Graeme McDowell testing new Srixon Z 745 irons at the 2014 RBC Heritage

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='eurotrash2' timestamp='1413636621' post='10309235']
KBS tour and Nippon 950 are no upcharge in US, all others cost something. Don't think posting wholesale info is allowed.
[/quote]

Sorry, did you mean me?

I have only listed a "guesstimate" on the RETAIL cost of the shaft up charge.

I didn't mention any other pricing?...

KBS tour and Nippon 950 are no upcharge in US, all others cost something. Don't think posting wholesale info is allowed.
[/quote] That is in-correct information, unless they changed it this week about the up-charge on these shafts.

[quote name='nova6868' timestamp='1413643282' post='10309573']
I have heard good things about this line. I like how all 3 lines can be mixed and matched pretty seamlessly. I would probably get 545 4-iron and 745 5-Gap.

But there is no gap. I don't understand not having the gap wedge when the PW is 46.
[/quote]

Well, they own Cleveland golf so I would assume they expect to see consumers buy a 50 degree Cleveland wedge

[quote name='bama11' timestamp='1413636962' post='10309251']
[/quote] That is in-correct information, unless they changed it this week about the up-charge on these shafts.
[/quote]

He is correct. both KBS and Nippon no up-charge

Ping G30 Graphite Design BB-7X
Titleist 904F4 13 Graphite Design DI-7X
Srixon U45 18 Aerotech Steel Fibre 95X
Srixon 945 Aerotech Steel Fibre 110X
RTX 2.0 50, 56 Nippon Modus 115W
RTX 2.0 Wide Sole 60 Nippon Modus 125W
Scotty Cameron Circle T Notchback Select XP
Srixon Z-Star

[quote name='PJ72' timestamp='1414266229' post='10349831']
"The golfer's mind" by Bob Rotella is a great place to start. Can pick it up for next to nothing 2nd hand on amazon.
[/quote]
[quote name='toad37' timestamp='1414293913' post='10351571']
Hi WRX, first post...

Hit the 6 iron in both the 545 and 745 at the range near me today. The 745 felt worlds better than the 545. And yes, they look as good in real life as in the pictures. I put them in my bag and they made my i25s look downright ugly. :-)
[/quote]

Hi WRX, first post...

Hit the 6 iron in both the 545 and 745 at the range near me today. The 745 felt worlds better than the 545. And yes, they look as good in real life as in the pictures. I put them in my bag and they made my i25s look downright ugly. :-)
[/quote]

I am strongly considering the 745's - they look fantastic. I believe the 545's have a forged 1020 carbon steel body and an SUP10 steel face - so a two piece construction much like the Callaway Apex. The 745's are forged entirely from 1020 carbon steel. That might explain the difference in feel?

Anymore feedback you can give us on how they performed?

[attachment=2473657:40345.jpg]

[attachment=2473659:40347.jpg]

[attachment=2473661:40349.jpg]

Hi WRX, first post...

[/quote]

Whats your handicap?

[quote name='Eagle006' timestamp='1414327710' post='10352351']
?

Anymore feedback you can give us on how they performed?

[/quote]

Hi Eagle006,

I usually go to that range during my lunch break so I will do the same test again and report back with some notes.

I am 45 yo w/ an 18 handicap and this is where I am averaging with my i25's that have a regular CFS steel shaft.

[size=3]Utility Wedge - 117 yard avg.[/size][size=3]
Pitching Wedge - 129 yard avg.[/size][size=3]
9 iron - 144 yard avg.[/size][size=3]
8 iron - 153 yard avg.[/size][size=3]
7 iron - 167 yard avg.[/size][size=3]
6 iron - 180 yard avg.[/size][size=3]
5 iron - 192 yard avg.[/size][size=3]
.[/size]

Hi WRX, first post...

[/quote]

Props for the feedback, and lots of props for the Bill & Ted avatar. Well done.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

545's are much like the Callaway Apex's in build, but for me feel better, and when flushed are something pretty special. The 745's and the 545 would blend nicely if you wanted a combo set, hard to tell the difference looking down on them.

The v sole is something a bit different, but does work well with turf interaction, and it seems to only get better and better the more time i have with them.

A flushed shot between the 745 and 545 are very similar with a very slight edge going to the 745, but as you would guess the 545 wins in forgiveness, and really shines on that low toe miss.

the set i got off the Bay are the 545s (4-PW), with KBS Tour S +1/2

Follow up for Eagle006-

I just hit the regular Callaway Apex with the stiff XP 105 shaft along with the new Z 545 and 745. All three were 6 irons. Nothing earth shattering here (from my amatuer point of view) other than the 545 felt a little closer to the quality of the 745 this time around. 5 balls each.. figured less might be better as to not overthink it. It was raining and chilly so keep that in mind.

