First trip to pinehurst - April 2019

Nice! Please check back in cdm after your trip, would love to get a recap of the courses you play

Another interesting issue I have come across in booking my travel: I am flying from San Diego, my guess is traditionally the easiest way to pinehurst is through Raleigh/Durham however there is no direct flight, the shortest total trip at the best time connects through Charlotte. How does the drive compare from Charlotte vs Durham? If it’s not terrible my thoughts might be that it Would it make sense for me to just fly to Charlotte instead and avoid my bag potentially getting lost in translation. Weirdly enough it’s more expensive to book a direct flight from San Diego to Charlotte than booking from San Diego to Raleigh/Durham in which you are going to be on the same exact flight that goes to Charlotte.

Zac will do once back.

As to flights appears none direct, but SD is a long way. Given drive difference VS lay over times its a coin toss. I use Southwest mainly and they have one stop flights that are 35 or 50 min layovers (ATL or DEN) into Raleigh. Given 1 hr drive vs 2 hr drive as has been noted prior ts does seem to be a "wash". Only good aspect is Southwest is 2 bags checked at not charge so might be an option price wise Ie: why I use them for reward points =)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lots of good advice above, I agree with most of it. Play #2 with a caddie if you can. I'm not as high on #6 as some are, I prefer #8 or #9. I think Tobacco Road is a blast, I adore MidPines, its my favorite in that area. Lower price, Talamore is good, MidSouth is a little better. I'm not a big fan of Legacy, its just OK in my book. Dormie Club is really nice, and could become private if their plans work out, you may want to play there while you still can. In a perfect world, I'd pick #2, and either Dormie or Tobacco Road. If you want a Donald Ross course, and can't fit #2 in, You can go to MidPines or Pine Needles and have a great time.

Food and drink "off campus" would include Pinehurst Brewing, Maxie's or Dugan's in the Village, Ironwood Cafe north just a bit on Midland Road, Sly Fox (English-style gastropub) in Southern Pines, maybe CharBar 7 kind of in-between the two. I imagine your package will have you in one of the Pinehurst Resort restaurants, they're all pretty good too.

Listen to this guy (not discounting anyone else but dave did me a solid)! I went this summer and what davep gave me for advice was spot on. I didnt get a chance to check out the brew pubs and the pinehurst brewing co was being built. #2 is a must play as #4 wasnt open, 6 and 8 were awesome, I enjoyed 8 more than 6, but I would say play 1 of the 2 just to get a different feel (these are off property a little ways). I regret not playing the cradle, but will do so next visit.

There was a little breakfast joint there that was great.

Take time to explore the clubhouse (so much memorabilia to look at), play thistle du (very cool), bring a credit card with a lot of credit for the pro shop...so much cool stuff in there.

This may be weird but check out the Harris Teeter Supermarket. Coolest Supermarket I've ever been in. They had a full bar, humidor. Heck if I lived there I'd do the shopping ALL the time LOL.

Cigar Humidor is the real deal at Harris Teeter.

Driver Srixon ZX7 10.5* Tensai Blue 44.5 inches
3W: ZX Fairway 15* Rogue 70s
Hybrids: ZX Hybrid 3/4 Smoke Black 6.0 
Irons: ZX5 4 iron, ZX7 5-PW, Modus 120 2* upright, + 1/2 inch S300
Wedges: 52* RTX ZipCore RAW, RTX Full Face Black Tour Satin 58* DG Spinner Wedge Flex
Putter: FrontLine Elevado 35 inches

-Agree that #2 is a must play. I'd say that even if it had never hosted a US Open...it's just great 1-18 Definitely walk with caddie rather than cart. It's an easy walk and the cart path is miles away from the center of the fairway.

-I'd skip the rest of the resort courses. There's more unique stuff offsite given that you're not from the area. They're really trying to pump up #4 as a top tier course but I disagree. I wouldn't fault you for playing it, but I think you can do better with limited rounds.

-If you can't do #2, then do Mid Pines. It doesn't have the width of playing angles that #2 does, but it's a stellar course.

-Tobacco Road is a must play for uniqueness. There are a handful of hate-able holes that I just can't get over, but I keep going back for the rest. Everything up through #11 is awesome while all the stinkers are clustered on the back 9.

-Glad to see people recommending Dormie. It gets a bad rap sometimes with people faulting it for its difficult birth, but there's a lot of good stuff here. Rather, it just didn't get the refinement that would make it world class. They just removed a bunch of trees including a ton on #8 so that it has a panorama view of the lake....changes are already in the works.

-Pine Needles is good, too, but I'd rather play Mid Pines every day of the week.

