Problem with LPGA

volrus

I was watching the women's U.S. Open today and it was pretty good. However, one problem I think they might have is the infiltration of foreign golfers. At one point today I was watching and the leader board popped up with 2 Americans and the entire rest of the first page of the leader board were Korean (I think). Don't get me wrong, they can all play very well, but I just think it hurts the LPGA a little in that there isn't any name recognition and apparently very few American players that can compete. I could be wrong about all this, but this is my observation from watching a couple hours of the US Open today...

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As good as the Korean golfers are, I agree it does not help with the marketing of their product. Its been mentioned before, what they need are two or three golfers, (like Arnie, Gary, and Jack or Phil and Tiger kind of thing) battling it out every weekend.

Don't get me wrong, these Koreans can play, and nothing seems to bother them at all.

I also feel that they really don't do the product much good when they spend 20 minutes going over the qualities of the resort they are playing. For me, when I turn golf on, I want to watch golf. Not how many tennis courts and swimming pools they have etc.

There's some great talent on the LPGA, but I think they've hit a low economically along with poor marketing. Many of the tournaments aren't shown till later at night. Sometimes its hard to find which network is covering them.

They need to develop the product a little more( build up some rivalries, give some of the better players face time ). Then deliver it to an audience that wants to see it in a timely fashion.

I think Carolyn Bivens was fired because she couldn't market the LPGA. She tried to institute a English Language policy, but was rejected. I don't think Donald Trump could market the LPGA as it is. There aren't too many personalities on the LPGA, Ochoa is a great player, but she is hard to watch in an interview, much like most of the top players on tour. There are only a handful of personalities: Christina Kim, Natalie Gulbis, Paula Creamer, Morgan Pressel, and that's about it. I think the LPGA needs to cut back their tournaments and play only the week before and the week after some of the major PGA tournament, Masters, Players, Memorial, Bay Hill, AT&T, The Open, PGA Chamionship, and some other events to give them a 20-24 week schedule, that's it. Also, they need to have some events during the silly season, and have these women miked, so we can listen in.

I personally think it's a great product, I watched the Women's US Open today instead of the John Deere :boredom:. I also think Johnny Miller should be the announcer at all their events too. He adds more to their tournaments, than any other announcer out there.

LOL, I'll take can of worms for $600 Alex....

Like every other sport, the LPGA has to find a way to find the balance between 'sport' and 'entertainment'. No matter how pure or high quality the sport is, it's the 'entertainment' factor that is going to pay the freight.

The LPGA has a tough task. Unfortunately, the sad truth is most American male sports fans do not follow women's sports. Exceptions are mostly based on physical appearance (refer to your beach volleyball tab.) That creates a world where Anna Kournikova and Maria Sharapova were more marketable than Venus Williams and Lindsey Davenport. Or a world where Natlie Gulbis stretching will create more avatars than Annika Sorenstam.

And influx of very technically sound but personality bland Asian players haven't helped the 'entertainment' angle the LPGA is trying to market. Their best, possibly only, moves are to:

1. Consider a international tour. International will likely mean North America and Asia....but they have to create a schedule to go where the money is. There are no easy gravy trains is the current US economy.

2. Find some exposure. They have to find a way to get on TV where the average viewer can find them. LPGA coverage is so limited and sporadic, they have no chance of building a fan base

3. Pray they find a dominant personality (or even better a rivalry!) to carry the sport. Women's tennis has shown it can succeed along Men's tennis with the right personalities or rivalries. The problem is the Men's Tour enjoys Tiger as the greatest presence since Nicklaus...and probably the strongest presence ever. He pulls in casual sports fans like a black hole. The LPGA needs the compelling personality they haven't had since Nancy Lopez. Annika was a great player -but a shy withdrawn personality. Lorena seems to be the same. Michelle Wie actually had potential, but her early stumbles and insistence on playing against men created an enormous backflash she is feeling to this day.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

All the LPGA needs is Natalie Gulbis everyday, all day. I don't even care if they show her hitting golf shots. I just want to watch her walk around. I like her. Alot. Especially when she where's red. She shouldn't ever wear another color. The blonde and the red just pop.

