with each player.

Clubs you play. Putter you use with inserts or not.

So makes no sense to me to give you any comments on feel.

For me on price. It's worth the extra $5.00

• theboypinoytheboypinoy Advanced Members Posts: 1,977 ✭✭
    Firstly, thanks to GolfWRX for the opportunity.

As mentioned above, I'm a tester for the new version of the Chrome Soft X. They arrived earlier, and I'm excited.

Can't wait! image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

• bulldog8bbulldog8b Advanced Members Posts: 939
    Oooh, look at you guys, got balls in plain white boxes. You made it! 😂
  • Boricua GolfBoricua Golf Members, Advanced Members Posts: 3,379 ✭✭
    Thank you to GolfWRX!!!!, waiting for mine to show up, hopefully the weather holds and I can get out Saturday to test these!!!
    Ping G LS Tec 10.5*, Ping Tour 65X, tipped 1", 44.25"
    Ping G 14.5*, Diamana Whiteboard D+ 82X, tipped .5", 42.5"
    Ping G 19*, Tour AD-DI 105X
    Ping iBlade 4-P, Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58* with Project X 6.5 Flighted
    Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour 32.75", built up Pingman Grip (Ping Oslo and Ping Nome TR as backup 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0)
    2017 Pro V1, K-Sigs and Chrome Soft X
  • mtiger10mtiger10 Advanced Members Posts: 219
    edited March 2018
    I am thankful to have been chosen to review the Chrome soft golf ball. The last Callaway golf ball that I played regularly was the tour i. I've been using the Pro V1x for the last several years but I'm excited about testing graphene technology. I'm not a big guy with huge swing speed, my 7 iron distance is around 140 and I play to about 15-16 handicap. Iron play is decent but chipping/pitching is usually my downfall. I'll start by testing the golf balls on the putting green and move to the short game area. My youngest son is playing in the PGA Junior League this year so I'm anxious to get him out there this weekend hopefully.
  • OspreyCIOspreyCI Advanced Members Posts: 4,695 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thank you GolfWrx for the opportunity to test the Callaway Chrome Soft X.

Little about myself first. I have been playing the game for about 30 years and been on this site for a long time. I am a 10 hdcp weekend player with around 100-102 SS with driving being my nemesis. My short game and putting save me most days. Therefore, I like to use a ball that spins controllably around the green. I have been playing Callaway Hex Chrome, Bridgestone B330s, Snell MTB, TM TPx, and mostly the KSIG (favorite ball).

I received these balls last night and went straight to the garage to do some putting on my mat. I put the CSX up against the KSIG and the CSX felt great and had a good solid, bit heavy, feeling to it. Feel was pretty close the the KSIG, but not as soft. Love the feel! The best thing about living in AZ is that I can go anytime to practice. I will be hitting the short game and putting green in the next few days to test it out some more.

Can wait to play my first round with it. Thanks again GolfWrx!

UPDATE: 3/6 Went to the GC today and headed for the short game area. I putted with the CSX against the KSIG as well as chipping and pitching against these two balls.

Putting was darn near equal the feel department as well as distance control- neck and neck.

Short game started with short chips then longer ones. The CSX felt a touch harder, but had equal spin control and roll out.

Pitching is where I saw a slight difference. The KSIG was a touch higher trajectory and great spin. The CSX was a little lower and felt harder (not much), but had very good spin. I holed a few with the CSX once I got the “feel” of the ball. Hitting 40’yatd pitches Incould tell I want to hit this with an iron and driver badley.

This ball is going to be very good. LOVED it around the green. Could knock my beloved KSIG to the back pocket....

TM M3 9.5 GD AD DI Black 6
    TM M2 15* Speeder 757 Evo TS
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    TM MY Spider Tour Black
  • bsawhneybsawhney Advanced Members Posts: 320 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Thanks to GolfWRX and Callaway for the chance to review the new chrome soft ball.

Received package yesterday, will spend some time putting with these first before putting them in play.

[Update March 10th]

Played at Callippe Preserve in Pleasanton CA early morning, conditions were a bit wet as we have had some rains for the last few days. Only played three Par 3 holes with the new Chrome Soft ball, to see how this ball performs on tee shots and performs on the green and not lose any balls for more updates later. Remaining holes played Duo Spin as conditions were wet and don't need a urethane ball on wet days.

1st Par 3 Hole #4 ... this is a downhill par 3, flag at the back today around 194 yards over a ridge. There was not much wind on this hole. chrome soft holds the flight path very well with not too much side spin. Stopped with one bounce and settled down on the green. Holds the line very well, aligned the ball using the "chrome soft" alignment on the ball. Putting was a challenge for me today with the distance control for this ball, it was going too long for me, well past the hole.

• MikekiMMikekiM Advanced Members Posts: 177 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Wanted to thank GolfWRX and Callaway Golf for selecting me to test these new Chrome Soft X balls. Just received mine this afternoon!

Just a little background about myself I'm a 4hdcp, been playing about 35 years, 102 swing speed. Currently I switch around with the balls between the Ksig, B330, and CSX. I'll be performing some testing on a GC2 with a couple different balls for comparison.

Looking forward to testing and providing some results soon! Let me know if you have any questions.

Update 3/7

OspreyCI wrote:

Thank you GolfWrx for the opportunity to test the Callaway Chrome Soft X.

Little about myself first. I have been playing the game for about 30 years and been on this site for a long time. I am a 10 hdcp weekend player with around 100-102 SS with driving being my nemesis. My short game and putting save me most days. Therefore, I like to use a ball that spins controllably around the green. I have been playing Callaway Hex Chrome, Bridgestone B330s, Snell MTB, TM TPx, and mostly the KSIG (favorite ball).

I received these balls last night and went straight to the garage to do some putting on my mat. I put the CSX up against the KSIG and the CSX felt great and had a good solid, bit heavy, feeling to it. Feel was pretty close the the KSIG, but not as soft. Love the feel! The best thing about living in AZ is that I can go anytime to practice. I will be hitting the short game and putting green in the next few days to test it out some more.

Can wait to play my first round with it. Thanks again GolfWrx!

UPDATE: 3/6 Went to the GC today and headed for the short game area. I putted with the CSX against the KSIG as well as chipping and pitching against these two balls.

Putting was darn near equal the feel department as well as distance control- neck and neck.

Short game started with short chips then longer ones. The CSX felt a touch harder, but had equal spin control and roll out.

Pitching is where I saw a slight difference. The KSIG was a touch higher trajectory and great spin. The CSX was a little lower and felt harder (not much), but had very good spin. I holed a few with the CSX once I got the “feel” of the ball. Hitting 40’yatd pitches Incould tell I want to hit this with an iron and driver badley.

This ball is going to be very good. LOVED it around the green. Could knock my beloved KSIG to the back pocket....

Update: 3/7 went back to the GC and same routine as yesterday. By the way, for reference, I am putting with an OG TM Spider with the metal AGSI insert and chipping with a TM MG 54 and 60 wedges.

I mostly worked on long putts today looking for feel of the CSX against the KSIG and distance control. On longer putts the CSX got more clickier, which is what I like. Feels more like a ProV1x on longer putts and a KSIG on shorter putts. Overall, feels great in short and long putts.

