Prarie Club

jcleve

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jcleve' timestamp='1394911999' post='8878043']
Was planning on driving down to valentine Nebraska this summer, was wondering if anyone has played the prarie club. Is it as good as advertised.
[/quote]

We played both 18's last June. Couldn't believe the conditions of the huge greens, absolutley perfect. Dunes course had very wide fairways, Pines was a mixture of holes that resembled the Dunes and tree lined holes. Outstanding courses and didn't see many other golfers there. Lodge was full so we had to stay in Valentine, did eat at the clubhouse and the steak was great. Be sure to get yardage books! One par 3 had 80 yards of green.

Very pricey, IIRC, you can play all day for no extra charge. I'd love to do it again. They were planning on adding another 18. The par 3 Horse Course looked fun and actually made the ratings in one of the golf mags, we just didn't have time to play it.

I'll side in with the above posters. If you can find the threads via the search there is a lot of information. But what I can remember is:

It's expensive. For a round on each course, a cabin down below the lodge, Saturday night dinner and drinks in the member lounge (can't remember the name) and the breakfast buffet it ran me about $500 + the tip we had for the caddie. We had him on the Pines but not the Dunes where we really needed him. At that time it was not play all day, I think there was a discounted rate for the 2nd 18, but not free.

Unlike puttnforthe8, I actually like the Pines more than the Dunes (a personal issue with me liking a more tree lined course). That said the Dunes is more memorable. It is big and brawny. I believe it can stretch to over 8,000 yards from the tips (if you can find the tee boxes!). If the pin is up front on the par threes make sure and walk towards the back of the green, you crest a ridge and find another 50 or 60 yards of green. Try some putts, they are mind boggling.

The driving range and putting green are awesome. But as good as the courses are, I think we had more fun on the horse course. Take five or six clubs, a rangefinder, and a couple of six packs and you can be out there for hours (you'll need more beer of course) just making up holes and shots. I do wish they had some kind of small carts to carry you stuff, mainly the coolers.

The service is impeccable. When you pull up they unload and tag your stuff. You go inside and check in (I would guess you would pay at this time but they just billed the member so I'm not sure on that), when you get outside your clubs are all set up on a cart. And when you're done playing and get to your room, which is very, very nice, your luggage is waiting there for you.

All in all, even though it is expensive, it is a good experience and you'll most likely have a lot of fun.

^ Good synopsis Dead! My preference for the Dunes was probably biased by the fact that I went to play that type of golf(Sand Hills, Dismal, Dunes, Ballyneal) and di not want trees. Pines is a good course for sure.

Steak was good! Also there was a lot of good looking employees!

But mostly...it was a chance to get away and be in peace!

[quote name='puttnforthe8' timestamp='1394984055' post='8882551']
^ Good synopsis Dead! My preference for the Dunes was probably biased by the fact that I went to play that type of golf(Sand Hills, Dismal, Dunes, Ballyneal) and di not want trees. Pines is a good course for sure.

Steak was good! Also there was a lot of good looking employees!

But mostly...it was a chance to get away and be in peace!
[/quote]

Man that last sentence is true. You really can get away from it all..........because the cell service is terrible! Not that that's a such bad thing.

went last year and going back again this year. I really enjoyed the setup although it is a fairly expensive trip. The best way to do it is to play 36 early, go eat, and then head out to the horse course before sunset. I enjoyed the pines course a lot (didn't get a chance to play the dunes).

Callaway Mavrik Subzero 10.5 Graphite Design ADDI 7XX
Srixon U85 2,3,4 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Srixon 785 5-PW Nippon NSPro 1050s
Cleveland RTX-4 Tour Raw 50,55,61 Nippon NSPro 1050s
Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 34.5

Here's a review and photos of each course there. My personal opinion is that the Dunes is a great course, I'd play it 8-2 over Pines...

Dunes: [url="http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.ca/2012/04/prairie-club-dunes-golf-course-review.html"]The Prairie Club (Dunes)[/url]

Pines: [url="http://onegolferstravels.blogspot.ca/2012/07/the-prairie-club-pines-golf-course.html"]The Prairie Club (Pines)[/url]

I play it every summer With a stay and play package its not horribly priced. I believe this year it is $399/person for two days and one night, all you can play. Everything stated above is true. Go, you won't regret it.

Shameless plug. If you drive up hwy 275 from Omaha, stop in Beemer NE and play Indian Trails Country Club. You won't be dissapointed.

• 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

Anybody visit the course as a single? I'm thinking about flying into Omaha this August, and playing my way west, and then north to PD. I've played both Bandon Dunes and Streamsong as a single with no issues.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

I don't see it as a problem, I would call though, make sure you hit quarry oaks and Wildhorse on way out

Yes, that would be the plan, along with Bayside. I'll be looking for a few more public courses along the route.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I don't see it as a problem, I would call though, make sure you hit quarry oaks and Wildhorse on way out

Yes, that would be the plan, along with Bayside. I'll be looking for a few more public courses along the route.

If you're getting all the way out to Ogalala (Bayside), you're getting pretty close to my area. Maybe go a bit further west on I80 and hit Four Winds in Kimball, NE, a real hidden gem.

If you're getting all the way out to Ogalala (Bayside), you're getting pretty close to my area. Maybe go a bit further west on I80 and hit Four Winds in Kimball, NE, a real hidden gem.

I'll likely be starting in Omaha, and a trip out to Kimball would leave me with ~4 hours to The Prairie Club. After that it's a 5+ hour drive back to Omaha. Ugh. It roughly a 1000 miles round trip! I don't think my back could handle it.

