2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What bag set-up makes you take notice?

Mitchell

[quote name='tjard13' timestamp='1392265845' post='8657439']
Typical Legit Scratch Players:

1.The guy you see putting on his dirty white Footjoys who has the most dramatic sock tan you've ever seen

2.Has his old, sweat stained Atlanta Braves hat on backwards

3.The only warm up routine he has is a yawn, neck crack, then begins to dribble his Pro V1 off his old 588 wedge

4.WITB is:newer driver, old sketchy wood (usually only a 3 wood), forged irons, 2 rusty Cleveland wedges, and a Scotty putter that is so clean you could eat off it

5.Talks about fishing and muscle cars ... Acts like he doesn't give a s*** about golf even though he's -2 through the front 9

6.And most importantly! He is probably that guy who smells like Wild Turkey and a gas station cigar who hits on all the 9th grade golf players' moms when they come pickup them up at 5pm from their "lessons"
[/quote]lol, good one!

People have mostly hit the nail on the head with their comments, I've played with a ton of D1 golfers (and briefly walked on as one as well) but the one thing I'd say that is the most consistent way to pick out a good golfer based on their bag is an old putter. Older and more beat up that putter is that just means it has experience and they've never been mad enough at it to break it. I've been beat in matchplay by a guy using a old 2-ball putter (when it was about 8 years old) that played at KU and same with a guy using probably the first TM belly putter ever made (played at MU), and my golf high school golf coach still putts with an Odyssey Dual Force something, and he just turned 50 and is still one of the best sticks I know.

Funny story, I was playing a practice round for the Missouri Amateur with a couple of buddies at Boone Valley in STL and we get behind this tall skinny guy with a bucket hat on and a fancy bag full of Fourteen (the brand) clubs. None of us have any idea who this guy is and we were snidely making comments and he gets up on 1 and kinda donks one out there and goes about his day. Well two days and rounds later come to find out this guy has shot some where in the range of even par for the two days on the hardest course I've ever played and won the qualifier (I shot somewhere in the mid 170's and tried my heart out). So needless to say, he had the bag and the game to back it up!

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1392215840' post='8651447']
[quote name='Twitch12' timestamp='1392161268' post='8647505']
[quote name='playa' timestamp='1392155693' post='8646751']
[quote name='Forged4ever1' timestamp='1392144584' post='8645299']
[quote name='Jon H' timestamp='1391976868' post='8630565']
There is a guy in my league that has one of those Medicus (sp?) driver training aides in his bag, FIVE ALIGNMENT RODS IN HIS BAG and a Darth Vader head cover.

I am not afraid of him.
[/quote]LMAO, First, please excuse me for taking editorial liberties with your post, LMAO, it's just that I had to reread it when I saw FIVE ALIGNMENT RODS IN HIS BAG, LMAO.

I got this thing about all these guys running around with the rods, when most of em couldn't get their alignment right if they took an address position in a 3' wide chute ;)

What in Heaven's name would you use FIVE alignment rods for?

Has anyone ever asked him?

What's his cap, LMAO?

Thanx, cuz I missed the FIVE the first time through.

I'm in IV's now and I just busted out laughing and the nurse looked over.

They already think that I'm a little off, lol.

Have a good day :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard
[/quote]
Alignment rods are certainly the flavor of the month with low cap wannabes. They usually accompany Scotty putters and blades.
[/quote]

I assume you constantly lose money to "low cap wannabes" that have alignment rods? My handicap does vary from 0-5 depending on the time of year, I do carry two alignment rods and I play a mixed set that includes blades. That being said, I use them for range work and it has paid off. If consistantly competing and placing in local, regional and state amateur events means I am a "low cap wannabee" then, I am proud to be one.
[/quote]
Although not sure why you would think I would call a guy who plays to your stated standard a wannabe. You need to lose the paranoia.
[/quote]+1 Bro, thanks :)

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Nothing really new to add about the clubs but the deep tan all over except for the left hand (which is a white as a white thing!) is almost always a giveaway also to someone you should not play for money. The other sign of someone not to play for money is the person who has been a member of the club for 30+ years! I once, when a student, played with 3 members who had been members 70 years, 60 years and 60 years respectively (I kid you not!). They were obviously not young and could not hit it very far but anyone who can hit it 150+ yards and chip and putt like these 3 should be avoided at all costs in money matches!

