Blade users thread (NO DEBATING CLUBHEADS! NO Buy Sell Trade!)

Bigmean

Decided to move from Apex MB to the new Wilson Staff Models, very excited to get them hopefully this week! Been playing a bit since the UK were allowed to play golf, strike isn't 100% there yet, but a bit more time and hopefully a shaft change in the new Wilsons will help me out a bit!!

• Like 2

Taylormade Sim2/ Ventus Blue 
Taylormade Sim2 Ti/ Tour DI
Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58
Bettinardi BB0 Tour Hive/ Stability Tour Black Edition
Full bag here

What shaft change are you trying?

I have been playing TI S400 in a set of Apex MB’s. But recently got fitted For Modus 120 X. So scooped in some Srixon irons with the fitted shaft. Combo set z785/Zforged. The shaft worked very well over the weekend.

Those Wilson irons look amazing

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

I played S400 for years, but my ball flight has always been lower and penetrating. When I got the Apex MB I got a silly deal on something they had in stock (silly I know) and those had KBS Tour V in them, which felt nice actually, but ball flight didnt go up much and at the time I was getting very steep on the ball, so I had a low ball flight but with tons of spin! Wasn't the best combo really! The Callys did me very well up till now, but for the cost of changing shafts in them (I am not a club fitter, so the cost to send them to someone to do etc.) was too much really compared to shifting them on and buying the Wilsons. I went and got fit for these properly and ended up finding the standard KBS Tour shaft worked a million times better for me, higher ball flight and just the right amount of spin (I think it was around 6500rpm for the 7 iron, versus the 8-9000 RPM I was getting off the Callys with tour v)

Taylormade Sim2/ Ventus Blue 
Taylormade Sim2 Ti/ Tour DI
Titleist 818H2/ Tour AD
Mizuno MP20 HMB 4 Iron
Wilson Staff Model 5-PW
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58
Bettinardi BB0 Tour Hive/ Stability Tour Black Edition
Full bag here

There's IQ then there's body IQ. Digging dirt allows a quieter place to connect the cognizant to the machine code of body. Playing adds another layer where the game takes center stage. I struggle with the duopoly of that, of staying aware, in the moment to both. Playing more would do much here, for last several years life dictated, a dozen to 15 rounds a year. Hope I can get more in this shortened season.

• Like 1

I recently sold some irons I had no intentions of ever using again, no sooner than selling them, I found this 2-P set all wrapped up in their factory wrappers. Price was great, so I bought them. The polished chrome to me looks horrendous on golf clubs, so I took the set to work today to do a 40psi glass bead blast to dull that chrome a bit. Started with the 2i, really happy how it turned out. Fitting this set with Nippon Modus 120s at standard length, ½" increments and going to MOI match them later this week. Pretty good looking little blade. Placed next to the 3i.

20200527-062320.jpg

• Like 3

[b][color=#8b4513]Wyoming[/color] [color=#ffd700]Cowboys[/color][/b]

@Kingcat990 whatchutalkinbout wrt polished chrome? It's like suntan lotion on a bikini model body. Glistening!
That's a beautiful set with either look. Can't wait to see the final product and how they feel and play.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Ditto! The new Staff blades make me just want to keep playing. They are hard to put down.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

@No_Catchy_Nickname This was the evolution, I played S400 (132gram) for half a dozen years, Then tried X100 (very straight and solid feeling, but couldn't carry the ball far enough to get above winds)
Then i took a chance and tried the TI S400 120g on the Apex Mb's, Took a minute to get used too. but after I shoved some nerf rods down the shafts to give them a little more thick feel. (mental probably) I really started to like them. Very easy to swing even at the end of a long hot golf round. I was bored and took the Mizuno swing DNA thing at my local shop. The shaft if optimized for me was the Modus 120 X, So when i found a set that i liked already with those shafts.. I took the plunge. So it has been a transition to lighter shafts for me with the irons. I can actually notice that with the longer irons, it is much easier to stay in my positions at the end of golf rounds. and not feel like i am throwing the club at it.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

Same thing happened to me going to lighter NS Pro 850s from 950s. And yeah you notice it most in the longer irons even though all your irons get lighter.

That's one of the drawbacks of matching SW. Although by definition this makes the club MOI as it rotates near your wrists all the same across your irons, it has the drawback of making your longer irons progressively heavier because now the MOI as the clubhead rotates about the body is higher in the longer irons because they are relatively and literally longer.

