Let's Get Real: 200 Yards

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1405341041' post='9696169']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1405311148' post='9695285']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1405310002' post='9695213']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1405300408' post='9694225']
[quote name='MelloYello' timestamp='1405270562' post='9691683']
Sean, I'm a human being, and I'm impressed by that quality. It is NOT in everyone. It cannot exist in everyone. The great minds in our society don't worry about what others think. They don't concern themselves with the petty emotions of other people. They know that in time folks will learn, but that the course and progress in their lives will be slowed if they allow themselves to be caught up in it.

My sister has always been an inspiration because she has so little sympathy for herself and for other people. She believes that you should work hard to get anything and that you should suffer the appropriate punishments when they are self-inflicted and have arisen from your own stupidity. I absolutely LOVE seeing that in people. It's inspiring.

I love that she is so direct and that she's the type of person, so grounded in reality, that she'll immediately call someone on there being ridiculous. When you talk about people who'd rather quit than adjust tee boxes, I think of her and how she would, in that amazing pragmatism that only the fairer sex seems to posses, say good, 'F 'em.'

I feel sorry for them. I've been through hard times. I know what it is to suffer, but you can't go around trying to fix everyone's problem when they are indeed self-inflicted. We have to let people suffer as it is from that which they learn the most.

[b]By the same token, I have friends who are very sympathetic to other people, but it also happens that they held back in certain areas of their lives because they care too much. It is true that when you dwell on the suffering of other people, you will only bring that suffering to yourself as well. That isn't necessary. It doesn't help.[/b]
[/quote]

That's an interesting take Mello. Something to think about.
[/quote]

This thread is getting deep. Sean, you have a knack for starting
simple threads that grow into world changing philosophical
discussions. :rolleyes:
[/quote]

It took me a while to figure it out. On the surface Sean2 is the megathread god. Beneath it these threads are an outlet for him. He loves this game that much.

Sean2 even if you think you are overly caring just remember that nice things happen to nice people. BTW, tell me I'm wrong.
[/quote]

totally agree.....don't listen to the naysayers sean...empathy is an admirable trait.... I read you post on playing with someone whos having a bad round and finding yourself trying to "will" them to hit good ones and feeling bad if you hit a good one...... I thought I was the only one who had those thoughts on the course.... Its literally no fun "beating up" on someone who cant defend themselves...and your own scores do suffer because you find yourself worried about their play and not your own.... I get that... I don't see how anyone could argue that a person who has the ability to empathize with others is a more rounded individual compared to the guy who says "F-em , he doesn't practice as much as me so that's what he gets" . Then follows that up with a gut kick after a hole and tells the guy who just made triple bogey "hey maybe if you practiced a little more you could be a golf god like me".... now you tell me which guy would you rather play with????? I think its an easy choice ! One is the very definition of character, the other is a character flaw....you be the judge
[/quote]

Thanks Blade, I really appreciate it!

As I've said repeatedly...I just want to see people enjoy themselves. :-)

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1405350854' post='9697091']

Startzel, while I may not know Sean personally, there are many
on here that do and contradict the things you say about him.

Maybe rather than sticking to your guns maybe you....and DP4
might feel differently if you actually knew him.

Sean doesn't need me to defend him but it's getting a little
tiresome reading your and DP4s little "dig" posts. How about
giving it a rest.
[/quote]

Thanks Conrad...I could use the break. :-)

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1405371922' post='9699815']
[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1405311148' post='9695285']
It took me a while to figure it out. On the surface Sean2 is the megathread god. Beneath it these threads are an outlet for him. He loves this game that much.

Sean2 even if you think you are overly caring just remember that nice things happen to nice people. BTW, tell me I'm wrong.
[/quote]

I don't know DeNinny. There are at least a few people on this forum, who for some reason or another, have it in for me. I have no idea why. Frankly, it's getting old.

One has called me a liar, a troll, and dishonest. They both claim I tell others what clubs they should play, or tees they should hit from, which I have NEVER done. If anything, I'm just the opposite.

I get tired of defending myself from their obfuscations and misrepresentations.
[/quote]
Sean2 I really dont get it either. I just hope you dont get discouraged with posting.
Fyi to clarify I meant for you to tell me I'm wrong about loving this game of golf so much that you are compelled to create megathreads. Let me know if I am wrong about that, friend.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1405372116' post='9699851']
totally agree.....don't listen to the naysayers sean...empathy is an admirable trait.... I read you post on playing with someone whos having a bad round and finding yourself trying to "will" them to hit good ones and feeling bad if you hit a good one...... I thought I was the only one who had those thoughts on the course.... Its literally no fun "beating up" on someone who cant defend themselves...and your own scores do suffer because you find yourself worried about their play and not your own.... I get that... I don't see how anyone could argue that a person who has the ability to empathize with others is a more rounded individual compared to the guy who says "F-em , he doesn't practice as much as me so that's what he gets" . Then follows that up with a gut kick after a hole and tells the guy who just made triple bogey "hey maybe if you practiced a little more you could be a golf god like me".... now you tell me which guy would you rather play with????? I think its an easy choice ! One is the very definition of character, the other is a character flaw....you be the judge
[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't take my message the wrong way guys. Don't make this a black/white issue. I'm sure you've met a lot of strong-willed, driven people like the one I described and not come away thinking, 'hey, that person is the devil.'

