eBay now taking out TAXES....?

golfhoopie

If Ebay would eliminate the selling of new items then taxes should not be required at that point as the government is double dipping. If i buy an item new I pay the sales tax on the item. If you buy a video game for $50 pay $3.00 in sales tax it should be covered at that point. If the game was resold 50 times for the same price the government should be able to make $300 off the same item?

> @davep043 said:

> > @TmagBryce said:

> > So if i understand, eBay now takes, 10% final value, PayPal get their 3.5%, and now they take out taxes?

>

> Maybe I'm out of the loop, I don't buy on eBay, but I'm reading that you are upset that eBay is in business to make money, that PayPal is in business to make money, and that the state governments are making sure that the sales tax that is legally owed is actually collected and paid. I suppose the option is to rummage through used-club bins and visit yard sales, always paying cash.

Except they are collecting tax on used items. This notion that sales tax is due on used items where tax was already paid once, is an entirely new type of government pocket fishing. If I sell a used club to my buddy, am I responsible to collect sales tax and send it to the FTB?

> @Krt22 said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @TmagBryce said:

> > > So if i understand, eBay now takes, 10% final value, PayPal get their 3.5%, and now they take out taxes?

> >

> > Maybe I'm out of the loop, I don't buy on eBay, but I'm reading that you are upset that eBay is in business to make money, that PayPal is in business to make money, and that the state governments are making sure that the sales tax that is legally owed is actually collected and paid. I suppose the option is to rummage through used-club bins and visit yard sales, always paying cash.

>

> Except they are collecting tax on used items. This notion that sales tax is due on used items where tax was already paid once, is an entirely new type of government pocket fishing. If I sell a used club to my buddy, am I responsible to collect sales tax and send it to the FTB?

Taxes have always been charged on used items purchased from a non-internet based business. For example, used cars from a dealer, used sporting goods from Play It Again Sports, etc. Whether or not taxes should be collected and paid for transactions between 2 private parties is beyond my expertise. I do believe there is a 'use' tax or something like that when a car sale occurs between 2 private parties.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @brew4eagle said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @TmagBryce said:

> > > > So if i understand, eBay now takes, 10% final value, PayPal get their 3.5%, and now they take out taxes?

> > >

> > > Maybe I'm out of the loop, I don't buy on eBay, but I'm reading that you are upset that eBay is in business to make money, that PayPal is in business to make money, and that the state governments are making sure that the sales tax that is legally owed is actually collected and paid. I suppose the option is to rummage through used-club bins and visit yard sales, always paying cash.

> >

> > Except they are collecting tax on used items. This notion that sales tax is due on used items where tax was already paid once, is an entirely new type of government pocket fishing. If I sell a used club to my buddy, am I responsible to collect sales tax and send it to the FTB?

>

> Taxes have always been charged on used items purchased from a non-internet based business. For example, used cars from a dealer, used sporting goods from Play It Again Sports, etc. Whether or not taxes should be collected and paid for transactions between 2 private parties is beyond my expertise. I do believe there is a 'use' tax or something like that when a car sale occurs between 2 private parties.

CA collects on any used car , regardless of where it comes from. Play it again I can 100% understand as it's a retail establishment and they are profiting on those sales. Collection of sales taxes on used goods between two private parties is absurd IMO.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @TmagBryce said:

> > > So if i understand, eBay now takes, 10% final value, PayPal get their 3.5%, and now they take out taxes?

> >

> > Maybe I'm out of the loop, I don't buy on eBay, but I'm reading that you are upset that eBay is in business to make money, that PayPal is in business to make money, and that the state governments are making sure that the sales tax that is legally owed is actually collected and paid. I suppose the option is to rummage through used-club bins and visit yard sales, always paying cash.

>

> Except they are collecting tax on used items. This notion that sales tax is due on used items where tax was already paid once, is an entirely new type of government pocket fishing. If I sell a used club to my buddy, am I responsible to collect sales tax and send it to the FTB?