I was only able pitch from about 20-40 yards with not short pitches or chips. The CSX has tons of spin and is still lower trajectory than the KSIG as I saw yesterday. The feel gets a little harder the the longer the shot. Don’t get me wrong, it feels really good next to the KSIG that almost feels mushy side by side. They both seem to hop and stop when needed or roll out when I want them too. Overall, really good ball on day two with it.
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    TM MY Spider Tour Black
    I was able to sneak out and play nine holes at the short course next to where I live. First hole hit a pw 135yds into the wind and the ball hit and spun back from its pitch mark. Next few holes I didn’t put the best swing on the ball as my back was stiff and I was waiting on each tee. The ball has great feel off the putter and wedges. In the past the chrome soft has been short compared to other balls I normally put in play so I pulled out a b330s that usually performs at the top of the list but lacks the feel I prefer. First hole I went head to head was 128 yds into the wind and sun going down. The b330s hits the front of the green and spins off. The chrome soft x hits the middle and rolls back but stays on. Next hole I pull both so user error negates that show down. Final hole on the course is a 302 yd par 4 and next to the driving range so you have to hit middle or you won’t be finding your ball if you go right or risk getting taken out by the range. Hit both clean and they both landed and got zero roll because the grass was soggy. The b330s lands 40yds short and the csx ends up about 7yds ahead. In the past the chrome soft would be 15yds behind sonthisnis a huge jump. I plan to get out on a full length course with my buddy who plays to a 9 and see how it plays for both of us.
    So I have not been able to play, but I did get to putt and chip...I am reviewing the regular Chrome Soft, I am comparing them to the B330S, KSig, Nike Tour Platinum and the new ProV1:

Putter Feel (Ping Karsten TR Zing):

The CS is very close to the B330S in the way it comes off the putter, the other 2 are a bit more clicky, with the CS being just a tad softer, distance control was also better with the CS.

Chipping (50, 54, 58 wedges):

The CS surprised me here, it was checking very quick with every wedge, so a bit of an adjustment had to be made, I could be more aggressive flying it closer to the hole and it always checked very nicely stopping right by the hole, the B330 and the ProV1 were releasing a bit more but still checking very nice as well, again, the B330S and the CS were softer coming off the clubs, KSig releasing just a bit more than the other 2 (not bad by any means) and the Nike was more a bump and run type of shot to get it to perform at its best.

So far I am liking this new iteration of the CS, I've played the regular CS and the X since we did the Gear Trials in 2016, so far this version is working really well, hope the weather holds and I can give it a full test on the course this Saturday, more to follow...
    Ping Karsten TR Zing Tour 32.75", built up Pingman Grip (Ping Oslo and Ping Nome TR as backup 33.25" with SS Pistol GT Tour 1.0)
  • BenkrossBenkross 1200 Rounds, Zero Aces Advanced Members Posts: 652 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    I played the Chrome Soft for the first time on my last round. I was impressed with the putter feel, short game spin and they have made a MASSIVE improvement on performance into the wind. The cover is still not very durable compared to the TP5/x and other top level balls. I do enjoy how soft the Yellow is. Often I find the Yellow versions of balls play firmer than their white counterparts. I live in NYC and the temps are around 40 degrees so we'll see how it compares to the TP5/x in the warmer weather, but so far, I am very impressed. I was incredibly surprised how straight the flight was off the driver. I hit some of the straightest drives I've ever hit with a high spin ball. The day I played it, I compared it to the Srixon Zstar (yellow) and the NXT Tour S (yellow). The Chrome Soft and Zstar have very similar short game and putter performance, but I thought the Chrome Soft was better off the driver. The NXT Tour S doesn't compare to either of those balls.
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Epic Sub Zero 9.6* (Tour AD TP6x)[/background][/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Epic 3 Wood 15* (Rogue Black 80s)[/background][/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]R15 TP 20* Speeder Evo TS [/background][/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]869x[/background][/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]716 AP2 [/background][/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]([/background][/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]ProjectX 6.0)[/background][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Wedges [/background][/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]([/background][/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]ProjectX 6.0)[/background][/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]SM5 F Grind 52/8 [/background][/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]SM6 S Grind 56/10[/background][/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TM Hi-Toe 60 ATV[/background][/font]

[font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]Spider Mini[/background][/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(252, 252, 252)]TP 5/5x[/background][/font]
    When I saw the sunny forecast, I was anxious to get out to the putting green today to test the Chrome Soft. When I arrived it was covered, apparently freeze warning 🙄😣. I was able to putt a few inside and I was surprised how aggressive I had to be with putting stroke (Odyssey Works Tank Cruiser #7) on CS as opposed to ProV1. Felt really soft coming off the face with that counter balanced putter, really had to go after it. However, it held the line well and distance control came easy. Tried putts from 5, 10, & 15 feet and actually sunk more with CS. Still actually prefer the feedback and little click on the putts with ProV1.
    First of all, thanks again to GolfWRX and Callaway for the opportunity to test the 2018 version of the Chrome Soft X ball. I had a chance to take them out onto the course today. Here are my first impressions.

I forgot to take pictures, so this will be an image-less review for now, unfortunately.

I putted with the ball first on the practice green when I initially arrived at the course. Feel is extremely subjective, but here is what I observed. Coming off of the putter face—a milled, non-insert putter—it felt good. It didn’t sound any more clicky or any more dull. Sounded pretty close to my gamer ball, the Srixon XV. Didn’t have any actually Srixons with me though, so only off of feel and recollection, that’s what I think. I’m going to roll them against each other fairly soon to compare.

Chipping and pitching was good. Had some grab when needed, and rolled out when playing for it. Nothing was odd about the performance, all solid. My short game isn’t the best, probably what holds me off from scoring lower, but the ball didn’t hurt my game.

Won’t be able to actually play with the ball on the course until next week, but will update when I do.
  • orblessorbless Advanced Members Posts: 124 ✭✭
    I was able to get out today to play 18 with the new Chrome Soft X. Weather held nice, high 50's with a bit of wind. The first nine I was able to test the 2018 CSX vs the 2017 CSX and on the back nine I played mostly with the 2018 CSX as well as some shots with the Bridgestone B330.

Some background information about me. I am playing a 2017 M2 in 9* with an Aldila Rogue Silver 70 XStiff, swing speed around 110 - 113. Titleist 915Fd 3 wood @ 14.25*, 915Hd @ 18.25*, Titleist irons; 710 AP2 4 iron, 710 CB 5 iron, 710 MB 6 - PW. Nike VR Forged 52*, Vokey SM4 56*, Vokey SM6 60* M and an Odyssey Metal X #9. Currently playing off of 3. My go to ball most recently has been the Bridgestone B330 followed closely by the Chrome Soft X, so I have a good amount of experience with the Chrome Soft's. In the past year I have played the B330, B330S, Chrome Soft X, TP5X, ZStar, Pro V1x, Snell MTB and Oncore Elixer. I had settled on the Bridgestone and/or based on the performance as well as cost. I loved the feel of the TP5x and it's wind performance was great but the cost has made me not want to game it, same goes for the Pro V. For me personally I have come to find the B330 as the best mix of performance and value.

When I first inspected the 18 CSX vs the 17 is that it feels a bit softer and tackier than the 17 version and was slightly more matte in appearance. Otherwise the two are pretty similar in appearance.

CSX 2018 vs 2017

• tmak19tmak19 Advanced Members Posts: 188 ✭✭
    Big thank you to Golfwrx for selecting me to be one of the members to test the Chrome X. I played 14 holes in the late afternoon with it yesterday and 18 today. The course was pretty empty yesterday and was able to do some side by side comparisons with the 2017 Pro V1X. I found that both balls were very similar in feel and spin off the wedges. Where the Chrome X outshines the Pro V1X (for me) is with shots into the wind. The Chrome X was consistently 10 - 15 yards longer on drives that were into a pretty stiff breeze. The ball flight for both balls with the driver were very similar but for some reason the Chrome X just seems to bore right through the wind. I recently purchased a couple boxes of the Bridgestone Tour B and will do a side by side comparison with them in the coming weeks. The durability of the Chrome X is on par with most of today urethane cover balls. Here is a picture of the ball after 32 holes. (Full disclosure, I hit a tree on 2 separate occasions.)

