Brown Courses

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on what the course is set up like i suppose

[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913D2 8.75* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913F 16.5* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Anser 20* w/ TCF 800 s[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Mizuno MP5 4-PW w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Titleist SM6 52* KBS TOUR 90 S
Titleist SM6 58* STOCK
Odyssey #7[/font][/size][/color]

I love it...

[color=#333333][size=3]Bill Fownes later offered a rebuttal. "Should we have well-watered greens so that any kind of shot will stick by the pin?" he wrote. "And a slow surface for putting, so that you can bang the ball at the hole with no fear of running out of holing distance? [b]The virility and charm of the game lies in its difficulties. Keep it rugged, baffling, hard to conquer, otherwise we shall soon tire of it and cast it aside.[/b] And so with putting greens. ... Let the clumsy, the spineless and the alibi artist stand aside!" His defense is still the rule of law at Oakmont. [/size][/color]

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

Double edged sword on this one.

Many courses that have some brown and golden hues of native grasses off of the fairway are beautiful while you are actually on the golf course playing. I think it has something to do with the contrast.

They do tend to look like crap on TV.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

This works at PH#2 because they could spend millions to make it work...Millions to make it look natural...lol...Lower end public courses don't have money to make the courses look natural. They just don't have irrigation systems,except by the greens. So...you get dead grass and dirt for fairways and rough??? I guess that's natural.. It's been my experience that most people don't care for this. If they/we do play courses like this...and we do...they/we are not gonna pay more than 25$...If you throw in burnt up greens into this equation...and that does happen...and no one wants to play those courses..
On the flip side...some years are wetter than others and you don't get the dead grass/dirt so much....that's natural..not making it look dead on purpose.There are plenty of public courses that will give you that natural look...but they have to do it the natural way...without spending tons of money...

Paul

[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1402927407' post='9505965']
Maintenance is going to be a disaster in the long run. The brown fairways edges will die out and be over taken by weeds, the waste area will turn into a wild jungle and become unplayable.

To keep the course in it's current condition will just as much work as a normal green course.
[/quote]

It looked shabby and run down. My friend called it a "shanty" major. LOL!

Maybe they are too cheap to water the grass because the club members are wealth cheap snobs. They should not play majors on old dusty course with brown grass. There are too many nice courses like Shinnecock, Oakmont, Whistling Straits, the one in WA state in 2015. Play places where the club actually waters the greens and fairways.

I know people turned off this major when they saw the brown grass. I watched some of it after my round at the local muni and people were laughing at how bad it looked. Theyu said very rude things about the shabby course. Like some club with dead grass run by hillbillys.

[quote name='Frankie Lob Wedge' timestamp='1402928772' post='9506093']
Maintenance is going to be a disaster in the long run. The brown fairways edges will die out and be over taken by weeds, the waste area will turn into a wild jungle and become unplayable.

To keep the course in it's current condition will just as much work as a normal green course.
[/quote]

Maybe they are too cheap to water the grass because the club members are wealth cheap snobs. They should not play majors on old dusty course with brown grass. There are too many nice courses like Shinnecock, Oakmont, Whistling Straits, the one in WA state in 2015. Play places where the club actually waters the greens and fairways.

I know people turned off this major when they saw the brown grass. I watched some of it after my round at the local muni and people were laughing at how bad it looked. Theyu said very rude things about the shabby course. Like some club with dead grass run by hillbillys.
[/quote]

I don't think the brown fairways were an issue at all. Its interesting that everyone praises the courses in Europe for being natural looking, but when a course in the US does the same thing everyone gets annoyed.

I've played each of the courses you mentioned in your post as well as a number of other top courses. They are great courses because of the design of the courses, not just because they have green grass everywhere. Yes, they are in great condition, but I would have no problem if they had some brown spots in the fairways.

I personally think this is great for golf. If more courses would be more strategic with the watering of the course we could potentially see lower operation costs. It won't lower greens fees, but we could potentially see rates hold steady over the next several years.

[quote name='marmooskapaul' timestamp='1402927547' post='9505977']
This works at PH#2 because they could spend millions to make it work...Millions to make it look natural...lol...Lower end public courses don't have money to make the courses look natural. They just don't have irrigation systems,except by the greens. So...you get dead grass and dirt for fairways and rough??? I guess that's natural.. It's been my experience that most people don't care for this. If they/we do play courses like this...and we do...they/we are not gonna pay more than 25$...If you throw in burnt up greens into this equation...and that does happen...and no one wants to play those courses..
On the flip side...some years are wetter than others and you don't get the dead grass/dirt so much....that's natural..not making it look dead on purpose.There are plenty of public courses that will give you that natural look...but they have to do it the natural way...without spending tons of money...

