Comments

• garytgaryt  335WRX Points: 76Handicap: 12Members Posts: 335 Greens

Bump

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • AyersjjAyersjj Coast 290WRX Points: 142Members Posts: 290 Greens

SET-UP
    -Feet with the driver should be atleast shoulder width apart.

-The right foot is turned in; the left foot is flared out 45*, but keep the hips square.

-A straight back at address promotes a level, less around swing. Drill: put the club behind the ball, then look at your caddy in front of you while taking your stance, then lower the eyes to ball (gets rid of the hunched look)! Weight lifters position for posture.

-My a** should feel under me like I holding something heavy. Sticking the butt out kills the legs.

-In the grip, both hands oppose each other in a neutral position.

-The ball is a few inches inside the left heel for full shots.

-The chin should be up, and the chest high.

-The shoulders should be level at address with the left arm connected (short left arm at address).

-The left arm points down at a address, not at the target.

-The right arm should be above my left at address, not tucked under.

-Both knees are braced in at address.

-At address, the arms form a triangle with the butt end pointed at the middle of the chest bone.

-Measure to the ball at address by hovering the club just above the grass.

BACKSWING
    -On the backswing there is a loading of the weight into the inside of right foot and leg. Get the right hip to the wall, instead of moving away from the wall.

-Coil the left shoulder behind the ball. Turning the right foot in towards the target helps keeps the right leg braced.

-The left arm should be bent and feel short the entire swing.

-The thumbs both feel like they are under the shaft at the top of the swing.

-The club works straight back (not around) with no forearm rotation. The triangle formed by the arms remains intact with the butt end still pointing at the chest bone.

-No angles set or cocking of the wrists and the toe should be down at the top of the backswing.

-The left hip and left shoulder all get behind an imaginary line drawn up from the ball.

-Maintain a short left arm on the backswing (connection).

-The right shoulder works up, not around.

-The right wrist is flatter, not cupped. This helps keep the club in front of the body the entire swing.

-The left heel comes up, and the left knee points behind the ball.

-Keep the same amount of flex in my right knee from address to the top of the backswing.

DOWNSWING
    -The right side stays high at the start of the downswing. Split grip practice swings to help get this feel.

-The hips and shoulders work level through impact with the eyes releasing to the target (aka. Annika, who Jimmy thinks has the most sound swing in golf!)

-If the head stays down and still through impact, there will be a hang back in your finish...REVERSE C!

-The only cocking in the swing "feels" like it is done by the elbows, not the wrists.

-Both elbows "feel" like they point down to the ground on the backswing, downswing, and when you finish.

-The left thumb and elbow work like you're "thumbing a ride" through impact. Don't get separation between the arms, this leads to a blocked position.

-The elbows should finsih close together with a full body release. For good measure this can be exaggerated when making practice swings.

-Finish with the right shoulder where the left shoulder was. The weight should finish on the left toes, not the heel which leads to spinning out.

-The finish mirrors the backswing.

-The weight finishes on the left toes. When you go to your toe you’re not going to hook it, it will help you to swing down the line!

-In the finish, the shoulders, eyes, and hips are all level and the player should finish at full height with the club in front of the body and no weight on the right foot.

-Feel light in the right side at the finish.

November 9, 2017

-Turn my right foot in to help me load my right side back to the wall with no sway.

-Stand more with my a** under me at address.

-Feel like the right side stays high on the downswing. Make two split hand practice swings before each shot to get this feel.

-Work on feeling like I am maintaining my levels, especially on the downswing.

December 1, 2017

-Feel like I am hitting a knock down.

-Both elbows point down and spring the shaft while keeping the right side high.

December 19, 2017

-Don't let the left knee lock on the through swing, instead keep the flex in my left knee and finish with the weight on my left toe.

-Work on holding my balance until the ball lands.

-Practice with two alignment rods 6 feet in front and 2 feet apart and hit balls through them like they are a doorway. This drill gets the right side high and the upper body on top at impact and through the ball.

-Widen my stance a little more and flare my left foot out about 45*, but don't let the flared foot open my hips too much. Pinch my knees in and grip the ground with my legs.

March 14, 2018

-Let the eyes release to the target faster on the downswing.

Posted:

Hogan Apex Edge Pro pw-3i
    Taylormade Tour Preferred R510 9*
    Ping Anser

You have to “Dig it out of the dirt” find your own feels and swing within Ballards fundamentals.

