2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Let's Get Real: 200 Yards

[quote name='Startzel' timestamp='1403579047' post='9563459']
Thank you for the doing the research duffer. I was thinking to myself, I know I've read this story at least half a dozen times.

I couldn't give a bippity bop which tee someone plays.
[/quote]

Yeah, me too. I thought, "I've seen this at least 2 or 3 times" and he confirmed it.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can guarantee that people have sworn on the course, made excuses and left greens early and said they had fun. It's just ironic that the guy who talks about not judging or having people judge him for playing a certain type of clubs has such a keen insight to determine that some one, he just admittedly met shortly before, knows if someone had fun or not.

If they said we did not have fun, ok. But maybe aspects of their life have been so bad of late that the time on the golf course provided a brief period of happiness that wasn't apparent in their stentorian voices.

To this point, I remember last year seeing a foursome teeing off in front of us playing the back tees. They did not look like low handicappers at all, and I was worried for a split second it was going to be a slow round.

That was the last time I saw them all day - ridiculously fast players, even though I would see them hacking it around a bit. That's all that matters.

[quote name='Titleist%20670' timestamp='1403579079' post='9563467']
I still think slow players will be slow and fast players will be fast. Asking "what is the fun of shooting 100 (or whatever score)" is kind of silly. Someone who shoots 65s could ask someone who shoots 80 what is the fun of shooting 80? Go play a 4500 yard course.

The person who shoots 80 would say "well I play in 3 hours, why do you care?"

If people play 6500 yards in 3 hours, I couldn't care less.
[/quote]

Great post, it's amazing how many people on wrx seemingly ignore perspective. The group in front of you is always going to seem too slow and the group coming behind you always seem too fast.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403579187' post='9563479']
I can guarantee that people have sworn on the course, made excuses and left greens early and said they had fun. It's just ironic that the guy who talks about not judging or having people judge him for playing a certain type of clubs has such a keen insight to determine that some one, he just admittedly met shortly before, knows if someone had fun or not.

If they said we did not have fun, ok. But maybe aspects of their life have been so bad of late that the time on the golf course provided a brief period of happiness that wasn't apparent in their stentorian voices.
[/quote]

Not to mention I've never met a hot head who swears, makes excuses, or throws clubs that I thought would stop doing that if they played 300 yards closer over the course of 18 holes.

[/quote]

Maybe they were wearing mood rings? ;)

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1403578799' post='9563423']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403576714' post='9563131']
[quote name='ABgolfer2' timestamp='1403576543' post='9563099']
[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1403575970' post='9562997']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403575745' post='9562969']
The OP isn't following the thread but...if the group in front of you is on, or ahead of pace, do you care about their tee box choice, score or choice of clubs?
[/quote]

If theyre on pace I couldnt care if they were playing with Crochet Mallets :)
[/quote]

Maybe they'll make us new putter covers at the 19th hole.
[/quote]

Real croquet players use blades, not croquet mallets.
[/quote]

I smell i new thread coming, Mallets vs Blades on CroquetWRX ;)
[/quote]

Just to make sure, do you play with the right wickets? Wouldn't want you to play with the wrong ones.

[quote name='Pigems' timestamp='1403579367' post='9563503']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Duh...thanks for proving I'm stupid! How obvious.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403579539' post='9563513']
[

Just to make sure, do you play with the right wickets? Wouldn't want you to play with the wrong ones.
[/quote]

Only Endo Forged wickets for me, and their baby wickets too of course, only for the more experienced player ya know ;)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name=%26amp%3B%2339%3BDavePelz4%26amp%3B%2339%3B timestamp='1403579187' post='9563479']

[/quote]

Maybe they were wearing mood rings?
[/quote]

Ah! so that's what the ping color code system is for!

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403579685' post='9563543']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Duh...thanks for proving I'm stupid! How obvious.
[/quote]

No worries, i wont tell anyone. Your secret is safe with me sir :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1403577593' post='9563259']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403577447' post='9563245']
What about the stentorian voices?
[/quote]

What about them? Does being obtuse come naturally, or is it something you have had to work at?
[/quote]

Wow...for some reason Cyndi Lauper and True Colors just started on the iPod. Isn't it ironic...that she was followed by Alanis Morissette?

[/quote]

And you, of course being the expert can tell when someone is having fun or not, but cannot.

It's interesting that all you like to do is criticize in your posts. That's easy to do, and usually the sign of a...never mind.

