2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Let's Get Real: 200 Yards

Just checked the score card, actually 512yrds..so only 387 :taunt::taunt: . Since the tee shot is blind their is a forecaddie on the hole to let you know when to hit and if you are safe or not (ie should you hit a provisional).

I got down there and asked where it was..he said "way down there, right side of the fairway. You probably have about 125yrds to the hole". Got to my ball and lasered the pin and it was exactly 125.

Despite that..I still play the forward mens tees most of the time (6000-6500yards max)

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know that hole ;)
Didn't know they started putting a marshal out there.
Playing from the silver tees (white), hitting the bone-dry waste area does a heckuva job of propelling tee shots down the fairway. The elevation and prevailing wind sure help too.
From the gold tees (blue) it's like playing a lengthier par 3 off the tee, but with a massive green to aim at.

Must be one of the single stupidest holes in Northern California, on what is otherwise an excellent layout.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Played a course in Orlando last summer that (from the regular men's tees) that included a par 3 with over 200 yards of carry over a bunch of water. The total distance of the hole was over 230. (like 236) Many players pulled driver and hooked their shot into the aqua. I opted to lay up. The lady's tees were about 120 from the pin. It was a really nice big (dry) tee area. I hit GW-PW onto the green and sank a 15 footer for the par. After the round others in the league were asking me what I had hit since I was one of only a couple who had managed a par.

These tees were 6200 and some change but this one par three cost several players dearly. Course management really takes on a new meaning on holes such as that one.

Callaway Epic with Fujikura 62s in 45.25 set at 12.5*
Taylormade Rbz FW (17*)
Callaway X-Hot Pro 20* Hybrid
Callaway Steelhead 4-PW w/KBS 90s
Titleist Vokey 50*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 56*
Titleist Vokey SM-6 60-08 M
Tad Moore TM-1 35"
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='Medic' timestamp='1404181635' post='9612735']
Played a course in Orlando last summer that (from the regular men's tees) that included a par 3 with over 200 yards of carry over a bunch of water. The total distance of the hole was over 230. (like 236) Many players pulled driver and hooked their shot into the aqua. I opted to lay up. The lady's tees were about 120 from the pin. It was a really nice big (dry) tee area. I hit GW-PW onto the green and sank a 15 footer for the par. After the round others in the league were asking me what I had hit since I was one of only a couple who had managed a par.

These tees were 6200 and some change but this one par three cost several players dearly. Course management really takes on a new meaning on holes such as that one.
[/quote]

Now see, that was manly for you to play it that way...and smart. :)

There's a par 5 on the Judge course where I play where we can't
even reach the ladies tee box with our drives. We play with a gal
in our group sometimes and we hit 2 shots before she even tees it
up. It's a brute of a hole, lol.

[quote name='duffer987' timestamp='1404180042' post='9612551']
I know that hole ;)
Didn't know they started putting a marshal out there.
Playing from the silver tees (white), hitting the bone-dry waste area does a heckuva job of propelling tee shots down the fairway. The elevation and prevailing wind sure help too.
From the gold tees (blue) it's like playing a lengthier par 3 off the tee, but with a massive green to aim at.

Must be one of the single stupidest holes in Northern California, on what is otherwise an excellent layout.
[/quote]yeah it wasn't bad minus that hole, good layout to account for the wind and elevation. have you played lake chabot? Some very similar stupid holes there as well.

Oh jeez, yes of course 18! That is bonkers.
Definitely the 200yd drivers would get their long of the day there. Wouldn't matter the tee box.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1404165324' post='9610673']
Maddog, I see that often too. Many golfers think their "average" yardage with any club is the longest they ever hit that particular club.

[b]Generally[/b] speaking I do the following:

I figure most greens are 30 yards deep. If I have 140 to the middle of the green I know I have 155 to the back and 125 to the front. If there is a hazard in front of the green I will take my 150 club. If I hit it will I am on the back of the green. If I mishit it slightly I am on the front of the green. If I mishit my 140 club I am in the hazard.

