Taylormade P790 or Cobra King Forged Tec Blacks

Comments

• J_BirdieJ_Birdie LOFT Issue Members Posts: 1,702 ✭✭
    Between these and the forged tours I’m really thinking of finally dropping my 1.5 year old z765s. I’ve been to every demo day this spring and only irons to make me think twice were the forged tours and Black TECs.
    What's in my bag:
    Srixon Z785 9.5* w/ Tensei Pro Orange 70TX 45.5"
    Cobra Fly-Z+ 3W w/ Aldila Tour Blue 75X 42.75"
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2i / Diamana D+ 92HY X 1* Up 18* loft
    Cobra Forged Tour 4-PW / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X 1* Up
    Cobra King Black Wedges 50* & 54* (bent to 55*) Versatile Grind / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Callaway PM Grind 2 60* Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Black with Superstroke GT 2.0 Pistol Grip 35"
  • ruffellprefleyruffellprefley Members Posts: 2,029 ✭✭
    Belmont148 wrote:

You folks that just ordered the TEC blacks, do you remember your launch, spin, and decent angle? I could not find a shaft to work and just curious what numbers you all ended up with and what shaft.

7 iron launch angle of 18-20 with about 5900 backspin with range balls
  • Belmont148Belmont148 Members Posts: 1,487 ✭✭

Belmont148 wrote:

You folks that just ordered the TEC blacks, do you remember your launch, spin, and decent angle? I could not find a shaft to work and just curious what numbers you all ended up with and what shaft.

7 iron launch angle of 18-20 with about 5900 backspin with range balls

Thanks, sounds like the Recoils worked for you. Good numbers as long as you weren’t adding loft at impact.
    Current Bag:

G400 SFT 10* Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60TS
    F8+ 4W- HZRDUS Black 75 Stiff
    Ping G25 3H and 4H Stock R Flex
    Ping I200 5-UW Project X LZ 5.5
    Glide Stealth 54SS and 58ES Project X LZ 5.5
    Scotty Studio Stainless Newport 2
    yep, 780 f4 worked for me. didn’t have to lay into it to get the distance I wanted. just a dead straight ball flight the distance I wanted
  • toddba11toddba11 Moonlight Mile Members Posts: 578 ✭✭
    If you order the 3 or 4 iron, do they come as Utility irons, or regular irons? Would that be a separate club order from the set?
    In the Bag:
    Driver - Titleist 915 D2 - Tensei White CK Pro Mitsubishi Rayon 70S, 45"
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic 13.5 Rogue 75S
    Irons: 4 - PW Callaway Apex MBs 2018 - DG TI 120 S400 +1"
    3 Cobra Iron Utility Black with KBS $120 Shaft +1"
    PW: Vokey 7M 46,52 (both F grind),60 (M grind) degree. SW: Ping I10
    Hybrid: Cobra F7
    Putter: TP Mills High Toe ONE or TP Mills Bull Elf
    Ball: Pro V or Bridgestone RSX
    Bag: 2018 Sun Mountain C-130
  • Huntingchris0000Huntingchris0000 Members Posts: 1,028 ✭✭
    I couldn’t hold out any longer! I am coming to the dark side
  • MrFlapjackMrFlapjack Members Posts: 2,597 ✭✭
    The forged tec blacks look amazing. They even appear to have some bounce on them!
    Cobra LTD Pro HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
    Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
    Srixon Z U45 18, 20, 23 () (Testing Cobra F8 and Ping G 3 hybrids)
    Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX 7-PW, and Nike Vapor Fly 4-6 irons)
    RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff) (Testing Cleveland CBX wedges 48, 52, 56 bent to 50, 54, 58)
    YES Milly - 100gm TLP. (Testing Ping Ketsch Mid)
  • roxaldroxald ClubWRX Posts: 469 ClubWRX
    MrFlapjack wrote:
    The forged tec blacks look amazing. They even appear to have some bounce on them!

They look even better when they’re in YOUR golf bag!

These will have a similar legacy as the J40 DPC’s.