You can match SW, or you can match total swing MOI as the clubhead rotates around the body, but you can't match both. ?

Registered Bladeocrat

I played a round a few days ago. It was at a course I go to regularly, but from the back tees this time. I was thinking it would be from the regular tees, and planned to play persimmon and blades, but took along my modern woods just in case. When my mate said we were were going off the back tees, and immediately swapped in my modern woods and was damned glad I did. From the back tees, it plays at nearly 7,000, and there's a lot of elevation difference. Not really a round of distinction, but I took a few photos as it was a nice day.

From the back tees, the stretch of holes from 2 to 5 is probably the hardest. Hole one is a 550 par 5 that's pretty flat; playing wind behind it was not a huge problem. Hole 2 is a par three a shade over 200 yards with OB tight left. The green is not very wide, but has a lot of depth and is tiered. Pin at the back that day, so playing more like 210+ yards Picture below.

second-hole-from-tee.jpg

Hole 3 is the hardest on the course, probably because of the tight drive. 422 yards, with a downhill tee shot but OB all the way up the left, and trouble right (the hills jutting out on the left are treated as one-shot penalty hazards. I drove straight into one. The uphill shot to the green is also pretty tricky.

third-hole-teeshot.jpg

Hole 4 is a 450+ yard beast into the wind, and slightly uphill. Hole 5 is only just over 400 yards, but uphill all the way, though it was playing wind behind. Actually hit one of my best iron shots there, a 7i off a steep, tight downhill lie (I was on a hump) to get over a small tree about 10 yards in front of me. Caught it perfectly, but ball clipped one of the top branches and ended up a few yards short of the green. Great pitch to a tough pin position on the top tier, but completely misread the putt for par.

The last hole on the course is pretty nice, hitting towards the sea (which generally means its into the wind.

last-hole-from-white-tees.jpgI needed to bring my A game, but unfortunately I brought my D. Some good shots (some very good shots), but not enough and the bad shots were abysmal. Tee shots varied from pretty good to WTF, more good than bad, though. Irons were the opposite, more bad than good, although I started and ended pretty well with them. Chipping was weird. I thought I hit my chips well, but couldn't get the distance right all day. I guess that's down to lack of practice.

Best shot was on a 60 yard shot out of a bunker --third on a short par 4-- that had to flirt with water. Picked it clean and got it to 5-foot, then made the tricky downhill right-to-left putt for par.

mizuno-agnc-irons-in-the-bag.jpg

• Like 4

image0000001-12.jpg

image0000001-13.jpg

image0000001-14.jpgSo Christen_The_Sloop tipped me off about these on Buyee. I won the auction dirt cheap, however since Japan Post was shutdown I just said okay to DHL and that ended up being anything but cheap,lol. The heads are used but were taken care of nicely, very little chatter and faces are clean. Shafts are of senior variety. Big difference between 31CX & 41 CX is head length. 31's are an 1/8" longer than boxier 41's. The bag in all it's tacky glory is what I desired too. Gonna clean it up and leave in my office with appropriate Maru's in them. Playing tomorrow, looking forward to it. Cheers.

• Like 2

@No_Catchy_Nickname that's a sweet looking course but even sweeter looking set of blades. I am just noticing the Masters stamping on them. Very nice.
My round today started with just small showers but as the day went by the rain increased. By the 18th hole it was pouring. But I didn't care because I was playing well all around and it was a great day with just the wife and I in the group. She shot a great 51 (for her) over nine and then walked the final nine with me. I shot 38-40 which is awesome for me. Highlight of the day was a 20 yd hole out from a bunker for birdie. My second birdie of the day. The first one was from sticking a 150yd six iron inside 10' then making the putt. I also made a 40' bomb putt for a par. I'm starting to get my golf fire back. My swing feels better than ever and my short game is finally returning to normal. I haven't felt this good about golf in a long time. And of course I have to mention my BBs flat out performed again but that's to be expected being blades and all. ?
  • Like 1

Registered Bladeocrat

@Nard_S that's one tacky AF bag. The bad "for professional" English just cracks me up. You can just hear it with a strong Japanese accent. And adorned with a beautiful set of Maruman blades it goes good in any golf nut's office or man cave. ???

