Top 5 Courses you played in 2018

1. Sleepy Hollow Country Club

2. Winged Foot East

3. Bethpage Black

4. Deepdale Golf Club

5. Wykagyl Country Club

Great list..... can you compare Deepdale to Wykagyl? Both as courses and facilities etc. I have heard wonderful things of Deepdale.

I would say Deepdale is more old school or at least has that feel. The clubhouses and practice facilities are similar. The main difference is that DGC is a golf club and Wykagyl is a country club. Both have a great logo and great merchandise pro shops.

Wykagyl has really solid par 3s. And some treacherous green complexes. Deepdale has A great routing and some great risk/reward tee shots. Both offer great contouring. The one thing that really stood out at Wykagyl is that I hit every club in my bag. Not sure that’s ever happened before for me

SIM 9 Degree set to 10.5 - AD IZ 6TX w/ TP adaptor - plays 44.5"

SIM MAX Ventus Blue 6S - std length

SIM Max 19 Hybrid HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist U510 4I - HZRDUS Smoke 6.0

Titleist 620CB 5I-9I - Modus 120X pured/hard stepped, 1 flat

Titleist 620MB PW & Vokey SM8 Raw 50.08F bent 1 weak, 2 flat - X100

Vokey SM8 Raw 54.10S bent 1 weak, 2 flat - S400

Vokey SM8 WW Raw 60 Low K bent 2 flat - S400

Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Laguna Two - 36" 

ProV1x - #41

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. Winged Foot East

3. Bethpage Black

4. Deepdale Golf Club

5. Wykagyl Country Club

Great list..... can you compare Deepdale to Wykagyl? Both as courses and facilities etc. I have heard wonderful things of Deepdale.

I would say Deepdale is more old school or at least has that feel. The clubhouses and practice facilities are similar. The main difference is that DGC is a golf club and Wykagyl is a country club. Both have a great logo and great merchandise pro shops.

Wykagyl has really solid par 3s. And some treacherous green complexes. Deepdale has A great routing and some great risk/reward tee shots. Both offer great contouring. The one thing that really stood out at Wykagyl is that I hit every club in my bag. Not sure that’s ever happened before for me

Looking forward to playing Deepdale next year, we had a hit at Wykagyl last trip and the boys loved it , even though none of us had heard of it before. We were scheduled to play Winged Foot however they were doing some renovations/maintanence so there was some disappointment heading to Wykagyl, that soon dissipated.

Unlike some of the other places we played, I would go back to Wykagyl in a heart beat

2. Winged Foot East

3. Bethpage Black

4. Deepdale Golf Club

5. Wykagyl Country Club

Looking forward to playing Deepdale next year, we had a hit at Wykagyl last trip and the boys loved it , even though none of us had heard of it before. We were scheduled to play Winged Foot however they were doing some renovations/maintanence so there was some disappointment heading to Wykagyl, that soon dissipated.

Unlike some of the other places we played, I would go back to Wykagyl in a heart beat

Wykagyl is on a better piece of land compared to WF. But WF is absolutely my favorite place on earth. Both the east and west are absolutely incredible routings. The greens at WF are Tillinghast’s best work. And the East may have the best set of par 3s in the country. Playing there a handful of times has been an absolute privilege. The membership is absolutely obsessed with golf. And the aura around the place is the closest thing to Scotland that we will see in the states. I can’t rave about it enough. If you get the opportunity again treasure it.

The 13th hole on the East is the closest thing to 12 at Augusta that I will ever play. It’s a 9 iron and is known as the shortest par 5 in golf. The other unique thing is that the “turn” at the Foot East is after the 10th. Which is a genius of a hole design.

The 11th tee is my favorite place to be on the course. After finishing 10 you pop in the grill room for a “good guy”, and meet your caddie at the tee which is right off the back patio. To the left is the 18th green of the West, which is the greatest green complex in the world. You can just look over and relive the impossible putt Bobby Jones had to win the 1929 US Open. To your far left is the 10th tee of the West which may be the hardest of the 36 holes. And to your right is the 18th green of the east and the 9th of the West. The buzz is unreal

ProV1x - #41

2. Winged Foot East

3. Bethpage Black

4. Deepdale Golf Club

5. Wykagyl Country Club

Wykagyl is on a better piece of land compared to WF. But WF is absolutely my favorite place on earth. Both the east and west are absolutely incredible routings. The greens at WF are Tillinghast’s best work. And the East may have the best set of par 3s in the country. Playing there a handful of times has been an absolute privilege. The membership is absolutely obsessed with golf. And the aura around the place is the closest thing to Scotland that we will see in the states. I can’t rave about it enough. If you get the opportunity again treasure it.

The 13th hole on the East is the closest thing to 12 at Augusta that I will ever play. It’s a 9 iron and is known as the shortest par 5 in golf. The other unique thing is that the “turn” at the Foot East is after the 10th. Which is a genius of a hole design.