I didn't judge. I observed. It's funny how you know the people I played a round of golf with had fun, yet you were not there. Yet, I was there, observed their behavior, and am totally wrong in my assessment.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403580041' post='9563589']
[/quote]

What about them? Does being obtuse come naturally, or is it something you have had to work at?
[/quote]

Wow...for some reason Cyndi Lauper and True Colors just started on the iPod. Isn't it ironic...that she was followed by Alanis Morissette?
[/quote]

I wouldn't know. I listen to Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Mozart, and the like. Not that top 40 pablum.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403574962' post='9562879']
[quote name='JimNewton' timestamp='1403574639' post='9562817']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403573641' post='9562651']
There is a certain irony in saying someone should be able to play whatever clubs they choose but can't play whatever tees they choose.
[/quote]

Well the point is when someone plays the very wrong tee it starts to affect others around them. If there's nobody around and you drive the ball 100 yards, sure play the championship tees if you'd like. (have fun with that...) :)
[/quote]

Jim is the same true with club choice?
[/quote]

Technically I guess, but come on that's a stretch and not to the same degree. if you have some genius out there playing with lefty clubs but swinging right handed, yeah, that might affect everyone. Greatly. :)

But a beginner golfer playing the blue tees is not the same level as if he were to plays the golds with misfitting clubs. The problem is simply people that can't hit the ball in general.

[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno MP-650 8.5[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- Fubuki alpha 73s, D4[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB5 16.5[/font]° - Kai'li 73s, D5[/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TEE CB2 21[/font]° - Fubuki tour 73s, D6
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-32 4-P [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D6 - D9[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Mizuno [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]MP-T 51.07[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]D9.5[/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist SM 56.08[/font]°[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]PX 5.5[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif], [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]E0[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Sonartec t35 60.09[/font][/size][size=2]° [/size][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=2]- PX 5.5 E0.5[/size][/font]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]CAN'T PUTT WITH ANYTHING[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Bridgestone B330 RX[/font][/size]

[/quote]

[/quote]
[b]Duh...thanks for proving I'm stupid![/b] How obvious.
[/quote]

You won't get any argument from me.

You are putting words into my mouth Sean2. You did judge, hence the word stentorian.

Hmmm...all I do is criticize in posts? Let's see...today, i offered praise for Michelle Wie's parents in a thread where you criticized what her friends called her as a nickname. I praised Stacy Lewis for her congratulating Wiesy after her win. I also contacted the LPGA to find out how the money Stephanie Meadow made in the USWO impacted her status on the LPGA and posted the response from the VP of LPGA Tour Operations.

Those are facts that can be easily supported. In response, it's the same post that has been made numerous times with a really big and apparently important word.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1403580594' post='9563647']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[b]Duh...thanks for proving I'm stupid![/b] How obvious.
[/quote]

You won't get any argument from me.
[/quote]

Love it!

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1403580512' post='9563639']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldn't know. I listen to Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, Mozart, and the like. Not that top 40 pablum.
[/quote]

It's such a shame that Stairway to Heaven wasn't top 40, which is probably because it was never released as a single.

[quote name='diehllane' timestamp='1403570302' post='9562173']
[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1403569288' post='9562041']
Here's a local course that is a good test @ 6253 from the White tees (middle). When I get to the 446 par 4 it takes two great hits by me to reach the green. Although one time I hit over the green with my 5 wood approach shot. My landing distance is usually at about the 200 yard marker. One 400 yard hole per 9 is plenty enough.
[/quote]
I actually really like how this scorecard suggests which tees to play based on the handicap...including showing which women should be playing the white and blues. That helps to prevent any specific set from being the "women's" tees.
If only all scorecards went to this system...new golfers would learn to play the correct tees for their swing, rather than their gender.
[/quote]Good points, I like the HC/tee suggestions too. I wonder how many people who think they can play the back tees really know what their HC is? Still, I like seeing it written on the card.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1403581717' post='9563759']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It's such a shame that Stairway to Heaven wasn't top 40, which is probably because it was never released as a single.
[/quote]

I saw Zeppelin in concert In San Bernardino, Ca in 1969 or 70.
They were all drugged up and performed an incoherent "jam"
and were roundly booed by most of us.

I am amused how many from those days are put an a pedestal.
I saw most of them live. Few were good on stage away from the
gimmicks of a recording studio.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Are we becoming a bit too judgmental?

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1403579813' post='9563553']
I have yet to encounter these 200 yd short knockers. Maybe
because I play at a more upscale public facility and they are
at the local muni?

