2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

What bag set-up makes you take notice?

Mitchell

I've been whipped by guys with 15-year old sticks as well as guys with a bag full of clubs that came out last month...doesn't matter. I know it's easy to say that guys playing old, beat-up clubs are better than guys that stay up to date with their equipment, but looking around this site I see a million members who can play and do so with the best, new equipment out there. It's the archer not the arrow, but even the best archers know that newer, better arrows sometimes help them shoot straighter.

Titleist 913 D2 w/ Diamana D+72 White
Titleist 913 Fd w/ Diamana D+82 White
Titleist 913 H w/ Diamana S+82 Blue
Titleist 714 AP2 (4-AW) w/ Modus 3 120S
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar
Vokey SM5's (54F and 58K Black)
WITB Link

Several years ago I got suckered into a charity scramble with a guy I didn't know all too well. He told me he was an avid golfer and was always bringing up golf equipment to me when I saw him. On the day of the scramble he shows up with a brand new Callaway staff bag stuffed full with the latest, greatest set of Callaway clubs and gear from the driver to the tour ball at that time.

What I learned over the next 6 hours was that this individual was not able to hit a single shot capable of flying over 150 yards. Had this guy of played his own ball all day and played by the rules of the game, I would estimate he could not break 135 on anything resembling a golf course.

Since that day I've never given a second thought to what was in an opponent or partner's bag.

Ping 425 driver 10.5*

Ping 425 FWs 14.5* & 17.5*

Ping 425 hybrid 22*

Srixon ZX5 5 - PW

Sub 70 286 Forged wedges 48*, 54* & 58*

Piretti 303 Series Cottonwood II putter

If someone plays to my handicap or lower I will take a peek in their bag. If someone continually flushes their irons and I like the sound or flight of their shot I will take a look at their irons. If someone continually pops 300 yard drives down the fairway I will try to see what shaft they have in their driver.

However, the only time I was really interested in the makeup of someone’s bag was last spring when I tee’d off with an older gentleman and his wife. I looked over at the gentleman’s bag and it was Honma top to bottom. Driver, woods, irons, wedges, putter – the whole bag was Honma. (Even the bag was Honma!) I thought “Great, we are going to get mugged on the course because this poser has $7000 worth of clubs in his bag.” However, he proceeded to shoot 2 under par, and did so with little effort.

• M5 w/AD GP
    XR Pro w/AD BB
    Apex w/AD DI
    0311T 4 - PW w/PX LZ
    0311 50* 54* 58* w/PX LZ
    ER2

You know i never remember to look at my playing partners bags. I have very few if any ask about mine.

TM SIM2 Max 10.5 UST V 2 
TM SIM Max 15 UST V2 66g
TM Stealth HL 17 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
TM Stealth UDI 19 UST V2
TM Stealth UDI 23 UST v2 
TM P790 6-PW Nippon Modus 3 105
TM MG 3 Black 50 Nippon Modus Tour WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 54 Nippon Pro WV115
TM MG Hi-Toe 3 RAW Wedge 58 Nippon Pro Modus 105 T
TM TP Hydro Blast Bandon 3

[quote name='Jon H' timestamp='1391976868' post='8630565']
There is a guy in my league that has one of those Medicus (sp?) driver training aides in his bag, FIVE ALIGNMENT RODS IN HIS BAG and a Darth Vader head cover.

I am not afraid of him.
[/quote]LMAO, First, please excuse me for taking editorial liberties with your post, LMAO, it's just that I had to reread it when I saw FIVE ALIGNMENT RODS IN HIS BAG, LMAO.

I got this thing about all these guys running around with the rods, when most of em couldn't get their alignment right if they took an address position in a 3' wide chute ;)

What in Heaven's name would you use FIVE alignment rods for?

Has anyone ever asked him?

What's his cap, LMAO?

Thanx, cuz I missed the FIVE the first time through.

I'm in IV's now and I just busted out laughing and the nurse looked over.

They already think that I'm a little off, lol.

