Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Does TSA allow checking in sunday bags vs. a golf travel bag?

Title explains it all, but was curious if they allow sunday bags (with a cover, of course) like in the below link, to be checked in for domestic air travel?

https://www.amazon.com/CaddyDaddy-Ranger-Sunday-Travel-Silver/dp/B01M1BO2HE/ref=as_li_ss_il?ie=UTF8&qid=1542049399&sr=8-28-spons&keywords=best+sunday+golf+bag&psc=1&linkCode=li3&tag=sport0a0d-20&linkId=dc6ab62ae17c65d70398a339583f844d&language=en_US

Was going to only take < 10 clubs and detach my driver head (and store separately in my carry on) with the shaft in the bag.

anyone try this?

Comments

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 11,452 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

TSA will allow pretty much however you want to pack your clubs. Not sure if the airline will accept them like that but if so they aren't going to pay when they get damaged.

The question is whether that setup will survive being bashed in the side by automated baggage handling machinery, tossed 10-15 feet from a baggage cart onto the conveyor going up into the plane or having a bunch of 40-pound suitcases piled on top of it. I wouldn't trust a flimsy bag like that to make it through the system with clubs intact, seems like an extreme long-shot at best.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,405 ClubWRX

By the time you figure in the cost of the clubs you'll have to rent after that gets destroyed you would be money ahead to get a travel bag for your regular bag (unless you've got some gigantic cart bag, then bite the bullet and get a smaller actual golf bag as well).

• thebogeyputtthebogeyputt NYCMembers Posts: 68 ✭✭

@Hawkeye77 said:
    By the time you figure in the cost of the clubs you'll have to rent after that gets destroyed you would be money ahead to get a travel bag for your regular bag (unless you've got some gigantic cart bag, then bite the bullet and get a smaller actual golf bag as well).

I have the Sun Mountain Club Glider, which is awesome, but a bit bulky. Would be nice if I had a slimmer golf travel bag. Looked into Club Glove's Collegiate, but the size dimensions suggest it would be similar to the SM Club Glider. Any suggestions?

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

SKB makes a hard sunday case if you want to go with 8 clubs.

https://www.skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=16&pid=106

Barring that, their smallest full size case will hold any carry bag and is probably smaller than your Sun Mountain.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• Schley Schley Love ya don't tell ya enough! Kingdom of Saudi ArabiaMembers Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@thebogeyputt said:

@Hawkeye77 said:

I have the Sun Mountain Club Glider, which is awesome, but a bit bulky. Would be nice if I had a slimmer golf travel bag. Looked into Club Glove's Collegiate, but the size dimensions suggest it would be similar to the SM Club Glider. Any suggestions?

I just got the SM glider this summer and really love it. I see the padding at the top as a bonus and insurance on club protection. Very happy with it. As a matter of fact the only issue I see is that it moves so smoothly and needs to have some sort of wheel brake as it needs to be against something or held in place for the gliding happens so easily.

• PepperturboPepperturbo Midwest and SouthwestMembers Posts: 15,924 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I am sure TSA doesn't care what bag you chose as long as it meets their minimum requirements. Just make sure the bag you use can handle abuse, as they get thrown around a great deal. I travel a great deal with my clubs securely in an eight-year-old Club Glove bag. NO way I would simply use an attached golf bag cover. I intertwine a beach towel around driver & 3wd graphite shafts and use a stiff arm with a cap placed in the middle of the bag to ensure my investment is protected.

• Titleist TS2 9.5, PX HZRDUS Red 65
    • Titleist 917D2 15*, PX HZRDUS Red 75
    • Titleist 716T-MB 17* 2 iron, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • Titleist 716CB 3i-PW, Steelfiber i95cw "S"
    • SM6 F-52*, Steelfiber i110cw "S"
    • SM6 M-58*, DG-S200
    • SC California Monterey
    • ProV1

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

I forgot to post this in my original reply. I have an SKB hard case that has been with me for over 10 years and a lot of travel.

The baggage handlers have managed to break the wheel off the case twice, replaced no charge with the lifetime warranty, but I've never had a club damaged while it's in the case.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• bluetees1999bluetees1999 OhioMembers Posts: 123 ✭✭✭

@jvincent said:
    SKB makes a hard sunday case if you want to go with 8 clubs.

https://www.skbcases.com/sports/sku.php?cat=16&pid=106

Barring that, their smallest full size case will hold any carry bag and is probably smaller than your Sun Mountain.

I used this SKB case this weekend and it did fine. It seems like it will hold up for the long haul.
    As far as checking it, on my outbound flight it ended up at the destination airport baggage office just like a full set bag. On my return, it was on the carousel with all the rest of the luggage. No idea why the difference.

• medicoreMAgolfermedicoreMAgolfer Members Posts: 257 ✭✭✭✭

I’ve checked in a Sunday bag with a rain cover. I took the driver head off but had my 3 wood relatively exposed. Smaller prop plane so I felt more safe than I would have otherwise

• Hawkeye77Hawkeye77 Countdown to The Open Championship! IowaClubWRX Posts: 18,405 ClubWRX

@thebogeyputt said:

@Hawkeye77 said:

We have the Collegiates - so can’t address any other type, and not sure why bulky matters but I’m sure there are good reasons. Once we got the rental car, the clubs came out and the travel bags folded nicely in half - really didn’t deal with the full travel bag at all except from the car to baggage check in and from baggage claim to car. Can’t imagine taking a trip to any dream golf location and not having all my usual clubs, but everyone is different.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file