Dechambeau have anyone looking at arm-lock again?

2»

Comments

• kenstlkenstl Members Posts: 422 ✭✭
    RH82 wrote:
    kenstl wrote:

RH82 wrote:

Yeah sorta but 43" is still too short for me. I would need at least a 46 or 47" armlock.

Wow, 46"! I am 6'5" and played with a 45" for a while, but have switched over to a 43" now as I felt I have been more consistent being bent over a little more.
    I'm 6'5" as well and 43" felt way too short. I was hunched over quite a bit to make it work.

Ageee, the length is the one area where I have gone back and forth on regarding my set up at the ball. My best success has come from being bent over vs standing more upright at address. I tend to get a more consistent shoulder motion in the stroke vs arm motion which for me, results in hitting my line on a more consistent basis.
    Cobra LTD Driver
    Wishon 929 4 wood
    SL Sterling Irons 5-LW
    Evnroll Arm Lock Putter
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker Members Posts: 5,187 ✭✭
    Two of my buddies just made the switch. Have to admit they are rolling it nicely.
    G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • WdwfreakWdwfreak Golf Pro - Wisconsin Members Posts: 1,022 ✭✭
    dommer wrote:

Sik makes a great looking armlock, tempting but $700 is too much.

It isn't with a steel shaft, $480.
    Taylormade M3 460 8.5 HZRDUS T1100 75X
    Titleist 915fD 3 Diamana White 80-TX
    Titleist TS2 5 Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 8TX
    TItleist AP2 718 4-6 DG X100
    Titleist 718 MBs 7-9 DG X100
    Titleist Vokey SM7s 46F DG x100, 50F, 56S, 60M DG S400
    SIK Pro-C Arm Lock 40"
  • 300_yard_drives300_yard_drives Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,182 ✭✭
    edited Dec 8, 2018 #35
    Wdwfreak wrote:

dommer wrote:

Sik makes a great looking armlock, tempting but $700 is too much.

It isn't with a steel shaft, $480.

easier to make your own and a lot cheaper especially if you like plumbers neck style like sik. the bettinardi bb1 395 gram, scotty mid sur, odyssey #1 mid and odyssey tank 1 are all 4 great putters that are easily converted into armlock style putters.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 647 ✭✭
    I'm thinking of switching to one after seeing Webb and Bryson's success this year. Kuchar always had me curious to check one out, but the increased adoption and success is hard not to notice.

The miss with my putting is always breaking the wrists very slightly in the backstroke, but then holding that angle perfectly coming through. What ends up happening is a pretty consistent ~1-2* angle open face and a push. I've tried other grips and methods and I can produce this miss with almost all of them. An arm lock style seems to be the one method that could prevent this from happening.

And I might be different to other people, I think it actually looks like a really comfortable way to putt IMO.
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • airjammerairjammer Members Posts: 980 ✭✭
    Adam and Webb have me thinking about going back. I bought a bb kuch 1 a few years back. It had its advantages and disadvantages but in the end I just didn’t care for it that much mostly because of the address position it required. The arm lock with claw really has me wanting to try again🤔
  • djallen0djallen0 Members Posts: 201
    I went from the freezing cold to Florida and last second put my Kuchar Model 2 in the bag. I putted lights out and there was no sign of a winter hangover... I think the lock just keeps me confident and stroking the ball the way I need to to drain putts.

Looking like it's going to stay in the bag for summertime, potentially with an upgrade given how great this year's Betti lineup looks.
  • tgg27tgg27 Member Members Posts: 92 ✭✭
    The new Betti arm lock feels better than the last model. I may pick one up but I am liking my SIK arm lock right now.
    My ITB changes too frequently to keep up with it here.
  • tgoodspe1991tgoodspe1991 New EnglandMembers Posts: 647 ✭✭
    tgg27 wrote:

The new Betti arm lock feels better than the last model. I may pick one up but I am liking my SIK arm lock right now.

