5 Wood

DJGolfer001

PING G25 is still a great 5 wood. No need to upgrade for me.

PING G400 Max 10.5° GD YS Nano Reloaded 6X                                            

TaylorMade SIM2 Max 16.5° 3HL Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 70 X                                                       

Callaway V-Series 19° 5 wood Mitsubishi Diamana Kai'Li 80 S                                                         

PING G410 22°, 26° & 30° Hybrids KBS Steel Hybrid Shaft X                                               

Adams A4 Forged 7-PW Dynamic Gold AMT X100 D4                                                                        

Cleveland CBX 50°, 55° Dynamic Gold S400

Cleveland CBX Full Face 60° Dynamic Gold Tour Spinner

Odyssey 2-Ball Blade w/Triple Trac

Vice Pro Plus Lime

Thanks, I hope (and suspect) you are right. It arrived yesterday so at least I got to unwrap it. The head seems quite big compared to the g30 in terms of footprint, and it's definitely wider, but still a reasonably shallow face. That's what I like in a fairway club, so hopefully I can hit the darned thing. First impression of the matte black is that it looks way richer and more 'classy' than it looked to me in photos, so I'm good with the look. It seems to sit more closed at neutral than the G30 does, but I'm going to open it up and de-loft anyway, so this shouldn't matter in practice.

I put the Cobra F9 5 wood in the bag because of the ability to adjust the lie angle upright to where I needed it. I ordered it with a HZRDUS Black Smoke 70 to match my 3 wood. Also jacked it up to 20*. For my swing, (105-107 driver S.P.), it flies 215 yards. At the stock 18.5* it could be that 230 club. Very straight, but movable when I need to.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik

4 Wood: PXG Gen 5

7 Wood: PXG Gen 5 

Irons: Cleveland ZipCore XL (5-AW)
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 4 ZipCore  (54, 58)
Putter: Toulon Memphis

Save the price debate for a different thread.

PXG Proto +, 10.5 turned to 9; Ventus 
PXG Gen4 3 metal ; Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4  5 metal;  Tensei Blue
PXG Gen4 hybrid; 21 degrees
PXG Gen4 Ps; 5-Gap with Nippon 950gh S
PXG Sugar Daddy wedges; 54 and 58; Nippon 950gh S

PXG 38” counter balanced, PXG Mustang

Titleist Pro V1x

• 1 month later...

That depends on your swingspeed, angle of attack and just plain confidence looking at the loft at address etc. I haven't hit the G30 but read that it was harder to elevate than the later models. I played the G25 (16.5° 4 wood) , G (17.5° 5 wood) , G400 (SFT 16° 3 wood), and current G410 17.5° 5 wood. I think the 17.5 head and 42.5" shaft in the Ping G series and forward is a great way to go. You can try it a 16.5°, but the "loft change" only works if you return it to square, otherwise it's just a face angle/directional change. I really liked (needed) to have my G series 5w (and 7w) opened a to the large minus for direction; I was pushing some with the G410 5W at the open setting.

I just added a 3 wood shaft as an experiment to my G410 17.5° head. So it's really like a 4w at the square loft setting. Senior. Slow swinger. Just one range session and one round in but early indications are that it is great. High and straight, easy to hit, a bit longer than at stock length. A surprise to me was that I didn't notice any swingweight issues with the longer shaft, though it was a tad softer in the tip, which was ok. I purchased a 4g weight to use instead of the 7g the 5w came with to help any SW issues. But the few shots I tried with the lighter weight on the range felt tinny and were short and low.

Not anymore. The Epic Flash 3 hybrid has the same loft with a shorter shaft and gets the same distance for me. Actually allowed me to add a wedge.

Driver: Callaway Paradym 9 set to 10 Draw

3W Callaway  Epic Flash

5w Callaway Epic Flash
Hybrids: 4-5 Epic Flash    
               6-7 Big Bertha 

7 Ping G430 played as an 8 

Irons: PXG Gen4 XP 9-GW

Wedges: PXG 0311 52 56 degree Forged

Putter: Odyssey Rossie Pro 2.0 

I would consider looking at CPO for an Epic Flash 5 wood. I have the 3 wood and I'm incredibly impressed. Flies long and straight, and works well off the tee, off the deck, from the second cut. I bought it to replace my much less forgiving R11s, and it's turned out to be a high performing and forgiving replacement. I've been considering a 5w lately, and I think the epic flash is the route I would personally go.

Just bought my wife a G400 5 wood to replace her 3H, and that's a really nice club. Also really easy to hit, tee or off the deck. Ping always comes out with high quality forgiving clubs, so it's hard to overlook that brand. Haven't tried the 410, I'm sure it's amazing.

Cobra makes high quality clubs and you can find previous models for an excellent price. I don't have their fw's, but do have their hybrids and the rail system works really well. People seem to speak pretty highly of their fw's.

The quality of fairway woods that have been produced in the last 5 years is pretty amazing.

I too found 14.5 to be a bit strong for me to elevate. Is launch your only concern or other aspects of contact? I found an 18° 5w, put it in the bag and really honed a fairway wood swing with it. Then I bought the 3w from the same line at 15° and viola, suddenly I could crush that from tee or deck.

As such, I recommend starting with the 18° and working up to lower lofts, although 16.5 might do the trick if you are sweeping and getting solid contact from the 14.5 and are just unhappy with the flight.

I'm really enjoying my Callaway XR16 pro 5 wood at 18*. The head shape is very similar to the Epic Flash SZ I have in 3w which make sense when you see the ball flight. The Speeder tour stiff shaft is awesome as well, sort of a soft x flex or stiff +. It controls spin really well. The headsize is tiny, 138cc I think, which lets it glide through the rough like a hybrid because it's damn near the size of a 'super hybrid'. Very niche club but can be had for a lot less than many new models.

I have

TS2 18 degree

SIM Max 18 degree

PING G410 17.5 degree.

SIM is the longest, just a plain rocket.

PING flies the highest

TS is slightly lower flight than the G410

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Contact is probably the biggest issue, really. But when I do it strike it well, its a low weak ball. Just over all not confident with that club. Can hit it on the range but really struggle with any lie on the fairway or rough. Hit a buddy's epic that was a 5 wood loft and it was night and day. Again, that was at the range so practice and maybe a more user friendly loft would be good for me.

Then yeah I'd go 5w because it worked so well for me. If you can get the 5 wood rocking and develop confidence, the 3w becomes just a bigger, longer 5w with the same swing basics. It was crazy for me after 2-3 months of 3 wood being a tee-only club and working 5 wood going down to the range one day and could suddenly hit the 3w. (And I swear, before this the 3 wood had a 10% success rate at best off the deck, now it's like 10% failure) Another tip I read on here is going back in time to the 2008-2010 model years are higher spinning and can help with launch and forgiveness.

Rocketballz has a higher swingweight, more upright and not as low profile as Pings. If you are already hitting the club low on the face it might not be a good option.

No one on here knows your swing. There already are a lot of model suggestions in this same thread for clubs. The real answer is to get fit and/or lessons. You have hit the Epic and liked it at least on the range. Maybe ask your buddy if you can hit a few during course time. If you like it, you could look at Callaway Prepwned for any deal price. Global Golf also has a playability try option.