Have a good day :)

Fairways & Greens My Friend,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

I don't notice or even think of looking at their bag until the first swing. Their bag is that much more interesting to me after their swing so I can see what set up they built to go with that swing. I've been scared a few times when I was paired up with a guy playing nothing but blades and all geared up in golf brand clothing only to find out this will be a longggg day. I try not to pre-judge anymore. There have also been times where I was paired up with an old guy playing some old stuff and plays jaw-dropping good! There is one thing that makes me take notice and it's the consistent wear marks on their older model clubs

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

A bag with a bunch of pictures of Kate Upton on it would make me take notice.

Other than that, I don't give to much thought to the other guys/gals bag.

Of course, I am a "Over-the-counter strength" poser myself, so, there's that!

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

Yeah I like seeing guys that have clubs that look like they're old beat up pieces of junk that aren't fit for them and then see them go out and shoot the lights out. My dad was kind of like that. I only played with him a couple times when I was younger (he left around when I was a freshman in HS) but he was 6'5" about 280 lbs and had a standard length set of clubs and his swing was all arms to get around his beer gut but he killed the ball long and straight.

Titleist 915D2 10.5º - Diamana Blue 60 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro 4W 17º - Aldila Tour Green

Titleist 915H 20° - Diamana Blue 70 S
Cobra AMP Forged (4-PW) - KBS Tour S+
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°/54°/58° - TTDG Spinner Tour
Seemore Nashville mFGP Blade

I've never seen a good player carry a ball fisher.

Other than that, a towel that is stained only on one half is a pretty good indicator of game.

TSi3 9* RDX Smoke Black 6.5
M5 15* Kuro Kago Silver 75x
Rescue 11 18* Diamana D+ 90x
P790 4 S400
MP-20 MMC 5-PW S400
Vokey SM6 Black 52/56/60 S400
Newport Mil-Spec 350g / Byron 006 / Laguna Pro Platinum / White Hot RX #7 / Stroke Lab Double Wide Flowneck

[quote name='geesecougar2' timestamp='1392154870' post='8646641']

Other than that, a towel that is stained only on one half is a pretty good indicator of game.
[/quote]

I've seen really good players carry ball fishers! They're the really cheap guys that fish out balls while they wait for their playing partners to catch up :lol: They exist and they are usually smokers in their 60's.

- Ping G425 10.5*

- Ping G25 16.5*
- Srixon ZX7 w/ Aerotech Steelfiber i95s

- Miura Tour 51*/55*/59*
- Scotty Cameron Champions Choice Newport 2 Button Back
- Srixon Z Star

- Vessel lite

[quote name='tdelam' timestamp='1392155299' post='8646697']
[quote name='geesecougar2' timestamp='1392154870' post='8646641']

[/quote]

I've seen really good players carry ball fishers! They're the really cheap guys that fish out balls while they wait for their playing partners to catch up :lol: They exist and they are usually smokers in their 60's.
[/quote]Yeah, they're getting their used balls at the source for free and I'm paying lostgolfballs.com to do it for me. Jokes on me!

[quote name='Forged4ever1' timestamp='1392144584' post='8645299']
There is a guy in my league that has one of those Medicus (sp?) driver training aides in his bag, FIVE ALIGNMENT RODS IN HIS BAG and a Darth Vader head cover.

I am not afraid of him.
[/quote]LMAO, First, please excuse me for taking editorial liberties with your post, LMAO, it's just that I had to reread it when I saw FIVE ALIGNMENT RODS IN HIS BAG, LMAO.

I got this thing about all these guys running around with the rods, when most of em couldn't get their alignment right if they took an address position in a 3' wide chute ;)

What's his cap, LMAO?

Richard
[/quote]
Alignment rods are certainly the flavor of the month with low cap wannabes. They usually accompany Scotty putters and blades.

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1392155693' post='8646751']

I am not afraid of him.

What's his cap, LMAO?

Richard
[/quote]
Alignment rods are certainly the flavor of the month with low cap wannabes. They usually accompany Scotty putters and blades.
[/quote]You know....or they might actually help some of us with some of our clubs. I usually struggle with a consistent ball position with my hybrids. Having alightment sticks helps me set up in a consistent position on the range so that I can develop a muscle memory on where I need to be on the course.

I am not afraid of him.

What's his cap, LMAO?

