Ping G710 or 410 ?

slolane

I am 67 years old hit my 7 iron 150 yards driver 250 yards looking to buy my last set of irons ( at least that's what I told my wife ). I got a set of G400 last Aug. didn't get fit ( long story ). My problem is I like the 400s and hit them well enough for a guy my age. Buttttt I really like the look of the 710s and I had 410s on order but there was a problem with Ping getting shafts so they were on back order. That's how I ended up with the 400s off the rack. I know there is not much difference between the 400 and 410 and probably not worth the move but I would get fitted this time. So my question is will the 710s be an upgrade, downgrade, or sideways? I am looking for the right irons to take me into my 70s. So I am asking for advice from the wise golfers here. Keep the 400s call it a day or order 410s again or try the new 710s? Thanks for the advice in advance.

Driver Ping G430 SFT Alta quick 45 

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

5 - u wedge Ping G710 Irons Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Calloway 58 easy out sand wedge

Bettenardi studio stock #3 putter

62, not yet retired, don’t hit it quite as long ... Maybe go to your favorite big box store with Trackman, ask them to set up a G410 and a G710 - same shaft ... hit them both and see what you think. I’ve played almost all the G’s from 10 to 400 and I liked the G700s better.

• Like 1

The Navy Vessel IV Pro bag:

Ping G425 Max Driver Alta CB Slate Sr

Ping G425 Max 5w / 7w Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 4h / 5h Alta CB Slate R

Ping G425 5-UW Alta CB Slate R

Ping Glide 3.0 54° WS / 58° Eye2 Z-115

Seemore PCB 33"

Back-up Hoofer bag:

Ping Eye2+ 3-9 Aldila Low Torque Graphite, PW-SW KT Steel

Man, those G710's look nice! I didn't even realize they were out until your post, and actually thought you mis-typed and meant g700

TM 2016 M2 12*(-2 setting) - OG Grafalloy Blue X, 43.5"

TEE XCG7 16.5* 4w, OG Grafalloy Blue S, 41.75"

Wilson D9 18* 4i, KBS Max-R, 39.5”

Cobra King OS 4-G, TT XP95 R300, -.5
Mack Daddy CB 56.14(2* weak)  60.12(3*  weak)

Edel Brick

I am going to see if I can get into a fitter next week to hit the 410s and 710s. I will report back after I have had a chance to hit them. I know some guys are worried about the black finish getting marked up but I have leaned a black sharpie will cover a lot of marks and scratches.

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

Hit the G710 and see if you even like the feel. I'm assuming the G710 are going to feel somewhat similar to the G700, although some report that it is much improved. I'm a G series player and found the G700 too long in the blade and the offset too obvious, although its not much different from the G series. Did not like the feel and sound of the G700 at all. Also think that Ping has done a nice job with the G410 in reducing the offset a bit and making it look more compact compared to the G400.

In conclusion, hit the G710 and see what you think. If it was me, I'd probably upgrade to the G410. I know the G710 looks great with the black finish, but it won't look nearly as nice after 10 rounds.

I went from the G400 to the G410. I didn't like the look of the 400's, I just thought they looked dated. They are still phenomenal iron. I had the same shaft put into the G410 irons and they're awesome. If you're not losing ball contact, misses or if your swing is staying consistent, I feel like you're going to get more distance with the new 710's, for sure. Then you run into gapping issues and you might need a new shaft, but PING will never steer you wrong, just make sure you get fit.

Driver: PXG Gen5 0811XF 9* with Tensei CK Blue 65, stiff
3W: PXG Gen4 0341 15* with Fukijura PRO 2.0, stiff
Hybrid: PXG Gen4 0317X 19* with Fujikura PRO 2.0, stiff

4i-6i: Srixon ZX 5 MKII with NS PRO Modus Tour 120, stiff

7i-AW: Srixon ZX 7 MKII with NS PRO Modus Tour 120, stiff
54: PXG 0311 Milled Sugar Daddy with TrueTemper Elevate Tour, stiff
58: PXG 0311 Milled Sugar Daddy with TrueTemper Elevate Tour, stiff
Putter: Scotty Cameron Coronado California

Schedule a fitting with a place like Club Champion for from Ping directly and find out the right away. Until you hit them all with the correct shaft you are just guessing. The only thing I would say is keep in mind the G710 has a lot of offset, so if you draw the ball naturally with your irons, they aren't ideal.

