Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

USKG yardages

124»

Comments

• kcapkcap Members Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

It does not appear that the yardages changed much for 12 yr old boys (current age). For us the current reduction in yardages as a 10yr would have been very useful. I always thought the previous jump from 9 to 10 was too great, so this make sense.

Yardages tell 50% of the story..course set up and conditions are the rest. I hate playing the spring tour in the NE with the ground soaked from the winter and plugged drives.. but you still need to score low despite the course playing much longer.

It becomes a lot hard to qualify especially for boys 10-11 and 12. I believe only Burgundy status boys got invites in age 11 and 12 that equates to a 10 or 11 under the US kids scale!!
    Fortunately — we don’t need to chase that but have other bigger issues .. how to navigate the AJGA in two years!!

• CTgolfCTgolf Members Posts: 501 ✭✭✭✭✭

@leezer99 said:

@CTgolf said:
    The top players parents that chase rankings don’t play Local events (exempt via top finishes in Regionals, States or Worlds).

I don't really understand your comment - US Kids Local Tour events have nothing to do with rankings.

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@CTgolf said:

@leezer99 said:

@CTgolf said:
    The top players parents that chase rankings don’t play Local events (exempt via top finishes in Regionals, States or Worlds).

I don't really understand your comment - US Kids Local Tour events have nothing to do with rankings.

Right, US Kids Locals are not ranked so not many kids that are chasing rankings play in them.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

@leezer99 said:

@CTgolf said:

@leezer99 said:

@CTgolf said:

Right, US Kids Locals are not ranked so not many kids that are chasing rankings play in them.

Oh I see what you mean. I think it's more that playing in a Local Tour event that you are expected to (and probably will) win by 10 or more shots does more harm than good.

• AUSweeperAUSweeper Members Posts: 46 ✭✭

The problem I see with the new priority system is that you won’t really know if you qualify for Worlds until you get the invitation in February or later. Previously, you win the season and get the scores and you can plan on going.

• darter79darter79 Members Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭✭

@AUSweeper said:
    The problem I see with the new priority system is that you won’t really know if you qualify for Worlds until you get the invitation in February or later. Previously, you win the season and get the scores and you can plan on going.

If you look at how they are doing invitations based on the holiday classic you can get a good idea. But if you shoot 72 twice or (36) then I think you're a lock. But I do agree no one really knows how they plan on doing world invitations until they do them next year, but I do think more people will get invited next year than before.

• kcapkcap Members Posts: 186 ✭✭✭

@darter79 said:

@AUSweeper said:

If you look at how they are doing invitations based on the holiday classic you can get a good idea. But if you shoot 72 twice or (36) then I think you're a lock. But I do agree no one really knows how they plan on doing world invitations until they do them next year, but I do think more people will get invited next year than before.

The same number of people will get invited- they will not change given the field size. The mix will change. You will see more golfers from Florida and Texas in the field. These kids shoot low but came second or third in a stacked field. Similarly.. “status chaser” that drive log distance to play a weak field and barely break 80 will not get an invite!!

• Pinewood GolferPinewood Golfer Members Posts: 150 ✭✭✭

@darter79 said:

@AUSweeper said:

If you call them they will tell you what they anticipate. For 18 hole/day boys their expectation is level 10. For younger and female it’s lower. This isn’t complicated.

• darter79darter79 Members Posts: 737 ✭✭✭✭✭

@kcap might not change the filed size but could change the quality of the field. As someone from Texas I can say there are a lot of golfers especially in the boy's fields who get left out due the win and you're in now that all changes.

@Pinewood Golfer haven't called because she has "11" and well she is a she and it doesn't take much as well all know for girls to get in. Just have any status a girl you you get invited unless your 10 or 12.

@Pinewood Golfer said:

@darter79 said:

@AUSweeper said:

If you call them they will tell you what they anticipate. For 18 hole/day boys their expectation is level 10. For younger and female it’s lower. This isn’t complicated.

Level 10 sounds about right. Shooting 76 or 38 2x seems very achievable by a lot of players.

• kekoakekoa ClubWRX Posts: 9,115 ClubWRX

My son played his first us kids tournament in the 9's with new yardages and it definitely feels short. Also depends on course conditions etc. I actually feel like the yardages really give the shorter kids a leg up as they will have fuller shots into each hole. Hitting a 200 yard drive has very little advantage if you can't get those feel shots from 15-30 yards close. Long drives also really opens you up to greenside bunkers.

• heavy_hitterheavy_hitter Members Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kekoa said:
    My son played his first us kids tournament in the 9's with new yardages and it definitely feels short. Also depends on course conditions etc. I actually feel like the yardages really give the shorter kids a leg up as they will have fuller shots into each hole. Hitting a 200 yard drive has very little advantage if you can't get those feel shots from 15-30 yards close. Long drives also really opens you up to greenside bunkers.

Would he have shot as low as he did with the distances being longer?

"Course is too short to score low!"

@heavy_hitter said:

@kekoa said:

Would he have shot as low as he did with the distances being longer?

Depends how much longer. He played two days and on the first day a few par 4's he was on the fringe after the drive and par 5's he had PW on approach shots. -5 the first day and that was with a par on the last hole (par 5) from 70 yards in. Day two the course felt like it played a tad longer due to shaggy fwys. Also a lot of greenside bunkers and scored a -2. I do think my son is better from 75-90 yards than he is from 15-30. Need to work on this.

• BloctonGolf11BloctonGolf11 Members Posts: 374 ✭✭✭✭

My son decided to not play USKids this season (turns out that may have been a poor decision on his part with the bumped down yardages but eh not worried about it) and looking at the distances adjusted for 9 year olds many of those holes are indeed crazy short. The longest par 4 on the tour we normally play on Saturday's stop was 220....my son is not a long hitter by any means and he would be going at most driver wedge on the par 4s. However, I am not seeing the scores plummeting to just a massive amount of kids breaking par in local tours. Same suspects breaking par as last year.

Just a father and son on a journey together through golf....

@BloctonGolf11 said:
    My son decided to not play USKids this season (turns out that may have been a poor decision on his part with the bumped down yardages but eh not worried about it) and looking at the distances adjusted for 9 year olds many of those holes are indeed crazy short. The longest par 4 on the tour we normally play on Saturday's stop was 220....my son is not a long hitter by any means and he would be going at most driver wedge on the par 4s. However, I am not seeing the scores plummeting to just a massive amount of kids breaking par in local tours. Same suspects breaking par as last year.

Yah, one kid shot -6 on us yesterday. Saw him in the group ahead and every putt was dropping. quite impressive.

• leezer99leezer99 I swear I am quitting this site every day... Members Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@kekoa said:

@BloctonGolf11 said:

Yah, one kid shot -6 on us yesterday. Saw him in the group ahead and every putt was dropping. quite impressive.

It was because mom was on the bag.

There's definitely something more important that I should be doing.

• Kcct82Kcct82 Members Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

Jumping from 1100 to 1500 yards yesterday was interesting. First time seeing a fairway bunker and my kid went straight for it lol. As of now, I think he has the ability to shoot under 40, but probably can’t break par yet.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file