Richard
[/quote]
[/quote]

I assume you constantly lose money to "low cap wannabes" that have alignment rods? My handicap does vary from 0-5 depending on the time of year, I do carry two alignment rods and I play a mixed set that includes blades. That being said, I use them for range work and it has paid off. If consistantly competing and placing in local, regional and state amateur events means I am a "low cap wannabee" then, I am proud to be one.

Ok, my intent was not to knock the use of rods/stix.

I too use them every time I'm on the practice tee.

My comment is not to those that use them as they were designed and benefit from said usage.

My comment was to those who, along with the Scotty & the 18° players hybrid(that they don't have a snow ball's chance in hell of hitting, LMAO) and the sunglasses resting on the back of their Playa's hat, stuff two rods in their bag-

I've got a collapsible pair and I bought a pair for $1.99 each at Home Depot & I dressed em up with colored electrical tape.

I just leave em in either my locker or SUV when not on the practice tee.

Apologies to those that took the heat-

Though I'd still like to know what in the hell someone would do with FIVE;)

And not counting marking the driveway-

That's brilliant, LMAO

And what in the hell was that Medicus club in there?

That counts as 1 of 14, LMAO

And yes, I also have the dual-hinge Medicus driver along with the weighted driver-

LMAO, I definitely don't stick those in the bag

Rock on :)

Fairways & Greens My Friends,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Older classics-- Titleist 983K driver, Callaway S2H2 irons, Cleveland TA3 form forged irons, etc.

Where I am from, the wealthiest people drive 20+ year old Volvos and have holes in their clothes... Anyone around here with new clothes and brand new German cars are usually their kids. Just like with gear on the golf course.

TM R7 425 9.5* driver
Cleveland Mashie+ M1 15.5* hybrid
Cleveland Mashie+ M3 20.5* hybrid
Titleist AP2 4-P irons
Callaway Forged 52* wedge
Callaway Jaws CC 58* wedge
Odyssey Black Series #6 putter

[quote name='Forged4ever1' timestamp='1391980825' post='8631005']
A funny story about my bag-

"Someone better've died of cancer for you to have a bag like that"

I'll remember those words as long as I live, LMFAO-

Back in 1998, I was headed to Charleston, WV, to play in a week-end Invitational with a good buddy from HS. I had had him up a few years before, and though family(they had a little girl) had interceded, he had invited me down. So I'm cruisin down 79S in my SUV with my clubs, shag bag(the original, well constructed bag, which I still have, though I hardly ever use it, lol) and my travel bag.

Well, about 40 minutes south of Morgantown my coolent light goes on, then smoke starts to seep out of the side of the hood and my temp guage went to red. I slowed down, pulled off on the burm, and stopped. I opened the hood, and when the smoke cleared, I saw that the hose had blown off of the radiator. As I had nothing to fix this with, I called AAA. Well, when I told em the vehicle make/model, they said a flatbed was needed and while they could send one down from Morgantown, all of the local stations, only had the older, regular trucks, so it would be an hour to an hour and a half.

Well, I had stopped by a field that had a fence, though parts of it were down. The first 20' or so was mowed, say 2nd cut length, then for as far as I could see to a tree line about 4-450 yards out, it was about knee high.

So I figured that I'd "donate" about 20 balls from my shag bag and pass the time. I was propping my third ball up when I heard the distinctive rumble of motorcycles, and I looked up and 6 guys went past me and two looked over at me and they kept going. Well, I had just hit my 6th ball when I happened to look up and one of the bikers was on the median, facing me, waiting to come across the highway.

I walked back through the fence to my bag as he pulled up. As I'm 6'2", and at the time 215lbs, when he kicked the stand down and got off the bike, I judged him to be 6'4", 250-260, slight paunch, though by no means an obese biker, lol. He had a denim vest on with no shirt underneath. He had what I took to be his initials stitched over his heart, "BB."

He had goggles on and seemed to be looking at me, then he looked down at my bag, then to his left, and spit some chaw juice(I chewed Copenhagen), though the wind caught it and it didn't get past his beard. He didn't seem to notice as he looked back at me.

His first words:

"Someone better've died of cancer for you to have a bag like that."

And he spit again, this time facing back down the highway and this time his wad cleared his beard, lol.