It is not entirely new, it is like that on cars. You have claim taxes on a used car. Lets say you bought a $50k car, pay tax on the $50k. Sell the car for $30k in a couple years, that person also pays tax on $30k and if they sell it in a few years and so on and so on. I don't understand it one bit and don't like it for that matter!

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

> @Krt22 said:

> > @brew4eagle said:

> > Taxes have always been charged on used items purchased from a non-internet based business. For example, used cars from a dealer, used sporting goods from Play It Again Sports, etc. Whether or not taxes should be collected and paid for transactions between 2 private parties is beyond my expertise. I do believe there is a 'use' tax or something like that when a car sale occurs between 2 private parties.

>

> CA collects on any used car , regardless of where it comes from. Play it again I can 100% understand as it's a retail establishment and they are profiting on those sales. Collection of sales taxes on used goods between two private parties is absurd IMO.

If you don't like the law that requires sales tax to be charged, the right thing to do is to work to change that law. I think its unreasonable to vilify eBay because they comply with the law.

• Like 1

> @davep043 said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @brew4eagle said:

> > > Taxes have always been charged on used items purchased from a non-internet based business. For example, used cars from a dealer, used sporting goods from Play It Again Sports, etc. Whether or not taxes should be collected and paid for transactions between 2 private parties is beyond my expertise. I do believe there is a 'use' tax or something like that when a car sale occurs between 2 private parties.

> >

> > CA collects on any used car , regardless of where it comes from. Play it again I can 100% understand as it's a retail establishment and they are profiting on those sales. Collection of sales taxes on used goods between two private parties is absurd IMO.

>

> If you don't like the law that requires sales tax to be charged, the right thing to do is to work to change that law. I think its unreasonable to vilify eBay because they comply with the law.

I am not vilifying ebay, I am vilifying the lawmakers that made the law. IMO getting law makers to undo new revenue generating measures is next to impossible, so I will just rabble rabble rabble and shake my fist. =)

• Like 1

> @Krt22 said:

> > @davep043 said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > @brew4eagle said:

> > > > Taxes have always been charged on used items purchased from a non-internet based business. For example, used cars from a dealer, used sporting goods from Play It Again Sports, etc. Whether or not taxes should be collected and paid for transactions between 2 private parties is beyond my expertise. I do believe there is a 'use' tax or something like that when a car sale occurs between 2 private parties.

> > >

> > > CA collects on any used car , regardless of where it comes from. Play it again I can 100% understand as it's a retail establishment and they are profiting on those sales. Collection of sales taxes on used goods between two private parties is absurd IMO.

> >

> > If you don't like the law that requires sales tax to be charged, the right thing to do is to work to change that law. I think its unreasonable to vilify eBay because they comply with the law.

>

> I am not vilifying ebay, I am vilifying the lawmakers that made the law. IMO getting law makers to undo new revenue generating measures is next to impossible, so I will just rabble rabble rabble and shake my fist. =)

I feel your pain Krt22. But getting a legislature - any legislature much less California's - to change or repeal a law that generates the kind of revenue it does is difficult to impossible. I don't want to derail this into a political discussion except to say that as a lifelong Californian until 2017 (and I'm 56) our solution was simply to leave the state, not just for reasons stated in this thread but other political reasons that we felt made the state progressively more unliveable.

Mizuno ST Max 230 10.5* - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 15/18 - LinQ Red 6F4

Mizuno ST Max 230 22 - LinQ Blue 75F4

Mizuno JPX 923 Tour 5-P  DG120 S300

Vokey SM9 50/54/60 - DGS200

Mizuno M-Craft II

CSX   

> @"the bishop" said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @davep043 said:

> > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > @brew4eagle said:

> > > > > Taxes have always been charged on used items purchased from a non-internet based business. For example, used cars from a dealer, used sporting goods from Play It Again Sports, etc. Whether or not taxes should be collected and paid for transactions between 2 private parties is beyond my expertise. I do believe there is a 'use' tax or something like that when a car sale occurs between 2 private parties.