If anything I over club. If I had a dime for every time I've seen a golfer come up short, I would be quite well to do.

ps: I would be laying up on that hole you mentioned.
pps: I only know two people who could carry the hazard.
[/quote]

Yea it's a lot longer than it seems, and your eyes will trick you. Standing on the tee box it doesn't look that far to carry it over the water, so you naturally think you can make it but it takes quite a drive to get one over. Laying up is the smart play for anyone that isn't an extremely long hitter because of the risk/reward associated with it. Granted, if you carry it you can hit like a 6 iron into the green as your second shot on a par 5, but if you don't clear the water then you have basically already removed any chance of making birdie. If you lay up, it can still be reached in two if you absolutely crush a 3W because the last 60 yards or so to the green slope down towards the putting surface for some added distance. If not though, you have a wedge in your hand and still a decent chance to get up and down for birdie. It's an easy hole and a great birdie opportunity for anyone that doesn't remove their chance of making birdie by hitting one in the water. Unfortunately though, most people do... And no matter how many balls you have hit in the pond, I can personally attest that every time you step on the tee box you think you can clear it. It just doesn't look that far to the eye. It's like a Tin Cup moment. I always stand there and look at it thinking "I can make this shot," only to find out that I was wrong. I finally just made the commitment that no matter the circumstances I'm laying up every time, and my average score on that hole has dropped as a result.

Long time lurker first time poster.

I'll just say[b] I'M [/b]the guy who drives it about 200, maybe a little more if I turn bigger, but I've learned to play better with a shorter swing.

On a course with 5500 yards and an average-ish slope (109 is my most played course's white tees at 5500), I can break 90. At 5700-5800 and a slightly higher slope I will get low 90's. These are good distances and slopes for me because it makes the game more enjoyable and more relaxing for me. It's even still fun around 6000, though here I start to miss a few more GIR. That's ok there's still up and down for a bogey, but some more doubles than I'd like.

But if I get to a course and the second tees back are 6300 yards, I know I'm getting a 100, because I just can't get enough shots at GIR. Even if I'm GIR+1 I'm an amateur and I'm not getting up and down on 18 holes in a row.

[quote name='bzelbubba' timestamp='1404336878' post='9625863']
Long time lurker first time poster.

I'll just say[b] I'M [/b]the guy who drives it about 200, maybe a little more if I turn bigger, but I've learned to play better with a shorter swing.

On a course with 5500 yards and an average-ish slope (109 is my most played course's white tees at 5500), I can break 90. At 5700-5800 and a slightly higher slope I will get low 90's. These are good distances and slopes for me because it makes the game more enjoyable and more relaxing for me. It's even still fun around 6000, though here I start to miss a few more GIR. That's ok there's still up and down for a bogey, but some more doubles than I'd like.

But if I get to a course and the second tees back are 6300 yards, I know I'm getting a 100, because I just can't get enough shots at GIR. Even if I'm GIR+1 I'm an amateur and I'm not getting up and down on 18 holes in a row.
[/quote]

Welcome to the forum!

You are also playing smart golf. :-)

I think USGA should just make handicaps free. Let everyone sign up, get a handicap and get a card. Then each course should move the starter or marshal to the first tee. If you even think about tees that are "back" you should have to present the card. For weekend warriors who don't care to sign up for a card, you play the whites, at around 5800-6200 yards and you stay on those white tees. I'd even venture to say you put a flag of the tee box color on the card so marshals from afar can see if you're in the right place or not.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

[quote name='markheardjr' timestamp='1404424720' post='9633177']
I think USGA should just make handicaps free. Let everyone sign up, get a handicap and get a card. Then each course should move the starter or marshal to the first tee. If you even think about tees that are "back" you should have to present the card. For weekend warriors who don't care to sign up for a card, you play the whites, at around 5800-6200 yards and you stay on those white tees. I'd even venture to say you put a flag of the tee box color on the card so marshals from afar can see if you're in the right place or not.
[/quote]
I can see it now...
"Someone stole the black flag from my cart when I was getting a hot dog at the turn and left me a white flag in its place"

However, I do think it's a great idea

I drive the ball about 240ish, and 265ish when I hit one solidly, and my 7i is my 160yd club. I'm a 16hcp. I usually play the 6050 tees with my buddies, which gives me a chance to reach every par 4 with a decent drive, and the shorter par 5s in two with two really good shots. Recently I started playing in some club events after joining a club, and all non-senior men play the 6500yd tees. My game was really no worse for the wear from there. I couldn't reach any par 5s in two, but could still reach the par 4s with driver-7i unless I sprayed or duffed my tee shot. I didn't hit more than 7i on any par 3, as the middle of the greens weren't any more than 160 out on any hole. My pace of play was the same as it always is, and but for an uncharacteristic blow up stretch of 3 holes on the front nine, my scores and GIRs were no more than a shot or two off normal.