My response:

"She didn't die. She's beaten it twice and is still here(My Mother hadn't had her third bout, which she also won)."

He responded:

"Well, God Bless Her. Whatcha hittin?"

I handed him a 7i and he flipped it and looked at the number.

"Mind if I hit a few?"

"Not at all," I responded and we walked back through the fence, him in the lead.

On the back of his denim:

"Pagan's" on top, their logo in the middle and "M" "C" beneath it.

He propped a ball up and I was surprised that he handled the club like a "Player." It was light in his hands, in his fingers, and he moved the ball with ease with my club(Mizzy 14's). He took a few practice swings, then addressed the ball, and "swoosh," a beautiful high ball, probably 180-185 yards. I know, because my 7i was 172-175, and he was easy 10 yards past where mine had landed. He hit another, and though shorter, it was still 170-175.

He turned, handed the club to me and said, "hit a few."

So I did.

Same direction as his, more in line with his second ball distance-wise.

He dropped his goggles, put out his hand, and said, "My name's Big Balls, but you can call me BB, that's what my friends call me."

I introduced myself, then I asked him when he quit playin. He laughed and asked how I knew he ever played, and I just said that he had the swing of a player, a swing that very few golfers have.

He looked down the highway, south ways, and just said, not really to me, "Ah, that was a lifetime ago."

He then told that he was the son of a doctor, and he was the Junior Club Champ at a CC in Maryland, and his mother and father died in a car crash when he was 16yo, when they got hit head on by a drunk driver.

Though his grandparents took him in, and he spoke very highly of them, he said that he was bitter, angry and wanted to either die or kill someone. At 17yo, he bought a bike, hit the road, and never looked back.

Later Ed: Another thing that he told me that I neglected to include in my initial post is that he basically went from NYC to FLA on "club business." He would break away from his fellow Pagans 2-3 times/month to go to a range and hit a bucket or two of balls, to "get away and decompress."

Well, as he was finishing, one of the guys who was with him earlier had ridden back and was in the middle burm, waiting to cross over to us.

BB put out his hand and said, "Well, you take care Bro, and travel safe," and he turned to walk to his bike.

I stood there watching him, and he got on the bike and his last words prior to putting on his goggles,:

"You keep rockin that pink & God Bless your Mother."

And his last words to me:

"Fairways & Greens My Friend"

And his bike roared into the highway.

This is the first time that I've told this story, and yes, this is where my salutory sign off comes from.

However, as I watched him ride off, it hit me that we really didn't have that different of a child hood-

His father was a doctor-

So was mine.

He worshipped his mother-

So do I.

He was a Jr. Club Champion.

So was I.

He was dealt an incomprensibly tragic blow as a teenager.

I am blessed to still have my parents here.

Knowing myself and my personality, if things had been different, I could see myself riding off on that bike.

And as different as we and our worlds were, the common denominator was a golf club and a ball.

Back to the story, lol.

That's the only time someone's ever made a comment about my bag, lol.

Fairways & Greens My Friends
[/quote]

Wow. Just wow. That's Quentin Tarintino stuff! Nicely told.

PING Rapture ^10 driver

Callaway UW 19^

PING Anser Forged Irons 3-pw
PING Forged wedges
Wilson 8802 Putter

IMO best way to tell about someone's game at first sight is whether they go pound balls or go the putting/chipping green first or how long thy spend at each before a round, and as far as lookin at clubs look for marks on the face and if u can see the driver face and see if there are marks all over it sometimes drivers get nice ball marks

[quote name='BMC' timestamp='1392170976' post='8648743']
Wow. Just wow. That's Quentin Tarintino stuff! Nicely told.
[/quote]Thank You.

I sometimes wonder how he's doing, because obviously, his life style is not conducive to a normal life expectancy.

It was funny because as big as he was, and he had big hands that had dirt and grime on them, however he had very light hands, and the way that he handled the club was amazing.

My teacher always said that you could tell a lot about a player by how he handled a club and gripped it. Not so much strong vs. weak, though where in the hand/fingers that a person grips it.

I also detected a bit of remorse, possibly that if he could have a mulligan, he might have made some different decisions.

