Bandon Preserve

Lefty.Golfer

I head out to Bandon in about 10 days. Just got a call last night from the resort, I guess Bandon Preserve is closed for all of February 2019. Apparently, they need to let the poa annua grass completely take over from the fescue grass that was originally planted on the greens.

I'm disappointed not to be able to golf the Preserve but we will play Old Mac instead, so I will be fine.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, that seems fast. Last time I played the Preserve (2017), the greens were all fescue and perfect. I guess that's just the nature of the (poa) beast. Shorty's will do for a short course if needed, though it won't have the views of the Preserve. You'll get a good look at what you're missing when you play Trails.

A good reason to make your plan for returning...

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Wow, that's a bummer.

I'd be surprised if it was any worse than Trails was a few years ago... And they had no problem sending people out to play.

I take my group every year over Presidents Day weekend and the Preserve is one of our highlights as we wrap up. Usually last tee time with 10-12 players in one group.

Bummer.

That is good to hear. I am sorry it is messing up some trips, but we were there a few weeks ago and the greens were just awful. Barely any grass, just sand and foot prints.

Shorty's is a great alternative. Lacking ocean views, but easier on the wallet and a good links warm up.

This. I was there in early November, and they were pretty barren. I can only imagine what they are like now.

Titleist TSr2 9 

Titleist TSr2 16.5 

Callaway Apex UW 19
TaylorMade 2023 P790 4-AW

TaylorMade MG4 54, 58
Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5
ProV1x

Typically don't play the Preserve (twice in 8 trips), but with a later morning round one day this past Thanksgiving we decided to play the Preserve and the greens were sh1t.

Obviously the Preserve isn't serious golf anyways - so it wasn't the worst thing though.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

They don't have 9-hole rates. You'll pay the full round cost, then play as many holes as you want/have daylight for. Depending on the time of year, the cost to play the Preserve is about the same as it is to play one of the big courses.

Rates here:

https://www.bandondunesgolf.com/2019-green-fees

Is it really closed???

Our group of 12 is going to be there Feb 22-25 and we still have tee times booked on the Preserve for one of our afternoons. I spoke to our guy who has it all booked under his name after I saw this thread and he said he has not received a call or anything about this. I mentioned this thread and my buddy replied with "....well we have tee times, soooooo..." lol

If in fact it is closed, I will plan on squeezing another round in. I'll bet a few others would be down but not everyone in our group. We will have played 4 of 5 rounds by the time we hit the Preserve coming off 36 the day prior, but if I am at Bandon, I am going to golf til I drop!!

Is it really closed???

Our group of 12 is going to be there Feb 22-25 and we still have tee times booked on the Preserve for one of our afternoons. I spoke to our guy who has it all booked under his name after I saw this thread and he said he has not received a call or anything about this. I mentioned this thread and my buddy replied with "....well we have tee times, soooooo..." lol

If in fact it is closed, I will plan on squeezing another round in. I'll bet a few others would be down but not everyone in our group. We will have played 4 of 5 rounds by the time we hit the Preserve coming off 36 the day prior, but if I am at Bandon, I am going to golf til I drop!!

I retract my prior question... My buddy just got the call... They gave us tee time at Trails for the price of the Preserve. 2 weeks out!!

• 2 weeks later...

I saw the greens at Preserve. Most were covered, but yikes... they didn't look good. I'll be honest and say I'm not sure a month is enough.

With that said, there were a few spots on other greens at other courses that looked real bad too (18 at Pac anyone? :WTF:).

I am happy to report that the greens at Trails are much better than in years past. Now it looks like the Punchbowl/Pac putting green is the next to suffer.

Little update...

Preserve is a maintenance error. From my understanding there is a product that is supposed to be sprayed every 15 days (I believe that is the rate but may be mistaken) and it got sprayed 3 times in 24 days. So they essentially killed 12 of the 13 greens. So what you might be seeing is the fescue dying or dead before the Poa comes in. It sounded like they made the decision to just go Poa during this transition. 2 months might be a little too enthusiastic but it is doable.

That’s what a caddie told us. Someone screwed up big time on the Preserve greens.

Punchbowl was horrible. Poa patches all over the whole area.

18th on Pacific was also not good as mention above.

Played Bandon today after 2 hours frost delay. 7:50 tee time but started at 10:10 on #10. Some greens were really soggy and had lots of spike marks and shoe prints. I think they should be ok once they dry up tho.

Looks like you got at least a little good weather this weekend, Jon!

Very curious to see the greens when we're there next month.

Thursday and Friday were a little brutal at times (crazy hail and lightning ? on Friday at Bandon), but Saturday and Sunday were great!

Enjoy your trip!

I thought all of the greens were pretty good, minus Pac and Bandon being soaked at times on the low points.

I head out to Bandon in about 10 days. Just got a call last night from the resort, I guess Bandon Preserve is closed for all of February 2019. Apparently, they need to let the poa annua grass completely take over from the fescue grass that was originally planted on the greens.

I'm disappointed not to be able to golf the Preserve but we will play Old Mac instead, so I will be fine.

That's a bummer! i'm going in March and have tee times at the Preserve our first day. Wonder if it will still be closed...

That's what a caddie told us. Someone screwed up big time on the Preserve greens.

Punchbowl was horrible. Poa patches all over the whole area.

18th on Pacific was also not good as mention above.

Played Bandon today after 2 hours frost delay. 7:50 tee time but started at 10:10 on #10. Some greens were really soggy and had lots of spike marks and shoe prints. I think they should be ok once they dry up tho.

Frost delay...bummer. Were you planning on doing 2 rounds that day?

Damnit! Just got the call about having to cancel our round at the Preserve since the greens are still not ready. My group had a round scheduled there March 16th and I was told they decided to keep the course closed for a few weeks into March so it isn't going to work out. I'm bummed because this is most likely my only Bandon trip so I wanted to play every course and I really was looking forward to ending my trip with a 100 yard putt off the tee!

Damnit! Just got the call about having to cancel our round at the Preserve since the greens are still not ready. My group had a round scheduled there March 16th and I was told they decided to keep the course closed for a few weeks into March so it isn't going to work out. I'm bummed because this is most likely my only Bandon trip so I wanted to play every course and I really was looking forward to ending my trip with a 100 yard putt off the tee!

Heh.... we'll check in with you after you get home and see if this is still the prevailing notion.

• 2 weeks later...

Heading down next week, as well. One of our group just got a call that said the Preserve will be closed all of March

They don't have a "Current News" section on their site, which is something I suggest to them all the time. It's hard to know about stuff going on there.