Come to think of it, I like most blondes. Especially when they wear red. The LPGA should have a blonde hair only rule. And you have to be super hot. They should spot Natalie 3 strokes right out of the gate to get her in contention more often. Or just have a clause where a certain committee decides if a player is "hot" enough to be on tour. I am volunteering to be the chairman of said committee.

Just saying....

All the LPGA needs is Natalie Gulbis everyday, all day. I don't even care if they show her hitting golf shots. I just want to watch her walk around. I like her. Alot. Especially when she where's red. She shouldn't ever wear another color. The blonde and the red just pop.

Come to think of it, I like most blondes. Especially when they wear red. The LPGA should have a blonde hair only rule. And you have to be super hot. They should spot Natalie 3 strokes right out of the gate to get her in contention more often. Or just have a clause where a certain committee decides if a player is "hot" enough to be on tour. I am volunteering to be the chairman of said committee.

Just saying....

LOL! Priceless!!!

I was gonna post that the LPGA tour just need HOT looking women, who play decently, but you definitely took what I was thinking to a higher level!

Edit - by the way, sorry to say, but I don't really think Gulbis is that hot... body wise, yes... the face, nah!

I was watching today also and enjoyed it for the most part, but it did become more boring as the day wore on.

The part that made it difficult for me to enjoy was that I really had no clue who most of the players on the leaderboard were. All of the Asian players played well but I just don't know who they are so it is hard for me to connect to the programming. Creamer may have played poorly today but I know who she is and she showed emotion as the day wore on. I really continued watching through most of the round because I felt bad for her after the triple bogey where she looked like she was about in tears.

Basically I think the LPGA needs some compelling players for people to follow. Those players need to play well while also being a good interview, showing emotion, and it would help if they're attractive. The list of players that I try to follow now include Creamer, Pressel, Gulbis, and Wie. They need those four to perform and some additional talent to help them. Those 4 can't do it on their own.

The LPGA has a tough task. Unfortunately, the sad truth is most American male sports fans do not follow women's sports. Exceptions are mostly based on physical appearance (refer to your beach volleyball tab.) That creates a world where Anna Kournikova and Maria Sharapova were more marketable than Venus Williams and Lindsey Davenport. Or a world where Natlie Gulbis stretching will create more avatars than Annika Sorenstam.

I watch women's beach volleyball for the game, just like former President George W. Bush. :diablo:

41529224.jpg

The LPGA really needs to find a way to market the asians flooding the leaderboards.  If they can give them even American first names as nicknames, that would help a whole lot (Michelle Wie and Anthony Kim come to mind, though bad examples, if their Korean names were used - Song Mi Wi and Ha Jin Kim - they may not be as identifiable or remembered by many Americans).  Some short feature segments of the unknown foreigners like they show in the Olympics would help identify with the viewing audience on tv, but unfortunately, it would disrupt the flow of the broadcast severely.  I don't have any good marketing suggestions, but until people start to recognize the names of women on the leaderboard, the situation may continue to get worse.  Unless, of course, somebody with looks, skills, and charisma comes around.  Then it doesn't matter who the others are as long a that person is dominating the field (Jenny Finch, Misty May, Keri Walsh, Mia Hamm, etc come to mind in their respective sports).

You want more Americans at the top of the leaderboard? Teach them how to play better golf! Golf is a world sport now, and the players are coming from all over the world to the tour that pays the most money which happens to be the LPGA.

I like the LPGA for the fact you not only get to see the best American players, you get to see the best players in the world play because they are playing here.

I watch women's beach volleyball for the game, just like former President George W. Bush. :diablo:

41529224.jpg

The LPGA really needs to find a way to market the asians flooding the leaderboards.  If they can give them even American first names as nicknames, that would help a whole lot (Michelle Wie and Anthony Kim come to mind, though bad examples, if their Korean names were used - Song Mi Wi and Ha Jin Kim - they may not be as identifiable or remembered by many Americans).  Some short feature segments of the unknown foreigners like they show in the Olympics would help identify with the viewing audience on tv, but unfortunately, it would disrupt the flow of the broadcast severely.  I don't have any good marketing suggestions, but until people start to recognize the names of women on the leaderboard, the situation may continue to get worse.  Unless, of course, somebody with looks, skills, and charisma comes around.  Then it doesn't matter who the others are as long a that person is dominating the field (Jenny Finch, Misty May, Keri Walsh, Mia Hamm, etc come to mind in their respective sports).