We talked more than I spoke of in the post, and he would be two years older than I today, so he'd be 55yo.

And when he told me his name, he didn't blink. Said it just as you or I would introduce ourselves. My Buddy, who's Invitation I was headed to, couldn't believe that I kept a straight face, however, trust me, if you've got a 6'4" 250-260lb Pagan standing in front of you and he says his name with a straight face, well, I told my Buddy that I was pretty confident that he would've reacted like I did, just as if BB had said is name was "Bill," lol.

Well, thank you for taking the time to read it.

Have a great season

My Best,
Richard

As leaving snack bar at course late yesterday, after a quick nine ,with turkey club and diet mountain dew in hand ,overheard one teenage player say to another, "can't believe we got crushed by that old guy with BROWN clubs, guess we gotta eat Taco Bell, now!" As I walked toward car, noticed a large Samoan guy, early 30s maximum , putting a Ping hoofer bag in back of his truck that appeared to contain a 1-lw set of BeCu Eye2 irons. As I drove away grinning, this came to mind-"Perspective and experience are wonderful things to gain, provided cost due to lack of both is not more than you can bear"- Mark Twain

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

[quote name='Twitch12' timestamp='1392161268' post='8647505']

I am not afraid of him.

What's his cap, LMAO?

Richard
[/quote]
[/quote]

I assume you constantly lose money to "low cap wannabes" that have alignment rods? My handicap does vary from 0-5 depending on the time of year, I do carry two alignment rods and I play a mixed set that includes blades. That being said, I use them for range work and it has paid off. If consistantly competing and placing in local, regional and state amateur events means I am a "low cap wannabee" then, I am proud to be one.
[/quote]
I was talking about high single to low double digit guys who carry them on the course to let everyone know they are the real deal, despite rarely seeing them on the range. And who invariably carry blades and Scottys they can't use. I wasn't trying to tar legit low caps who genuinely use them with the same brush, apologies if it came out that way. Although not sure why you would think I would call a guy who plays to your stated standard a wannabe. You need to lose the paranoia.

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1392215840' post='8651447']
[quote name='Twitch12' timestamp='1392161268' post='8647505']
[/quote]

[/quote]
I was talking about high single to low double digit guys who carry them on the course to let everyone know they are the real deal, despite rarely seeing them on the range. And who invariably carry blades and Scottys they can't use. I wasn't trying to tar legit low caps who genuinely use them with the same brush, apologies if it came out that way. Although not sure why you would think I would call a guy who plays to your stated standard a wannabe. You need to lose the paranoia.
[/quote]

So at what stage during the round do you decide the player is a legit low cap and not tar him with that same terrible brush?
And what happens if there is a double-bogey, bogey finish regardless of what came before?
Is that an imposter/wannabee that almost slipped past your steely gaze and avoided your contempt? ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Typical Legit Scratch Players:

1.The guy you see putting on his dirty white Footjoys who has the most dramatic sock tan you've ever seen

2.Has his old, sweat stained Atlanta Braves hat on backwards

3.The only warm up routine he has is a yawn, neck crack, then begins to dribble his Pro V1 off his old 588 wedge

4.WITB is:newer driver, old sketchy wood (usually only a 3 wood), forged irons, 2 rusty Cleveland wedges, and a Scotty putter that is so clean you could eat off it

5.Talks about fishing and muscle cars ... Acts like he doesn't give a s*** about golf even though he's -2 through the front 9

6.And most importantly! He is probably that guy who smells like Wild Turkey and a gas station cigar who hits on all the 9th grade golf players' moms when they come pickup them up at 5pm from their "lessons"

ST-Z 220 D
TS2 3W

TSR2 7W

T150 4i

T100 5i-GW
SM9 Wedges
Phantom X 5

[quote name='Forged4ever1' timestamp='1391980825' post='8631005']
A funny story about my bag-

"Someone better've died of cancer for you to have a bag like that"

I'll remember those words as long as I live, LMFAO-

.............cut.............

Fairways & Greens My Friends
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing this beautiful stories. I enjoyed reading it.

You were right. We are here as different as we and our worlds were and the only common denominator is our love of golf.

Fairway & Greens My Friends :)