Pickup trucks and golf bags

MtlJeff

If you are paying the price for a Tacoma do yourself a favor and just get a full size 1/2 ton pickup. Having owned a Tacoma (that did no offroading), a 3/4 ton, and now a 1/2 ton Ram there is no comparison in the utility. My Ram has fold flat system under the rear seats so that is where my golf clubs go - I put my bag, my son's bag, and both our clic gear push carts back there and off we go. It fits perfectly. Nothing gets tossed around. And, I have way more capacity than a tacoma ever will. I am a fan of Ram, but frankly, any of the big 3 are good at this point. Pick the one you like the best and have at it. People get way too caught up in resale value. They are depreciable assets. I got $12k off of my ram, so I paid $36k for a nicely equipped Ram. I see Tacomas for more than that and I shake my head. No way will I ever go back to a smaller truck.

Except if someone trade vehicles often, resale is absolutely a factor. If you’re keeping the vehicle for 10-15-20 years, then I agree, don’t worry about it.

Yeah ^^^ definitely.

Truthfully, i got my answer already on how to store bags, so we can just make this a truck thread LOL. But yeah i couldn't get a full size, they are just too massive for the city and for the parking spots we typically get here even in the crowded burbs in which i live. I don't need a full-size for what i want (just moving furniture and standard reno material) and i'd much rather the midsize ability to park and maneuver in normative places.

I was checking out the Ranger a bit online yesterday. The FX4 off-road seems to come with 18 inch wheels that are the right size to fit many different winter tire options. So that is nice. It also comes with some pretty hardcore offroad stuff and i'd have the option of normal winter tires.

The other thing i didn't mention is we take 1-2 trips a year into the mountains for Christmas and Spring Breaks. So the truck would also be nice if we got a snowstorm up there. The Ranger FX4 looks nice and is 5K cheaper here than the Taco or Canyon Denali

Are you sure you don’t want a wagon?

A Subaru Outback with a roof box and small utility trailer would do everything you want (except be cool); most of it better than a truck. A Volvo Cross Country would solve the cool problem.

Yeah ^^^ definitely.

Truthfully, i got my answer already on how to store bags, so we can just make this a truck thread LOL. But yeah i couldn't get a full size, they are just too massive for the city and for the parking spots we typically get here even in the crowded burbs in which i live. I don't need a full-size for what i want (just moving furniture and standard reno material) and i'd much rather the midsize ability to park and maneuver in normative places.

I was checking out the Ranger a bit online yesterday. The FX4 off-road seems to come with 18 inch wheels that are the right size to fit many different winter tire options. So that is nice. It also comes with some pretty hardcore offroad stuff and i'd have the option of normal winter tires.

The other thing i didn't mention is we take 1-2 trips a year into the mountains for Christmas and Spring Breaks. So the truck would also be nice if we got a snowstorm up there. The Ranger FX4 looks nice and is 5K cheaper here than the Taco or Canyon Denali

Are you sure you don’t want a wagon?

A Subaru Outback with a roof box and small utility trailer would do everything you want (except be cool); most of it better than a truck. A Volvo Cross Country would solve the cool problem.

Yeah I've definitely thought about that, have briefly looked at the new v60 cross country, and have driven all the Subarus at various points because they've always been on the radar.

I could definitely do that, it just depends on if I think we'll move again. Last time I had to move like 1500lbs of floor or whatever it was for our kitchen, and a lot of smaller SUV will have like a 1000 pound payload. Not to mention the challenges fitting tall stuff like desks or cabinets

You can rent trucks obviously so it's not like I HAVE to own one, but trucks are cool. So owning one would be fun. We'll see!

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Yeah ^^^ definitely.

Are you sure you don't want a wagon?

Yeah I've definitely thought about that, have briefly looked at the new v60 cross country, and have driven all the Subarus at various points because they've always been on the radar.

I could definitely do that, it just depends on if I think we'll move again. Last time I had to move like 1500lbs of floor or whatever it was for our kitchen, and a lot of smaller SUV will have like a 1000 pound payload. Not to mention the challenges fitting tall stuff like desks or cabinets

You can rent trucks obviously so it's not like I HAVE to own one, but trucks are cool. So owning one would be fun. We'll see!

Yeah, I get that. I went through a similar process last summer. Like you, I didn't need a truck but ultimately decided to get one, at least in part because Ihadn't owned one before and it seemed like it would be a fun change. For the most part it has been good, and the major drawbacks (fuel consumption and size) don't affect me too much because I don't drive to work and I live in a small suburb city. But if I was still living downtown in a big city, I doubt that I'd make the same decision.

On the other hand, my brother - who has owned many trucks and does more truck things than I ever will - got an Outback this time.

Someone mentioned it earlier, and I can’t believe I forgot about the Ridgeline. I had one and just before we closed out dealership a friend wanted to buy it. I’m still kicking myself that I sold it. That in bed storage is just perfect for clubs, put them in there and forget about it. They’re always with you and you don’t have to do anything special like take them out of the bed and put them in the cab when you’re parked somewhere. Just ideal to me. And the dual swinging tailgate is a bonus too.