LOL, you can't compare Wie and Anthony Kim to the girls you're talking about- those two are American born, Korean-Americans. The others are Korean born, Korean Koreans. From Korea.

I think the main problem is that there's not enough reason for them to come over to America, other than Majors. The purses for lady's events seem pretty comparable for the bigger asian events, and with the whole comfort level and already existing endorsemetns contracts, there really aren't many reasons for players to base themselves in America full time.

you want to get more guys watching the LPGA? Encourage those that want to flaunt their great bodies in front of the camera.

I'm sure Natalie would have no problem showing even more skin. What about Sergas showing more stomach and shorter skirts?

How about more exemptions to the NCAA girls and duramed girls? Those girls are fun to watch no matter what they score.

There is nothing wrong with showing it if you have it. You think females actually watch Adam Scott's score?

LOL, you can't compare Wie and Anthony Kim to the girls you're talking about- those two are American born, Korean-Americans. The others are Korean born, Korean Koreans. From Korea.

Yes, that's why I said it was a bad example.  I was trying to make a point about only their Korean names, but it didn't work out well.   :russian_roulette:

Come on guys were not trying to market a sex appeal focused tour, its still about golf. I agree 100% about familiarity of players being a huge hinderance and the blandness of the personalities hurting the marketability but those are things to be focused on. Once people can understand who a player is and what makes them tick (LPGA do alot of this) we care more. Right now they are doomed with this current setup....for every new person who would start watching for short skirts you would loose 2 true golf enthusiasts...

There have been some good points made above, I'm just going to add a note from a woman's perspective. Some of us would really like to be able to watch the LPGA as much as the PGA so we can see relateable golf games. However, it makes me very uncomfortable to see a player wearing a tiny skirt where the camera has to turn away so as to not show the goodies by mistake. If you continue to focus on physical attractiveness as a way to market a sport, you marginalize it. I think we need to know more about the players so they have personalities to make us want to watch and follow them. Remember how they do the bio's during the Olympics to give you some background on the athletes? There may be 3 women with the last name "Kim" on the leader board, but it's up to the LPGA to make us know something about each of them so they don't get lumped in the commentary of "faceless asian players I can't tell them apart". Heck, you could line up 6 caucasian PGA golfers and I probably couldn't identify them if they weren't one of the "name" players.

It's not how...it's how many

Come on guys were not trying to market a sex appeal focused tour, its still about golf. I agree 100% about familiarity of players being a huge hinderance and the blandness of the personalities hurting the marketability but those are things to be focused on. Once people can understand who a player is and what makes them tick (LPGA do alot of this) we care more. Right now they are doomed with this current setup....for every new person who would start watching for short skirts you would loose 2 true golf enthusiasts...

Only hard core golfers watch golf for the golf. The average fan watches for the personalities involved. This is why when Tiger isn't in the field, viewership and attendance drop precipitously (like 40 or 50%). If the LPGA wants to boost viewership and attendance, they need to market the players, not the game. The NBA learned this lesson over 20 years ago. Players with no emotion and that appear to have dull personalities that don't speak English are almost unmarketable to an American audience with an ever expanding case of ADD. To help overcome this deficit, the LPGA should do "up close and personal" player profiles each tournament like they do at the Olympic games. Little 3 to 5 minute vinnettes. For example, Jean Reynolds is a great compelling story at this US Open, but we know almost nothing about her. I'm willing to bet that many of the Korean players also have compelling stories that we know nothing about. They need to stop trying to compete head to head for viewership with the PGA tour as well and should consider modifying their season, maybe days of the week and tee times commensurately.