How's the SIK armlock with the plumbers neck?
    “Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same
    time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented."
    - Arnold Palmer
  • g-offg-off Members Posts: 315 ✭✭
    just picked up a cleveland almost belly off the bay to start the experiment, should be interesting
    epic flash driver

steelhead xr heavenwood

steelhead xr 9 wood

hogan ft worth hi 22

edel sls 01 5-s

hogan tk 58

putter rotates daily

always hoing the next best thing
  • MaineMarinerMaineMariner Members Posts: 300 ✭✭
    Does anyone still make the arm lock converter grips? The ones that have the angled bore hole part so that you don't need to add loft to your putter?
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion Heavy driver, Aldila Rogue M-AX 75
    Callaway Big Bertha Fusion 3 Wood, Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Cobra King F6 Baffler, Aldila Tour Blue 85
    Srixon Z H45 4 hybrid
    Srixon Z 565 irons, 5 - AW, Nippon Modus 3 Tour 120
    Callaway MD3 Milled S Grind 54 deg.
    Callaway Mac Daddy PM Grind 58 deg.
    Odyssey Arm Lock Double Wide, Rosemark 7Teen grip
    Another question while I'm here... does Golf Galaxy ever refuse to adjust a putter's loft for fear of breaking the club? I'm thinking about giving it a go with the Cleveland Classic Belly as well, but I would need to add about 4 degrees of loft.

A while back I took a Cleveland HB putter in to adjust the lie angle and was told that they couldn't because of how the shaft was installed on those putters.
    Srixon Z H45 4 hybrid
  • RH82RH82 Members Posts: 1,986 ✭✭
    Just did a rough measurement for length and it looks like I would need a 47" long armlock putter. I'm tempted to order one but not being able to roll it makes me worried.
    Cobra King KTD Pro (9.5*)
    Titleist 917 F2 (16.5*)
    Callaway Apex (20*)
    Srixon Z785 (4-PW)
    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)
    Toulon Madison
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members Posts: 7,173 ✭✭
    My issue with armlock is that you either need to be bent over in some uncomfortable position like Kuchar or you need some ungodly long putter like BAD (and now Bubba) has that may require a lot of tinkering and tweaking. You then may need to bend your putter quite a bit and also tinker with head weight depending how heavy the grip is and how far down you grip. You then consequently end up putting quite a bit of forward press naturally into your alignment, so all else equal you may need to add quite a bit of loft, too. The way you aim then might change.... it's just introducing a lot of variables into something that's already one of the hardest parts of the game. BAD may not need to add much loft because he's got a "special" putter face design.

I didn't watch a ton of Bubba on the weekend, but he seemed to putt fairly poor. I messed with arm lock with a 38'' counter balanced Tank#7 and it went very poorly. With that much forward press I found it difficult to aim and distance control seemed a bit off. I tried it for 2 rounds and it didn't feel right for me. I'd much rather stand a bit more upright like Rickie and use my traditional blade.
    WITB
    DRIVER MIA
    LTD Kai'li 70X
    818H2 Tour Blue 85X
    P790 4i Modus 120X
    P770 5-PW KBS Tour FLT
    Glide Stealth 2.0 50/10SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 54/12SS AMT Wedge
    Glide Stealth 2.0 58/12SS Modus 125 Wedge (Hi Toe 58 KBS Wedge in test)
    TP Black Copper Juno w/ PX 7.0 Wedge
    TP5X
    Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag

edited Feb 5, 2019 12:21pm #46
    Yeah, Kuchar and BAD have very different arm locking styles that require different putters. Kuchar's barely goes up his forearm while BAD's goes basically to his elbow (which is the longest legal length).

BAD stands very upright and close to the ball and as such needs an extremely upright lie angle (76 degrees?). Kuchar's is much more standard at 71 degrees. Despite being pretty tall, Kuchar's putter is only 42 inches. I'm 5'9" and would likely use a 40 inch arm lock putter.

In either case, you're going to need to add loft and probably change the lie angle. Simply using an Odyssey Tank will not work as those are 70 degrees of lie and 3 degrees of loft. Odyssey's arm lock models are 72 and 7, respectively.
    Srixon Z H45 4 hybrid
2»