• 2 months later...

Well, I just got a set of Ping G-410's and not really loving them. Golly, the offset on the 4-iron is hideous....worse than the others. I thought offset diminishes as you go longer, this is just the opposite, at least appearance wise. When you put the 4-iron down and look down the shaft at the head, the leading edge of the face looks like it falls on the back side of the shaft edge. Every time I've taken that club out, that's the first thing I think of, that hideous offset.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

Off-set is to help get the ball in the air, that is why as you get longer there is more off-set. OP, for me I would go 410s on price alone. Or wait till the new release coming for next spring!? Golf season will be short this year(at least here, courses still closed), so play what you have and demo new releases come spring '21?!

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

I recently purchased the Ping 710 irons, and if you are looking for an iron to carry you into your 70's I would say these are the ones. They look great and with the new dark finish look more sleek at address, the sound is much improved, and no argument over the distance it is there. I previously had Ping 400 and Ping 700 irons and can say the 710 changed the game, looks, feel, sound and distance.

• Thanks 1

I got to hit the 710 inside in Feb. and couldn't tell the difference between the 400,410, or 710. So I wanted to wait to be able to hit them outdoors but as soon as the weather got good enough here in Michigan the lock down hit. My local retailer is having a demo day in mid May. I hope the lock down is over so I can hit them and compare them all. Now I wonder how long it would take to get a set from Ping once this lock down is over? I have to believe there will be lots of back orders to fill might be the middle of the season here before I can get irons this year.

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

No, actually these G-410's are the first Pings I've owned. Also have Cally Rogue Pro prior, and keeping them too. I'll decide if I want to let the G-410's go after one or two more rounds. The sound is harsh, the feel is harsh, and don't like the offset or the wide flange on the bottom. Don't ask me why I got them.... maybe Covid aggravation, outlet release, or some kinda mood swing. The best thing I like is this Ping satin stainless finish. Geesh, I didn't remember the 7-iron I tested being that wide on the bottom. I should have gone with the G-710 that I tested with that I was using a 125-gm steel shaft (not known to me until the Golf Galaxy tech guy told me, I thought it was a lighter steel, but it felt so good, like it helped power the club through the ball). Maybe it's these lighter counterbalanced Alta CB graphite shafts in the G-410's that feel funky.

GHIN Index 12.9
LH Epic Flash Driver-LH, 10.5*, Project X EvenFlow Riptide 50 (Light)
LH Callaway Rogue 5-wood (18*), 7-wood (20*); Aldila Synergy 60-Reg
LH Callaway Rogue ST Pro 4-AW, Recoil Dart 75 F3
LH Cleveland RTX 50*, 54*, 58*
LH Odyssey Double Wide Stroke Lab Putter

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, I had a fitting Friday I hit at least 10 different irons with different shafts. The numbers came down to Mavrik max and g710 all the numbers were very close performance wise. The Callaway just looked so chunky behind the ball. So I went with the black 710 irons. The 410 were in the running but I was surprised the spin numbers were not as good as the 710s. So I have a 5-u wedge set of 710s to try once it warms up here in Michigan. It is May 11 here and wind chills in the 20s!! Supposed to get warmer soon so I will let you know how they work real world when I get out.

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

This has been repeated so many times people think it is true - it is not. It has been proven many times by many people - offset has very little effect on ball flight  - it is mainly an alignment attribute.

I demoed the G700 (not 710) extensively against the 410. The 700series are a bit longer, hits it higher, and is a bit more forgiving. The 410 looks better (to me), and sounds and feels much better (again to me).

