Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Pebble beach: forecaddie vs caddie

I’m playing pebble and spy glass in about a month. Does anyone know the difference between the forecaddie and caddie? Does the forecaddie help with yardage and green reading? Do they ride in a cart while you walk? Would you recommend one vs the other? Thanks!

Comments

• Hack DaddyHack Daddy Members Posts: 947 ✭✭✭✭✭

In my experience- the forecaddy isn't going to shuttle clubs. They will typically give you course knowledge, then head out to your landing zone to help spot your ball. Rinse and repeat until you get to the green, where they will help you read.

Caddy will carry your clubs and walk with you.

Ping G400 9.5 Aldilla Tour Blue 75g
    Adams Tight Lies Tour 3W 14.5 Aldilla Tour Blue
    Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Nike VR 54/58 Nippon Pro Modus 105
    Rife Two Bar Center Shaft
    TP5X
  • J_BirdieJ_Birdie LOFT Issue Members Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Forecaddie stays ahead and watches for balls ahead. You carry / ride with your clubs. They walk. They give you reads and some yardages.

Caddies carry your clubs and will also go ahead like a forecaddie on holes that really need it. They give you reads and all the yardages and seemed a lot more engaged in giving you good club advice.

That is my experience using caddies vs forecaddies.

What's in my bag:
    Cobra F9 Avalance 9* w/ Fujikura ATMOS Black Tour Spec 6X 45"
    Cobra F9 Tour 3W w/ Fujikura ATMOS Black Tour Spec 7X 42.5"
    Taylormade P790 UDI 2i / Diamana D+ 92HY X 1* Up 18* loft
    Cobra Forged Tour 4-PW / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X 1* Up
    Cobra King Black Wedges 50* & 54* (bent to 55*) Versatile Grind / Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Callaway PM Grind 2 60* Nippon NS Pro Modus 120X
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Black with Superstroke GT 2.0 Pistol Grip 35"
  • az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Get a caddie. Forecaddie is a waste.

• vinprun71vinprun71 ConnecticutMembers Posts: 113 ✭✭✭
    edited Sep 4, 2019 12:44pm #5

Caddie: Carries your bag, gives you clubs, calls your yardages, rakes bunkers, fills divots, and helps you read greens
    Forecaddie: Spots your tee shots from off the fairway, calls your yardages, rakes bunkers, fills divots, helps you read greens

Forecaddies are obviously cheaper, as they aren't hauling your clubs and pulling them for you. If you're going on a once in a life time trip for example, I'd just go all in on a caddie. It'll really make the experience. I don't see much value in forecaddies. Caddies are used more frequently than forecaddies at our club.

TaylorMade R15 460cc (10.5)
    Callaway FT 3 Wood (15)
    Cobra F9 Speedback 4 Iron (18.5)
    TaylorMade Burner 4 Hybrid (22)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56-F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60-S
    Ping Karsten Anser
  • mci711mci711 ChicagoMembers Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

You are already paying for pebble (presumably) pay the little bit extra and get the caddie and enjoy the full experience. The nail was hit on the head in the previous post in what you are getting, walking down the fairway with a caddie carrying your bag is part of the fun.

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Ditto all the comments that say get the walking caddie.

IIRC if you don't get a caddie you have to use a cart and it's cart path only.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• jbasiljbasil Members Posts: 3

thanks everyone. caddie it is!

• drscott266drscott266 Members Posts: 419 ✭✭✭✭

Definitely go full caddie, especially at Spy Glass. Enjoy the trip, Spy Glass is a course I can’t stop thinking about it. If it weren’t next to Pebble it would be ranked higher I think. Enjoy the Inn at Spanish Bay too, such a great property and less crowded than the lodge

• vinprun71vinprun71 ConnecticutMembers Posts: 113 ✭✭✭

I didn't mention this in my previous post, but for what it's worth, my FIL has played both Pebble and Spyglass. He used a caddie at both courses. The calibre of caddie you'll get at these courses is top of the line. They're spot on with recommendations and give you accurate percentages to hit your putter given the contours of the greens. He said caddies at both places were amazing and super helpful.

TaylorMade R15 460cc (10.5)
    Callaway FT 3 Wood (15)
    Cobra F9 Speedback 4 Iron (18.5)
    TaylorMade Burner 4 Hybrid (22)
    Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 5-GW
    Titleist Vokey SM7 56-F
    Titleist Vokey SM7 60-S
    Ping Karsten Anser
  • Roadking2003Roadking2003 AustinMembers Posts: 6,068 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@jbasil said:
    I’m playing pebble and spy glass in about a month. Does anyone know the difference between the forecaddie and caddie? Does the forecaddie help with yardage and green reading? Do they ride in a cart while you walk? Would you recommend one vs the other? Thanks!

I highly recommend a caddie at Pebble if you are able to walk the course. Walking lets you enjoy the course and the views much more.

• slocagolferslocagolfer Members Posts: 506 ✭✭✭✭✭

@jvincent said:
    Ditto all the comments that say get the walking caddie.

IIRC if you don't get a caddie you have to use a cart and it's cart path only.

Unless PB has changed its policy, you can carry your own bag. No pull carts allowed though. You don't need a caddie if you don't take a cart.

• jvincentjvincent Members Posts: 809 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks, wasn't sure of the carry policy. I know when I played not getting a caddie wasn't even a consideration.

Cobra F9 9* : Tour AD TP 7-S
    Cobra LTD set at 16* : Tour AD TP 8-S
    Cobra 3U set at 19.5* : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Wishon 565MC 4-PW : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Cleveland RTX3 50, 54, 58 : Nippon Modus3 130-S
    Piretti Potenza 370g : Breakthrough Technology Stability Shaft - 34"

• ASN21ASN21 #TeamTaylorMade Bay AreaMembers Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭

I highly recommend a caddie at Pebble and a forecaddie at Spyglass (especially if you have a group of all your buddies). This is the route I went when I played both courses.

TaylorMade M6 10.5 - Aldila Rogue Black
    TaylorMade M6 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver
    TaylorMade GAPR HI 3 & 4 - KBS Hybrid
    TaylorMade P790 5-AW - Project X LZ
    TaylorMade Milled Grind HI-TOE 56 & 60 - KBS HI-REV 2.0
    TaylorMade My Spider X
    TaylorMade TP5/X

• jbasiljbasil Members Posts: 3

Thanks everyone. Is spy glass cart path only?

• vallygolfvallygolf Members Posts: 457 ✭✭✭✭

Spyglass is CPO

• az2auaz2au Members Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

If you don't walk Pebble and Spyglass I seriously have no idea why you are even bothering to play them. Riding in a cart on either absolutely ruins the experience.

• RoodyRoody You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all Rochester, NYMembers Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

When I played Pebble in 2013, I played once by myself and took a caddie, and the other round I played with my wife but we took a cart. Not that I didn't enjoy playing a round of golf with my wife, but the round walking with the caddie was awesome.

Titleist ProV1x
    Titleist 915 D2
    Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
    Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
    Odyssey Black Series #7
    Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file