Anything old that goes with a score under par. Yesterday, working at the golf course, a lady comes by and her playing partner are talking. She's about 45 years old playing from the men's tees. The partner, an older guy, shoots 2 over and loses!!!! She scores 1 under from the mens tees with a set of clubs that had to be at least 10 years old.

Stop the ho'ing, stop believing the only way to score or get better is to buy the latest and greatest. This lady WILL kick your a** and make you feel bad about it with her old set of clubs !!!

[quote name='chirotennis' timestamp='1392087253' post='8641393']
[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1392006246' post='8634203']
[quote name='Twitch12' timestamp='1391999800' post='8633479']
I try not to judge a player by what's in his bag, instead by how he plays the first hole. I once played a high school match against a guy that was wearing cowboy boots and he was their #2 player. His team had 4 players and I'm not sure any of them had ever played before. After the second hole, (he made a 12 on #1) he told me to just mark him down for a double digit score and he would watch me play to verify my score. Probably the most enjoyable match of my life. He was even nice enough to share his pint of Jack and can of Copenhagen with me. He eventually told me the only reason he was on the golf team was because it was the sport that allowed you to miss the most school. I will never forget that day.
[/quote]

I try not to judge other players as long as they keep up and play honestly, but I'm not sure how I'd react to a guy playing in shi+ kickers. I've played a wide range of courses since the mid 1980s. The next one I see that allows cowboy boots will be the first.
[/quote]
You've obviously never seen the Anderson bean boots with the special golf soles! Awesome!
[/quote]

That seems like bunch of random words thrown together.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

And not just clubs but some clothes/accessories/actions make me take notice: bucket hats, old weathered Titleist hats, some white FJ Icons that are mostly brown from having them for so long (be extra scared if they don't tie them), anyone that shows up in a head to toe rain suit when it's appropriate (they take playing serious enough to drop serious change on something they might wear 5 times a year), anyone that has a valuables bag that only consists of $1 and $5 for the purpose of gambling, personalized Player's Towels, not hitting any balls at the range, people that everyone at the club/course knows, guys that'll just "bum a few balls" from a buddy on the range before the round, anyone that can bounce a ball more than 20 times on a wedge...

These people terrify me and will most likely beat me.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1392327391' post='8662021']
You've obviously never seen the Anderson bean boots with the special golf soles! Awesome!
[/quote]

[/quote]

You'd think so, but they are awesome... When my boots are up to be resoled, you better believe it's gonna happen! Most comfortable shoes I've ever worn...

There's actually a pretty funny story about them, the guys from the factory in TX wear their boots everywhere. They went out to play golf and the super said they could only play in golf shoes. Well, they went back to the drawing board and a few weeks later came back wearing their new boots. The super was a little upset, but realized they had done what he said and let them go on!

Best part is they have plugs for the screw in ports so you can wear them off the course :)

Here ya go!

[attachment=2067729:Bean golf 2.jpg]
[attachment=2067731:Bean Golf boots.jpg]

A bad day on the course is better than
a good day at work!
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1525460-docs-trouble-makers-part-deux/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='MtlJeff' timestamp='1391981581' post='8631067']
If you're referring in your post to the article written for the site....here it is.....written by yours truly actually

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/49131/how-to-build-an-intimidating-bag-of-clubs/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...g-bag-of-clubs/[/url]
[/quote]

Holy crap...I took a lot of time and effort picking out the perfect poseur bag..and here you already did all of the work for me!

[quote name='tjard13' timestamp='1392265845' post='8657439']
Typical Legit Scratch Players:

1.The guy you see putting on his dirty white Footjoys who has the most dramatic sock tan you've ever seen

2.Has his old, sweat stained Atlanta Braves hat on backwards

3.The only warm up routine he has is a yawn, neck crack, then begins to dribble his Pro V1 off his old 588 wedge

4.WITB is:newer driver, old sketchy wood (usually only a 3 wood), forged irons, 2 rusty Cleveland wedges, and a Scotty putter that is so clean you could eat off it

5.Talks about fishing and muscle cars ... Acts like he doesn't give a s*** about golf even though he's -2 through the front 9

6.And most importantly! He is probably that guy who smells like Wild Turkey and a gas station cigar who hits on all the 9th grade golf players' moms when they come pickup them up at 5pm from their "lessons"
[/quote]

I think I better change some things up or I'll never get another money game. Sock tan, nasty hat, warm up and WITB are all ME....I even like to talk hunting and the don't give a s*** is all an act to try to keep the brain from interfering.