I agree with the suggestions of marketing the players better. I immediately thought of the last big break and how us as viewers got to know a bit about each of the golfers. I found myself as interested if not more interested with the female golfers and their game than the males. If Gerina or Kim were playing in the Women's Open I would certainly be tuning in to see how well they did simply because big break has exposed them enough to make me a fan. if the LPGA could do stories/interviews/background on some of the better players in an effort to allow the fans to get to know the players I would guess that you would have a larger loyal viewership following their favorite golfer week in and week out.

You want more Americans at the top of the leaderboard? Teach them how to play better golf! Golf is a world sport now, and the players are coming from all over the world to the tour that pays the most money which happens to be the LPGA.

I like the LPGA for the fact you not only get to see the best American players, you get to see the best players in the world play because they are playing here.

The fact is, money/sponsorships carry professional golf, including the LPGA which is begining to struggle in that department. There isn't any question that the dominance of the Asian players is hurting the LPGA financially. It's a dirty little secret and it probably isn't fair but the LPGA isn't going to survive on American television if they don't find a way to market the product in a way that will sell on American TV. Now, if the Asian sponsors want to financially carry the game here that is one thing. There may come a time when our ladies have to play over there for the purse. Regardless, the LPGA is in decline and that's a shame. But if the trend doesn't change watching paint dry will get better ratings.

I watched today, much more interested than the Deere, it is a Major event after all. Was rooting for Lincicome and disappointed that Kerr did not pull it off.

That said, the Asian players were just more clutch and more money. I have to respect this. Without them, the leaderboard would

have looked like one from one of my clubs outings.

I still say, want more viewers, reward big hitters like Wie and Lincicome with tracks and set ups that suit them. Watching Lincicome

go for the 250yd par 4 was cool and will bring in viewers. Reachable par 5s, less penal rough since the women really have trouble

digging it out. You don't have to have sexy players, but let the game play "sexy".

I argue with my wife about why Wie is so popular. She thinks it's her looks. They don't hurt but it's all about her length.

I believe better American players ARE on the way!! I think the junior programs here have gotten better and more competitive in the last several years and we're about to see a wave of young Americans on the first page of the leaderboards weekly.

Stacy Lewis, Vicky Hurst, Amanda Blumenhurst (sp?), Michelle Wie (still a young'un even though we've seen her for years), and others are getting their feet wet on tour now and will be in the mix soon!

Woo

I'm strictly a golf fan, the announcers don't sway me one way or the other,

though I have favorites (Miller, Feherty and a few more) and the Tournament isn't

ruined for me because I don't know the player, are where they came from. I'm

watching golf. Today's Women's Open was dramatic for me, the ebb and flow,

and I have favorites, but don't choose them because of where they are from.

I pull for the U.S, in the Solheim Cup, but enjoy the golf by both sides.

I can see the point of a casual viewer not being able to get into it as much as me.

I'm the same way when I watch Hockey, which I know is a great game, I just don't

know the ins and outs well enough.

TBD
Tour Edge Exotics CB 4 16.5 Regular Flex
Cobra Baffler hybrid 22* Regular
Mizuno MP 59 5-PW PX 5.0
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind wedges 54 & 58
T.P Mills Professional One 35"
Bridgesone E6 Soft Yellow

I agree. Would I like to see the American women excel? Do I think the Asian players play like emotionless robots? Yes and Yes. However, the American women need to win, plain and simple.

Having said that... the foreigners success on the LPGA tour have created a marketing nightmare. Let's say you fork over two grand to play in a LPGA pro am benefit, and get paired with this year's US Open winner, Ji. What do you get? Great golf, certainly, but a round with zero conversation - no stories, no tips, nothing.

Because they don't go to school and play golf 10 hours a day, 7 days per week. Fact.

All eggs in one basket. Our girls go to k-12, then college. it is definitely not inherent genetic ability that makes Asians better at the sport. We as a society aren't willing to make this sacrifice, and I think that's a wise decision.

Regarding a whole new wave of American on the way...actually junior golf (girls at least) is SATURATED with Koreans and Philippines. Of the junior asian players I have come into contact with, only about 40% actually attend traditional school like our girls do.

It's just their choice. And for the dozens that make the tour, there are thousands from Asia that don't and then they are stuck without an education...