I dream of moving somewhere warm to be able to play golf year round. Has anybody here actually done

[quote name='fore' timestamp='1394391582' post='8832851']
[quote name='epixep' timestamp='1394381554' post='8831869']
[quote name='baseballfrk8998' timestamp='1394374265' post='8831213']
[quote name='fore' timestamp='1394373059' post='8831141']
Ideally I think it would be best to only go south in the winter. It's just too hot in the south in the summer.
[/quote]

It's not that bad. Just have to stay hydrated! I'd rather have hot summers rather than miserably cold winters where golf is not an option..
[/quote]

So true, I can handle a 105 dry heat. I can't play golf, let alone go outside, when it's 10 and blowing 25-30.
[/quote]

How many years would it take to get used to that kind of heat?

I spent most of my adult life in Maine. Summer here in NY is pretty damn hot to me.
[/quote]

I actually grew up (first 16 years of my life) in Manhattan, and then moved to Arizona where I lived for about 3 years. 98 with 75%+ humidity in NY is far worse than anything Arizona has to offer. If your skin can handle the sun, it's not bad.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another vote for Texas. Year round golf, low cost of living compared to most of the country, strong economy with lots of job growth....

Though as others have said, moving your fiance' and an infant across the country isn't going to be a very popular decision....especially if her entire family is in the same area. Obviously you want the lure to be for something more meaningful (better career opportunities, etc.) than just 'I wanna golf all year' when you're trying to sell it to her and her family.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w
Cleveland Launcher XL Halo 4H

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

Srixon MKii ZX5s 6-PW Modus 105s

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 48*

Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 52*
Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore 56*

PXG Battle Ready 'Bat Attack' 

I live in Florida - have for about 40 years. And yes we have golf all year long. But there are some trade offs.

We don't have seasons. I actually went swimming this past Christmas.

We have to put up with tourist. A lot of them. Granted their visits prevent us from having to pay a state income tax but they, like any visitor, can wear out their welcome.

We have heat - summer time can be brutal. It will take you at least two or three summers to adjust. Just walking to your car will get you sweaty.

We have a TON of mosquitos all year long. And they breed diseases.

We don't have beautiful mountains, vista views, and our courses are for the most part fairly flat.

We are starting to see more sinkholes and our water is terrible. I have to drink bottled - our tap is just too nasty. And one sinkhole about 30 miles from me actually killed some poor fellow.

Wages here are lower for the most part. Not a very employee friendly state.

Now there are some real pros also. I have lived my entire adult life here and we have some perks of being in the tropics. But the key is home is where the heart is. Picking up and moving to another state might seem like a life solution but that would be similar to me picking up and moving to where we have four seasons; might seem like a great idea but our entire family is here. And this is where we are happy. So this is where we are most likely to stay.

The grass is always greener - until you climb that fence and walk on it finding out that it is artificial turf.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

Thanks for all the input guys! Some really mixed reviews here. I definitely wouldn't even consider moving unless I had a job lined up ahead of time. Luckily, the fiance is all in if it means I have a job and I can support our family. I think I would definitely miss my family, but my Mom is retired and Dad isn't too far off, so I could always be their "vacation" home whenever they decide they want to come down. It would definitely be a tough decision, but I've had enough of this cold weather. I get real bad seasonal depression because I simply find joy in walking outside to a breath of fresh air, not having my lungs hurt because it's so darn cold. We will see what life has ahead of us. I've already applied at a few places down there, so if one bites before anything around here, I may make the move! Thanks again guys! Keep the input coming.

Driver: Callaway AI Smoke TD 8 degree w/ Ventus TR 6X
Fairway: TaylorMade RBZ Tour 14.5 w/Tensei CK White 70TX

Hybrid: TaylorMade Rescue 11 18 degree X flex, Adams Idea Pro 23 X flex
Irons: New Level 623 CB w/Tour Issue DG X100 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX Zip Core 52, 58 KBS 610 S+ 
Putter: Makefield
Ball: 2024 Chrome Tour X

[quote name='Chief Illiniwek' timestamp='1394413505' post='8836047']
My wife is from Baton Rouge and we travel there every August. My job has me outside all the time in the Midwestern heat, yet I still don't know how people live in Louisiana summers. Brutal.
[/quote]

I lived in central Illinois for a several years back in the early 2000s. As I tell people all the time, you don't have to shovel heat. Give me 103* over 23* any day of the week!

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

[quote name='bryanwmilburn' timestamp='1394371256' post='8831043']
I'm a recent college graduate and live in WV. This particular winter has been brutal and I've only been able to play twice since December first. As an avid golfer (played all 4 years at my university) this is killing me. I know a lot of people talk about moving somewhere warm to get away from the cold (myself included,) but have any of you actually done it? I'm seriously considering the move. My logic is that I'm 22 years old with my whole life ahead of me, so I might as well enjoy it (after all you only live once.)