The above post is from Speedster notes with Jimmy Ballard. I found them as I was looking thru notes on my phone but couldnt find them on this blog anymore. I hope it can help some folks because its all good Ballard stuff.

Happy Swinging
    Ayersjj

Posted:

Ping Anser

Posted:

Ping Anser

• ggproggpro  580WRX Points: 95Handicap: ProMembers Posts: 580 Golden Tee

On -, @Ayersjj said:

Rocco looks like he's taking a dump lol!

Posted:

hes suppose to b pinching the dime not dumping but hey hes playn the tour we arent . That is about as humanly possibly u can release a club was my first thought for he likes to sling it right

On -, @ggpro said:

On -, @Ayersjj said:

Rocco looks like he's taking a dump lol!

Posted:

Ping Anser

Advertisement
  • torbilltorbill  379WRX Points: 245Members Posts: 379 Greens

On -, @ggpro said:

JB will also do a remote swing analysis. At some point I want a remote or in-person analysis/lesson from a top-notch Ballard instructor, any one with a sharp eye. I've been digging It out on my own. This way makes me feel best about myself and I've made great progress (but it's been slow!). But at some point I am going to be out of ideas and I'll need expert help to improve.

If you want to send me a video of your swing I’d be glad to look at it

ggpro, maybe I can do you one better. Good chance that we will be passing through the SF area in mid-September and I could have you give me a lesson. What are you near?

Posted:
  • ggproggpro  580WRX Points: 95Handicap: ProMembers Posts: 580 Golden Tee

I’m in Danville, 45 minutes east of SFO

Posted:
  • garytgaryt  335WRX Points: 76Handicap: 12Members Posts: 335 Greens

So I just got a Right Angle 2. Holy cow am I inflexible! No way I can see me making a swing with this thing on even set at full!

Posted:

On -, @ggpro said:

I’m in Danville, 45 minutes east of SFO

This might work. We’ll have our plans sorted out by about the end of this month. Could you send me your location so that I can give it to my navigator?

Posted:
  • Puttersaurus RexPuttersaurus Rex one swing at a time  852WRX Points: 234Members Posts: 852 Golden Tee

After 6-7 months of practicing what I have taken from this thread, I am playing better than ever. I still have a long way to go, but it is nice to find some swing thoughts that "click" for me. Slowing down my swing, and working on tempo has also helped. I try to think of the following:

-Proper balanced stance, head up
    -Grip mostly with left pinky, and right index and thumb (for right handed). Weaker than what I typically did.
    -Elbows down, and left arm connected to torso
    -Hover ball just above ground, and imagine hitting the lower front side of the ball
    -Wide/slow takeaway, shoulder turns up and the arms form the triangle
    -Fire from ground up, then release through the target line
    -Balanced finish

I still have a long way to go, but the improvement in consistency is making this game fun again!

Posted:
    Have fun - ready golf - repair/replace divots & ball marks - FORE! as needed

Advertisement
  • connected86connected86  1WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 1 Starters

My teenaged son is just getting started with golf. I'm interested in introducing him to JB's ideas. Anyone know of any good instructors for this in the Philadelphia area?

Posted:

On -, @connected86 said:

My teenaged son is just getting started with golf. I'm interested in introducing him to JB's ideas. Anyone know of any good instructors for this in the Philadelphia area?

I would send tapes directly to JB

Posted:

Ping Anser

• dougkpga1dougkpga1  1WRX Points: 7Members Posts: 1 Starters

I met Jimmy at an Australian PGA Teaching Summit 2000. Changed my game and teaching tremendously for the last 20 years. Now also teaching my son Jimmy's way from the start.

Just wondering what happened to the youtube video of the Ballard Flick debate?

Cheers from the Gold Coast Australia

Posted:

Not sure. They come and go. Probably copyright problems. There is a good one up now, where he discusses his seven common denominators.

Posted:

Speedster has it on his youtube channel

DJ Morris

Posted:

Ping Anser

Advertisement

Keeping ur back facing target at start of downswing and letting arms drop is total crap

Posted:

Ping Anser

I noticed Butch Harmon is now taking lessons from Gankas for his pull hook with irons.

Posted:

Ping Anser

• dodgerdodger  425WRX Points: 108Members Posts: 425 Greens

thank goodness that's the reason for the lesson, I thought it was to sell magazines.

Posted:

Snipe hook

Posted:

Ping Anser

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.