The USGA defines a scratch golfer as having the ability to hit it 250yds from the tee. In other words, if you can hit a tee ball 250 and a 7iron 150, you have the distance to play almost any course around 6600yds to par. I have played more than a few rounds with guys that are so accurate with their hybrids and irons that they threaten par even though I'm two clubs longer than they are through the bag. Distance makes the game easier, but accuracy allows you to score. I bet there are tons of players that have as much of a chance to break 80 from the whites as they do the blues, because it's accuracy, not distance that holds them back.

Now if you have to hit woods into a majority of the par 4s, yeah, move up a box...

Cobra King Speedzone 9* | Fujikura Atmos black shaft
Cobra King Speedzone Big Tour 3W 
Cobra King Tec 2Hy 
JPX 850 4i | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
Mizuno Pro 223 5i-PW | N.S. Pro 950GH S-flex
JPX 850 Forged GW | N.S. Pro 850GH S-flex
MP-T5 54* & 58*
Scotty Cameron Studio Design 1.5 Custom

I think a major part of why many people feel the need to play tees that are too long is because of the label that is attached to them. My course has the following sets of tees:

Red: Women
Yellow: Seniors
White: Mens
Blue: Pros

I don't understand why these labels have to be attached to each set of tees. I took my father-in-law golfing last year who hasn't really ever played before and knows very little about the game, but when I suggested he play the red tees he responded with "Those are for the women, aren't they?" I had to say yes, but I told him they are also for beginners and he agreed to play from there. I see so many people that are very new to the game playing from the white tees because they are for "men." I think if you labeled them differently, guys wouldn't be so reluctant to tee it forward. Some courses have gotten on board with this, but many haven't. A much more appropriate labeling would be:

Red: Beginners
Yellow: Novice
White: Intermediate
Blue: Advanced

The women would obviously still play from the red, but I don't think men that are new to the game would be as reluctant to tee it forward if they didn't feel de-masculated by playing the "women's" tees. Seems like they would be more accepting of playing "beginner" or "novice" tees.

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1404182225' post='9612801']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hey Conrad, my group is playing Prattville a week from Saturday. Have they added purple tees up there? We are trying to decide whether to play whites or orange. We used to play the whites down here, but the new set of tees basically put the orange tees where the whites used to be (middle set of five tees). Plenty long for me from there at 6400.

[quote name='moods14' timestamp='1403972844' post='9596917']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1403923392' post='9594559']
Moving up isn't about distance alone. It's about distance WITH
accuracy. People think they shouldn't move up just because
they hit the ball far. That's not a helpful way to think about it.

People are better served thinking about ball "control". The key
to better scoring is better ball control. You should want to play
with clubs in your hand that you can control.

And people who come on here and say being "out of control"
with their golf ball is fun; to those I have to call BS.

Even people who don't necessarily care about score and
relish the occasional flushed 3 iron blade are striving for
ball control.

I have yet to encounter a golfer who launches a drive into
the woods and wants to do it more. And I have yet to encounter
a golfer who doesn't wish to play better.

Distance is cool. Ball control is cooler. Distance and ball control
is coolest. Ball control without distance is better than distance
without ball control.
[/quote]

I disagree, I struggle with accuracy but can hit it fairly long (not WRX long) but when I play from the second most forward tees, it brings the trouble closer to my tee shots, and gives me awkward in between distances on most PAR4's. I'd much rather have a 110 yard shot than, a 70-80 yard shot. Also, I seem to find more FW bunkers when playing more forward tees. Now I realize this has to do with my accuracy but when I play from the Blue's on my Home course I know my distances and where to hit the ball to avoid trouble. Trouble finds me from the whites. My score's are the same for the most part between 6300 White's and 6700-6800 yard Blues.
[/quote]

That's why I like to play from different tees from time to time. The first time I played forward at my home course I thought "I'm going to kill this!" I expected driver/wedge on every hole. It turns out that there aren't that many holes at my home course where hitting from the forward tees makes too much difference, because mostly you're hitting into doglegs or having to carry 300+ to cover the hazard that was a danger from the back tees if you really ripped one. So mostly I teed off with 5 or 6i and had the same club in my hand for my second shot that I'd have had hitting driver or 3w from the back tees.