Ok, since I brought out the defensiveness in some of our better players, I thought that it only fitting that I subject my self to their judgement and possible ridicule for my apparent hypocracy.

These are my stix-

They were $1.99 each at Home Depot, and yellow/white striped, however I've got all of this colored electrical tape(this isn't a poseur move, this is just a cheap @sshole cuz I use them on my putter grips cuz I like the feel, and well, the color, lol), so I matched it to my tourney bag.

My girlfriend thinks they look "pretty" and should remain, however I'm superstitious, into karma and all Of that other bull$hit, and besides, I've ripped em on this and another forum, and if I ever run into a member of that forum or a WRXer, and they were in my bag and I was on the course, well, I may be a lot of things, but a hypocrite's not one of em, lol.

Again, this isn't directed at those low caps/plus players with em in your bag, lol.

I still think that FIVE'S ridiculous and anything more than TWO should count as a club for every two thereafter ;)

Fairways & Greens My friends[attachment=2069133:image.jpg]

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

My vote is to watch out for a guy that has a minimal number of clubs. Usually these guys know what clubs they need and how to hit the shots they need in order to score well.

Its also a good exercise if you want to improve your game. I am trying this out in the spring and really looking forward to it.

Cobra Speedzone (8.0D) w/ Aldila Rogue 60x

Cobra Speedzone Big Tour 3 (13.5) w/ aldila Rogue 70x

Cobra Forged Tec Utility 2 (17.5) w/ $-Taper Lite X

Cobra CB/MB 4-PW w/ $-Taper Black X

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 50 degree V Grind w/ TT Tour Issue x100

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 54 degree V Grind w/ TT Tour Issue X100

Cobra MIM Black Wedge 58 degree WL Grind w/ TT Tour Issue S400

Odyssey Stroke Lab 1 Wide 34"

[quote name='student of the game' timestamp='1392408681' post='8669003']
My vote is to watch out for a guy that has a minimal number of clubs. Usually these guys know what clubs they need and how to hit the shots they need in order to score well.

Its also a good exercise if you want to improve your game. I am trying this out in the spring and really looking forward to it.
[/quote]

Probably one of my favorite things to do. Play the cheapest course around with a handful of clubs in the bag. So much FUN! and if you do it enough your feel becomes incredible.

[quote name='student of the game' timestamp='1392408681' post='8669003']
[/quote]A GREAT exercise!!

The Best with your experiences with it :)

Richard

Well, during the summer, I wear dirty white DryJoys and have a spectacular sock line... looks like I'm wearing mittens on my feet when I go to the pool... my left hand glows in the dark, I have a new-ish Cobra driver but an older steel-shafted 4W, I carry a variety of new and worn Vokeys to go with my older Callaway irons, my classy Wack-E putter has a worn out jumbo grip and my Titleist hat looks a mess. I'm the guys out there playing when it's 20F and snowing. I swing like a champ and will out-drive you with my 4W and will routinely shoot in the 60s. ...by the 12th hole. :russian_roulette: Turns out, I'm sponsored by Craigslist. Only been playing two years. For all I play though, I really ought to be better than I am. lol

SLDR 9.5 w/ Speeder 757
Titleist 904f 4W w/ S300
Ping G20 17* w/ Aldila RIP Alpha 85 2.0
Ping S56 5-9 w/ KBS Tour Stiff
Vokey 46, 52, 56 & 60
Ping WACK-E putter

[quote name='chirotennis' timestamp='1392330363' post='8662413']
[/quote]

[/quote]

You'd think so, but they are awesome... When my boots are up to be resoled, you better believe it's gonna happen! Most comfortable shoes I've ever worn...

There's actually a pretty funny story about them, the guys from the factory in TX wear their boots everywhere. They went out to play golf and the super said they could only play in golf shoes. Well, they went back to the drawing board and a few weeks later came back wearing their new boots. The super was a little upset, but realized they had done what he said and let them go on!

Best part is they have plugs for the screw in ports so you can wear them off the course :)

Here ya go!

[/quote]

How cool are those boots - how do we get some?

[quote name='Chip Out Sideways' timestamp='1392412289' post='8669419']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Here ya go!