> > > >

> > > > CA collects on any used car , regardless of where it comes from. Play it again I can 100% understand as it's a retail establishment and they are profiting on those sales. Collection of sales taxes on used goods between two private parties is absurd IMO.

> > >

> > > If you don't like the law that requires sales tax to be charged, the right thing to do is to work to change that law. I think its unreasonable to vilify eBay because they comply with the law.

> >

> > I am not vilifying ebay, I am vilifying the lawmakers that made the law. IMO getting law makers to undo new revenue generating measures is next to impossible, so I will just rabble rabble rabble and shake my fist. =)

>

> I feel your pain Krt22. But getting a legislature - any legislature much less California's - to change or repeal a law that generates the kind of revenue it does is difficult to impossible. I don't want to derail this into a political discussion except to say that as a lifelong Californian until 2017 (and I'm 56) our solution was simply to leave the state, not just for reasons stated in this thread but other political reasons that we felt made the state progressively more

This is not the forum for this type of discussion (Reddit or one of the political based boards may be more appropriate). Many people use this forum as an entertaining escape from stuff like this, let’s please keep it that way :)

As stated early I do not agree with the new policy but from my point of view this is only hurting sellers. I know I now take into account the sales tax in the final price and thus am max bidding 6% less to account for the tax. Less money for the seller. I’m sure not everyone approaches it like this, but I’m sure a lot are.

Driver: Cobra Darkspeed X 9* Tensei 1K Black 65TX

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 13.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Fairway:  Ping G430 Max 19.5* Tour 2.0 Black 75X

Irons:  PXG 0317 CB 5-GW KBS Tour 130X

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 54S Modus 125W

Wedge: Ping Glide 4.0 58S Modus 125W

Putter: LAB Link.1

Ball: Titleist Pro V1

> @jblough99 said:

> As stated early I do not agree with the new policy but from my point of view this is only hurting sellers. I know I now take into account the sales tax in the final price and thus am max bidding 6% less to account for the tax. Less money for the seller. I’m sure not everyone approaches it like this, but I’m sure a lot are.

correct i got burnt on a couple right when it switched but now I also figured the 6.5% sales tax into my offers/bids. So yup less money for sellers

Titleist TSR2 10° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 15° HZRDUS T1100

Titleist TSR3 19° KBS Tour Hybrid Proto

PXG Gen5T 4-GW KBS Tour Stiff

Mizuno T24 56 & 60 S400

Piretti GOAT

> @jblough99 said:

> As stated early I do not agree with the **new policy** but from my point of view this is only hurting sellers. I know I now take into account the sales tax in the final price and thus am max bidding 6% less to account for the tax. Less money for the seller. I’m sure not everyone approaches it like this, but I’m sure a lot are.

And as others have stated earlier, this isn't a "policy", this is eBay doing what they are legally required to do. I'm sure its possible that some sales will dry up, or money paid to the sellers will decrease a bit, but its hard to blame eBay for complying with the law.

Yup I bought a set of irons the other day and was hit with about 60 in tax, I was not expecting that, I did win the auction, so F me.

Titleist TSR 3 9.0 Ventus TR Black 6S
Titleist TSI 3 15 Ventus Velocore black 7S
Titleist TSI 19 Ventus Velocore 85X
Titleist T100s 5-P Modus 105
Tileist T100s 49 SM8 5812
2020 Scotty Cameron NP2 LaGolf

2022 Scotty Cameron X 7.5 Stability Tour
Titleist Pro V1X
Dos Equis Lager
Balls deep, Boom

> @grm24 said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > You are right, the OP should be updated to ebay is now collecting sales/use tax on behalf of local municipalities due to new legislature. **I will be using ebay even less now.**

>

> It's not just Ebay. Better get used to it when purchasing on-line.

Nothing more to get used to, eBay is the only place I buy used goods from.

> @Krt22 said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > You are right, the OP should be updated to ebay is now collecting sales/use tax on behalf of local municipalities due to new legislature. **I will be using ebay even less now.**

> >

> > It's not just Ebay. Better get used to it when purchasing on-line.

