2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Olympic Golf - I've got a beef (thread)

lumberman2462

The Powers That Be are always gonna run things however they want....one of the benefits of being a Power That Be.

But there should be a qualifying tournament for at least one spot on the team.

I'm serious. Dozens on Regional Events narrowing it down to one big final National Qualifier for just one spot.

I don't care how much time it takes or whether it interferes with whatever.

It's the Olympics....we need a for real live possibility - however remote - for a Tin Cup or Francis Ouimet moment.

The End.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1393332917' post='8740570']
The Powers That Be are always gonna run things however they want....one of the benefits of being a Power That Be.

I'm serious. Dozens on Regional Events narrowing it down to one big final National Qualifier for just one spot.

It's the Olympics....we need a for real live possibility - however remote - for a Tin Cup or Francis Ouimet moment.

The End.
[/quote]
I agree, I would like to see them pull the team from the top ranking college players or USGA amateurs with a PGA pro as team captain.

Ping G400 Max AD DI 6
Exotics JX1 3 wood Fuji air speeder
Exotics EX10 3,4 Hybrid AD DI 50
Mizuno JPX 850 Nippon pro zelos
Yururi Gekku Raw 49,53,57 KBS Hi-Rev 2.0/Ping Anser 50,54,58 DG Spinner
Too many putters
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1099099-updated-rat-cave-its-done-maybe/"]WITB Link[/url]

The End.
[/quote]

I've never agreed more with a post on this forum. I was disappointed to learn I would not have even a chance to try.

Chris Herrbach

Director of Golf - American Heroes Foundation

WITB:
Driver: Ping G430 LST 
3 Wood: Taylormade SIM Titanium @14.25* 
Hybrid: PING G425
Irons: PING i230 4-PW 
Wedges: GW - PING Glide 3.0 50, SW Mizuno T22 54*, LW Indi TT 60*
Putter: LAB Golf LINK with Stability Tour Black shaft.

[quote name='ping rat' timestamp='1393333281' post='8740596']

The End.
[/quote]
I agree, I would like to see them pull the team from the top ranking college players or USGA amateurs with a PGA pro as team captain.
[/quote]

Well, I can understand the sentiment...but since the rest of the world is gonna send their best Pros -- [i]and I still want the US to win[/i] -- I guess we have to line up Phil, Tiger, Whoever and my mythical qualifier.

I just want one spot available....and it would be a household name of top 15 OWGRs American that won...but he'd of earned his way in beating me and another 17,000 hopefuls.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

I totally agree with this. I also feel the same way about my other favorite sports baseball and hockey. I believe that the Olympics should be the best amateur players from every country, whether that be college athletes or whomever. Pros have their stage and times to shine, let the Joes get a chance to play for their flag and country.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1299464-bruinspatsirish-witb-march-2016-taylormade-adams-bettinardi-tee/page__p__13143444#entry13143444"]bruinsPATSirish WITB![/url]
Callaway EPIC 10.5* Tour Issue Speeder 757 X
Callaway EPIC 3 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
Callaway EPIC 5 Wood Diamana Kail'i 80 X
TaylorMade RSi TP Irons w/ Project X 6.5
Callaway MackDaddy FORGED 52/56/60 DG TI S200
Bettinardi BB8 DASS TriSole

Does anyone even watch the Olympics anymore? I know I sure don't. It's just horrible nowadays. But not because of the fact that pros are going. You are suppose to send the very best you have. When they decided to not let pros in that was their big mistake. Now that they changed it back everyone thinks that they should take non pros only. The Olympics is for the very best and very best only. But the Olympics are just a political show nowadays. More goes into picking the site than actually hosting the games. Oh well. Just how I feel anyway.

Personally, i don't like the current idea of olympic golf. It just seems like another typical tournament. They should have changed up the format, had some sort of team aspect to it, and have some system for amateurs to qualify for the teams.

Honestly, i probably won't even watch because it doesn't seem very interesting. This has been the general concensus from most of my playing partners as well. Unfortunately, I think golf will not be in the olympics for more than 2 times.