Rox
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 9° with GD AD-iZ 7X<br />GBB 3-wood with Regio 70x<br />Rogue 5-wood with Aldila Green 70S<br />Srixon U65 23° with Nippon 120X<br />Cobra Forged Tec Black OL 5 & 6 and VL 7-PW $-Taper 125’s<br />Callaway Forged Black 54° and 58° PM Grind/ Nippon 115X Wedge<br />Bettinardi Stock 8<br />TP5
  • toddba11toddba11 Moonlight Mile Members Posts: 578 ✭✭
    Placing order this week, just have to make decision on shaft, gaming DG s300 1” over so want to go lighter. May try 110 Recoils......love the look of these...:
    In the Bag:
    Driver - Titleist 915 D2 - Tensei White CK Pro Mitsubishi Rayon 70S, 45"
    3 Wood: Callaway Epic 13.5 Rogue 75S
    Irons: 4 - PW Callaway Apex MBs 2018 - DG TI 120 S400 +1"
    3 Cobra Iron Utility Black with KBS $120 Shaft +1"
    PW: Vokey 7M 46,52 (both F grind),60 (M grind) degree. SW: Ping I10
    Hybrid: Cobra F7
    Putter: TP Mills High Toe ONE or TP Mills Bull Elf
    Ball: Pro V or Bridgestone RSX
    Bag: 2018 Sun Mountain C-130
  • eddiebigeddieeddiebigeddie Members Posts: 1,786 ✭✭
    So...had my first round with these Bad Boys today. I have the 6 O.L. and then 7-Gw with KBS $ Taper R+ and they just look freakin' nasty! I installed some Pro Soft inserts & new Grey Lamkin UTX to start them off right & all I can say is wow. These clubs do not disappoint at all. It was point and shoot all day & those inserts I installed made a tremendous difference. Felt like I wasn't hitting anything all day. I'm really digging these new Cobra's. Oh also, I'm pretty sure the black paint will wear perfectly for a long time. You can't even see any marks on the clubs I did hit today. Cant say enough good things about the Cobra's.
    Cobra F9...….…………………..Aldila Tour Blue 65
    Cobra F6 Baffler (17.5)…......…Project X HZRDUS Red 75
    Cobra F7 Hybrid (20.5).........….Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Mizuno JPX 919 HM (5 - Gw)…Project X LZ 6.5
    Cobra King Black (54/10)......….Project X LZ 6.5
    Taylormade Hi-Toe (60/10)........KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Adjuster (Damascus)[/background]

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Adjuster (303 Stainless-Naked)[/background]

[background=transparent]Machine M10 Fixer (303 Stainless-Torched)[/background]

Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
  • pbr2121pbr2121 Members Posts: 439 ✭✭
    Were the r+ factory installed? Your Swing speed if I may ask?
    PING Rapture V2 with BB
    PING Crossover - 3
    PING Eye 2 + Becu 3-W with DG AMT S300
    PING Eye 2 XG Sand and Lob wedges
    PING Chipo!
    PING Pal - Karsten
    Yes factory installed. My driver ss is 100-105, 6 iron 85-87

Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
  • bergies729bergies729 Members Posts: 52
    Just traded in a set of p790 with your issue s400 for a set of forged tec staper 130. Couldn't be happier cobras are way softer and go just as far.
  • roxaldroxald ClubWRX Posts: 469 ClubWRX
    edited May 10, 2018 #45
    bergies729 wrote:
    Just traded in a set of p790 with your issue s400 for a set of forged tec staper 130. Couldn't be happier cobras are way softer and go just as far.

Great decision-I tried the P790s. Yesterday vs the Tec Blacks and the 790’s had more fliers and did not feel anywhere as good as the Cobras.

The 790€™s the the KBS Tour had my 7 iron Back spin around 4000 with lots of roll(I did have a few thin hits with them tho) whereas the Tecs were 6000-6400 and more consistent distances with with yardage’s I prefer. 790s are really long for me.