Registered Bladeocrat

Nard_S

Nice looking irons. They appear to be in great condition. And C_T_S has a knack for finding bargains on buyee/yahoo auc. The bag is interesting. I see is has the JAL logo on it, which surprised me. Is there a player's name on the bag at all.

The ANGC/Mizuno connection goes back to the mid-eighties, I think. The last edition of ANGC-related Mizuno irons I have seen was a set that came out in 2000, but I have seen a post on here that says the connection was never formerly dissolved! Some of the Augusta Mizuno editions are rather clunky looking CBs, but there are some nice blades as well. I rang up Mizuno to ask about these, and was told they're either from 1987 or 1994 (think I remembered the years correctly). I got them reshafted with S400 at 1/2" over standard Mizuno lengths, and they are a great set to play. They go to 11, with the 11i being 54* (well, that's what I bent it to; I think it was supposed to be stronger), then there is a SW which I don't like so I put in my RAM TW custom grind SW, which is a fantastic wedge.

Good round, by the way, especially bearing in mind the conditions. As I grew up playing golf in the UK, I don't mind some rain, in fact I quite like playing in a light rain, but not so much when it pours.

• Like 1

Corporate gift sounds the most likely. JAL's colours have, for as long as I can remember, been mostly white with a splash of red. I don't think any airline anywhere has been brave enough to go with a dirty Teal and off-white livery....

I should add that I actually love the bag in a "it's so bad it's good" kind of way. I would take that to the course without a second thought.

@No_Catchy_Nickname @Nard_S I am surprised those are Mizunos with that design. It's more akin to Mac VIPs.@Nard_S if you are going to rock that bag, do it right and put one of those gaudy $1500 Maruman drivers in it too. ?

Registered Bladeocrat

It seems to have been the Mizuno road. Mizuno's iron designs for their first several models were based off MacGregor designs.

And in the case of the MP-14 / MP-29 / TN-87, following MacGregor having followed the Hogan Precision (a mention for our Hoganista brothers/sisters)

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Those Marumans look pretty nice. Nothing like a nice set of those. I won't comment about the bag (though, I will say it's not as bad as the auction pics).

Glad a lot of you are getting out to play, too. I have a game later today with my father in law. I'm hoping we zoom through and then go for some sushi or something... Because it's back to work on Tuesday. I don't remember the last time I went to the office.

80 shots. Left the hybrid 22 and the Seve one iron (thinking lightning probably isn't gonna strike for a little while after last game) in the trunk and replaced them with a TMB 20 degree with a Modus 125X. On the front side I used it off the tee. Striped it 4/5 times. Unfortunately the one miss had me reloading. Still, made bogey on the hole. Worst shot was a s#$%$#ed 7 iron layup on the 8th. Straight OB. Just before that I was pleased with how I was trusting my swing. Played two over par the rest of the way after that, so that was nice. Coming down the stretch I gave myself a lot of good looks for birdie (4) unfortunately I could only convert the one.

Best shot came after I had a bad break in a green side bunker. The ball was about 4-5 inches from the left edge of the bunker and the pin was on the opposite side 30 yards or so away. I could just get a little sand before the ball. The ball came out hot, so I was over the green. There was a big slope from back to front and I managed to just get it started and it ran right in for par. That was probably the turning point in the round as I birdied the next par 5 after almost pitching in again for eagle.

Feel like I am a few putts and a few swings away from some decent golf. Lots and lots of solid strikes and leaving myself in good positions off the tee for a change.

242650b3-a73f-4655-baa2-923218a3cfda.jpeg

f0be83ab-f4a6-4f98-a6b0-acdda0e9b1e5.jpegHad some fun on the range earlier trying to find my new blade.

Not sure if I found a winner from these two, Wilson was set up more to my liking at 2* flat, Mizuno definitely felt softer but the Wilson was long and surprisingly forgiving.

Further testing will take place over the next couple of days, missing from this test but very much still in the hunt is the Callaway Apex MB.

A good time for blades!

Driver = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max-D 

3 wood = Callaway Smoke-Ai Max HL

3 Hybrid = Tour Edge Exotics C722
Irons = 4-PW Miura KM 700
Gap Wedge = Miura HB 50*

Sand Wedge = Taylormade MG2 56*

Putter = LAB DF3

Ball = TP5x pix / Bridgestone Tour B-X