Best sunglasses for green reading

PingEye2PingEye2 Members Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Opinions wanted on the best sunglasses to improve visualization of slopes on the green. My first inclination is the Oakley Prism lens but just wondering if there could be a better option?

Comments

• Brick TamlandBrick Tamland Members Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭

I got the Tech One Pro with Rose non-polarized lenses from Electric California this season and I think they are excellent for enhancing contrast and seeing slopes better. They fit great, light and comfortable with no slipping, and they wrap around enough for full coverage. Highly recommended.
    https://www.electriccalifornia.com/products/tech-one-pro-sunglass-ee16201042?variant=28548561862721

Cobra Fly-Z+, Matrix VLCT
    Cobra Fly-Z+ 3 Wood, Matrix VLCT
    Nike VR Pro 3-4 Hybrids, PX6.0
    Nike Covert Forged 5-AW, DG Pro S300
    Nike Forged Black, 54/60
    Scotty GoLo
  • PingEye2PingEye2 Members Posts: 835 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thank you, a new brand to me!

• bfizzybfizzy San DiegoMembers Posts: 229 ✭✭✭

I have the Knoxville XL Sport with the same Rose non polarized lenses and they are awesome

TM M5 9.0* - Accra TZ6 M5 65
    TM M5 15* - Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70tx
    Titleist 816 H2 19* - Tensei Pro White 90tx
     TM P790 UDI 17* - Tensei Pro White 100 TX
    TM P790 3 Iron - KBS $-Taper X
    Miura MC 501 4-PW - KBS $-Taper X
    Taylormade MG 51* / 55* DG TI S400
    Taylormade Hi Toe 60* Fujikura MCI Wedge Graphite 
    Putter: Tyson Lamb Allendale
  • Brick TamlandBrick Tamland Members Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭

@PingEye2 said:
    Thank you, a new brand to me!

No problem, I found Electric California on this very forum actually. I'm sure the Oakley's work great, but the look is not for me. I know the Knoxville line @bfizzy mentioned are really popular as well, but I like the bottom half to be frameless so nothing obstructs your view when you're looking down at the ball.

Cobra Fly-Z+, Matrix VLCT
    Cobra Fly-Z+ 3 Wood, Matrix VLCT
    Nike VR Pro 3-4 Hybrids, PX6.0
    Nike Covert Forged 5-AW, DG Pro S300
    Nike Forged Black, 54/60
    Scotty GoLo
  • davep043davep043 Members Posts: 3,389 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

learn aimpoint, and you really won't need great sunglasses.

• jaw2k9jaw2k9 Members Posts: 379 ✭✭✭✭

@PingEye2 said:
    Opinions wanted on the best sunglasses to improve visualization of slopes on the green. My first inclination is the Oakley Prism lens but just wondering if there could be a better option?

I clearly don't know which is best, but after years of wearing green and grey prescription lenses, I finally tried brown - and the difference was amazing. I could see things with brown that frankly were not visible to me with grey (and green was so long ago that I just don't recall).

If you are doing a prescription - I suggest you consider brown lenses, the golf world is no longer flat for me!

• NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,711 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Cross posting = bad

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,801 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Since 2014 Oakley Jupiter Squared with G30 (Pink) prescription lenses, G30 is for reading greens.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 6.0
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, Diamana Blueboard 83 x5ct,"S"
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-9i, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB PW, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1x

• Notorious22Notorious22 Members Posts: 22 ✭✭

Came across ShadyRays on instagram. Best low budget brand I have found and can see great while playing. Electric golf would be my second recommendation

WITB:
    Driver-Mizuno St190g FUJI VENTUS 7x Tip 1 inch at 45
    3 wood: Mizuno st190 Adiz 8x tipped 1.5
    5wood: Mizuno st190 Adiz 8x tipped 2
    Irons: Mizuno JPX919 tour 4-pw. Kbs ctaper 130x ( probably going x100 hs soon or nippon 130x)
    Wedges: Cleveland TI 588 RTX 50,56,60 s400
    Putter: Mannkrafted custom Ma66

• simonndsimonnd Members Posts: 36 ✭✭

I'm very happy with my Oakley Flak Jacket with G30 lenses. I can easily replace the lenses if I want to.

• Djuga06Djuga06 D.J. Members Posts: 493 ✭✭✭✭

I've always worn golf sunglasses but equally always took them off to read greens. This year I've actually switched contacts to the new acuvue transitions and haven't worn glasses at all. Love the difference!

• bigred90gtbigred90gt Lefty Boomers Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Djuga06 said:
    I've always worn golf sunglasses but equally always took them off to read greens. This year I've actually switched contacts to the new acuvue transitions and haven't worn glasses at all. Love the difference!

I just bought some new prescription glasses and sunglasses last week, and am going to day for a contact fitting. I checked those out yesterday when I read your post and am thinking about seeing if I can get some as a trial. My only concern is they wont get dark enough. My regular glasses are transitions, and they don't get anywhere near dark enough for me. I have a pair of dark polarized sunglasses with black mirror tint (oakley frames with TSO lenses) coming as well. My eyes are extremely sensitive to light. Even with my transitions at full "dark", on a sunny day my eyes will still burn and start to water. If I don't cover them up with sunglasses quick enough, they start aching pretty quick.