Interestingly the $-Taper XS felt too firm and I think that 130 weight is too unfamiliar for me-just not accustomed to that weight anymore.... but the $-Taper S and S+ we are very similar with only 200rpm difference. Feel was the same in my hands. The surprise was the C-Taper Lites Stiff which felt similar to the $-Tapers with similar Spin #€™s but a higher ball flight by 12 feet-good option for low ball hitters.

But with no charge upgrade for the $-Tapers, why wouldn’t a guy get them.

Becoz of my Cobra Romance, I am gonna score me some PUMA shoes now.

Rox
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 9° with GD AD-iZ 7X<br />GBB 3-wood with Regio 70x<br />Rogue 5-wood with Aldila Green 70S<br />Srixon U65 23° with Nippon 120X<br />Cobra Forged Tec Black OL 5 & 6 and VL 7-PW $-Taper 125’s<br />Callaway Forged Black 54° and 58° PM Grind/ Nippon 115X Wedge<br />Bettinardi Stock 8<br />TP5
    I can’t wait for my Forged Tec Blacks to arrive
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,196 ClubWRX

So...had my first round with these Bad Boys today. I have the 6 O.L. and then 7-Gw with KBS $ Taper R+ and they just look freakin' nasty! I installed some Pro Soft inserts & new Grey Lamkin UTX to start them off right & all I can say is wow. These clubs do not disappoint at all. It was point and shoot all day & those inserts I installed made a tremendous difference. Felt like I wasn't hitting anything all day. I'm really digging these new Cobra's. Oh also, I'm pretty sure the black paint will wear perfectly for a long time. You can't even see any marks on the clubs I did hit today. Cant say enough good things about the Cobra's.

The KBS R+, often overlooked but a great option. Plenty stable and proof you don’t always need a stiff shaft even if swingspeed says so. I am same SS as you, I hit the R+ in the Tour and it flew and felt great. Congrats on the build. Sounds excellent.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
    Anyone play the King Black wedges?
    just under 2 weeks to get my set of FTB and hitting them on my sim they are exactly what I was expecting and what I got fit into. can’t wait to get them out on course. one thing I didn’t realize before was that the cobra connect is only free for a year. and to use it for a year you have to give a credit card (cancel any time, but automatically charged for year 2 once you hit that.) $50 a year. we will see how the first year goes.
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,196 ClubWRX

just under 2 weeks to get my set of FTB and hitting them on my sim they are exactly what I was expecting and what I got fit into. can’t wait to get them out on course. one thing I didn’t realize before was that the cobra connect is only free for a year. and to use it for a year you have to give a credit card (cancel any time, but automatically charged for year 2 once you hit that.) $50 a year. we will see how the first year goes.

So $25 per year for two years is not bad if it helps you. I want to know if it can measure tempo as I am also interested in Blast Motion. I have convinced myself that a consistent tempo makes a lot of problems go away.
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
    dmeeksDC wrote:

So $25 per year for two years is not bad if it helps you. I want to know if it can measure tempo as I am also interested in Blast Motion. I have convinced myself that a consistent tempo makes a lot of problems go away.

yeah, that does make it seem better I guess. i’ll prob only use it until my grips wear out. and by that time I should probably have enough of a sample size to get the gist. since i’m doing distances on sim anyway, it’ll just give me an idea of how off the launch monitor is at calculating real world vs mat
  • FmaxTurboSiFmaxTurboSi Members Posts: 159

I'll be taking out my 52 and 56 with $-taper blacks out tomorrow.

Unfortunately, my f-tec black irons with $-taper black stiff and midsize grips were sent with +1 extra wrap in the grips. So I'm waiting for cobra to send me new grips. Then I gotta get them regripped with standard tape. Super bummed I won't be able to take the entire set. Only getting to test the wedges for now.
    Ping G400 LST 10* Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 Testing:Srixon z785 9* Tensei PO 70tx and Ping G400max 9* Tensei PO 70tx
    TM M3HL Tensei PO 80tx
    X-forged 4-P C-taper 125 S+
    MD4 raw 50*s-grind, 56*c-grind KBS 610 wedge 125g
    TM Hi-toe 60* $-taper black 120
    Evnroll ER2
    Bennington QO9 Lite
    Bridgestone Tour BRX, Srixon Z star XV