The 11th tee is my favorite place to be on the course. After finishing 10 you pop in the grill room for a “good guy”, and meet your caddie at the tee which is right off the back patio. To the left is the 18th green of the West, which is the greatest green complex in the world. You can just look over and relive the impossible putt Bobby Jones had to win the 1929 US Open. To your far left is the 10th tee of the West which may be the hardest of the 36 holes. And to your right is the 18th green of the east and the 9th of the West. The buzz is unreal

Driving through the gates you know it’ll be a special day - and that your putter will get a workout.

I didn't get a chance to travel much this year, so all West Coast tracks:

1. Pasatiempo

2. Bayonet

3. Gold Mountain Olympic Course

4. Fircrest Country Club

5, La Purisma

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec 

2. Winged Foot East

3. Bethpage Black

4. Deepdale Golf Club

5. Wykagyl Country Club

We are going to Winged Foot in September 19, you obviously love the place and I gotta say I am pumped to go.

Whilst we are talking Tillinghast (albeit its only you and me), have you played Baltusrol (Upper and Lower). We played the lower on the last trip (and likely going back this time), had a wonderful day and dinner in the club however the course divided opinion amongst the group, I'm a links guy so I was in the lower rated camp.

Before anyone jumps on me, given where we played it was like choosing between super models, we had been out to Long Island the week before.

Any thoughts you had as a compare and contrast to Winged Foot would be appreciated

Medinah

Oakmont

Pine Tree

Medalist

Baltusrol

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Haven’t played it. Have only walked it a few times for the PGA. I think you will enjoy WF much more. Hanse restored it back to its original look and removed a number of trees. The greens are massive. I’d say of all his work it’s more similar to McDonald/Raynor work. It’s not a links course but the ground game is absolutely relevant. Think there are only 2 greens out of the 36 that are forced carries. What NGLA is to CB McDonald, Augusta to Mackenzie, Winged Foot is to Tillinghast.

ProV1x - #41

1. U.S. Naval Academy

2. Mid Pines, NC

3. Achasta- Nicklaus course in GA

4. Pine Needles, NC

5. Cutter Creek, NC

Naval Academy? Good course but I'm guessing you're a little partial? ;)

I've never played it but my parents live in Annapolis and everyone says it's incredible there. I'm gonna try to get on next year, should be a good time!

No particular order...

Congaree

Kapalua Plantation Course

Wannamoisett

Trinity Forest

Wailea Gold

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

A New Englander's list - I'll be heading to Bandon in January so hopefully 2019 is a little more exciting

1. TCC (Brookline, MA)

2. Woods Hole Golf Club

3. Pine Hills - Jones Course (Plymouth, MA)

4. Samoset Resort (Maine)

5. Quail Hollow Golf & Country Club (Oakham, MA) - cheap little muni but it deserves a spot because I got my first ace here on the 7th hole

I don’t think I played any that are worth a spot on list. Pretty pathetic year.

Don't feel bad, me too. I played the same dump of a muni (27 holes) all summer, with the exception of a round at Taconic (always a treat) on the way home from a wedding in NH.

I did play one spectacular par 3 course in NH.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Currahee Club - Toccoa, GA

Bella Collina GC - Montverde, FL

Championsgate GC - Davenport, FL

Thistle GC - Sunset Beach, NC

Crystal Falls Lake G&CC - Dawsonville, GA

TaylorMade M3 w/HZRDUS Yellow stiff
TaylorMade M4 Tour 3 wood w/HZRDUS Red stiff
TaylorMade M3 2 hybrid (set to 19*) w/HZRDUS Black stiff
Srixon U65 4i Miyazaki Stiff
Srixon 765 5-PW Modus 120 Stiff
Cleveland RTX 3.0 50*, 54*, and 58* KBS 61
TaylorMade Spider Black

Gameball: Vice Pro Plus, Srixon Q Star Tour

1. Kapalua (Plantation)

2. We Ko Pa (Saguaro)

3. Conway Farms GC

4. University of Michigan GC

5. Rustic Canyon GC

Honorable Mention: We Ko Pa (Cholla), Arroyo Trabuco GC, Manchester CC, Hapuna GC

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

1. Pacific Dunes

2. Bandon Dunes

3. Bandon Trails (didn't get the chance to play Old Mac, why it's not on the list)

4. Commonground GC, Denver

5. Palouse Ridge, Pullman, WA (could play it forever)

Hope to play for 2019:

1. Old Mac (just back to Bandon in general)

2. Sand Valley

3. Mammoth Dunes

4. Chambers Bay

Gamble Sands

I didn't get a chance to travel much this year, so all West Coast tracks:

1. Pasatiempo

2. Bayonet

3. Gold Mountain Olympic Course

4. Fircrest Country Club

5, La Purisma

I should have included Wine Valley in Walla Walla as #2 or #3. Very nice, tough course. No frills, muni-quality snack bar/restaurant, but what a course! I played 54 holes there in a tournament.

Callaway Mavrik 10.5* HZRDS 6.0 55g
Cobra BioCell 3w PXi S
Callaway Mavrik 20* Catalyst 65 5.5

Callaway Mavrik 5h 23* Catalyst 65 5.5
Titleist DCI 962 2-PW DG S300
Cleveland 588 54*, Callaway PM Grind 58*
Cameron Mil-Spec