For the topic at hand, I always wear the darkest polarized lens I can find. I tried the G30 lenses, and after my first day wearing them, I went back and bought some black iridium polarized lenses to replace them. They just aren't dark enough. I've never had a problem seeing contours on the greens through polarized lenses, so I don't understand when people make that comment.

• 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 9, 2019 5:45pm #15

Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag

@bigred90gt said:

@Djuga06 said:

I just bought some new prescription glasses and sunglasses last week, and am going to day for a contact fitting. I checked those out yesterday when I read your post and am thinking about seeing if I can get some as a trial. My only concern is they wont get dark enough. My regular glasses are transitions, and they don't get anywhere near dark enough for me. I have a pair of dark polarized sunglasses with black mirror tint (oakley frames with TSO lenses) coming as well. My eyes are extremely sensitive to light. Even with my transitions at full "dark", on a sunny day my eyes will still burn and start to water. If I don't cover them up with sunglasses quick enough, they start aching pretty quick.

For the topic at hand, I always wear the darkest polarized lens I can find. I tried the G30 lenses, and after my first day wearing them, I went back and bought some black iridium polarized lenses to replace them. They just aren't dark enough. I've never had a problem seeing contours on the greens through polarized lenses, so I don't understand when people make that comment.

I will tell you it’s a weird feeling when you first put them on bc the world just seems a little different, sunlight doesn’t feel as bright but it’s a mind-screw bc you’re not wearing sunglasses. It’s something that will only make sense when you try them. They do still recommend sunglasses but I found with my TaylorMade flat brim they worked just fine.

@Djuga06 said:

@bigred90gt said:

@Djuga06 said:

I will tell you it’s a weird feeling when you first put them on bc the world just seems a little different, sunlight doesn’t feel as bright but it’s a mind-screw bc you’re not wearing sunglasses. It’s something that will only make sense when you try them. They do still recommend sunglasses but I found with my TaylorMade flat brim they worked just fine.

I talked to my optometrist and he said He only had them available as samples in - prescriptions. I am a +1.25. He has a meeting with the rep this week and is going to check and see if they have them.

• efdufferefduffer Members Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

@bigred90gt said:

@Djuga06 said:

I discovered the transition contacts this year after having transition glasses. The idea intrigued me, so I got a trial pair. Ended up getting a year's supply I liked them so much. I assumed they would be thicker due to the transition feature, but they are among the thinnest and most comfortable lenses I've ever had. I would still recommend sunglasses while wearing them, it doesn't take care of everything. Also, you'll need sunglasses while driving. Auto glass filters out the UV that triggers the effect, just like with transition glasses.

The best way to describe the transition effect while wearing them is to think about when you were outside for the big solar eclipse a couple of years ago. It's like that. Fully lit, but dimmer. I could never get in front of a mirror while they were darkened, so I didn't know what they looked like on me. Kinda freaked my wife out the first time she saw them like that. I have blue eyes, but all she saw was a giant black iris.

Titleist 909D Comp 9.5
    Titleist AP3
    Vokey SM5 52/56/60
    Mizuno Bettinardi C06h
  • Jimmy MacJimmy Mac Members Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Pretty much any high-quality, lightly rose-tinted, non-polarized, lens will do.
    High quality = less distortion
    Light tint = More constricted pupils = better depth perception than dark tints.
    Rose color = Maximizes contrast in green-colored items
    Non-polarized = Glare on green is visible, you want it to see variations in direction of grain.
    As long as you have those, the brand doens't really matter. Pick a style you look good and have confidence in. I like Oakley G30 myself.

@efduffer said:

@bigred90gt said:

@Djuga06 said:

I discovered the transition contacts this year after having transition glasses. The idea intrigued me, so I got a trial pair. Ended up getting a year's supply I liked them so much. I assumed they would be thicker due to the transition feature, but they are among the thinnest and most comfortable lenses I've ever had. I would still recommend sunglasses while wearing them, it doesn't take care of everything. Also, you'll need sunglasses while driving. Auto glass filters out the UV that triggers the effect, just like with transition glasses.

The best way to describe the transition effect while wearing them is to think about when you were outside for the big solar eclipse a couple of years ago. It's like that. Fully lit, but dimmer. I could never get in front of a mirror while they were darkened, so I didn't know what they looked like on me. Kinda freaked my wife out the first time she saw them like that. I have blue eyes, but all she saw was a giant black iris.

You probably looked like one of the walkers from The Walking Dead. That’s the only problem for people with very light eyes. I on the other hand have crap brown so you can’t really even tell a difference lol. Great analogy though! They are super.

@2putttom said:

Which model are these? Smiths?

edited Jul 26, 2019 1:32pm #22

@efduffer said:

@bigred90gt said:

@Djuga06 said:

I have transitions glasses, and they don's get near dark enough.