Apex- 1st and 2nd hits were a nice little draw with a very satisfying solid feel... 3rd and 4th hit not great but straight to target, fifth hit nice draw at target.. feels very satisfying, with good control. Distance was average/good.

745- 1st two shots had good distance, solid thwack of a sound, good feel...third hit big draw and 4th was a nice straigt flight...fifth hooked it. Distance was right there with the Apex more or less.

545- 1st hit was a nice straight shot, then gorgeous feeling draw on 2nd. 3rd and 4th were solid with one leaking draw but good...5th was a hook like 745.

I have hit the Apex before and think it is an awesome club. I wanted to see how it stacked up with these Srixon's and they held their own very nicely. The fact that I hooked the 5th shot on both the Z's may say something?

I'm a higher handicap, but I have a pretty nice swing and hit the irons pretty well. These along with the new Bridgestones and Mizuno's will be the ones to obsess over during the winter months. :-)

I'll add pics tonight if I can figure out how.

This probably doesn't help much, but thought I would follow up for Eagle006. I'll follow up again if I have anything good to add.

- Todd

[quote name='Eagle006' timestamp='1414538388' post='10364923']
Todd, the update is appreciated thanks. Pics would be good too ��. Looking forward to trying them myself.
[/quote]

Updated with my lame cell pics :-)

Hit a bigger bucket after work with same 3 clubs. All 3 clubs are great, but I would probably go in this order-

1- 745
2- 545
3- Apex

The Srixon's are more of a precision instrument. I'm looking forward to comparing the 745's to other cubs throughout the winter.

Hope you can try them soon. Let us know what you think!

Todd

Had a chance to take a 745 7 iron out on the course for a few holes tonight. Had the standard DG S300 shaft in it compared to my Callaway Apex Pro with KBS Tour V. Distance wise both clubs were very similar, forgivness was also similar however I felt the srixon had the edge on slightly heavy shots with the sole grind seeming to just get through the turf easily. One thing that really struck me was the for some reason the 745 just wanted to go straight. My Callaway was a little all over the place but every shot with the Srixon was dead on. The club felt great too. Very solid offering

I'm excited to give the 745s a good test. It's like the i701-Tours and BStone J40s had a baby...a very, very awesome baby.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

Hi Guys......I’ve basically posted on here to let you know I’ve tested all the new Srixon Z series irons.
Having played most top brands over the years I was sold after a few hits with the 745s. It was like going back to Mizuno but just that little bit better. Looks are just a by product as far as I’m concerned and considering my present set of RBZ tour irons have never really lived up to my expectations the looks of the srixons are a bonus.
So forget looks just for a second. After a few hits I wanted them, they went further, felt much better, tighter dispersion and they look great.....I did say only a second. Regular Nippon 950 shafts for this 62 year old links and parkland player.
Trackman took care of the figures and I was surprised when I got another 8 or so yards average over my RBZ tour KBS set up considering they went out further than my old MP53s but not by much.
My bad shot is the odd smother hook, I live with it, and the odd near socket/shank that squirts short right. I don’t get many of them but even my right squirt went further with the 745.
Love the feel, they’re not Vega or Muira but not many are. However, after a while I knew where the ball was going before Trackmans read out. I tried a couple of cut shots and Scott was impressed when I pulled it off. I was going to try a couple of three-quarter into the wind type shots but I’ll leave them for the course. If I don’t know how to play them now I never will.
Did I try other clubs....well not really. My golfing friends have all kinds of gear and I’m always getting a few shots with the latest gear.
Now, my short game is up there, it needs to be as my long game isn’t long, not anymore. So, my set includes the 9 and PW from the Z945s The set looks seamless and that’s where Srixon have hit the jackpot. No way could you mix a set of AP1s and AP2s. Well you could, but when you see the Srixon’s you’ll know what I mean.
You really could make up a set of all three Z series irons. Say the 3,4,5 from the Z545, 6,7,8 from the Z745 and the 9,PW from the Z945..........anything you like come to think of it.

Me facts, played for more than 40 years. A member at Dunbar GC, an Open Q true links course. I'm also a member at Royal Musselburgh, the 5th oldest club in the world. We still play for the "old club cup", the oldest trophy still played for in the world....1774.