-If you need something closer to the airport, play the Duke course. It's an old RTJ course and has some good stuff going on. April may be a bad time to play it, though. It doesn't drain particularly well (especially the low-lying back 9), so it plays much better either in early winter (when it's dormant and firm) or later into June or so. UNC Finley is a little too white-bread to be worth it for someone out of town. I used to like State's Lonnie Poole, but I've soured over time. As opposed to the best Pinehurst area courses that challenge good players and don't punish the hackers, it's like shooting fish in a barrel if you're on but punishing if you're not.

Food:

-The brewery in Pinehurst has good BBQ

-For fancy food in the Triangle, Angus Barn next to the airport is good.

-For NC BBQ, the Pit is classic. Some people think it's sell-out BBQ, but it's the one that made me finally embrace Eastern NC style.

-For cheap eats next to the Duke course, Bullock's BBQ (RIP Tommy) and Cosmic Cantina will do you well.

Lodging:

I can't help you here. I just do round trips from my house to everything I've mentioned. We've got a baby, so you don't want to stay here.

theres some decent options with southwest, actually the cheapest and free checked bags(including clubs). none through Nashville but good options through MDW and HOU with enough of a layover where im not overly worried about my bag missing the connection but also where im not there all day. so I think im all set from that aspect. BBQ was going to be my next question, thanks for the tips nocarts83

Drive from Charlotte.

And for the love of golf, play No. 2 if it is financially feasible. It is a special experience, worth 5 rounds elsewhere and something you won’t soon forget. To me there are only so many courses like no. 2 in the world, and it would be a shame not to play it if you have the chance.

If you can sneak in another round, I think Dormie is better tha. Anything else Pinehurst has to offer. 8 is very good, but Dormie is more unique, memorable and fun.

TM M1 9.5* Kuro Kage XT70 X
TM M2 Deep 16.7* Kuro Kage XT80 X
PXG 0317 19* Kuro Kage 80HY TX
Mizuno MP64 4-PW C-Taper S
Vokey SM5 50-55-60 C-Taper S
Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Count me in the "playing #2 is a must" camp. Also a big fan of both Mid Pines and Pine Needles, with the edge going to MP. If you are a member of a private out in Cali, it's worth trying to get on Country Club of North Carolina (CCNC). I would put CCNC Dogwood and Mid-Pines in a tie right behind #2. Tobacco Road is in a different league. Truly a work of art.

Dormie is not worth the money...yet. It's fine, but by no means is it a must play. The others are worth it.

If you do end up playing #2 and decide to stretch it out, be ready to take your medicine. Those large greens don't require good shots - they require great shots. Play it and you will see.

Just got back from Pinehurst. Stayed in the Dornoch Cottage which was one of the coolest experiences of my life.

I have to say what they have done at Pinehurst in the last couple years is amazing. I've spend a lot of time there but had not been in about 2y and the vibe and feeling at the resort is 180* opposite of how it used to be. The best way I can describe it is u used to show up at the main golf shop and see older gentlemen playing lawn bowling. Now you show up and there is music playing from the rough of The Cradle where you have a bunch of people walking and playing with 4 clubs, having a drink and having a great time. Then you see a bunch of people putting on Thistle Du. They no longer require you to take a cart or caddy so you see people carrying their own bags. 4 is greatly improved and it sounds like other work will be happening on the other courses in the coming years. The Pinehurst Brewery is an amazing addition and they are starting to redo other properties. It's really nice to see the home of golf in the USA making such dramatic overall improvements.

I'm also one who thinks #2 is a must play. I'd put the new #4 as the second best at the resort and I really like Dormie.

Have a great time!

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

Where did they put the Cradle course? I was there a couple years ago and can only think of the large area in front of the clubhouse where the lawn bowling was. Also what was the rate for the Cradle? I always go down on a package and my wife trades off the golf for Spa and gift shop credits (Pinehurst is nice this way). If its reasonable she will play it. She doesn't think her game warrants paying the usual rates Pinehurst asks for the 18-hole courses.

Where did they put the Cradle course? I was there a couple years ago and can only think of the large area in front of the clubhouse where the lawn bowling was. Also what was the rate for the Cradle? I always go down on a package and my wife trades off the golf for Spa and gift shop credits (Pinehurst is nice this way). If its reasonable she will play it. She doesn't think her game warrants paying the usual rates Pinehurst asks for the 18-hole courses.

The lawn bowling and corquet areas are still in place. The Cradle is at the former site of the first holes on courses #3 and #5. This is the same area that was used as the driving range for the US Opens held at Pinehurst. If I remember right, the rate was around $50, and only Pinehurst guests and members could reserve times. Replays were free, but couldn't be booked ahead.

Nice! Please check back in cdm after your trip, would love to get a recap of the courses you play

Another interesting issue I have come across in booking my travel: I am flying from San Diego, my guess is traditionally the easiest way to pinehurst is through Raleigh/Durham however there is no direct flight, the shortest total trip at the best time connects through Charlotte. How does the drive compare from Charlotte vs Durham? If it’s not terrible my thoughts might be that it Would it make sense for me to just fly to Charlotte instead and avoid my bag potentially getting lost in translation. Weirdly enough it’s more expensive to book a direct flight from San Diego to Charlotte than booking from San Diego to Raleigh/Durham in which you are going to be on the same exact flight that goes to Charlotte.