• Mr DMr D The trouble with trouble is it starts out as fun.. Advanced Members Posts: 122
    Thank you GolfWRX, mine have arrived. Looking forward to testing them.

I have rounds at Black Horse and Bayonet coming up. Will do a full on course report from those rounds. Planning on chipping and putting testing to start with.
    Ping Rapture V2 10.5 deg
    Callaway Rogue 4 wood
    Cobra F7 hybrid 22 deg
    Srixon 765 5-PW
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 52 & 58
    Edel E-2
  • pheenomz4774pheenomz4774 Advanced Members Posts: 867 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    As others have stated, I want to express my extreme gratitude to Callaway and GolfWRX for providing a couple sleeves of the new ball for us to test. I was very excited receiving the notice and though I'm planning to do more extensive testing next week, I just wanted to share some initial thoughts.

About Me: I *was* a trending down single digit handicap (around 6 towards the end of the fall last year) until I had my first child and most of the practicing and consistent playing stopped. Even when I was playing my best I had an "average Joe" swing speed and didn't really crush the ball especially in this at around sea level here in Central Florida. Off the tee and the rest of the long game is where I need the most help and I've tried everything from the most premium of balls to the cheap 2 piece rocks to see where I can get help. My tendency is to launch the ball high with spin, and that can lead to ballooning issues.

What I need from a Golf Ball: The two things I need from a golf ball, predictability, and stable flight. I've never worried too much about high-end vs. low-end golf balls mostly because I feel as long as I know what the golf ball is going to do, I can plan for it. However, playing in winter/spring in Florida, there can be days where it gets annoyingly windy. I need a ball that has a stable ball flight that can fight through the wind a little bit.

Course Testing March 10th: Had an early morning tee time in cooler Florida weather when I tested the Chrome Soft against a Bridgestone Tour B RX and my normal winter ball the Wilson 50 Elite. There was a bit of wind so it was a good chance to test how stable the Chrome Soft was. My initial reactions after a few shots is the ball had a firm feel to it. Compared to the Bridgestone, I was noticing the driver flight was a bit higher, but the iron flight was a bit flatter. Gave me a couple of extra yards on some early wedges into the green. Specifically on the first hole, I hit a Pitching Wedge into the green and thought I short sided myself, but the Chrome Soft traveled a bit further than how I felt and I ended up about 4 yards past pin high on the green.

The course I play the most also has a short par 4 where the tees were moved way up. It was only 260 to cover the front and normally I wouldn't have the juice on a cold morning, but decided to pull driver out and see. The ball flight again off the driver was very high, but I got almost the carry I needed to land the ball on the green. You could say I was very pleased to get that type of result.

Back to all Ping...
    G400 Driver 9.0°
    G30 3 Wood 15.5°, G 5 Wood 18.5°
    i210 4 - PW
    Glide 50°/54° SS, 58° ES
    Sigma 2 Valor (B.ig U.gly M.allet)
  • driveandputtmachinedriveandputtmachine 4 wedges or 2 iron? That is the question! Advanced Members Posts: 1,126 ✭✭
    edited March 2018
    Was finally able to get out today to play 18. As I stated earlier, I have not played earlier iterations of the chromesoft. The mid irons were strange, driver was shorter, and wedges spun too much. Chipping was first, this time of year I tend to play more low checking/spinning shots, and less height stopping shots since there isn’t much grass to be able to get under the ball.

The shots below were three chromesofts(all at the top vs. a TM tour preffered X and a Srixon Z Star XV.

The Srixon and TM both ran out more, the chromesoft X was checking quite a bit more. I also noticed a much clickier feel from the Chromesofts on long putts vs. the other two.

Tomorrow, will have the chance to play out with them on the course. Will update at that point.

As of now, I have continued to try these out short game wise, as this is always the biggest thing I have to adjust to.

I putted these against the Srixon XV (my current gamer), and I think I may like the feel of these Chrome Soft X better. They have a similar sound off the milled putter face. It's an audible click without being too hard. With that being said, the feel is a little softer off the face with the CSX, which I really, really like. At times, it's a little difficult to gauge how well you've hit it with the Srixon XV. With the CSX, however, the feel allows me to have a better chance of identifying where I hit it on the clubface. I really enjoyed that aspect of the ball.

So far, really like the ball so far. Will update when I get it out on the course.
  • tripleHtripleH McGregor ClubWRX Charter Members Posts: 88 ClubWRX
    edited March 2018
    First off I want to say a big thanks to GolfWRX and Callaway for the opportunity to be selected as a Callaway Chrome Soft X tester/reviewer. I have signed up for a few giveaways and never thought I would get selected and low and behold there was a PM in my inbox informing me I was winner. For those of you who have not joined as a member...come one its only $35 for the year and you get to participate in yearly giveaways and the fees go to a great cause.

Ok back to the subject to at hand - Callaway CSX injected with Graphene was the ball I was sent to test and provide a review about. I promise to be unbiased and truthful throughout the process.

Lets start off with Graphene and what is it? Graphene is the strongest material ever tested with an intrinsic strength of 130GPa = 18,854,906 psi. A quick search on google will show images of a hexagonal carbon structure elements - just like the dimple of a golf ball.

I first heard of this new injected CSX ball back in November '17 and was told that it may never come to the market because of the costs associated with what was only known at the time as "injected material"; which is Graphene. I was also hearing rumors of 5 to 10 yards distance gains, and I was like sure ok I will believe it when I test it. Such a disbeliever of the 7 to 10 yards distance gain claims that I hear and often chuckle to myself when I hear it every 18 to 24 months. Fast forward several months from November '17 to January '18 and all this buzz is being generated from the PGA that they need to scale the ball back and I was wondering if this had anything to do with this new injected ball and if the claims of increased distance where true.

So here we are with a fresh delivery of the new '18 CSX balls being in my possession and the first thing I thought to myself was how in the world can i tell the '16/'17 apart from the '18? I wanted to make sure I had the skinny on the details and the difference I found is the new '18 CSX has solid black arrows on each side the alignment script that says, "CHROME SOFT X".

This follows suit with how other ball manufactures change fonts to distinguish a new iteration to a subservient one and I believe Callaway nailed it on the head with the small change they made to distinguish the '18 CSX. The Chevron logo and Callaway Script looks identical from the previous iteration and I believe they should have lowered the Chevron logo and put the number in between the script and the Chevron…my 0.02. When looking at the hexagonal patterns from the side it brings up memories of the Callaway HX Tour from '05 - dimple changes that have evolved from then are quite elegant.

I would rate aesthetics of the ball at 8 out of 10 - color is vibrant white which I prefer, the numbering font bugs me for some reason, and I think the Callaway ball logo could use an overhaul.
    6.jpg 180.5K
    So I had the chance to play this Saturday and took advantage. This portion of my review will be highly subjective since it is a playing review and I have no cold hard data to support my findings other than some random yardages.

Temperature was sub 50's and damp with an off and on spitting of rain. Wind was light to variable, I'd say 5-10 most of the day. Needless to say not the greatest conditions to judge length in but I will do my best to compare to rounds I have played this winter in similar conditions. I will break my initial review down into 4 sections Putting, Short Game, Irons and Driver then do my best to elaborate on my findings from there..