Of course there was one par 5 where playing from forward meant that my horribly pulled 6i that should have been buried in the woods went over the trees and ended up at the 150 marker. But I also found out that I can miss a green with a wedge just as easily as with a 7i, so I still took 3 to get on (and 2 more to get down, to my shame).

After working in the club fitting business, my impression is that this statistic is correct. Especially if you consider the more elderly portion of the golfing community.

As far playing the correct tees, I couldn't agree more that the average golfer is playing tees that are way too far back. Golf should be about fun, not letting your ego rule and getting destroyed by a course that you're hitting 3 woods into par 4s all day. Play it forward!

[quote name='Maddog10' timestamp='1404827280' post='9658865']
I think a major part of why many people feel the need to play tees that are too long is because of the label that is attached to them. My course has the following sets of tees:

Red: Women
Yellow: Seniors
White: Mens
Blue: Pros

I don't understand why these labels have to be attached to each set of tees. I took my father-in-law golfing last year who hasn't really ever played before and knows very little about the game, but when I suggested he play the red tees he responded with "Those are for the women, aren't they?" I had to say yes, but I told him they are also for beginners and he agreed to play from there. I see so many people that are very new to the game playing from the white tees because they are for "men." I think if you labeled them differently, guys wouldn't be so reluctant to tee it forward. Some courses have gotten on board with this, but many haven't. A much more appropriate labeling would be:

Red: Beginners
Yellow: Novice
White: Intermediate
Blue: Advanced

The women would obviously still play from the red, but I don't think men that are new to the game would be as reluctant to tee it forward if they didn't feel de-masculated by playing the "women's" tees. Seems like they would be more accepting of playing "beginner" or "novice" tees.
[/quote]

it was kinda funny in thailand, when we overtook a group of 5 people in front of us. on the next teebox, my friend, who played first time ever in life, stepped to the front tees and missed the ball twice before making contact. the group was complaining why the caddys let us overtake them. it was quite funny. okay, i bombed 340yds from the backtees and after that they shutted up but i don't see any problems to let beginners play from "the lady tees". its just fair. thats everything. why should they play a 600yds par5, as the first hole in life they ever play when it can be a 440yds one - what means, 3 strokes less...

//btw: with a profriend i played once the lady tees. accuracy is everything. it gives you a different view for the same course you play twice a week

I think another issue with the average golfer is that they do not know what their actual skill level is regardless of handicap. We have plenty of talk about how distance is an issue and less club in would help which in general is true to am extent. A lot of higher handicaps even mid to near single digit handicaps struggle more with short game. Tough flag locations like tucked pins or hard breakers in my opinion are what add to slow play not necessarily long holes. At the club I used to work at there were plenty of higher handicaps that could drive the ball some right along with the big hitters others just average but 2nd shot or 3rd shots is where their game really struggles. Can a shorter 2nd shot make it easier for them to hit the green sure. But the average golfer thinks he can hit the flag or believes he can get it close if he catches it perfect. Just like those who think if I catch it just right I might hit that group ahead or hit that par 5 in two. A shorter course most guys will probably slow down on par 5s bc everyone would believe they could reach it which usually isn't the case for the average golfer. Sorry if my thoughts are a little disorganized. My general point comes down to me believing the lack of short game skills for the average golfer along with tougher flag placements adds to slow play outside of those who don't play ready golf. Weekend warriors aren't there to break records or improve their handicap just drink and play with buddies maybe a few side bets and glorify that one great shot that hit that day etc. Set up the greens on a simpler set up maybe move the tee boxes up. Slow play is brutal, frustrating to the better player...but enjoying good company with those who love the game as much as you can make those hours worth it. Public courses can't control skill level, but they do what they can to manage the pace even if it just comes to course set up. Play on