If you are a Ping guy you cannot go wrong with either choice.

• 2 months later...

Im also making a switch to the G710's but I'm coming from an awesome set of TaylorMade P790 with recoil shafts. Im getting close to retirement age and I wanted to make one more final purchase as I started golfing with PING and have tried I don't know how many other brands but PINGs have always been my favorite brand. I sold my P790's for a real good price so I'm making the leap with 4-PW red dot SteelFiber shafts as I played these shafts years ago with my AP2's and loved the feel. I have to wait till the 1st week of August supposedly as with this stupid Covid-19 sticking around who knows. I now can't golf till then as I have no back up irons. I sure hope the wait will be worth it. I'm pretty excited as I'm a PING guy for Life

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip

I love the G410s, hitting them beautifully at the moment, straight and penetrating. I had the G400 before and I think the G410 are quite different. Gone are the really sky high shots. The G410 aren’t perhaps as forgiving as G400 initially, but they are easier to shape. I also find them buttery soft with the Alta shafts, the 5I is my favourite club in the set.

I’ve not tried the G700 ranges, but they look massive to me, and give me a cavity-back rather than a hollow club any day, so much nicer to hit.

I’ll be keeping mine for a few years if I carry on hitting the ball like I am at the moment, yesterday’s round I shot 77 and my driving was poor. The G410s saved the day, one poor shot all round, everything else went where I wanted it to go.

I have about 15 rounds on my 710s now and am liking them more and more. I am sure the 410s would have done just as good of a job and been just fine. But I fell hard for the black 710s and the reviews. The black finish is holding up well and if they do scuff a little black sharpie will cover some sins.

• Like 1

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

I tried the G710 irons and found they felt strange, like I was hitting through the ball and not getting it all.

I mentioned this in other threads, and several G710 users came back with common theme: avoid the Alta DISTANZA 42-gram stock shaft, it's too light. Common shaft recommendations include Alta CB, AWT 2.0 or DG 105.

I'm considering getting new irons - mainly to shift to graphite shafts - and G710 will be in the mix.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I have the stock Alta senior graphite shafts, my fitter said the Distanza was to light.

• Like 1

3w Ping G400 Alta senior

5w Ping G400 Alta senior

7w Ping G400 Alta senior

9w Ping G400 Alta senior

Ping 54 Glide lob

I went with the G700 right before the G710 came out. I have Recoil 65 shafts in 6-UW. Love them. I play to a 5 handicap. Get the G710 as you can’t order the G700 anymore.

Driver: Callaway Epic Flash 10.5 w/ Project X Evenflow Green 55 R shaft Fairway woods: Callaway Epic Flash 5 and 7 wood Hybrids: Callaway Big Bertha 4i and 5i Irons: Srixon ZX5 6-AW, Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zipcore 54 and 58 degree Putter: mySpider X

I have a i500 5 iron. Tried different shafts in it. Didn't like the way it felt.

I had a G410 7 iron. Tried a few different shafts in it. Didn't like it either

Tried the i210 at the PGA Tour Super store and am now playing a set with Accra i graphite shafts.

Tried the G710 at the PGA Tour Super Store and loved how they felt. Have a set on order. Delivery scheduled for the 2nd week in August.

• 1 month later...

Picked up my G710's at PING as soon as they came out in late February.  Blue dot with UST  RecoiL SmacWrap reg shafts. The shafts are fantastic and were strongly recommended by a former tour van club maker whom I've bought many sets of irons from.  BTW, these shafts really dampen the shock on any poor contact---especially when it's cold outside. Best irons I've ever owned.  Long and forgiving.  Just turned 69 and these clubs allow me to pretty much hit the same club as I would have 10 years ago.  Never a bomber, but 7 iron carries an honest 155.  My kid hits his 7I 180...but that's another story.  A strong two thumbs up from me.

Edited by Hrocks
  • Like 1