Putting: I started putting with 2 of the CSX's before heading to the range with is my general routine. Just a little something to try to knock of the cobwebs and get the blood flowing and feeling in my extremities started. To me the ball is soft, still much softer than any other premium tour ball I have played. Whether is be the "S" or "X" version. I have read reviews where people have commented they feel the same click from the CSX that they do with other premium balls and I just don't see how that's possible. Not saying its bad just different and its something I would need to get used to. I played well today and had plenty of opportunities, our greens roll around 11 but I had several birdie putts where I felt like I made my normal stroke and they came up short, dead in the heart. It always baffles me how pros talk about not being able to adjust to the speed of the green during a round, you would think a world class athlete would be able to adjust after a few holes but alas I suffered the same fate today. (PS I am not a world class athlete). I do like the feel, it is definitely soft as butter and an excellent sensation I just think it will take me a few practice sessions to get accustomed to it.

Short Game: This is one area where I feel the ball is a great improvement over previous iterations. One of the several reasons I hadn't played the ball in the past was because I felt I was able to get the short game spin on the ball I could with other balls. Im talking the little 10yd checkers or the 30-40 pitches to short sided pins where you needed that zip. I felt the ball performed on par with both the V1 and V1x I generally go back and forth between. The great thing about the ball was that while I was able to get the sort game spin I needed my full wedges were not over spinning with is something I struggle with. In that aspect the ball performed exactly as I needed. Its one of the reasons I went to the V1 this year, I found the V1x spun too much on full wedges. I did however find that the ball did fish scale a bit from some full wedge shots which I hadn't seen from other balls so I'd say durability may be slightly worse.

Irons: For my game this is where I saw the biggest difference compared to other balls. The CSX was noticeably 3-5 yards longer on carry than both the V1 and V1x from my past experiences. The feel was noticeably softer off of the face but to me you could tell that it was coming off faster. To the eye it also seemed to be spinning less and I had a few iron shots directly into the wind that flew farther than expected so I believe that to be the case. I lied the feel off the face, while it was noticeable softer it wasn't as soft at previous models and I felt like I was getting the right amount of feed back i needed. In the past the ball was too soft and it was harder to tell whether it was hit solid or not. I do like the performance would just need to get used to the distances and spin.

Driver: This is where the ball really excelled vs not only the previous models but the V1 and V1x I currently play. Kid of like with the irons I didnt like the how soft the ball felt off of the face of the driver. It really just felt like a marshmallow when I hit it an rarely could I claim "that ball was hammered" becasue I just never really knew. the '18 CSX is very different, it keeps that soft feel but really feels solid and explodes off of the face when hit solid. Giving that shotgun like audible sound that tickles your loins. You know its good when your playing partners/opponents speak in awe of the sound and flight a well struck drive achieves. I hit a few drives that were close to spots I reach in the middle summer with dryer conditions. One hole specifically is a 343yd par for that's not a "dogleg" per say but more of a right angle to green at the of the fairway. There is a large lake that starts in front of the tee box and runs to just short of a green side bunker and the green is skinny and parallel to that 90 degree angle from the fairway. I generally hit 5W down inside 100yds but have hit driver before and figured I would today. The fairways runs out at about 330 and to carry the lake in a direct line at the green I'd say its ~300. I have tried a few times and come very close but never cleared the water on that line. Today I would have, I kept it left of the green down the fairway but was pin high. Shooting it back to the tee I measured 327 and the pitch mark in the fairway was 3 yards short of where I ended up. It was a little down wind and the ball was smoked but to me it was a consistent pattern I saw throughout the day. Even in the conditions this ball was as long as both the V1 and V1x when playing in the summer. You can tell its faster off of the face, I'm just hoping the numbers prove me right.

Thats basically it for my initial subjective review. I do like the ball, I just need to get used to it on the greens and the distances with my irons. I will rent some time on a launch monitor this week and do a head to head against a few other tour balls for some objective findings.
    Ping i210 4-pw PX 6.5
    '19 Srixon Z Star XV
    Jones Utility Trouper
    So I played Saturday and was able to compare the Chrome Soft (not the X) with the B330S, KSig, Tour Platinum and the Pro V1 (not the X).

Putter: I thought the CS was simply great, the closest ball was the B330S, then the ProV1...softer than the rest of the bunch, it was not clicky at all, even on missed hits it went the distance.

Short Game: on the practice area, the CS was very good, the B330S for me checked a bit better in almost every different shots I tried...bump and runs were actually impressive, my average was about 1-1.5 feet away from the hole, on pitch shots it was stopping right around the hole but it released a bit more than I was expecting, after a few shots I was able to adjust and it responded much better. On the course it performed much better, I was having a very good ball striking day, on approach shots I was spinning it back about a foot, the others were a bit more active, the B330S was spinning way too much on those, closer to 2.5-3 feet from the pitch mark, the Pro V1 was the closest to the CS here, they were almost the same where the ProV1 spun about the 2 feet at the most...in the wind the CS was almost non affected, same for the Pro V1 and the B330S, the KSig and the Nike would go a bit off line or just ballooned a bit too much ending short of target.

Irons: I really enjoyed the feel coming off the irons (I play the iBlade), it felt like a forged iron (if that makes sense), I didn't gained or lost any distance on well struck shots, I was getting my averages maybe a yard or so longer but the spin made up for it keeping it in the target zone, the ProV1 and the B330S were just as accurate where feel was the difference much softer with the CS...I am not sure if it was a bit too cold (47-52*) for the KSig and the Nike, they felt almost harsh and in turn they did not spin as well as they normally did for me during the summer or warmer months.

Driver: loved the feel and sound off the driver, long if not longer than the others, the V1 was almost the same distance, it did spin a bit more at times (saw a bit of ballooning with the V1), the B330S was not as long but very accurate, didn't go off line too bad (didn't lose any of the balls used for this comparison btw) on a hole (straight/wide Par5) that I can really go for it I teed up all of the golf balls, the Nike and the KSig were by far the longest, very straight, it hurt me because they ran through the fairway, the CS was the most accurate (all day) almost split the fairway, the V1 was about 3 yards shorter and just as accurate, the B330S was 7 yards back also in the middle of the fairway...

In closing, I think this new CS is a winner, I will get a few boxes and play it this season with it, I was very pleased with the overall performance of this golf ball, it did everything almost as good as I expected, I have a few boxes of the B330S, a box of KSigs, 2 boxes of the Nike and ProV1...I am going to do another comparison once the weather gets warmer and the ball can react to the best conditions, I also want to give the KSIg and the Nike a chance to redeem themselves, I played very well with them last summer...more to follow...
    Finally got to play 18 yesterday with the new ball. I'm impressed, so far.

Off the tee, the ball is quite long. I reached areas with the ball on the course that I haven't been in quite a while. Whenever I hit it decently, the ball went long and straight. Really didn't miss a fairway when hit solidly. I was outdriving my golfing friends, which is something that can't always be said.

On the irons, the ball replicates the same length. On the 4th hole, had a 143 yard uphill shot to a back pin. Picked out my 140 yard club, just to play a little short off the pin. Hit the shot, hit it solidly, and the ball flew to the back of the green. I wasn't disappointed in the shot, just impressed with the length of the ball. On the following hole, had a 172 yard par 3, ball went about 30 feet past. This was the theme throughout the day; the new Chrome Soft X went about half a club, if not a whole club further than the ball I normally play. On shots I didn't try smother, the ball still went as far if not further than my gamer. I'm really impressed. The added distance is something I can easily adjust to, and will do so in future rounds when gaming the ball.