My swing.....for what it's worth. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYo7UxNvPyc

[quote name='Nudger' timestamp='1414788809' post='10380061']
Hi Guys......I've basically posted on here to let you know I've tested all the new Srixon Z series irons.
Having played most top brands over the years I was sold after a few hits with the 745s. It was like going back to Mizuno but just that little bit better. Looks are just a by product as far as I'm concerned and considering my present set of RBZ tour irons have never really lived up to my expectations the looks of the srixons are a bonus.
So forget looks just for a second. After a few hits I wanted them, they went further, felt much better, tighter dispersion and they look great.....I did say only a second. Regular Nippon 950 shafts for this 62 year old links and parkland player.
Trackman took care of the figures and I was surprised when I got another 8 or so yards average over my RBZ tour KBS set up considering they went out further than my old MP53s but not by much.
My bad shot is the odd smother hook, I live with it, and the odd near socket/shank that squirts short right. I don't get many of them but even my right squirt went further with the 745.
Love the feel, they're not Vega or Muira but not many are. However, after a while I knew where the ball was going before Trackmans read out. I tried a couple of cut shots and Scott was impressed when I pulled it off. I was going to try a couple of three-quarter into the wind type shots but I'll leave them for the course. If I don't know how to play them now I never will.
Did I try other clubs....well not really. My golfing friends have all kinds of gear and I'm always getting a few shots with the latest gear.
Now, my short game is up there, it needs to be as my long game isn't long, not anymore. So, my set includes the 9 and PW from the Z945s The set looks seamless and that's where Srixon have hit the jackpot. No way could you mix a set of AP1s and AP2s. Well you could, but when you see the Srixon's you'll know what I mean.
You really could make up a set of all three Z series irons. Say the [b]3,4,5 from the Z545, 6,7,8 from the Z745 and the 9,PW from the Z945[/b]..........anything you like come to think of it.

Me facts, played for more than 40 years. A member at Dunbar GC, an Open Q true links course. I'm also a member at Royal Musselburgh, the 5th oldest club in the world. We still play for the "old club cup", the oldest trophy still played for in the world....1774.

My swing.....for what it's worth. [url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yYo7UxNvPyc"]https://www.youtube....h?v=yYo7UxNvPyc[/url]
[/quote]

This was literally exactly what I was going to do, but I don't think they're offering the 945s here in the states. At least, not that I've seen anyway.

EDIT: And welcome to the board! You seem to have a good bit of knowledge and experience so I'm sure you'll get along great here.

Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='MJisGOAT' timestamp='1414892019' post='10385045']
[quote name='ahbot' timestamp='1414890880' post='10384957']
I was able to hit these today. They are super solid. These are on the short list for me.
[/quote]You already have the best forging out. Why mess with perfection?
[/quote]

I'm actually on the fence with my bag. I'm either buying the Z745 or rebuilding my Scratch DW Ez1/Ar1 back in play.

Always Changing!!!

these arrived at our Golf Galaxy this week and on Friday night we taped up the 745 and a few other irons that came in and the 745 are amazing excellent irons!! very soft actually quite easy to hit and were long!! they look great and feel amazing!! a real winner here!

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Picked up my set over the weekend and I'm not sure if you just look or play them. Seriously, the last time I hit an iron that has feel like this it was Vega irons. I didn't perticularly play much better, 5 and 7 over, mainly because I need to get used these tools and there was a stiff breeze over the coast of south east scotland.

I don't know how to properly describe these irons mainly because you wont “as if by magic” be a better golfer. What I can say, after I finished my round yesterday I used up the last hour of daylight just hitting balls as if I just discovered the game and the last time I done that was when I first discovered the game.

They don’t just look good, they perform good, they feel good, they sit good, cut the turf good. For a forged iron in the Z745 and Z945 Srixon have hit the jackpot in my opinion. In the past there has been sets of irons I know of that blend cavity to blade, but that’s in the one set with no choice of what iron goes to a blade. Srixon have given the customer the option. My option was 4 to 8 in the 745 with the 9 and PW only in the 945. To be honest, when I first used the PW from the second cut it was like a fresh air shot in comparison to my RBZ tours. It was like hitting some old wound ball......if anyone knows what I mean. Can’t wait to get out again, but meanwhile, I can look at them.

[quote name='Srixon / Cleveland Golf' timestamp='1415033883' post='10391185']
Guys, attached is our 2014-15 US Custom Catalog. Hope this clarifies any of the questiosn that have been posed in this thread. [attachment=2483523:2014 Srixon Custom Catalog.pdf]
[/quote]

Thank you. As you can tell from the comments, there was a lot of confusion over the options from people keen to try what is a [u]great[/u] looking club line up.

Can you clarify if the irons and drivers will be available in Canada? I spoke to someone at Golf Town (essentially Canada's [i]only[/i] golf store) and they said they would be. Many thanks.