To those who have made the move, how hard was it and do you regret it at all? I think the most difficult thing for me will be missing my family as literally all of them live in the county I grew up in and currently live. We are all a really close knit bunch. I also have a fiance and 8 month old baby girl, so I would obviously have to get her approval and 100% ok, so that may be another challenge. It's a big dream of mine and being able to enjoy life with nice weather year round would be awesome. Input appreciated guys!!!
[/quote] I live in Central Ontario and there is so much snow on the ground it is crazy. If I could, I would be in NC or SC in a heartbeat... Went to school in Kansas and we still got cold in winter, but it was a million times better than here at home. I am bias though, because I also think Americans are great people. Be where you and your family can be happy. The rest of your relatives will understand....

Titleist 910 D3 Tour AD DI7
Titleist 906 F UST V2
Callaway RAZR X Muscle Back (3-pw)
Cleveland 588 52,58
Callaway MD 64 degree
YES! Sandy 12

[quote name='thesamwise' timestamp='1394414026' post='8836143']
I live on Oahu and wake up about 362 days a year so happy that I get out of DC.
[/quote]

I have to ask. What happens during those other 3 days? (4 in a leap year)

Visited Oahu and was amazed at the beauty and diversity. About the only thing I did not care for were the enormous crowds everywhere.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='mantan' timestamp='1394413903' post='8836117']
[quote name='Chief Illiniwek' timestamp='1394413505' post='8836047']
My wife is from Baton Rouge and we travel there every August. My job has me outside all the time in the Midwestern heat, yet I still don't know how people live in Louisiana summers. Brutal.
[/quote]

I lived in central Illinois for a several years back in the early 2000s. As I tell people all the time, you don't have to shovel heat. Give me 103* over 23* any day of the week!
[/quote]

After this winter that's pretty hard to argue with. But most winters I'll play a couple times/month. When I was in Baton Rouge this last August I sat around her parents' house for three days because of the ridiculous heat. Finally the fourth day I couldn't take it anymore and headed to the range. After about twenty balls the sweat was dripping in my eyes so badly I don't know why I even kept trying. I'm not an overly sweaty guy either. I did have to laugh though because the only other guy hitting balls was a local who had long sleeves on! To each their own I guess! I must be built for cooler weather.

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1394414416' post='8836197']
[/quote]

Visited Oahu and was amazed at the beauty and diversity. About the only thing I did not care for were the enormous crowds everywhere.
[/quote]

Well, I figure two bummer days for rain and one for traffic. The rainy season can limit your golf or at least make it a little more unpleasant, and Honolulu has horrendous traffic during rush hour.

I live in Michigan, but had the opportunity to spend about 6 months in L.A. from Jan-Jun this year (so, I'm here now), and I don't know how I'm going to go back. There's two feet of snow on the ground back home, and I've played golf every weekend except one since I've been out here. I think San Diego is probably the perfect location climate-wise, but it's pretty nice here. If it wasn't for family, I'd be doing anything I could to move out here.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

[quote name='thesamwise' timestamp='1394420194' post='8837023']
[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1394414416' post='8836197']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, I figure two bummer days for rain and one for traffic. The rainy season can limit your golf or at least make it a little more unpleasant, and Honolulu has horrendous traffic during rush hour.
[/quote]

We have horrendous traffic all the time. What with the rail going in (what a mistake this going to be), H1 rehab project, and all the other problems with our roads the traffic is never pleasant.

I moved from the midwest to Scottsdale last May. I spent 3 long years in a location I hated (for my 1st job in my field) and looked in warm climates only. Finally got a new job and moved my wife and 2 little ones.

Yes there are trade offs like being away from family, but you only live once and you should enjoy it!

[quote name='Golf-Junkie' timestamp='1394419866' post='8836983']
Live in NorCal - super tasty (except for the women, the trees up here are prettier)...

I am from the South, so predisposed to Georgia, Texas, etc.

But yes, if you enjoy golf, living North of the Mason Dixon is not a good thing bro.
[/quote]

I've always been a Fan of NorCal trees

callaway epic max ls MMT x
Ping G25 15* Black Tie

818 H2 set 21* evenflow 6.5

HOGAN ft worth black x100

cleveland 50* scratch  54 & 60 customs T&A
Cleveland TA milled options

Had the privilege to live in southern Arizona for a couple of years now! Yes the summer is hot and to think people come hear from Phoenix because its cooler! The winter, spring and fall are great. Get to go to Mexico for dinner no and then and the ocean is 3 1/2 hours away. There is no utopia, but this is pretty good.

If its a dream of yours and you can take advantage, then definitely make the move!

[quote name='Huskypride28' timestamp='1394381067' post='8831827']
I did it. Moved down to Atlanta from Philadelphia last year. Best decision I ever made.
[/quote]

Dude, are you serious? LOL I've lived in Atlanta for 27 years and nearing retirement, I can't wait to implement the original post!

PS. This post meant in friendly jest. :)

[quote name='bryanwmilburn' timestamp='1394371256' post='8831043']
I'm a recent college graduate and live in WV. This particular winter has been brutal and I've only been able to play twice since December first. As an avid golfer (played all 4 years at my university) this is killing me. I know a lot of people talk about moving somewhere warm to get away from the cold (myself included,) but have any of you actually done it? I'm seriously considering the move. My logic is that I'm 22 years old with my whole life ahead of me, so I might as well enjoy it ([size=5][b]after all you only live once[/b][/size].)