For short game, the ball was also really good. On shots that required a little bit of running out, the ball performed admirably. No complaints there. On shots that required a little more check, it seemed to stop a little quicker than the Srixon XV, my gamer. I'll have to keep adjusting and testing the ball there.

As for putting, the same things I mentioned earlier still apply to this golf ball. It provided responsiveness in terms of sound throughout the day, which I like. Also was softer off the milled putter face than my normal gamer when struck well, something I really liked.

With the weather at a 72 degrees yesterday, made for a fun day. Looks like rain is forecasted throughout the rest of the week, unfortunately. Will update again when weather allows to be on the course. If there's time to do more extensive testing on the short game, will post here soon.

Ultimately, the ball is extremely high performing. I used to play the ProV1x, and I like this ball better than that. As for my gamer, I'll continue having them duke it out.
    Updated my original post with some SkyTrak data.
  • HairpieHairpie Advanced Members Posts: 2,070
    edited March 2018
    I was lucky enough to be selected for this ball test. I was given the regular chrome soft rather than the X version.

I'm now entering the part of my golfing life where my ss is dwindling which is most likely why I was selected for the non-x version. In my better days I could get to around 105-108 with the driver but have now settled into 100-102. Advancing age will do that to ya.

My number one priority in a golf ball is that I like a soft feel, especially off the putter and the wedges. I've always preferred a ball that feels like it squishes into the putter face. I think its a throwback from my tennis days in that a softer ball feels like it stays on the face longer, which gives me a feeling of more control. I LOVE the feel of the chrome soft off the wedges and putter. I solely use carbon steel putters as they feel softer to me and combined with this ball the feel was perfect. I also tried the ball with my son's stainless steel putter and the ball retained that soft feel that I like.

Spin control with the wedges is predictable with the Chrome Soft. While I wasn't sucking the ball back like I sometimes can with a B330S or a Pro Vi, the Chrome soft was more of a drop and stop which I prefer. It was reliable and predictable without having to factor in crazy backspin that I sometimes get with the aforementioned balls. Greenside chips were consistent in their rollout and I was still able to play the one hop and stop knockdown with my 52 degree from 30-40 yards which has always been my go to shot. Many other soft balls have made this shot more unpredictable for me but the Chrome Soft was consistent every time. I really like this ball around the greens.

Iron shots were a real pleasure with the Chrome Soft. Again, no crazy spin backs, consistent distances, and a nice mid-high ball flight for me. Full shots ened up within 3-5 feet of their pitch mark every time.

I did not notice any distance gain or loss in comparison to my everyday ball (B330S). Does not seem overly spinny off the driver and ball held its line very well in the wind.

Where this ball shines for me is its feel and durability. Many "soft" balls I've played seem to derive most of their softness from the cover which leads to durability issues. One of the reasons I've never really liked Pro V's is I tend to shred them easily, especially with flushed shots off a short iron. I played the Chrome Soft for 15 holes, tagged a couple of trees, bounced off 1 cart path, and thinned a couple of irons. Yet. it had nary a mark on it. If I hadn't submerged it on 16 I would have a pic to verify but suffice to say this ball is very durable. I've played Chrome Soft in the past and there definitely seems to be a drastic improvement in this area. The feel is hard to describe for me except that the ball feels soft to me from the inside out, rather than the outside/in soft feeling I get with other soft covered balls. I'm not sure if the improved durability is due to the new Graphene core but I. for one, will not hesitate to play this ball going forward. Thanks again for Golfwrx and Callway for the opportunity to test these out, Callway has a winner on their hands here....
    2016 M2/Fujikura Atmos TS Red 6S
    TEE 15* CB5/Fubuki 60R
    TM R7 TP 18.5* Epic T90S
    Ping I3 Blade 4-PW/JZ CushinS
    TM TP 52*
    TM TP ATV 56*
    TM TP ATV 60*
    Slighter Portland FPR
  • cbrwn425cbrwn425 Advanced Members Posts: 344 ✭✭
    Finally had a day of decent weather, sunny and windy which is a nice break from the amount of rain we've gotten, and some time to get out to the course to test out the new Chrome Soft over 9 holes. I did a head to head comparison with last years model.

First I started off on the practice green to get a feel for the new model off of the putter and on chips around the green. I used an Evnroll ER5 putter and an older Taylormade RAC 54* wedge for this. The most important thing for me around the green is a soft feel, this definitely delivers on that front. Felt great off the putter face, maybe a little softer than last years model but the both had a great feel. When chipping I saw very similar performance between the two models. The ball performed exactly as I expected and wasn't really surprised with the amount of roll out that I was getting. I couldn't really hit any shots with opening the club face and the grass is still somewhat bare around the practice green at my local course so I was only able do bump and run type shots.

Next I did some on course testing and this is where the new model really excelled for me. On several holes I played two balls to have a direct comparison. On the first hole I did this I played 6 iron off the tee playing into the wind. I played last years model first as I knew what to expect as far as distance and ball flight. Next it was time to hit my first shot with the new model, wow! This shot was easily 15-20 yards past the previous. I was completely blown away with the performance in the wind after one shot. Second shot I played both balls from the spot of my first shot, I had about 120 left to the center of the green. First shot again was with the previous model. Once again the new model really performed in the wind and flew about 5 yards further. I noticed on these shots that the ball flight appeared to be higher with the new model.

Next hole was a par 3 around 135 to the center of the green and the flag in the front. Very similar results here as on the previous hole. Previous model was a bit short in comparison with a slightly lower ball flight. After 2 holes I was completely sold on the new model and played it for the rest of the round. The wind continued for the rest of the round but time and time again I was impressed by how well the new ball performed.

Overall I loved the feel and performance of this ball and based on the few holes I've played with it I can highly recommend trying it out. I play on getting out again on Sunday or Monday to do some more testing and long as the weather cooperates. I will update this post with the results. I'd like to do some head to head comparison with the driver and some more mid irons. The course backed up today so I couldn't get some of that testing done.
  • HairpieHairpie Advanced Members Posts: 2,070
    So I played Saturday and was able to compare the Chrome Soft (not the X) with the B330S, KSig, Tour Platinum and the Pro V1 (not the X).

Putter: I thought the CS was simply great, the closest ball was the B330S, then the ProV1...softer than the rest of the bunch, it was not clicky at all, even on missed hits it went the distance.

Short Game: on the practice area, the CS was very good, the B330S for me checked a bit better in almost every different shots I tried...bump and runs were actually impressive, my average was about 1-1.5 feet away from the hole, on pitch shots it was stopping right around the hole but it released a bit more than I was expecting, after a few shots I was able to adjust and it responded much better. On the course it performed much better, I was having a very good ball striking day, on approach shots I was spinning it back about a foot, the others were a bit more active, the B330S was spinning way too much on those, closer to 2.5-3 feet from the pitch mark, the Pro V1 was the closest to the CS here, they were almost the same where the ProV1 spun about the 2 feet at the most...in the wind the CS was almost non affected, same for the Pro V1 and the B330S, the KSig and the Nike would go a bit off line or just ballooned a bit too much ending short of target.

Irons: I really enjoyed the feel coming off the irons (I play the iBlade), it felt like a forged iron (if that makes sense), I didn't gained or lost any distance on well struck shots, I was getting my averages maybe a yard or so longer but the spin made up for it keeping it in the target zone, the ProV1 and the B330S were just as accurate where feel was the difference much softer with the CS...I am not sure if it was a bit too cold (47-52*) for the KSig and the Nike, they felt almost harsh and in turn they did not spin as well as they normally did for me during the summer or warmer months.