Callaway Razr Fit 10.5° S+ Diamana Blueboard 63 Stiff Flex
Callaway Razr Hawk 3 wood TC 14° Diamana Kail'i 70 Stiff Flex
Adams D-hy 21° Aldila Tour Blue Stiff Flex
Callaway X-Utility Prototype iron 24° 6.0
Srixon i-506 irons 5-PW 6.0
Titleist SM5 F Grind 50°
Callaway MD2 Tour Grind 58°
Wilson Staff 8883 Milled Putter

I hate all this "speed" up play nonsense, everyone wants to speed up play until they are the ones that need speeded up. Golf is a leisure sport. It's gonna eat some clock, so what. Thats the point. Courses love the issue cause they see it as increasing revenue and don't have to be the ones making the argument.

Ping G410 10*  Fujikuri 40g shaft
TM  15* & 19* fairway

TM 790  6-PW

Cleveland 52,56,60  wedges
1990's 2ball

[quote name='teckneeklyperfect' timestamp='1404859794' post='9662365']
I hate all this "speed" up play nonsense, everyone wants to speed up play until they are the ones that need speeded up. Golf is a leisure sport. It's gonna eat some clock, so what. Thats the point. Courses love the issue cause they see it as increasing revenue and don't have to be the ones making the argument.
[/quote]

I've mentioned it before. I don't quite get these guys who boast their foursome played a round of golf in three hours. They talk about how they love to play golf and get out on the course, and then it seems they can't wait to get off the course. :-)

6100 is ok for a 200 yard drive. Not sure what courses you guys are talking about but 6100 par 72 is really not that long. But, I believe you should play tees where you have choices off the tee, meaning not 14 drivers. If you were to go by that, than yes, 5700 or so would be more appropriate.

Problem starts when you have the middle tees at 6500-6700.

Bettinardi Golf Kuchar #2
Callaway Razr Hawk
Callaway Razr Hawk 3W
TaylorMade SLDR 19H
Mizuno JPX 825-Pro 4-Pw
Wedges: undecided

[quote name='sopel10' timestamp='1404861131' post='9662485']
6100 is ok for a 200 yard drive. Not sure what courses you guys are talking about but 6100 par 72 is really not that long. But, I believe you should play tees where you have choices off the tee, meaning not 14 drivers. If you were to go by that, than yes, 5700 or so would be more appropriate.

Problem starts when you have the middle tees at 6500-6700.
[/quote]

Which is ridiculous.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1404860109' post='9662403']
[/quote]

I've mentioned it before. I don't quite get these guys who boast their foursome played a round of golf in three hours. They talk about how they love to play golf and get out on the course, and then it seems they can't wait to get off the course. :-)
[/quote]

You do realize that maybe that is how they enjoy the game and that there are different ways of having fun. Maybe they have a limited amount of time...maybe they play 36...maybe they play from the back tees in 3 hours and that's how they enjoy their round. We should let people decide how they enjoy their round and not be too judgmental as long as they don't disrupt other's round.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1404862876' post='9662625']
[/quote]

[/quote]

You do realize that maybe that is how they enjoy the game and that there are different ways of having fun. Maybe they have a limited amount of time...maybe they play 36...maybe they play from the back tees in 3 hours and that's how they enjoy their round. We should let people decide how they enjoy their round and not be too judgmental as long as they don't disrupt other's round.
[/quote]

You do realize that one is not judging but simply pointing out an irony? That is allowed, isn't it? Or, should I check with you before I submit a post? To make sure it passes the DavePelz test? Or, if you are too busy, I could check with your pal Sartzel?

You seem to enjoy following me around...

Weird...

Some days playing quickly and getting other stuff done is way more important than getting in touch with the artificially manicured version of nature most city courses provide.

But if I'm lucky enough to be on vacation and playing a course like Banff Springs or Predator Ridge then it's okay if the pace is slower. I never want to leave places like that. If I just want to get out in nature though, I just get on my bike and head out on one of my town's many bike trails through the trees.