I got a trial pair of transitions contacts and wore them yesterday. By lunch time, I had taken them out and thrown them in the garbage. They just do not work with my eyes. So far, the only contacts I have been able to keep in have been Acuvue Oasys with Hydroluxe. Any other contacts (even the Acuvue Oasys Transitions) feel like I have sand in my eyes from the word go, and they start to dry out (I'm guessing) and haze up/fog over after varying amounts of time. Some may be 20-30 minutes, some may be 2-3 hours. The Transitions contacts starting glazing over after about 2 hours, and nothing I did (including rewetting drops) helped. I eventually just took them out and threw them away. I did test them out outside in the sun for a bit, and they did absolutely nothing for me in that regards. I guess I'll stick to what works for me. Great concept though.

• mbbrewermbbrewer Members Posts: 988 ✭✭✭✭✭

Oakley Field lenses have been my favorite. Really enhances the slope as well as the differences in grain.

• Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,394 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Smith polarchromic chromapop

Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    MacGregor PCB Tour Tourney 5-PW
    Mizuno MP R 52* 56*
    Odyssey White Hot #6
  • Ski5280Ski5280 Denver, COMembers Posts: 38 ✭✭

I prefer Oakley Prizm’s on the course. However, I almost always take off my sunglasses to read the green. I feel I get a better look at it that way. If you need Rx glasses and have to keep them on all the time though, give the Oakley’s a try. I’m pretty sure you can get them in Rx.

• 2putttom2putttom # 1 Oregon Duck fan Members Posts: 10,077 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@PingEye2 said:

@2putttom said:

Which model are these? Smiths?

Parallel D- Max Polarized.

Tour Exotics E 10 15*
    Srixon 785's w/G P MCC plus 4
    Mizuno T 7 52 MP T7 56 &60
    Bobby Grace [font=comic sans ms,cursive]SNYPER [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]II [/font][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]46"[/font][/font]
    Oregon Ducks Bag
  • SkeoughSkeough Flip it! Flip it! Members Posts: 102 ✭✭✭

+1 for Oakley Prism Golf. Picked up the golf and dark golf. Really enjoy the dark golf for super sunny days, don't get me wrong, they're great but the regular prism golf is amazing. Had the G30 lens before and its a huge improvement.

PGA of Canada Class A -> BC
    Callaway Epic Flash 10.5* -> HZRDDUS Black Smoke 6.5 & Tour AD BB 7X
    Callaway Epic Flash 18* HZRDUS Black Smoke 6.5
    Callaway X Forged UT 18* -> DG TI X100
    Callaway Apex MB 6-PW/ X Forged 4/5 -> DG TI X100
    Callaway MD4 50S/56X/60C -> DG IT S400
    Toulon Design San Diago
    Chrome Soft X
  • St JimmySt Jimmy Members Posts: 448 ✭✭✭✭

@Jimmy Mac said:
    Non-polarized = Glare on green is visible, you want it to see variations in direction of grain.
    As long as you have those, the brand doens't really matter. Pick a style you look good and have confidence in. I like Oakley G30 myself.

I should've read this thread last week.
    I just bought dark, blue tinted, polarized RX sunglasses for golf.
    Whoops.

Ping G400
    Ping G SFT 5W
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 3 iron
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura Y Grind 51
    Miura K Grind 56
    Scotty Golo 3
  • greenj20greenj20 Detroit, MIMembers Posts: 63 ✭✭

Take a look at Nike golf. They have a specific line on lenses for green reading. Paul Casey wears them regularly.

Driver: Cobra King F7
    3Wood: Taylormade M2 (2017) HL
    Hybrids: F8 One Length 5H, Ping G25 23*, 20*
    Irons: FMAX One Length PW-6
    Wedges: FMAX One Length GW, SW
    Putter: SC Newport 2 Custom -or- O works #7 Black
    Bag: Sun Mountain Phantom Cart
    Ball: Pro V1 Yellow, Vice Pro+ Lime
  • greenj20greenj20 Detroit, MIMembers Posts: 63 ✭✭
    Driver: Cobra King F7
    3Wood: Taylormade M2 (2017) HL
    Hybrids: F8 One Length 5H, Ping G25 23*, 20*
    Irons: FMAX One Length PW-6
    Wedges: FMAX One Length GW, SW
    Putter: SC Newport 2 Custom -or- O works #7 Black
    Bag: Sun Mountain Phantom Cart
    Ball: Pro V1 Yellow, Vice Pro+ Lime
  • CougarRedCougarRed Southeast TexasMembers Posts: 95 ✭✭✭

@Jimmy Mac said:

Great post. I've always like Sundog for basic, non-polarized golf sunglasses. They have models with amber/brown (bright days) and rose-colored (cloudy day) lenses. I prefer the styles with open frame at the bottom of the lens. They run sales pretty often.

Love the Maui Jim rose lenses, but those are all polarized which can affect depth perception and grain reading.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file