But I agree Jeff, probably not as good looking as the Tacoma.

If you get a bed cover avoid the tri folds ones. The will end up leaking and it’s a PIA.

Next truck I am getting the fiberglass bed cover. FYI the mat does help keeping thing in place.

Mizuno jpx. 900 driver 661 stiff
Titleist 910 3H
Mizuno JPX 825 4-gw project X 5.0
Hogan Apex GW 50 bent to 52
Mizuno ,jpx 58 sw
Odyssey o works Tank 1
Ball , Srixon zstar or zstar vx

I've been eyeing a Ram with the RamBox. There are videos showing that they can fit a golf bag with a little room left for shoes/balls, etc.

The Ridgeline has nice storage too, but if there's anything else in the bed it it might not be accessible.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead
WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

That’s interesting, we only had one Ram on the lot with those side storage areas. Looking at them I wouldn’t have even attempted to put my bag in there.

The older models had smaller compartments, but they made them bigger around 2017 (I think) then even bigger for the 2019's, so the newer models can fit golf clubs.

WITB: PXG 0311 ~ Ping Anser 4w @16.5 ~ Cobra F6 Baffler @18.5 ~ Titleist T300 4-P ~ Titleist Vokey 48, 54, 58 ~ Cleveland HB 8

That’s interesting, we only had one Ram on the lot with those side storage areas. Looking at them I wouldn’t have even attempted to put my bag in there.

The older models had smaller compartments, but they made them bigger around 2017 (I think) so the newer models can fit golf clubs.

Thanks, that would explain it, I think the one we had was a 16. Dodged just don’t sell as well in our area.

The older models had smaller compartments, but they made them bigger around 2017 (I think) so the newer models can fit golf clubs.

Thanks, that would explain it, I think the one we had was a 16. Dodged just don’t sell as well in our area.

I very rarely see one on the road with the cargo storage, which is crazy because every truck owner that I know struggles with storage. I think they can even fit a couple carry-on sized suitcases/duffels/backpacks on each side, so they address almost all of the reasons that I've never made a pickup my everyday vehicle.

There's a beautiful maroon 2019 about 30 minutes from me priced at about $35k... my car (Sonata hybrid) is paid off and only has 75k miles, but my daughter is almost 14 so she'll probably get my car. That'll put me in the market in about 2 years when I would hopefully be able to score one with low mileage in the low/mid $20k's.

If you need a truck, or just want a truck, get a truck. If you need a vehicle that's going to handle bad roads, that's not necessarily a truck. If you're just hauling clubs around, a Subaru is going to do as well as a F150 on bad roads If you're hauling clubs over dirt roads, maybe the truck makes better sense.

I don't have a truck, but when I golf with friends who have one, the clubs go in the back and they don't move around during normal driving. Some folks with a supercab just dump the clubs in the backseat like anyone with a sedan. Others have a cover on the bed and leave the clubs in there 24/7. Up to you.

If you need a truck, or just want a truck, get a truck. If you need a vehicle that's going to handle bad roads, that's not necessarily a truck. If you're just hauling clubs around, a Subaru is going to do as well as a F150 on bad roads If you're hauling clubs over dirt roads, maybe the truck makes better sense.

I don't have a truck, but when I golf with friends who have one, the clubs go in the back and they don't move around during normal driving. Some folks with a supercab just dump the clubs in the backseat like anyone with a sedan. Others have a cover on the bed and leave the clubs in there 24/7. Up to you.

Oh you don't need to sell me on Subarus haha....i've test driven basically every model and always consider them. I would venture a guess that they are better overall winter cars than trucks given the AWD platform and similar (8+ inch) ground clearance

That being said my reasons for wanting a truck are essentially: (in order)

1) They are cool

2) I do actually do a fair amount of moving heavy stuff around (reno materials and office furniture type things)

3) Our roads are garbage and sedans with low profile tires are a disaster here. You might as well have 2 spares in your car

4) We drive into the mountains a couple of times a winter and it's nice to have in case of a storm

5) Our winters are brutal on our roads, just this past week we got like 50cm in a day so you sometimes have to plow through snowbanks

Granted, 3-5 a Subaru would be just as good

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

Pretty simple question, i'm not in the market for another car quite yet ....But considering i move a lot of things, and our roads in Quebec are absolute dog crap, I've been considering getting a medium pickup (like a GMC Canyon or Tacoma).

What do you guys do that have them, just chuck the bags in the bed? Do they roll around a lot back there? Or are there some hacks to secure them to something?

When I had a Silverado I generally had the back seat bench stowed up against the back and had a nice flat floor for my dog and crate during hunting season and golf stuff during golf season. I don’t think they fold up like that anymore. But the golf bag fit nicely even with the bench down. Also had a hard, folding cover for the bed that locked when traveling and the rear seats were needed.

FYI my wife’s ‘19 Forester with 4 Hakkapeliitta dedicated snow tires is the best snow,slush, icy road vehicle I’ve ever had the pleasure to drive. Better on slippery roads than my Jeep Wrangler. Better than any of the large SUVs or pickups I had for all around winter and any of the front wheel drive cars. Still for outdoor stuff and rugged driving and not icy-ish roads, my Wrangler or another 4WD pickup would be my choice.