Driver: loved the feel and sound off the driver, long if not longer than the others, the V1 was almost the same distance, it did spin a bit more at times (saw a bit of ballooning with the V1), the B330S was not as long but very accurate, didn't go off line too bad (didn't lose any of the balls used for this comparison btw) on a hole (straight/wide Par5) that I can really go for it I teed up all of the golf balls, the Nike and the KSig were by far the longest, very straight, it hurt me because they ran through the fairway, the CS was the most accurate (all day) almost split the fairway, the V1 was about 3 yards shorter and just as accurate, the B330S was 7 yards back also in the middle of the fairway...

In closing, I think this new CS is a winner, I will get a few boxes and play it this season with it, I was very pleased with the overall performance of this golf ball, it did everything almost as good as I expected, I have a few boxes of the B330S, a box of KSigs, 2 boxes of the Nike and ProV1...I am going to do another comparison once the weather gets warmer and the ball can react to the best conditions, I also want to give the KSIg and the Nike a chance to redeem themselves, I played very well with them last summer...more to follow...

With the B330S being my primary review I'm finding your review spot on. Though I think you said it better.
    2016 M2/Fujikura Atmos TS Red 6S
    TEE 15* CB5/Fubuki 60R
    TM R7 TP 18.5* Epic T90S
    Ping I3 Blade 4-PW/JZ CushinS
    TM TP 52*
    TM TP ATV 56*
    TM TP ATV 60*
    Slighter Portland FPR
    Played another 36 with the Chrome Soft X’s. Thursday was our clubs MGA Thursday nighr scramble, I had enough confidence to play it.

Today was our Shamrock open. Alternate shot for your first two shots, then your third in is played as a scramble. Once again, I played the CSx’s. Then afterwards I played an additional 9 holes with it. The tournament 18 was really good, however it was wet. So comparisons were not available, or not fair.

The afternoon 9 holes gave me some good comparisons....

I played the TP5x against the CSx.

I only hit two comparable drivers on one hole. The CSx was almost dead even with the TP5x.

I hit two mid irons that could be compared, the CSx was 3 yards longer on one and 2 yards longer on the other on carry distance. Spin was similar with both, with the CSx spinning a smidge more.

I hit three comparable 2 irons off of the tee, and the CSx was 2, 5, and 6 yards longer.

Short irons were a different story. I hit two dead hand knock downs with a 54. Both carried shorter and spun more than the TP5x. Carry distance was a yard one one and three yards on the second short. Both spun back from their pitch marks abot 7 feet. The TP5x wete even or a within a foot of their pitch marks.

Full wedges were worse, with the CSx the carry distance was 2 and 1 yard shorter, and they spun back 12 and 10 feet.

The CSx will be a better ball to play this summer when our greens are much former and faster.
  • spur22spur22 USAMembers Posts: 55 ✭✭
    The weather was finally nice enough to sneak in 9 holes with the 2018 Chrome Soft. The course was packed so no on course pictures today.

I'm looking forward to testing this ball more extensively and plan on doing a head to head between it, last years Chrome Soft and the Snell MTB.

Stay tuned...
    Cobra King LTD Pro 9.5*
    Cobra Bio Cell+ 18.5*
    Ping G10 24*
    Mizuno MP 32 5-PW
    Titleist SM6 52* and 58*
    Scotty Cameron Select GoLo 34"
    Snell MTB Black
    instagram.com/sharpened_development_llc
    Alright, got to play 18 with them, and tomorrow I’ll be out on the range and chipping green with them and will have my review up. So far I am very impressed with the Chrome Soft X. I went into this testing thinking I would not switch from my Pro V1s, but after tomorrow I might just be gaming a new ball..
    I played a very swampy 9-hole round today with the Chrome Soft ball. My biggest takeaway was the reliable performance in the short game. This is the area of my game that hinders me from breaking 90 on most occasions and today the spin was evident even in the wet conditions. I hit the flagstick with a 15 yard chip on hole #2. I got up and down from 15-20 feet off the green to get a par on hole #6. I left a few putts short early in my round because the CS is just so soft but later in the round, I gauged speed much better and made a couple of 8-10 footers. I was erratic with my driver today but only lost 1 ball so the CS didn't seem to have excessive sidespin. I hit my irons and fairways woods great because it was lift, clean, and place due to wet conditions. The CS was really jumping off the face of my 3 wood, a club I don't normally have much success with when hitting off the deck. Since I only played 9 holes today, I'll save judgment on the durability but I can say, the ball maintained its white color after being covered in mud on each and every hole today.
    So got out and played 18 with my buddy today. I had him try the ball out as well. Just like the previous round this ball feels great off the irons and wedges. I hit a 3h off the second tee and my back foot slipped but the ball still got up with new issues and went straight so I was happy it doesn’t spin crazy on the long clubs and spray all over the place. Unfortunately the greens had been punched and then it rained all week so putting was impossible to judge. Pulled out a tp5x which has been one of the longest tour balls of the tee and hit both to compare. Both were hit clean and landed right next to each other. This has been the biggest with the cs in the past so I can say it’s a winner. My buddy agreed and said he would game it at any time.
  • mackepamackepa #TheWRX Advanced Members Posts: 3,574 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reviews guys! I was able to get my hands on some Chrome Soft X’s a little early from my rep and I gotta say I’m enjoying them so far. It’s still a little cold here so I haven’t noticed a huge change besides with the 7-PW irons. I felt like with the old chrome soft and CSx that I would get a lot of spin in that part of the bag and my distance control was all over the place. These seem to spin less in that part of the bag but still maintain the green side spin that I’ve become accustomed to.

I’m curious to see how the ball reacts to my driver and fairway wood once I get more in season.
    [font=tahoma,geneva,sans-serif]#TheWRX 12/11/16[/font]

Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6

Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8

Apex 20* AD IZ 85

Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Proto

MD4 52s, 56s, 60x KBS $-Taper

Toulon Austin Longneck Garage

Jones Utility Rover

Chromesoft X
    Had a chance to hit on the monitor this afternoon so results to come. And believe me you do not want to miss this...
    Ping i210 4-pw PX 6.5
    '19 Srixon Z Star XV
    Jones Utility Trouper
    One thing I forgot to mention is on the durability of the ball. Pulled a shot into the green and it bounced a few times off the cart path and didn’t have a scratch on it.
    edited March 2018
    I was able sneak 9 in today after work. I don’t have a driver right now, but hit my bomber M2 3 wood 5 times and a couple off the tee with my Hybrid. I did hit the CSX against the KSIG, just like I have been demoing on the short game area several times. Again, 10 capper with a bad long game and good short game. I depend on a controllable ball around the green.

I must say the CSX feels so darn good off the tee. It’s a just a taste harder than the KSIG and seeing the same thing as my short game trials - CSX is lower trajectory than the KSIG. Off the irons it was the same, but man this thing holds its line and has less curve than the KSIG. I was just trying to get 9 in and didn’t keep score, but my guess the few holes I played two balls, I bet I scored better with the CSX maybe by a stroke or two because of less side spin (nice long run on sentence there).

So far this is a solid ball that will be my primary ball for 2018. I will review again soon when I get my driver and play a full 18.