[/quote]

[/quote]
Gotta go through Anderson bean... They have to be custom made or you have to have a pair of beans you want re-soled...

a good day at work!
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1525460-docs-trouble-makers-part-deux/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='chirotennis' timestamp='1392416713' post='8669837']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Here ya go!

[/quote]

[/quote]
Gotta go through Anderson bean... They have to be custom made or you have to have a pair of beans you want re-soled...
[/quote]

Thanks - my boots are Anderson Bean - I bought them when I lived in TX but I am now in Scotland! I could order but I think that might be overkill - I will stick with my FJ classics for the foreseeable future but if I have some money burning a hole in my pocket I might do this. Imagine the look I would get here!

[quote name='Chip Out Sideways' timestamp='1392468339' post='8672933']
[quote name='chirotennis' timestamp='1392416713' post='8669837']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Here ya go!

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Thanks - my boots are Anderson Bean - I bought them when I lived in TX but I am now in Scotland! I could order but I think that might be overkill - I will stick with my FJ classics for the foreseeable future but if I have some money burning a hole in my pocket I might do this. Imagine the look I would get here!
[/quote]
If I recall, it was about $90 to do the resole

a good day at work!

I am hardly a poseur, I am every bit a 14 handicap. And, although I have a Ping Hoofer and after market Cru head covers for my driver and 3 wood, I also play Ping G25 irons. Nobody will mistake [i][b]me[/b][/i] for a scratch golfer. However, I often play in a group of fellows which includes one gentleman about 80 years old. He stands about 6 foot 2 inches. A former major league pitcher who played in the 1950s. He carries his clubs in an ancient white Ping staff bag, which sags a bit with age. The bag contains a 10 year old driver, older 3 wood, very, very old irons (including a 2 iron, which he still hits) and a beat to hell brass Bullseye putter, given to him by a professional golfer over 50 years ago. He has the most fluid swing you can imagine. He stripes it down the fairway about 200 yards every time! While his short game has faded a bit, in his prime, I would never have bet against him. And rather than chase after ninth graders' moms, he is one of the most consummate gentlemen I have met. Beware the old man who hits everything straight and putts with an ancient Bullseye!

G410 Plus 10.5
X2 Hot 3 Wood
X2 Hot 5 Wood
G410 19, 22, and 26 degree hybrids
G25 6 - UW
Titleist Vokey Spin Mill 56.14
SC Futura X 33 "

When I see wear spots on the irons, I know what I am dealing with. Outside of that, a bag is tough to read. I see a lot of guys with bags that far exceed their ability. I used to be the guy that most people had NO idea what I wasn playing, all components and routinely had guys tell me they would love to see what I could do with "real" clubs. I.e. a brand they knew, I used to defend it, but I got to the point of just saying "I like these". Meanwhile, I'd beat them by 10 strokes and they were left wondering how they couldn't hit their TM driver of the day with my "knock off"... back to Golf Galaxy!

[/quote]

[/quote]

Here ya go!

[/quote]
Those wouldn't be allowed on any courses around here.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='J-Tizzle' timestamp='1392327661' post='8662049']
...anyone that can bounce a ball more than 20 times on a wedge...

These people terrify me and will most likely beat me.
[/quote]

Oh, come on. I can bounce it 20 times on the crown of my driver and I don't count myself as a player to be afraid of.

Hey chopper, what are you hitting there?
Callaway Rouge Sub Zero 9°
TM SLDR S 17° 4-wood
Mizuno MP Fli-Hi 21° driving iron

Dynacraft (?) 24° 4-iron
Titleist AP2 710 5-pw
Wilson FG Tour PMP 52, 56, 60­°
Rife 460 Tour Blade

After how long does being "out of form" turn into "a bad golfer"?

I havent read all the posts but I will chime in.

I have played with all the top players in my state. One of them has won the USGA Mid Am and played in the Masters. Some others have qualified for numerous USGA Events. I will say that not one of them plays blades. They all play a forged CB. Ap2, Callaway, Adams, you name it and if its a forged CB its in a bag somewhere. And all of them have stand bags as well. I notice weird things and notice that none of them have a clipped on towel. They all have a larger towel draped over the bag.

Most of the guys dont change equipment but about every couple years. Nothing is overly old in any of their bags and the putters seem to rotate fairly often. Except for one guy who toyed with another putter for about a month but other than that has had the same old ping pal in his bag for as long as I can remember.