I would just drive over from Charlotte. You would probably arrive sooner in Pinehurst than flying to Raleigh. This obviously depends on you layover time, runway backup, and traffic in CLT.

+1 on driving from Charlotte. It's really not that much longer a drive.

Thanks FREEgone I appreciate your advice and while 99% of the time I am a bang for your buck kind of guy I think this trip is going to be that 1% where I splurge. I’m only going to be in the area for 3 days 1 1/2 of which will be devoted to the event. Who knows when I’ll be back in the area again I think I would kick myself if I left without playing 2. Depending on the availability of a tee time I’ll keep mid and pine needles on my radar as well as 1. As a guy who plays mid tier courses with the rare high end round I don’t think I will be disappointed with any of the Pinehurst tracks or the handful of other courses in the area everyone’s mentioned. This trip can’t come soon enough.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a decent, cheaper hotel option nearby? I might save a few bucks by doing a night there instead of racking on an extra night at the resort

If you want quintessential Pinehurst, check out Pine Crest Inn for a place to crash. Otherwise, the chain hotels are pretty decent. Some even have thier own putting greens.

Cradle was $50 when I played it, you can reserve if you aren't a guest just has to be within 24 hours. Replays free, so much fun. Will never go to pinehurst and not spend at least 2-3 hours out there, especially if you have a fun group.

^^yup—but the price just went up to $60 recently still worth it as a non-resort guest if you can get around a couple times. I’m local and have played it three times. It helps to call ahead and make sure there isn’t some kind of event/outing to make sure your chances of getting out multiple times is increased.

Three of my most enjoyable rounds I’ve had in the last twelve months. My wife who is athletic but plays maybe 5 rounds a year swears if all courses were like the cradle she would play all the time.

Ping G25 @ 9degrees/TFC 189D stiff
Callaway XHot2 pro/13.5 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Titleist 913H/19 degrees/Aldila TG stiff
Ping s55/4-W/KBS Tour R+ [ .5 long]
Glide 50 w. Wrx grind
Vokey SM5 54-10/S grind
Vokey SM4 60-04
Scotty Cameron California Monterrey

• 1 month later...

so you have to stay at resort to get a time on #2? it looks like you have to call 24 hr in advance as a guest, which seems less than ideal if you're traveling all the way there.

#2 normally has spots open normally. Mainly as the price creates that aspect........ Everyone is saying #4 is great and at a lower price better to play. Looked sweet when we were out there 2 weeks ago.

so you have to stay at resort to get a time on #2? it looks like you have to call 24 hr in advance as a guest, which seems less than ideal if you're traveling all the way there.

This is a business, they want to motivate you to stay in their own hotels. That's pretty ideal from their end of the bargain.

When I went last April, I called on a Monday for a tee time on #2 for the upcoming Sunday. They didn't even hesitate to book my tee time and I wasn't staying at the resort. They do have "rules" but it doesn't hurt to call and ask. They can be very reasonable and accommodating.

Was there 2 weeks ago for a golf trip.

1. Def fly into Raleigh if you can. just an easier drive and almost no traffic

2. Ending the trip with Tobacco Road is recommended. I thought I would hate it (more a fan of traditional layouts), but I really enjoyed the experience. Would go back. The fairways aren't too difficult to target, but the greens are. Lots of tricky putts too

3. If you haven't played, then definitely try to play #2. Now that I played it twice, I'm not in a big rush to go back to play it again, but you definitely want to play it if you're going down there to pinehurst for the first time. DEF caddy up. Hopefully he helps you read those bermuda greens

4. Pinehurst Brewing Co is a must. To eat there, the wait can be a bit long (45-60 min), so try to budget that in. Enough space for people to wait at the bar for their dining table

5. Main pro shop is a real treat. Their putter covers are so money

Was there 2 weeks ago for a golf trip.

1. Def fly into Raleigh if you can. just an easier drive and almost no traffic

2. Ending the trip with Tobacco Road is recommended. I thought I would hate it (more a fan of traditional layouts), but I really enjoyed the experience. Would go back. The fairways aren't too difficult to target, but the greens are. Lots of tricky putts too

3. If you haven't played, then definitely try to play #2. Now that I played it twice, I'm not in a big rush to go back to play it again, but you definitely want to play it if you're going down there to pinehurst for the first time. DEF caddy up. Hopefully he helps you read those bermuda greens

4. Pinehurst Brewing Co is a must. To eat there, the wait can be a bit long (45-60 min), so try to budget that in. Enough space for people to wait at the bar for their dining table

5. Main pro shop is a real treat. Their putter covers are so money

The No.4 knitted putter covers are awesome...!