PXG Black Ops Tour driver 

PXG g5 3 wood

PXG Black Ops 17* hybrid

TaylorMade Qi10 5 wood

TaylorMade P770 4-9 KBS Tour

TaylorMade MG4 46/52/58wedges

Bettinardi BB1 putter

The End.
[/quote]

You do have a chance to qualify. Get into top 10 in the world rankings and BOOM - you're on the team.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1393352864' post='8742668']

The End.
[/quote]

You do have a chance to qualify. Get into top 10 in the world rankings and BOOM - you're on the team.
[/quote]

Thanks. . . I'll get right on that next week.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

Since PGA Tour players are our best players, of course they should go. However, I think there should be a chance for a non PGA Tour player to make it as well.

Winner of the US Open gets a spot? Highest finishing non-PGA Tour player from the US Open? Highest finishing US Open contender that doesn't already have an olympic spot?

Ping G25 w/ RIP Phenom
Adams Super LS Hybrid 17*
Adams SS Super Hybrid 19*
i20 4-UW
Taylormade TM-110
Cleveland CG14 56 & 60

[quote name='lumberman2462' timestamp='1393354413' post='8742838']

The End.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You got the same chances of getting in the top 10 as you would winning the qualifying tournament.

Driver #1: Callaway Epic Max LS, 9°

Driver #2: Adams Speedline F11, 9.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Cameron Studio Style Newport 2.5, 33"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag

[quote name='tatertot' timestamp='1393366864' post='8744280']

The End.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You got the same chances of getting in the top 10 as you would winning the qualifying tournament.
[/quote]

You're clearly speaking from a position of ignorance. I'm wildly inconsistent yet somehow capable of stretches of incredible golf. Especially with my recovery shots from my 35 yard errant tee shots.

I could win that qualifying tournament.....my entourage would consist of physical therapists, massage therapists, chiropractors and a bar tender.....But I'd be right in the middle of it.

Thanks.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

Yorke1 and I are in already for PEI

Separating from the rest of Canada was easy peasy lemon squeasy

Plus the Brazilians were easily bribed with our PEI potato skins and poutine

(MTL Jeff banned from our tryouts as a lefty btw) .. This isn't hockey

I'm looking forward to taking on Hearn and DeLaet

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Tin Cup or Francis Quimet moment? Dont we have that possibilty every year, since both of those examples are the US open.

TM M3 - Diamana D+
TM M3 13° - Diamana D+
TM M1 3HL - Diamana D+
Miura ICL-601 18°- Crazy STP
Miura CB 57 - Monaco TX
Miura WS 53° & 59° - Monaco TX
Bettinardi Tour Stock BB1 DASS / Miura KM-005 / Nike Origin B2-01 / TM Kia Ma Daytona / Yes Callie Fc

Olympics = amateurs

Get professionals out of the Olympics (yeah, I know it'll never happen now as there's way too much profit for big companies)

Remember the 1980 US Hockey Team?

Greatest medal ever won by ANY individual or team from the US.

Gee......let's watch Tiger and Phil play every single friggin' weekend nearly all year.....Gee....now let's watch them play in the Olympics!! Wow....that'll be something new.

btw - Olympic Golf? Kind of like watching paint dry for 99.999% of the world population.

[quote name='Hi Im Joe' timestamp='1393339099' post='8741118']
I don't like having pro's in the olympics for so called "mainstream" sports. They have their spot. Let amateurs have theirs. Just my .02 cents YMMV.
[/quote]

I hear ya in a way. But then I feel like I'm tuning in to watch some people who are really good at their sport, but not the best. And I like to feel like when I'm watching the Olympics I am watching the best in the world bar none...not the best in the world that couldn't make it at their nation's professional level.

I agree, I'm not too interested in watching the pros play another tournament. I enjoy watching the big amateur events because you've got these no-name players grinding it out to win for no other reason than for the glory of winning. When you throw a bunch of professionals who make tens of millions of dollars a year "fighting" for gold, you can't help but wonder how much money is at stake for finishing first, second, or third from their sponsors. I'd much rather watch a bunch of no-names duke it out match play style to make a real dream come true.