Paul
[/quote]

So most courses don't have the money to make it look natural, but the do have money to make it look....what? Unnatural?

The fact that Pinehurst #2 went from 55 million gallons of water a year down to 15-17 million after this renovation and removing 400 acres of rough is going to be more than enough to get more and more courses to at least rethink their methods. Save water on irrigation, save time/money on mowing. More interesting play.

Will every course pull off what #2 did, to that extent? No. But many are going to have to get creative with their water budgets in the upcoming years that's for sure. They are going to have to start questioning the wisdom of acres and acres of rough. They are going to have to justify every last drop of water they pay for.

So you may not want to play brown courses for more that $25, but when the only courses left that are the overwatered green monsters we see today charge $250 (or even worse, the Augusta Nationals of the world that most people can't get on for any price) we shall see what tune you are singing then.

[quote name='Frankie Lob Wedge' timestamp='1402928772' post='9506093']

[/quote]

[/quote]

If you think Chambers Bay will look different than this, I think you are going to be disappointed. Shinnecock gets pretty browned out when the open is there as well due to the typically breezy conditions. Pinehurst does water but they don't have irrigation on the edges of the fairways anymore, so the edges start to get brown. It's different but I definitely wouldn't describe it as shabby.

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

I think it depends on the area. FWIW Chambers will look brown. (EDIT: See pic above for what next year's US Open will look like.) That is the natural look for that type of course. It is gorgeous in person. However, it doesn't make for very good TV. Something about the brown while watching on the tube doesn't translate very well.

Callaway Rogue ST Max - Tensei AV White - 8*
Taylormade M3 HL - MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP - 4-G - Recoil 95 S - 2* upright

Callaway X-JAWS - 52/58*

Odyssey OWorks 2ball  -  34" - 1* loft - 71* lie
Slighter Proto 1 #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*

WITB Link

I paid $25 for exactly that yesterday and loved it. Goat tracks are pretty fun IMO. A true test of patience. Good golf.

I'd pay $500 for Augusta itself ... that's about it. :)

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]

[quote name='ryanarneson' timestamp='1402931478' post='9506399']
[quote name='marmooskapaul' timestamp='1402927547' post='9505977']

Paul
[/quote]

So most courses don't have the money to make it look natural, but the do have money to make it look....what? Unnatural?

The fact that Pinehurst #2 went from 55 million gallons of water a year down to 15-17 million after this renovation and removing 400 acres of rough is going to be more than enough to get more and more courses to at least rethink their methods. Save water on irrigation, save time/money on mowing. More interesting play.

Will every course pull off what #2 did, to that extent? No. But many are going to have to get creative with their water budgets in the upcoming years that's for sure. They are going to have to start questioning the wisdom of acres and acres of rough. They are going to have to justify every last drop of water they pay for.

So you may not want to play brown courses for more that $25, but when the only courses left that are the overwatered green monsters we see today charge $250 (or even worse, the Augusta Nationals of the world that most people can't get on for any price) we shall see what tune you are singing then.
[/quote]
The courses I'm talking about don't use much water now. They don't have watered fairways and rough, just greens. The only way they could use less is to stop watering the green...can't afford to do that.
My point was...we already have the brown courses in my and many areas. They are called cheap public courses...get out and enjoy them...I do...lol
Paul

[quote name='OldGolfer87' timestamp='1402934979' post='9506787']
Would any of you be happy with the brown burned out condition of fairways with patches which was close to dirt on some and hard greens that at times even reject good shots that were Pinehurst # 2...... if you were paying between 300 and 500 dollars for 18 holes ??? I know I wouldn't
[/quote]

I assume you're not booking a trip to Ireland or Scotland any time soon? The USGA and pinehurst put a lot of time and money into creating a great event. The fairways weren't brown because of poor maintenance.
There weren't too many really good shots that didn't hold the greens. For the most part, the shots that hit the green and trickled off did so because the player hit the ball to the wrong part of the green. It's a very well designed course and the players know going in that they need to hit the ball on a certain part of the green.

I may have missed it, but did you post during the masters when someone would hit the green but the ball would roll off the sides/front/back of the green.

Maybe I'm weird but I'd take pic #1 all day. LOVE it.

That's actually a great photo.