MP600
Cleveland Launcher (09) 15*
Cleveland TA7 2-iron DG S/L
Cleveland TA1 3-9
Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58
Cleveland Classic 2

[quote name='Gap22' timestamp='1404828879' post='9659045']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1404182225' post='9612801']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Hey Conrad, my group is playing Prattville a week from Saturday. Have they added purple tees up there? We are trying to decide whether to play whites or orange. We used to play the whites down here, but the new set of tees basically put the orange tees where the whites used to be (middle set of five tees). Plenty long for me from there at 6400.
[/quote]

Hey Gap, all 5 sets have been there as far as I can remember. They
did move the orange and white tees 3-4 years ago with the whites
playing at approx 6000 and orange 6500. You can get the actual
numbers on line if they still show the scorecards on there. I haven't
looked in awhile.

As you know, though, the tee boxes and greens are so large the
scorecard yardages are just a "go by". The actual yardages on each
hole can vary greatly by tee and pin placements.

We're playing the Judge this Sat and Senator on Sun. I'll hit a few
balls in the water on the Judge for you so you can save a few strokes. :)

[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1404864565' post='9662777']
Some days playing quickly and getting other stuff done is way more important than getting in touch with the artificially manicured version of nature most city courses provide.

But if I'm lucky enough to be on vacation and playing a course like Banff Springs or Predator Ridge then it's okay if the pace is slower. I never want to leave places like that. If I just want to get out in nature though, I just get on my bike and head out on one of my town's many bike trails through the trees.
[/quote]

I've been up there, but didn't play golf at the time. Did some hiking in the area. Breathtaking. :-)

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1404863727' post='9662719']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1404862876' post='9662625']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

You do realize that one is not judging but simply pointing out an irony? That is allowed, isn't it? Or, should I check with you before I submit a post? To make sure it passes the DavePelz test? Or, if you are too busy, I could check with your pal Sartzel?

You seem to enjoy following me around...

Weird...
[/quote]I love being on the golf course on a nice sunny day, enjoying the course, friends, and the challenge. What I don't like is needlessly waiting on every hole and struggling with staying focused and in the game. I see too many people playing the wrong tees, not playing ready golf, checking 10 different angles before putting, and all of these habits hurt their score. These habits also slow down the game. Those who love getting out to the course and playing don't necessarily want to spend the whole day on the course needlessly, they have more important things to do in their lives, like spending quality time with their families. Just because they want to play ready golf does not mean they don't love the game of golf. Golf etiquette surely includes proper pace of play. I also don't see the point of seeing how fast I can play a round, that would take away enjoyment too.

[/quote]

[/quote]

We regularly play in three hours. It's not that we're in a hurry to get off the course. It's simply that everyone is ready to hit when it's their turn. And nobody takes long over the ball. If a group is taking over four hours on an average course, I believe they're adding extra, unnecessary time. And that's ok too, if that is the way they enjoy their game. As long as it doesn't impact another groups enjoyment of their game......a group that plays in three hours. The caveat, as always, if there is room for the faster group to go through.

And it's not boasting about pace, it's simply factual. We play fast, it's simply what is is. And we all love to play as much as anyone else, just at a faster pace.

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1404874389' post='9663911']
[/quote]

[/quote]

We regularly play in three hours. It's not that we're in a hurry to get off the course. It's simply that everyone is ready to hit when it's their turn. And nobody takes long over the ball. If a group is taking over four hours on an average course, I believe they're adding extra, unnecessary time. And that's ok too, if that is the way they enjoy their game. As long as it doesn't impact another groups enjoyment of their game......a group that plays in three hours. The caveat, as always, if there is room for the faster group to go through.

And it's not boasting about pace, it's simply factual. We play fast, it's simply what is is. And we all love to play as much as anyone else, just at a faster pace.
[/quote]

Speed of play has many factors,

#1 Some Walk and some drive,
#2 Skill, if someone is hacking around the course vs someone hitting fairways and GIR no need to waste time on shots

I play with an Early morning Saturday group, I "boast" that we can do a round in 3 hours our less, Granted we ride carts, everyone is pretty decent and we are out there to play. We are not rushing but it goes fast because we all know how to "play" per-say.

So speed factor comes down really to the guy hitting 1 or 2 OB on, 1 hole, driving around, looking for his ball cant find it, has to drive back to the tee. then take 9 to get to the green, realizes that he has a blow up hole and takes 5 minutes to study his putt for a 10...........

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"