To me, it's just amazing how different people can be. Some folks are born teachers, for example. It's just too hard to "learn" the empathy that's necessary to do that at certain levels, particularly with very young or disabled kids. I would never in my life have the patience to do that for hours on end, let alone weeks, months and years of my life, and I consider myself a decent teacher. Yet some folks just love doing it. I'd put nurses in that same category.

I will just never care enough about people to want to spend my life doing that, but I'm certainly happy knowing that those folks are out there and that I've come to know many of them in my life.

However, at the end of the day, I'd rather be like me than anyone I've met. I admire the folks on both sides, those that are very driven to excel in their own lives and those that are driven to help others. That said, you go too far the direction of the former and you're in complete isolation. To far the other and you'll just wind up depressed.

That was my intended message to Sean. I hate seeing people who are so worried about others' suffering that they let it hurt them. There's just no sense in it, no good that comes from letting that happen. It's like the inevitable depression that, each and every person is subjected to at some point in their lives. After emerging on the other side, there's really no lesson. There's really no 'good' that comes of it. There is no reason for it. There is no rationale escape from it.

I've seen it plenty from family and friends and I have no experiences that drive me to respect whatever human trait it is that wills one to suffer as though they were in place of another.

I'd say be empathetic, sure. But guard against becoming overwhelmed yourself.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Well said MelloYello and thanks because I could see how your first post could come across as callous to some. I too have nowhere near Sean2's empathy but I know the world would be a better place if more people cared about others like him.

For the record I only know Sean2 recently but since he is so articulate and prolific with his posts he has shown me enough of his character that I'm willing to go out on a limb and make those statements. He hasnt proven me wrong yet.

Registered Bladeocrat

I'm not trying to steal any thunder from this idea, or maybe I am, I don't know. But, what happened to practicing and if you don't practice and play often you aren't going to get good. Why should the golfers, that actually practice to improve their games, change the way that the game is played so that the guy who only plays 2 rounds per year can break 95?

[quote name='MelloYello' timestamp='1405391296' post='9701903']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1405372116' post='9699851']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't take my message the wrong way guys. Don't make this a black/white issue. I'm sure you've met a lot of strong-willed, driven people like the one I described and not come away thinking, 'hey, that person is the devil.'

To me, it's just amazing how different people can be. Some folks are born teachers, for example. It's just too hard to "learn" the empathy that's necessary to do that at certain levels, particularly with very young or disabled kids. I would never in my life have the patience to do that for hours on end, let alone weeks, months and years of my life, and I consider myself a decent teacher. Yet some folks just love doing it. I'd put nurses in that same category.

I will just never care enough about people to want to spend my life doing that, but I'm certainly happy knowing that those folks are out there and that I've come to know many of them in my life.

However, at the end of the day, I'd rather be like me than anyone I've met. I admire the folks on both sides, those that are very driven to excel in their own lives and those that are driven to help others. That said, you go too far the direction of the former and you're in complete isolation. To far the other and you'll just wind up depressed.

That was my intended message to Sean. I hate seeing people who are so worried about others' suffering that they let it hurt them. There's just no sense in it, no good that comes from letting that happen. It's like the inevitable depression that, each and every person is subjected to at some point in their lives. After emerging on the other side, there's really no lesson. There's really no 'good' that comes of it. There is no reason for it. There is no rationale escape from it.

I've seen it plenty from family and friends and I have no experiences that drive me to respect whatever human trait it is that wills one to suffer as though they were in place of another.

I'd say be empathetic, sure. But guard against becoming overwhelmed yourself.
[/quote]

very nice additional post.... I didn't mean to sound like i fired that directly at your head ....it takes all kinds for this world to turn.....My wife of nearly 14years is my polar opposite when it comes to empathy for others situation etc... i just realized through you posts that we keep each other in balance in that respect. Shes the type person who you will never take advantage of....and me , well i want to believe everything someone says.

well said

Srixon z745 9* rogue 60 125 TX 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='birdiemachine11' timestamp='1405397091' post='9702445']
I'm not trying to steal any thunder from this idea, or maybe I am, I don't know. But, what happened to practicing and if you don't practice and play often you aren't going to get good. Why should the golfers, that actually practice to improve their games, change the way that the game is played so that the guy who only plays 2 rounds per year can break 95?
[/quote]

This is the problem with this argument in that everyone wants someone else to change their behavior.