Can't thank GOLFWRX and Callaway for this opportunity to review this ball.
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    TM MY Spider Tour Black
    edited March 2018
    OK so as promised here we go... To start off just a few tidbits. First as a disclaimer I suck... well I don’t suck I just don't hit the ball well in a sim. For whatever reason I don’t swing the same and it's always been like that. That being said all shots were hit in the same sim, so even though I don’t think them 100% represent my on course numbers it is apples to apples. Secondly it is really hard to hit 50 yard pitch shots to no target.. I did this testing on Foresight but I was hitting into a net so the only real point of reference I had to hit at was the indention in the new every time I hit. For this reason, distances are a bit on the pitches. I really had no reference point for alignment. I will say though if one had easy access to a Foresight set up in this fashion and could get to the point where they could hit shots consistently the to the same spot and same distance going strictly off of feel they would be deadly. Being able to replicate when having a target is one thing but this to me would be a game changer. So on with the numbers...

I'll start by saying all in all to me the results of my testing were somewhat surprising in that for the most part, and here is the huge kicker, ....... the ball doesn’t matter. Not at our level. Where strike is generally much more inconsistent than that of a touring professional. To me strike had much more of an impact on results than the ball did. This does not mean however one ball may or may not perform better for you than another. I think the numbers are all so similar that if you find a ball that you have 100% confidence in that will do what you expect it to do 100% of the time that would make a bigger difference than anything else. I think if you have a ball that you have confidence in you’ll simply hit better shots, whether it’s because you make a better swing, or keep better technique on a pitch or release the putter a little better on a putt. So for the second time after a rant, on with the numbers...

(For testing I compared current and prior year Pro V1's to the CSX, I know you may be thinking that’s apples to oranges but the Pro V1 is what I have been playing and I would never consider playing the CS as it is too soft)

First off I hit some ~50yd pitches. The first test was done with the new Po V1, the CSX then the previous Pro V1. Pictures are attached below but to briefly summarize the numbers, there was not a lot of difference here. Feel wise I think the current V1 actually felt softer comparatively to the other two. Backspin appears to be slightly higher with the current V1 but if you look my club head speed was up 1mph with that so I believe that was a contributing factor. Distance control seemed to be a little better with both V1's but accuracy was better with the CSX. You can see 4/5 shots were on identical lines with the CSX. It did however have the biggest gap between carry distances. Launch angle, peak height and decent angle were all negligible. I liked the feel of the current V1 here but accuracy of the CSX was nice.

Next was full 58* wedge shots. A little more of the same here. Distance were a little "better" ( distance is not a goal with my wedges) with the CSX and prior yr. V1 but club head speed was up with those as well so I would contribute it to that. Launch, peak height and decent were all basically the same. What did surprise me was the side spin here of the CSX, looking at all the numbers after the fact the CSX generally had the lowest side spin so it surprised me that it was the highest here. Once again the V1 just felt a little better to me. This is something I will get to later in my summary but the CSX just feels "plasticky" to me, almost like a toy and this is in hand and off of the club face. Once again no real difference here between any of the balls numbers wise.

Now for 7i's. Full disclosure I only tested the current V1 the last two rounds, I am battling a thumb injury which was starting to bother me and honestly I wasn’t going to play the prior version anyways. Club head speed and ball sped were identical. Launch angle was a hair lower with the CSX as was peak height but carry distance was the same. What jumped out to me was the side spin. Average was way lower with the CSX and there were a couple with the V1 that would have spun off of the planet right. So what this may tell is that on a poor strike the V1 has a higher probability to spin off target. And you can see by the "off line" column the variation of the CSX was far lower than that of the V1. Back spin was essentially the same. Up until this point I had favored the V1 based strictly on feel and the fact that the numbers weren’t that dissimilar but the degree to which the V1 spun off line with the 7i has now greatly altered my take on whether or not I would still play the V1 over the CSX.

Lastly the one everyone has been waiting for the Big Dog. Not to sound like a WRX blowhard but in all honesty number were a little below what I generally see from me, for both ball. As I mentions I am battling a thumb injury and I just wasn’t generating my normal club head speed. So club head speed was basically the same as was ball speed, maybe a tick lower with the CSX but not enough to say it was the ball or not. Launch angle was a tad lower with the CSX as was side spin and back spin, both good things. Also if you look closely, while the averages are approximately the same in most categories the CSX is more consistent with less variation. The CSX was a hair longer in both carry and total distance. Again if you look, except for an outlier with the CSX, the CSX was generally more online than the V1 and when i say generally I may dramatically ha.

So what does all this mean...? I would say looking back at all the numbers I may change my tone a little on the whole "ball doesn’t matter" front. I still think at our level confidence in what you’re playing means the most. I just think strike will play the biggest difference in actual numbers and confidence may make the biggest difference in strike if that makes sense. Find something you trust and believe that will do what you expect and your expectations will become reality. That being said I could not ignore how much more accurate the CSX seemed to be on all different shots. I do like the feel of the V1 more, to me the CSX just feels noticeably different in hand and off of the club face but it may just be something I could get used to. I don’t think I am going to see a huge uptick in distance in either ball but if one is consistently more on line than the other you'd have to assume that would make a great difference on scores. I'll have to play more with the CSX to see if it actually translates but seeing the quantitative data has at least peaked my interest in giving it its fair shot.

Hopefully I didn’t ramble on too much and you found this review if not helpful, at least entertaining. Cheers!
    Ping i210 4-pw PX 6.5
    '19 Srixon Z Star XV
    Jones Utility Trouper
    Played another round yesterday. Unfortunately, didn't have the best day out there, especially with the driver.

It did give me a lot of opportunity to test the ball out with the short game. On full shot wedges, it was drop and stop all day. Didn't really try to spin it all that much, but the ball performed exactly as I expected it too.

It was really on chipping and putting. When I needed it to run out, it did just that. When I placed the ball much higher in the air to stop it upon landing, it did just that. I was really happy with the ball's performance around the greens. Even on my mishit drives, the ball was getting out there nice and long.

As for durability, it's alright. The first 18 holes didn't seem to affect it much. It actually covered the scuffs pretty decently. Did get a good sized one around Hole 24, but nothing to complain about. Would like to see how yellow does, as the XV always hides them well. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    drvrwdge wrote:

OK so as promised here we go... To start off just a few tidbits. First as a disclaimer I suck... well I don’t suck I just don't hit the ball well in a sim. For whatever reason I don’t swing the same and it's always been like that. That being said all shots were hit in the same sim, so even though I don’t think them 100% represent my on course numbers it is apples to apples. Secondly it is really hard to hit 50 yard pitch shots to no target.. I did this testing on Foresight but I was hitting into a net so the only real point of reference I had to hit at was the indention in the new every time I hit. For this reason, distances are a bit on the pitches. I really had no reference point for alignment. I will say though if one had easy access to a Foresight set up in this fashion and could get to the point where they could hit shots consistently the to the same spot and same distance going strictly off of feel they would be deadly. Being able to replicate when having a target is one thing but this to me would be a game changer. So on with the numbers...

I'll start by saying all in all to me the results of my testing were somewhat surprising in that for the most part, and here is the huge kicker, ....... the ball doesn’t matter. Not at our level. Where strike is generally much more inconsistent than that of a touring professional. To me strike had much more of an impact on results than the ball did. This does not mean however one ball may or may not perform better for you than another. I think the numbers are all so similar that if you find a ball that you have 100% confidence in that will do what you expect it to do 100% of the time that would make a bigger difference than anything else. I think if you have a ball that you have confidence in you’ll simply hit better shots, whether it’s because you make a better swing, or keep better technique on a pitch or release the putter a little better on a putt. So for the second time after a rant, on with the numbers...