I might have to consider flying into Omaha, and flying out of Denver. The trip from Omaha to North Platte is 4 hours, allowing me to play Quarry Oaks, Awarii Dunes, and Wild Horse along the way. It's 2 hours each way from NP to Valentine, and then another 4 hours from NP to Denver, allowing me to hit Bayside, Four Winds, and possible one more along the route. This would allow me to avoid the 5+ hour stretches in the rental car, which is simply torture.

Sidney made some course changes 2 years ago, they have grown in nicely and made the course better. Still need a bulldozer for the greens on 16 and 17.

I'll likely be starting in Omaha, and a trip out to Kimball would leave me with ~4 hours to The Prairie Club. After that it's a 5+ hour drive back to Omaha. Ugh. It roughly a 1000 miles round trip! I don't think my back could handle it.

I might have to consider flying into Omaha, and flying out of Denver. The trip from Omaha to North Platte is 4 hours, allowing me to play Quarry Oaks, Awarii Dunes, and Wild Horse along the way. It's 2 hours each way from NP to Valentine, and then another 4 hours from NP to Denver, allowing me to hit Bayside, Four Winds, and possible one more along the route. This would allow me to avoid the 5+ hour stretches in the rental car, which is simply torture.

With that itinerary the course I would add is Riverdale Dunes in Denver. Play that one before you fly out as its a easy, shortish trip to DIA from there.

With that itinerary the course I would add is Riverdale Dunes in Denver. Play that one before you fly out as its a easy, shortish trip to DIA from there.

I'd probably hit CommonGround in Aurora, a Golfweek Best in State course.

That's a good choice too. Although I don't think it's a the same level as RD. i clearly remember liking Common Ground a lot, but I don't remember any indiviuall holes and it wasn't one that I felt I had to go back and play again like I do for RD.

We finally played Commonground last year. Very boring, normal course. Followed a group of a holes that managed to even drive a cart on a green, they had 3 open holes ahead of them, too. I won't play it again, ever.

We finally played Commonground last year. Very boring, normal course. Followed a group of a holes that managed to even drive a cart on a green, they had 3 open holes ahead of them, too. I won't play it again, ever.

Hmmm, I might have to reconsider then. I'm a fan of Pete Dye, so Riverdale Dunes may be a better choice.

Since it has not come up here, I assume that a visiting golfer cannot arrange to play at Ballyneal--is that the case in anyone's experience? I am also in planning stages for a trip with others, later in the year, to the area--- and may fly into Denver to start...

• 1 month later...

Not hard to get on Ballyneal. Write them a nice email or have a pro call if possible.

BTW Riverdale Dunes is the last course that Tom Doak worked on for Pete Dye as on site designer. Definitely worth playing.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
Ari Techner
National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
[email protected]
IG: @nationalcustom
Twitter: @WorksNational
(still a huge club HO)

• 2 weeks later...

As we're heading there this weekend (after a last minute shift from Denver to Valentine) I wanted to bump an existing thread with a couple of questions - as the Prairie Club site is actually pretty thin on details and contains broken links. Got some good info from older threads, but still a few items I'd appreciate someone chiming in on.

- It seems the majority of people do ride carts there and while walkable, the courses are a good hike. Would that be accurate, based on people's experience there? Do they provide push carts if you want to walk? I like the idea of morning walk/afternoon ride.

- Pics on their various feeds so a pretty darn green early season course, looks in good nick. Will the courses play a bit softer early season, than their typical fast/firm?

- Leading their confirmation email with "no outside anything" strikes me as a touch chintzy. Have they always had that policy or were people setting up bbqs and keggers outside their rooms before?

- Checked Nebraska DOT and it doesn't look like any serious road works are underway (just lanewidening on 80), so google drive times would largely be accurate? Leadfootedness notwithstanding.

- As a side, we'll be playing Wildhorse on the way up, based on the last minuteness we didn't bother looking into the privates along the way. And then something near enough Denver airport on Memorial Day, probably Riverdale Dunes.

Looking forward to this 'last-minute' plan change and will definitely post up some pics and impressions upon returning :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Long ways from green to tee. It was nice to leave the bag and assorted crap in the cart overnight. I've seen walkers though.

Should be firm unless they are catching more rains than here, very sandy soil in the sandhills.

Haven't been east of Ogallala, I 80 moves pretty well, may be some 2 way traffic where they are rebuilding the road. 76 from Denver has just a little construction going on.

Have a blast! Call them with your questions.

• 2 months later...

I'm heading out to The Prairie Club next week. I assume this is a walking-only facility? Are caddies required, or can I rent a rickshaw?

Starting the trip with a round at Tiburon in Omaha on Saturday, Awarii Dunes and Wild Horse on Sunday, PC Dunes on Monday, PC Pines on Tuesday, and Bayside and Riverdale Dunes on Thursday. No firm plans on Wednesday, but I hope I might be able to get on at Sand Hills or Dismal River, but if not it'll probably be another round on PC Dunes.

I'm heading out to The Prairie Club next week. I assume this is a walking-only facility? Are caddies required, or can I rent a rickshaw?

Starting the trip with a round at Tiburon in Omaha on Saturday, Awarii Dunes and Wild Horse on Sunday, PC Dunes on Monday, PC Pines on Tuesday, and Bayside and Riverdale Dunes on Thursday. No firm plans on Wednesday, but I hope I might be able to get on at Sand Hills or Dismal River, but if not it'll probably be another round on PC Dunes.

You can ride a cart, it is included in your fee, I didn't see any caddies (doesn't mean much). Sounds like a fun trip, we've played both Prairie club courses, Wildhorse, Bayside, Awari and Riverdale Dunes.

Only walking only course I know of is Ballyneal.