Backup: Srixon z565 4-aw Modus Tour 105, Callaway Rogue 4w Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
    you can’t play with one extra wrap of tape? or did you already remove the grips?
  • Rosco1216Rosco1216 Members Posts: 2,975 ✭✭
    Anybody think the fforged tec would be a good driving iron?
    Tour Issue M3 8.5*(7.4* @ 3.4* open) - Diamana DF 70tx
    FW - who knows
    P790 UDI 17* - PX 7.0
    Miura CB 1008(4-P) - PX 7.0
    Bridgestone TourB XW1 50/55//60* - X100
    Piretti Matera 2 Limited Release

https://www.instagram.com/rc_nova
    Rosco1216 wrote:

Anybody think the fforged tec would be a good driving iron?

if you can hit an 18* (ish) iron then it’s probably as good as any. I know a lot of folks are using the p790 3 iron as a DI, so why not the comparable forged tec?

you can't play with one extra wrap of tape? or did you already remove the grips?

it's a mental thing LOL
    Ping G400 LST 10* Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 Testing:Srixon z785 9* Tensei PO 70tx and Ping G400max 9* Tensei PO 70tx
    TM M3HL Tensei PO 80tx
    Evnroll ER2
    Bennington QO9 Lite

• 1puttTUT1puttTUT Lefty with occasional game Members Posts: 3,345 ✭✭
    What's the ferrule size on the new FT blacks? I believe the old one's were 0.370 which made it annoying when looking for after market shafts.
    Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
    Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
    Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
    Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
    Mizuno 919F 66-GW w/Nippon Modus3 105s
    Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
    TP Mills Trad II roundneck
  • shiftyzshiftyz ClubWRX Posts: 36
    I'm considering the black Tec's but for those who have hit them, would you consider them high launch? I already hit the ball extremely high (compared to others) and worried about them being too high for me. I don't have the luxury of trying non oem shafts and custom ordering a set, I would probably go with the standard amt's. I'm a 5-7 handicap currently playing the jpx900 forged, which are good really. I just want a darker head and I'm also considering the black hogan ft worths. Thanks
    I would not consider them high launch. I am a low ball hitter and they launched to low for my liking
    edited May 18, 2018 #60
    I think the launch has everything to do with the shaft more so then the head. I play the Kbs $ Taper in R+ and they launch in the medium window for me and I’m not a high ball hitter more so a lower trajectory...these fit the bill perfectly and keep getting better with each round.

Bennington LQO-9
    Grint...eddiebigeddie
    edited May 19, 2018 #61

took the wedges out on the course today (52 versatile and 56 hi-low)...... and they're super solid. They play about .5" longer than standard wedges because of the connect grips with the arccos sensors and it's definitely noticeable at address. Looks like a 9 iron LOL.

Anyways. I do have to tell you that I have $-taper black 120's to match the irons I ordered. That way I have the same shafts in all my irons and wedges. The cobra's don't spin as much as my cbx wedges, but in a good way. The spin is much more consistent and manageable. My cbx's scuffed balls with anything stronger than a 3/4 swing and I felt it was too much bite. I even spun a full gap wedge pin high, back off the green. Must have spun back over 20-25 feet.

The cobra's with $-taper have a hop and stop on full swings. Exactly how my short and mid irons behave. Gave me much more confidence attacking the pin without the worry of it spinning back too far. This was my first day gaming these wedges, but I was hitting shots that looked like I had practiced with them. 10 yard chip from rough, downhill, not much green to work with, sunk it. Hit a few within 3-4 feet also. I've never been a good "blade/tour" style wedge player, so these really blew me away. I tend to chunk full wedge shots. But not once today. I will never order wedges with standard shafts again. I'm convinced that "MY GAME" is better suited with the same shafts throughout my irons.

I have a 60* TM hi-toe on order. If I don't hit it as well as these wedges, I'll be ordering another cobra wedge soon.

Cobra really got it right with these ones. So my dad will be getting a free set of used CBX's.
    TM M3HL Tensei PO 80tx
    Evnroll ER2
    Bennington QO9 Lite