(For testing I compared current and prior year Pro V1's to the CSX, I know you may be thinking that’s apples to oranges but the Pro V1 is what I have been playing and I would never consider playing the CS as it is too soft)

First off I hit some ~50yd pitches. The first test was done with the new Po V1, the CSX then the previous Pro V1. Pictures are attached below but to briefly summarize the numbers, there was not a lot of difference here. Feel wise I think the current V1 actually felt softer comparatively to the other two. Backspin appears to be slightly higher with the current V1 but if you look my club head speed was up 1mph with that so I believe that was a contributing factor. Distance control seemed to be a little better with both V1's but accuracy was better with the CSX. You can see 4/5 shots were on identical lines with the CSX. It did however have the biggest gap between carry distances. Launch angle, peak height and decent angle were all negligible. I liked the feel of the current V1 here but accuracy of the CSX was nice.

Next was full 58* wedge shots. A little more of the same here. Distance were a little "better" ( distance is not a goal with my wedges) with the CSX and prior yr. V1 but club head speed was up with those as well so I would contribute it to that. Launch, peak height and decent were all basically the same. What did surprise me was the side spin here of the CSX, looking at all the numbers after the fact the CSX generally had the lowest side spin so it surprised me that it was the highest here. Once again the V1 just felt a little better to me. This is something I will get to later in my summary but the CSX just feels "plasticky" to me, almost like a toy and this is in hand and off of the club face. Once again no real difference here between any of the balls numbers wise.

Now for 7i's. Full disclosure I only tested the current V1 the last two rounds, I am battling a thumb injury which was starting to bother me and honestly I wasn’t going to play the prior version anyways. Club head speed and ball sped were identical. Launch angle was a hair lower with the CSX as was peak height but carry distance was the same. What jumped out to me was the side spin. Average was way lower with the CSX and there were a couple with the V1 that would have spun off of the planet right. So what this may tell is that on a poor strike the V1 has a higher probability to spin off target. And you can see by the "off line" column the variation of the CSX was far lower than that of the V1. Back spin was essentially the same. Up until this point I had favored the V1 based strictly on feel and the fact that the numbers weren’t that dissimilar but the degree to which the V1 spun off line with the 7i has now greatly altered my take on whether or not I would still play the V1 over the CSX.

Lastly the one everyone has been waiting for the Big Dog. Not to sound like a WRX blowhard but in all honesty number were a little below what I generally see from me, for both ball. As I mentions I am battling a thumb injury and I just wasn’t generating my normal club head speed. So club head speed was basically the same as was ball speed, maybe a tick lower with the CSX but not enough to say it was the ball or not. Launch angle was a tad lower with the CSX as was side spin and back spin, both good things. Also if you look closely, while the averages are approximately the same in most categories the CSX is more consistent with less variation. The CSX was a hair longer in both carry and total distance. Again if you look, except for an outlier with the CSX, the CSX was generally more online than the V1 and when i say generally I may dramatically ha.

So what does all this mean...? I would say looking back at all the numbers I may change my tone a little on the whole "ball doesn’t matter" front. I still think at our level confidence in what you’re playing means the most. I just think strike will play the biggest difference in actual numbers and confidence may make the biggest difference in strike if that makes sense. Find something you trust and believe that will do what you expect and your expectations will become reality. That being said I could not ignore how much more accurate the CSX seemed to be on all different shots. I do like the feel of the V1 more, to me the CSX just feels noticeably different in hand and off of the club face but it may just be something I could get used to. I don’t think I am going to see a huge uptick in distance in either ball but if one is consistently more on line than the other you'd have to assume that would make a great difference on scores. I'll have to play more with the CSX to see if it actually translates but seeing the quantitative data has at least peaked my interest in giving it its fair shot.

Hopefully I didn’t ramble on too much and you found this review if not helpful, at least entertaining. Cheers!

Awesome write up! Very cool showing the data and the comparison against some of the best balls in the business.

Great stuff. I think all of us reviewers agree the the ‘18 Chrome Soft is a very good ball and near the top of all premium balls out there.
    TM M2 #3 19* Fujikura
    TM M3 4 Iron Atmos
    TM P790 5-AW Modus 105
    TM MG 54*
    TM HI TOE 60*
    TM MY Spider Tour Black
    Post 3 updated after my first 18 holes with the CSX.
    edited March 2018
    I Was very happy to be selected to try out the Chrome Soft X. I tried them several times on the practice range /chipping greens as well as a few rounds since receiving these!

With Driver-

I played 9 Holes with the CS X and 9 holes with a Pro V1 (current gamer). 3 of my longest drives came with the CS X. I had a 303,306 and 312 yard drives with the CS X. It feels like the ball jumps off the face a tad bit faster than the Pro V1. It maybe all mental, but the on course results don’t lie. I also like the way that the CS X cuts through the wind. Playing in Oklahoma, a ball that can nativgate through the wind is vital.

Long Iron/Mid irons-

With the long irons, I was noticing the ball flight was a tad higher than with the pro V1, not enough to really notice a difference in how the ball would react on the green, by nonetheless less a tad higher ball flight..

Wedge/short irons -

This was my biggest focus. Since I am not very accurate with my Driver, my short game has to save me more times than not.

The CS X is a good ball around the green when it comes to consistent reactions with good shots and when chipping/pitching. I put the CS X up against the Pro V1 and Pro V1x. As well as the Bridgestone BS330 and the Taylormade TP5. The CS X does not spin as much as I would like around the green. I am use to being able to stop the Pro V1 rather quickly around the greens, and getting the ball to stop on the 2nd or 3rd hop. On the plus side, the CS X seem to release consistently when struck well, and Once I got use to the ball not stopping I was able to put the ball close to the pin more often than not.

Overall-

After having some time to test the Callaway Chrome Soft X, I would rate the ball a very solid B+. At one point I felt like It could be a gamer. The distance, consistency, durability, ball flight are all what makes this ball a very very solid ball. The spin and touch around the game is what made me stick with my Pro V1. If you’re someone who doesn’t need a ton of spin around the greens, and would prefer the ball to rollout, then this may be the ball for you.

I will continue to do on going test with the ball, to see if I notice anything different.

Thanks again to Callaway and GolfWRX for the chance to give my review on the Chrome Soft X.
  • hlcahlca Advanced Members Posts: 485 ✭✭
    In terms of the logo, I like how Bridgestone is moving to just a stylized "B". The Callaway logo looks too large and busy. Wish they would clean that up.
    Callaway X2 Hot driver 10.5* w/ Proforce V2 stiff shaft
    TaylorMade RBZ Stage 2 3W 15* w/ stock shaft
    TaylorMade Jetspeed 3H 19* w/ stock shaft
    Callaway X2 Hot 5-AW w/ Nippon NS Pro 950 stiff shaft
    Callaway MD4 S-Grind 54* 58* w/ stock shaft
    Nike Method MOD 60 putter
    I had an opportunity to play a full round with the Chrome Soft ball in extremely windy conditions yesterday and the ball really performed well. I got off to a slow start with the driver but the sidespin was not excessive with the CS. On a 170 yard par 3, my shot was straight into the wind so I hit a 4 iron with a low piercing trajectory and the CS ball took one hop on the green and stopped inside 20 feet. The final hole of the day was a 350 yd par 4- downhill, downwind and I caught all of it, what a great feeling! The CS flew off the driver, baby draw to inside 80 yds. I'm still adjusting to the soft feel of the CS on the greens as I left several putts short today. All in all, the ball performed admirably in the extreme windy conditions.