To those who have made the move, how hard was it and do you regret it at all? I think the most difficult thing for me will be missing my family as literally all of them live in the county I grew up in and currently live. We are all a really close knit bunch. I also have a fiance and 8 month old baby girl, so I would obviously have to get her approval and 100% ok, so that may be another challenge. It's a big dream of mine and being able to enjoy life with nice weather year round would be awesome. Input appreciated guys!!!
[/quote]

yolo

Titleist 910 d3 9.5
Titleist 910 fd 13.5
Titleist 913 h 17
Mizuno MP 4 4-P
TVD 54 M, 61K
Newport 2 Midslant torched

After the 16 inches of snow we got two days ago - I'm seriously considering this (although it'd never happen until at least retirement).

I *love* the winter (I'm a snowboarder), but there comes a time in the year when winter is over and summer needs to hit so the local courses can open up.

I'd really love it if the seasons had no extended change period. Just one day its fall and the next winter, then spring, then summer and so on.

Its these in between times that get me (was 50ish last weekend, we got almost two feet of snow over two days, 16 inches one day and another 5-7 the next, and its 45 today).

Titleist 915 D3 9.5*
Titleist 917 F2 15*
Titleist AP1 4-5
Titleist AP2 6-P
Vokey SM6 52/58
Toulon Design Rochester

[quote name='AnEpicName' timestamp='1394821100' post='8871665']
Austin, Texas. I think it's the best city in the world. It has loads of great golf courses and is a fun place to live. There is something for everyone there, regardless of your age. And obviously the music scene is just plain awesome.
[/quote]

Awesome...well - except for that whole being more segregated than any other city in Texas. Yeah - not going back there.

PING G430 Max 10.5 

PING G430 5w

Cleveland XL Halo 5H

I love living in the Coachella Valley (except in July and August). We have 124 golf courses in a 15 mile radius, and our daytime highs rarely dip little below 70*. I wear shorts year round but I occasionally wear a short sleeve windbreaker

My wife was born and raised here and is very close to her family so moving out of the area would have been a tough sell. I never played golf until I was 40 and had already lived here for 10 years. The extreme heat in the summer took some getting used to I now look forward to summers. I get out at 6am and play some great tracks (for next to nothing) that cost well over $100 in the winter. In the winter, I play the lower end courses which are still better than many in Southern California.

Housing isn't expensive, the air quality is good, the vistas are beautiful, and traffic isn't bad. We get our Snowbirds every winter, but they are great for our economy... we joke that we are the 11th province of Canada.

The good news is that I don't have to look for a warm place to retire too :)

To the OP, once you settle down and start a family it can be very difficult to pick up roots. Talk to you fiancée/wife and get her buy in, but I would try to start somewhere with a decent climate.

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

[quote name='Desert Golf' timestamp='1394836913' post='8873475']
I love living in the Coachella Valley (except in July and August). We have 124 golf courses in a 15 mile radius, but our daytime highs sometimes dip a little below 70* in the winter. I wear shorts year round but I occasionally wear a short sleeve windbreaker

My wife was born and raised here and is very close to her family so moving out of the area would have been a tough sell. I never played golf until I was 40 and had already lived here for 10 years. The extreme heat in the summer took some getting used to I now look forward to summers. I get out at 6am and play some great tracks (for next to nothing) that cost well over $100 in the winter. In the winter, I play the lower end courses which are still better than many in Southern California.

Housing isn't expensive and traffic isn't bad. We get our Snowbirds every winter, but they are great for our economy... [b]we joke that we are the 11th province of Canada.[/b]

The good news is that I don't have to look for a warm place to retire too :)
[/quote]
lol From 2011-13 I went down to PS on a guys golf trip (several of the guys already at least partly winter there). At a few courses we ran into enough of the guys from our local men's club that it was like being on our home courses.

I play as a single quite a bit and most of the time I'm paired up with guys, or husband/wives form Vancouver. Occasionally I get paired up with people from Ontario or Saskatchewan, but I rarely get paired up with locals in the winter time.

Ping G425 Max driver & fw
Ping G425 hybrids
Ping i25 irons
Odyssey Black Tour #5

Srixon Q Star Tour

[quote name='AB2SS' timestamp='1394460804' post='8839125']
[quote name='Huskypride28' timestamp='1394381067' post='8831827']
I did it. Moved down to Atlanta from Philadelphia last year. Best decision I ever made.
[/quote]

Dude, are you serious? LOL I've lived in Atlanta for 27 years and nearing retirement, I can't wait to implement the original post!

PS. This post meant in friendly jest. :)
[/quote]

So funny. I met someone today who had just gone to Atlanta for the weekend and she loved it. She asked if I had ever gone, the way you might ask if someone has been to the Marshall Islands. Was pretty funny actually. I have never heard someone love it so much. She kept going on about how it was the most wonderful place with great people. And I kept thinking..."is there some other atlanta I don't know about?"