I'll never play in the Olympics, US Open, or US Amateur, but I immensely enjoy watching top amateurs make their dreams come true. That's not going to happen in the Olympics when a pro is once again crowned king of the golf world.

[sign here]

With the communist countries sending paid athletes to the Olympics, the rest of the world followed. The Red Army Team the US beat in 1980 were not amateurs which made the upset win so improbable. I would prefer that all athletes be amateur, but for some countries they always were paid athletes, so the precedent was set.

I won't join in the debate of pro vs. amateur. Honestly, pros have been part of the Olympics for long enough now that I don't hold an opinion anymore... It is what it is.

That said, I do not like that it will be a standard stroke play format. I think that they should have done something more creative.

My proposal:[list]
[*]There will be 60 male and 60 female participants at the Olympics.
[*]Have a 2-day, stroke play, qualifier.
[*]The top 16 men and top 16 women after those 2 days will qualify for the "Medal Matches."
[*]The "Medal Matches" will then be match play.
[*]Brackets will be seeded based upon the order the players finished in the 2 day qualifier.
[*]The "Medal Matches" will be a... wait for it... double elimination match play event.
[*]In the finals (gold/silver match), the player who came through the winner's bracket will have to be beaten twice, as they have not lost a match yet.
[*]The bronze medal will be awarded to the 3rd place finisher (the player who lost the very last loser's bracket match).
[/list]
Is this a lot of golf? Yes.

Would it be highly entertaining? Yes!

Would it do a good in job identifying the top performer for the competition? I think it would do a pretty good job.

C'mon... it's the Olympics. It only comes once every 4 years. Let's do something special!

TaylorMade Driver
Tour Edge Exotics Fairways
Bridgestone Irons
Vokey Wedges
Byron Morgan Putter(s)
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/951653-mikey-towns-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

Personally, I watch the olympics to see the best in the world compete in their sports. I'm not about to agree with seeing amateurs (some of which who are, yes, very very talented) be the only players in the games. If you are going to try to tell me the only motivation tour guys have to go out and win or finish high is the cash, then I just have to totally disagree with that. Ever see how psyched guys get to win the US Amatuer?

TEI3 Santa Fe Flatso Mid
Big Bertha Alpha 9.0*
TEE CB Pro 15*
TEE CB Pro 19*
M1 22* Hybrid
Srixon 975 5-PW KBS Tour C-Taper Lite
Mizuno MP T12 50 55 60 KBS Tour C-Taper Lite

Maybe we could have Individual, Two-Man Better Ball and even a 'Mixed Doubles' Man/Woman Team Event.....we can cover everything that way. They'd be playing golf for two soid weeks in Rio.

FYI: The International Olympic Comittee just Announced that frisbee golf will debut at the 2022 Games.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade

Well I for one am excited to see a Jordan Spieth and Dustin Johnson go up against Adam Scott and Jason Day. In fact this is going to be the Ryder cup but better IMO. Maybe not for the US but for the world of golf it will be epic.

Cobra F7+ - Stiff
Callaway V-Series 3 & 5 wood with Aldila Rouge Silver
Srixon 585 5-AW - Modus 105 Stiff
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 53 & 58 Degree
EVNROLL ER5
Srixon XV - Yellow

The End.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So what do you want, a sponsor's exemption from Obama?

At some point and on many levels the old saying "Follow the money" applies.

The "Powers that Be" know that the game's best known names will draw a bigger audience.

A bigger audience means higher advertising fees.

Higher ad fees make the networks more money.

The owners of the mass media are (currently) in control - and they like making more money.

Whether it involves politics, the media message being delivered, or whatever if the power brokers who own the mass media want it they will get it. They want the top pros in every venue to draw bigger crowds and make them more money. It is honestly no more complicated than that.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='ClarkGrswld4' timestamp='1393518147' post='8757894']

The End.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

So what do you want, a sponsor's exemption from Obama?
[/quote]

If he can grant me an exemption - I can be tournament ready within two weeks.

I'd probably head down to Rio a month early to acclimate myself to the food, humidity and learn how to putt on whatever grass they've got growing on the greens.

And you'd all know me because I'd be the smilingest happiest guy walking into the stadium during the opening ceremonies....

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Old Titleist Blade