Even the OP plays from the back tees.

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1405426282' post='9703453']
[/quote]

This is the problem with this argument in that everyone wants someone else to change their behavior.

[/quote]

I read another thread where the OP played with other WRXers and they played the back tees but he didn't. You need to hire a fact-checker.

[quote name='skullshot' timestamp='1405474949' post='9708981']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I read another thread where the OP played with other WRXers and they played the back tees but he didn't. You need to hire a fact-checker.
[/quote]
My understanding from the OP and his subsequent posts is that he clearly just wants golfers to have fun to the point that he doesn't have fun if he doesn't see others having it.

It is blatantly obvious that is the point of this megathread if you are a careful reader and are posting to contribute to it.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1405475886' post='9709127']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
My understanding from the OP and his subsequent posts is that he clearly just wants golfers to have fun to the point that he doesn't have fun if he doesn't see others having it.

It is blatantly obvious that is the point of this megathread if you are a careful reader and are posting to contribute to it.
[/quote]

Well, it's certainly no fun playing with miserable people. But that
isn't the result of chosen tee boxes. That is the result of people
who choose to be miserable. In that case, play with different
people. :)

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1405480933' post='9709683']

[/quote]

[/quote]
And that is exactly where you and I agree and I hope gives a new perspective to Sean2.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1405480933' post='9709683']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I'm miserable. Does that mean you won't tee it up with me?

[quote name='skullshot' timestamp='1405482120' post='9709773']

[/quote]

So you're jaded, cynical.........and miserable. So we tee it up
and you shoot 70 from the back tees and I shoot 80 from the
middle tees. The wrong guy is miserable! :)

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1405484980' post='9710045']
[/quote]

[/quote]
You forgot to mention lonely*.

*By use of this adjective the author is simply stating his opinion on whether or not Conrad1953 interpreted, in jest, all of the qualities implied by skullshot's question. It is the author's opinion that Conrad1953 missed a key quality implied within the question only and is not the author's opinion of skullshot as a person or golfwrx entity.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1405485797' post='9710109']
[/quote]

[/quote]
You forgot to mention lonely*.

*By use of this adjective the author is simply stating his opinion on whether or not Conrad1953 interpreted, in jest, all of the qualities implied by skullshot's question. It is the author's opinion that Conrad1953 missed a key quality implied within the question only and is not the author's opinion of skullshot as a person or golfwrx entity.
[/quote]

Sorry, Skull, I missed that you are lonely as well. My bad.
I know it can be lonely on the back tees. Didn't realize how
much it was affecting you.

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1405486568' post='9710165']
[/quote]
Obviously. A little more empathy wouldn't have hurt now, would it?

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1405486914' post='9710187']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1405486568' post='9710165']
[/quote]
Obviously. A little more empathy wouldn't have hurt now, would it?
[/quote]

It seems Skull has gone missing. He might be out looking for Thug.
Skull, you find Thug yet? Come on in here. We're having an empathy
party.

[/quote]

[/quote]
Maybe if you played from the forward tees you wouldn't be so miserable.

Sean2, come back. Conrad1953 just isn't getting it. I need help.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1405487556' post='9710233']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If I shot 80 from the forward tees I'd be more miserable! :)

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1405488046' post='9710249']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Well then don't invite Sean2 into your group then. I wouldn't want him to see that. No telling what he would do.

Registered Bladeocrat

[quote name='DeNinny' timestamp='1405488359' post='9710265']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1405488046' post='9710249']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Well then don't invite Sean2 into your group then. I wouldn't want him to see that. No telling what he would do.
[/quote]

He would tell me to move back to the tips cause he knows
if I could shoot 80 from the tips I'd be a happy camper. :rolleyes:

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1405489219' post='9710291']
DeNinny, I guess we better stand down. Looks like Skull
wants to take it from here. I know Skull. You don't mess
with Skull. Startzel's in deep doodoo.
[/quote]
I'm with you on that.

Sean2, keep keeping it real.

Registered Bladeocrat

[/quote]

[/quote]

I was out and then your post pulled me back in. I work for free BTW ;)

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1390623848' post='8527753']
I play golf on my home course 99% of the time...unlimited greens fees...and I play the back tees 70% of the time and the middle tees 30% of the time. You were saying? :-)
[/quote]

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That wouldn't surprise me. If I were a middle handicap I wouldn't play from the back against the better wrx players either.

However, I'm not sure how that contradicts his thread complaining about his partner upset at him because he chose to play from the back tees?