A qualifier, the tires that came standard on the Forester were total crap for some dicey winter storm conditions we had right after we bought it, so it’s still matching the right tires to the vehicle. First time I ever went the dedicated snow tire route, for more car than SUV (Subaru still SUV “light” to me) I’ll always do it from now on.

Pretty simple question, i'm not in the market for another car quite yet ....But considering i move a lot of things, and our roads in Quebec are absolute dog crap, I've been considering getting a medium pickup (like a GMC Canyon or Tacoma).

What do you guys do that have them, just chuck the bags in the bed? Do they roll around a lot back there? Or are there some hacks to secure them to something?

Depends on the truck and bag--- My old Dakota has a bed liner so I do not get any roll or bouncing around. I can set any of my bags from a mini staff to my Jones Classic in the passenger side if need be. Most of the Canyons and Tacomas I see now have a back seat area. I have always had pick ups even in my Corvette days--- I like it especially when I roll my half Rat Rod Dakota into one of the "upscale" courses in the area. If I catch some of the a**hats staring I drop the gate and say "anyone want to gamble?" That is where I get the saying from in my signature from "When the tailgate drops the BS stops". Yep it is the same Dakota in my Avatar picture and LOL that was 12 years ago. Yep still driving the same truck

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I can’t help you on what to do with the bag Jeff, but a piece of advice from someone in the business for a long time, buy the Tacoma.

I will have to agree with you on that on anything Toyota--- I bought a brand new Toyota 4wd in 81 and drove it until 2000. That thing caught hell between Volunteer Fireman duties and hauling dirt track race cars around. I put 300k on it and went through several starters and alternators with it and 1 clutch. I never changed the timing chain until 200K. Never went into the bottom end either. Of course I changed the oil every 5000 miles ( severe service criteria). Seriously the best truck I ever owned but that Dakota I am driving now is catching up have around 220K showing on it even though a few years back when I put in a timing chain I did drop the pan and install new rod and main bearings and a new oil pump.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

The Honda Ridgeline has a locking in-bed trunk. Also, the back seats fold up.

Absolutely love my Ridgeline, but a bag does not fit in the lockable trunk. It’s great for shoes, caps, balls, and extra clubs though. I have a cover so I’ll throw them in the bed if I’m headed straight to the course. Throw them in the back seat or floor if they need to be locked up. The window tint is dark enough to hide what’s in the back seat.

Absolutely love my Ridgeline, but a bag does not fit in the lockable trunk. It’s great for shoes, caps, balls, and extra clubs though. I have a cover so I’ll throw them in the bed if I’m headed straight to the course. Throw them in the back seat or floor if they need to be locked up. The window tint is dark enough to hide what’s in the back seat.

Do you have a new one? The 12 I had, the bag fit great. And my buddy who bought it never takes his out. Driver in the bad and all. Ample room.

Do you have a new one? The 12 I had, the bag fit great. And my buddy who bought it never takes his out. Driver in the bad and all. Ample room.

Maybe he has a tour bag? There are plenty of pictures online of golf bags in The Ridgeline’s trunk.

Maybe he has a tour bag? There are plenty of pictures online of golf bags in The Ridgeline’s trunk.

I don’t know, I know when I had mine I was thinking of constructing something to make two levels. A hinged “box” if you well. I was going to put shoes and stuff in there with the bag on top of it. There was ample room.

I actually saw a black edition today. It's really not that bad looking. But I think I mentioned earlier it's a decent difference if the Denali is 50k at 0 percent financing and Honda is same price at like 5%.

But who knows what it will be in 1-2 years

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

I’ve got a 17 and I’ll be damned but my clubs do fit. I have no idea why I was convinced they wouldn’t. Thanks for the heads up. Anyway, I’ve been driving for 34 years and this is my favorite vehicle I’ve owned. My wife surprised me on my 50th birthday with a black sport edition.

• 2 weeks later...

I have an F-150 with a tonneau cover (sorry about the spelling) and a toolbox. I can either throw them in the back if I have multiple people or just throw them on the floor on the back seat and they fit just fine. However, the turning radius is awful (2011 4 door with a 6.5 foot bed). My dad had a 2015 Tundra that was similarly equipped but was also much easier to park. I would suggest a Ram or a Tundra (I love my ford, but the price is so high I can't justify getting another one). Eventually a taco or canyon may feel a little crowded. I also use my pickup for work and need more space though.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

Jeff you need this, Be the envy of everyone when you mall crawl the local Tim Hortons.

2016_Tacoma_Stealth_1_large.jpg?v=1548804022

[twitter]oneputtblunder[/twitter]
10.5 Aeroburner TP Fujikura Speeder Pro XLR8
14.5 X2 Hot 3 Deep Tour Green
18* X2 Hot Pro Hybrid
RSI TP 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Byron Morgan DH89 Rincon Neck deep mill or Circa 62 No 2
Vokey 52/56/60 SM5/TVDK/TVDVgrind DG S300
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/175527-one-putts-road-to-redemption-bag-04262014/"]WITB Link[/url]