All the "old" guys I play with, including myself, are the short
knockers hitting it 230 -250. The younger guys are hitting it.
WRX distance, lol.
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat. Nearly all the guys I've played with over the years hit it more than 200 yds off the tee consistantly. There was one guy that hit it 180, but it was straight down the middle every time. As far as the weak golfers playing the back tees, I saw that only occasionally (and it annoyed the heck out of me) but it wasn't the constant problem that others seem to have.

[quote name='skullshot' timestamp='1403584050' post='9563939']
[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1403579813' post='9563553']
I have yet to encounter these 200 yd short knockers. Maybe
because I play at a more upscale public facility and they are
at the local muni?

All the "old" guys I play with, including myself, are the short
knockers hitting it 230 -250. The younger guys are hitting it.
WRX distance, lol.
[/quote]

I'm in the same boat. Nearly all the guys I've played with over the years hit it more than 200 yds off the tee consistantly. There was one guy that hit it 180, but it was straight down the middle every time. As far as the weak golfers playing the back tees, I saw that only occasionally (and it annoyed the heck out of me) but it wasn't the constant problem that others seem to have.
[/quote]

In one way it's a solution without a problem. Most "older" people
will tell you they hit the ball further now than they did when they
were young; because of the balls and equipment.

Tom Kite said he hits his tee balls further now on the Champs
tour than he did when playing the regular tour. 200 yards is
pretty short with today's gear. But, hey, I guess the stats must
be right. All I have is anecdotal nonsense.

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1402193267' post='9451307']
1. If someone wants to play blades, no matter his handicap index, that's just fine.

2. If someone wants to play a complete set of SGI's that's okay too, and no, they aren't "shovels". Try shoveling your driveway that is buried under three feet of snow with an SGI 6-iron and see how long it takes you.

3. Some guy wants to put head covers on his irons? Why should that bother you? Those are his irons, leave him alone.

4. Staff bags for an amateur? So what? If he wants one, he wants one. It doesn't affect you.

5. The poser? It doesn't affect your golf game or score. Leave him be.

6. This [insert OEM name] sucks. Really? ALL the OEMs make good equipment. Just because YOU don't like that OEM doesn't means it sucks.

7. [Insert announcer name] is terrible. Please stop whining about the announcers. It sounds...whiny.

8. Many golfers play the wrong tees because they don't have the b*lls to move up and play the correct ones. They think they are being manly when they are actually being anything but.

Just some random thoughts on a Saturday night. :-)
[/quote]

Thank you to the gracious person who was kind enough to share this great reminder. Per the OP, you can do whatever you want except play the wrong tees.

Wedge it forward?

Accuracy has a huge impact on time - also gambling and excessive chatter at the expense of movement). But with clubs, the real rascal is the wedge, not the driver. Just one sculled pitch shot probably costs five minutes in complaints and curses, walking across the green, taking extra practice swings then making a tentative pass at the ball to avoid an embarrassing encore followed by overcompensating with a firm chip and a 3-putt, followed by more complaints. In short, If you can walk while you talk, keep it in play and handle a wedge I've been lucky in the pairings regardless of your distance and choice of tees.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

While we're having fun with quotes... I particularly like this one and no I am not making it up, as a simple search would confirm :)

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1390623848' post='8527753']
I play golf on my home course 99% of the time...unlimited greens fees...and I play the back tees 70% of the time and the middle tees 30% of the time. You were saying? :-)
[/quote]

With that, I am out.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

When I play with my dad we play the front tees because he doesn't drive the ball real far (he probably averages around 220 and mine are about 270-280 total distance). On the courses we usually play if I tee it forward it really doesn't make a huge difference in scoring. Most of the time I can't just swing away with the driver from the front tees because I can over shoot the landing areas and bring more stuff into play. Occasionally, a par 4 where I can just swing away will come up but it is kinda rare. Par 3s are definitely a bit easier, which along with par 5s is where I see a big difference.

Most of the time playing the front tees just changes what club I tee off with. For example if I play with my dad I will pull the driver 5 or 6 times a round as opposed to 10+ times a round. I understand many courses have more straight holes and in situations where I have played courses like that from the front I will admit it plays a lot different. (A lot of driver wedge stuff)

I think it is a lot of fun teeing off with something other than driver. Unlike the rest of you WRXers the 300 yard drive only happens to me on the range and from elevated tees. Teeing forward makes me feel like a pro. When I pull the driver from the front tees I feel like bubba with nasty distance. Lol.