>

> Nothing more to get used to, eBay is the only place I buy used goods from.

eBay won't miss you. Funny how may people here have had 20+ years of paying literally no sales tax for anything (new or used) on the internet and are so far ahead of the game money/savings wise with tax free purchases but when on line commerce is required by law to collect sales tax people get so upset, bothered, offended over it they complain they won't buy anything from certain sites. So predictable.

> @grm24 said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > You are right, the OP should be updated to ebay is now collecting sales/use tax on behalf of local municipalities due to new legislature. **I will be using ebay even less now.**

> > >

> > > It's not just Ebay. Better get used to it when purchasing on-line.

> >

> > Nothing more to get used to, eBay is the only place I buy used goods from.

>

> eBay won't miss you. Funny how may people here have had 20+ years of paying literally no sales tax for anything (new or used) on the internet and are so far ahead of the game money/savings wise with tax free purchases but when on line commerce is required by law to collect sales tax people get so upset, bothered, offended over it they complain they won't buy anything from certain sites. So predictable.

Ok boomer

> @coachlefty said:

> Ugg Ebay.. gritting teeth.. maybe sideline swap will gain some internet traction . Fees are lower all the way around. For now...hum

https://help.sidelineswap.com/en/articles/3104708-sales-tax-on-sidelineswap

But sideline swap will also be collecting sales tax.

FWIW, I haven't seen the ebay taxes really impacting deals. I've still scored some great prices on new equipment lately, and I've still sold a few things for much more than bst. Just have to keep it in mind when looking for an item and adjust accordingly.

• Like 1

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

> @Krt22 said:

> > @grm24 said:

> > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > You are right, the OP should be updated to ebay is now collecting sales/use tax on behalf of local municipalities due to new legislature. **I will be using ebay even less now.**

> > > >

> > > > It's not just Ebay. Better get used to it when purchasing on-line.

> > >

> > > Nothing more to get used to, eBay is the only place I buy used goods from.

> >

> > eBay won't miss you. Funny how may people here have had 20+ years of paying literally no sales tax for anything (new or used) on the internet and are so far ahead of the game money/savings wise with tax free purchases but when on line commerce is required by law to collect sales tax people get so upset, bothered, offended over it they complain they won't buy anything from certain sites. So predictable.

>

> Ok boomer

>

Sorry you don't appreciate facts. But great work with that well thought out reasoned reply. You should be proud of yourself.

> @grm24 said:

> > @Krt22 said:

> > > @grm24 said:

> > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > @grm24 said:

> > > > > > @Krt22 said:

> > > > > > You are right, the OP should be updated to ebay is now collecting sales/use tax on behalf of local municipalities due to new legislature. **I will be using ebay even less now.**

> > > > >

> > > > > It's not just Ebay. Better get used to it when purchasing on-line.

> > > >

> > > > Nothing more to get used to, eBay is the only place I buy used goods from.

> > >

> > > eBay won't miss you. Funny how may people here have had 20+ years of paying literally no sales tax for anything (new or used) on the internet and are so far ahead of the game money/savings wise with tax free purchases but when on line commerce is required by law to collect sales tax people get so upset, bothered, offended over it they complain they won't buy anything from certain sites. So predictable.

> >

> > Ok boomer

> >

>

> Sorry you don't appreciate facts. But great work with that well thought out reasoned reply. You should be proud of yourself.

A well thought out reply is not only against forum rules, but also a waste of time on a statist boomer.

I'm also under the impression you are personally attacking me since I didn't want to join you in the GGE witch hunt, so in no way am I trying to indulge such frivolous efforts.

> @andrue said:

> Tax evasion is a terrible thing.

>

> (trying to keep a straight face.)

Lol. Yep.

Nothing like a little a little government sponsored extortion at gun point ( literally ). The costumed “ men “will come to get you and cage you if you don’t pay.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

#PoliticsWRX

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest