2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Let's Get Real: 200 Yards

Ability does have some impact, but it believe it is a small factor.

I play with on occasion with one of the top ams in the state. He is excruciatingly slow while he shoots three or four under.

My FIL, who can't break 100 from 5,000 yards will be around all day long in three hours. He hits it, drives to it, and hits it again. From the time he gets to his ball until he hits it, probably 10 seconds or less. No wasted time. He can hit A LOT of shots in three hours.

• Replies 479
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1404878016' post='9664205']

I play with on occasion with one of the top ams in the state. He is excruciatingly slow while he shoots three or four under.

My FIL, who can't break 100 from 5,000 yards will be around all day long in three hours. He hits it, drives to it, and hits it again. From the time he gets to his ball until he hits it, probably 10 seconds or less. No wasted time. He can hit A LOT of shots in three hours.
[/quote]

I like that, lol, I mean your FIL getting more shots per dollar
than anyone else; in 3 hours. Value baby! :)

[quote name='CallawayLefty' timestamp='1403535156' post='9557421']
Here we go again. 700 yards over 18 holes is just under 39 yards. So we move them 39 yards closer on every hole. So what???? Think about it for a minute - how much better will a guy who couldn't break 120 in a tournament setting (e.g. 90% of golfers) really shoot from 39 yards closer? Do you think a guy who tops every other drive is going to stop it because you've moved him up a tee box? Do you think a guy who can't make contact with an iron gets a better chance by hitting a 9 iron instead of a 6 iron? And you know the funniest part? These people's long game is typically the BEST thing that they do. You routinely see them get pretty close to the green in regulation (or maybe 1 shot over regulation). Then the chilli dip 2 chips. Then they chip their next one in the bunker. Then they can't get it out of the bunker. Then they eventually do and 4 putt even with a 3 foot gimme at the end.

People who suck at golf suck at golf. They wouldn't be out there playing if they didn't get something out of it. Helping them shoot 115 instead of 120 changes nothing.

But what it does do is make every marshall/starter/head pro all antsy about the "tee it forward" crowd. I am a 4 handicap and played this week with another 4 handicap and a guy who's about a 6. We were discouraged by the marshall from playing tees that measured 6,600 yards. Do you know what a joke that is? The longest approach I had all day was a 6 iron into a 460 yard hole. The longest par 3 was 177 yards. I was within 275 yards on all of the par 5s. But still I have to deal with the obligatory shaming that now occurs on every 1st tee across Murica for playing anything other than the ladies tees.

Get over it. More than 50% of the golfing world either (1) disagrees with Tee it Forward; (2) doesn't even know what Tee it Forward is, and thus won't tee it forward; or (3) knows about Tee it Forward and could benefit to the tune of 5 strokes per round by teeing it forward, but won't end up doing it either way.

EDIT: We played in 4:10 at a very crowded public course at prime time on a Saturday morning, for what it's worth. We waited on approximately 2 shots all day.
[/quote]

Terrible post. First few sentences ruined everything important that you might have said after.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1404863727' post='9662719']
[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1404862876' post='9662625']
[quote name='Sean2' timestamp='1404860109' post='9662403']
[quote name='teckneeklyperfect' timestamp='1404859794' post='9662365']
I hate all this "speed" up play nonsense, everyone wants to speed up play until they are the ones that need speeded up. Golf is a leisure sport. It's gonna eat some clock, so what. Thats the point. Courses love the issue cause they see it as increasing revenue and don't have to be the ones making the argument.
[/quote]

I've mentioned it before. I don't quite get these guys who boast their foursome played a round of golf in three hours. They talk about how they love to play golf and get out on the course, and then it seems they can't wait to get off the course. :-)
[/quote]

You do realize that maybe that is how they enjoy the game and that there are different ways of having fun. Maybe they have a limited amount of time...maybe they play 36...maybe they play from the back tees in 3 hours and that's how they enjoy their round. We should let people decide how they enjoy their round and not be too judgmental as long as they don't disrupt other's round.
[/quote]

You do realize that one is not judging but simply pointing out an irony? That is allowed, isn't it? Or, should I check with you before I submit a post? To make sure it passes the DavePelz test? Or, if you are too busy, I could check with your pal Sartzel?

You seem to enjoy following me around...

Weird...
[/quote]

Wasn't it you that started a thread entitled "Are we too judgmental? " You use words like boast without knowing people that you criticize.

I have no idea of who Sartzel is.

I suggested that people should have fun. Sorry that you, whoever you are, have issues with people having fun and enjoying golf.

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1404883555' post='9664539']
I hate all this "speed" up play nonsense, everyone wants to speed up play until they are the ones that need speeded up. Golf is a leisure sport. It's gonna eat some clock, so what. Thats the point. Courses love the issue cause they see it as increasing revenue and don't have to be the ones making the argument.
[/quote]

I've mentioned it before. I don't quite get these guys who boast their foursome played a round of golf in three hours. They talk about how they love to play golf and get out on the course, and then it seems they can't wait to get off the course. :-)
[/quote]

You do realize that maybe that is how they enjoy the game and that there are different ways of having fun. Maybe they have a limited amount of time...maybe they play 36...maybe they play from the back tees in 3 hours and that's how they enjoy their round. We should let people decide how they enjoy their round and not be too judgmental as long as they don't disrupt other's round.
[/quote]

You do realize that one is not judging but simply pointing out an irony? That is allowed, isn't it? Or, should I check with you before I submit a post? To make sure it passes the DavePelz test? Or, if you are too busy, I could check with your pal Sartzel?

Weird...
[/quote]

Wasn't it you that started a thread entitled "Are we too judgmental? " You use words like boast without knowing people that you criticize.

I suggested that people should have fun. Sorry that you, whoever you are, have issues with people having fun and enjoying golf.
[/quote]

I know Starzel. I've been wanting a golf-related cage match with him for months.

[quote name='Conrad1953' timestamp='1404879334' post='9664299']
[quote name='deadsolid...shank' timestamp='1404878016' post='9664205']

[/quote]

I like that, lol, I mean your FIL getting more shots per dollar
than anyone else; in 3 hours. Value baby! :)
[/quote]

We have an old tour pro here, who to put it mildly, is cranky. He told him once, "You're going to miss it anyway, might as well miss it quick". Fine attitude for a teaching pro, but my FIL took it to heart.

Swing, cuss, drive....repeat!

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1404883555' post='9664539']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Weird...
[/quote]

[/quote]

Who is judging? I, more than anyone, encourage people to have fun. I NEVER tell people what to do. I have my own opinions and share them.

You, like Startzel, make breathtaking assumptions. It must be nice to be omniscient. For some reason you have it in for me. I hope you enjoy going after me from behind your computer in Chicagoland.

I pointed out what I thought was an irony. There are plenty of threads where people boast about how quickly they play a round of golf. I thought it [color=#ff0000][b]ironic[/b][/color] that they claim to love being on the course, then can't seem to wait to get off it.

That's not judging. If you can't tell the difference...

[/quote]

[/quote]

What I don't like is waiting on every shot. But I also don't like playing so fast that I can't sort of settle in mentally.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

[quote name='wmblake2000' timestamp='1404923088' post='9666915']
[/quote]

[/quote]

What I don't like is waiting on every shot. But I also don't like playing so fast that I can't sort of settle in mentally.
[/quote]

I agree. I like keeping a decent pace too.

Unless you are playing on a monday at a country club, 3 hours is pretty fast. Yesterday, we played in 3.5 hours and amazingly had nobody in front of us the whole round. Great pace and we were not rushing. I could see playing in 3 hours though if you had the same set up we had yesterday without having to look for lost balls on several occasions. It is possible.

Cobra LTD 9* TP6HD
Cobra Big Tour 14.5* TP7HD 

Cobra F6 Baffler 19* Kiyoshi Purple

Wilson Staff Staff Blades 3-PW Recoil I95 stiff 

Wilson PMP 52/56 Raw

Titliest SquareBack LA 135 

Vice Pro+ Lime Green Goodness

[quote name='FullOfBrushMan' timestamp='1405004200' post='9673063']
I can't wait until all courses can afford carts with GPS that tracks the time it takes for you to play.

Usually it takes me 4 hours for 18 holes and sometimes I feel like that's slow.
[/quote]

i can't wait for the day they will release high COR non conforming clubs for seniors, to give them 50yards on every shot, to speed up the game. i'm serious.

[quote name='tinytim' timestamp='1405009034' post='9673707']
I can't wait until all courses can afford carts with GPS that tracks the time it takes for you to play.

[/quote]

i can't wait for the day they will release high COR non conforming clubs for seniors, to give them 50yards on every shot, to speed up the game. i'm serious.
[/quote]
I can't wait for the day when speed golfers learn to relax.

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1405009532' post='9673793']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

If im not done in <3hrs Id rather just not golf, damn slow players! *shakes fist*

[quote name='Krt22' timestamp='1405018371' post='9674977']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

If im not done in <3hrs Id rather just not golf, damn slow players! *shakes fist*
[/quote]
If all the speedsters left the course that would open up more space for the rest of us and we'd end up playing faster. Ironic, no? :-)

[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1403532522' post='9556973']
Pace of play would pick up!!!!!!!!!! If you don't have some short irons to some, not all of the par 4s it is time to move up.
[/quote]

Courses that are too long don't cause pace of play problems. Every member of a foursome taking mulligans on every hole, driving to each person's shot, standing around discussing the lie, watching while they take 10 practice swings, and then chunking it 50 yards causes pace of play problems.

Ping G410 9*
Tour Edge EXS 3w, 5w
Ping i210 4-U
Ping Glide Stealth 54, 60
Ping Anser 85029 Dalehead
Srixon Z-Star or Q-Star tour depending on conditions

[quote name='rsj1360' timestamp='1405018750' post='9675043']
[quote name='Krt22' timestamp='1405018371' post='9674977']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]
If all the speedsters left the course that would open up more space for the rest of us and we'd end up playing faster. Ironic, no? :-)
[/quote]

If you "slowpokes" would let us speedsters through, you'd have all the time and space you'd need.

Just yankin your chain RSJ :D[size=4] , we haven't argued in here for a while.[/size]

[size=4]By the way, we were a little slow yesterday, a few struggles and a lost ball search. Fivesome teed of at 11:30. Finished at 3:00.[/size]

The local 9 hole muni where I play quite a bit is around 6100yd from the Whites, and 6400 from the Blues.
Until this year, they would only put out 2 sets of tees, Men's and Senior/Women's.
On Wed-Thur the Men's tees were all the way back, and they would move them up and cut easy pins for the weekend.

The best round I've ever had was a 79 playing around twice, the tees were probably in the 6200-6300 range that day.
I'm a 14 hdcp, and have mostly short irons and pitch shots into the par 4's and 5's.

6000 yds should be short enough for high handicappers too, when I was a 20+, the distance didn't matter that much, it was the topped/skulled/chili-dipped shots that were the problem.

Oh yeah, the Gold/Red tees are 5300yds. If they can advance the ball it doesn't seem to be too much. I see the 75-80 yr old guys struggle to get on in 2, but I don't think you should design around them either. They usually make up for it chipping and putting ;).

[quote name='ratdg1' timestamp='1405020491' post='9675247']
[quote name='TJCDAS' timestamp='1403532522' post='9556973']
Pace of play would pick up!!!!!!!!!! If you don't have some short irons to some, not all of the par 4s it is time to move up.
[/quote]

Courses that are too long don't cause pace of play problems. Every member of a foursome taking mulligans on every hole, driving to each person's shot, standing around discussing the lie, watching while they take 10 practice swings, and then chunking it 50 yards causes pace of play problems.
[/quote]
I would tend to agree with this more than not hitting it far enough. At my men's club games there are several fast groups of short knockers but they know what ready golf means and play plenty fast.

To further the point I see so much time wasted on the green more than fairway and tee box.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

[/quote]

[/quote]

Or.... move up tees.

[quote name='EK16' timestamp='1405040291' post='9677093']
Ego always trumps golfing ability. The egoless golfer is almost as rare as meeting the plus handicap on a golf course. Bottom line is that as long as there is ego in golf, the avg guy will be happier shooting a 100 from blue than a 85 from red.
[/quote]
Actually, I would be happier with the 100 from the blue.
My local course the blue tees are 1500 yards further back.
1 shot per 100 yards is a good gain.

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

okay, you got me wrong. i'm the relaxxed guy, who never needs to rush. but imagine how cool it would be, if a senior drives 200yds instead of 150, just with new unconforming stuff. he would enjoy the game sooo much more. the limitation came because rory hits its 436. imagine there wouldnt be any limitations, yesterday would have 10 people drove the green.
but for seniors that doesn't count. i would be happy if the game would be easier, with non conforming stuff

[/quote]

[/quote]

Perhaps...you might have forget to place the word "some" between the words "for" and "seniors"? Just sayin'.

For long drivers they hit their 5 iron 260 yards so 260 multiply by 36 is 9360yards and make courses ranging from average golfer length of 5000-6000 yards and tour range 7000-7500 yards(If Im wrong for the tour issue length please quote) and for Long drive champs 9000yds to 10000yds. Yeap, 10000yds so long drivers can have new ways of competition, tour players have their own and "average player" course of their own standard. So each resort have 3 courses. Average male course, Tour issue course and Long Drivers course or have separated tees in one course if possible. Lets get real for long drivers too, 400yards drive.

Ping G30 8° Black Tie 7M3 X stiff 45 inch
Nike covert 2.0 Tour 3W 14° Face angle open Stock X flex
Nike Vapor Pro Blades 3-pw (silver) DGX100 TI European Union
Titleist Vokey SM4 54
Titleist Vokey SM5 61 05
Odyssey Metal-X #8

Golfpride MCC Plus 4 midsize +7 on bottom hand, +10 on the top hand.

[quote name='Gap22' timestamp='1404921139' post='9666713']
Great, Thanks! We are playing the Judge and Senator a week from Saturday. Looks like a fun setup. Length looks about the same as The Highlands but much more scenic. Those par 3's on the Judge look challenging to say the least.
[/quote]

The Senator is one of my favorite courses anywhere. You'll have a great time.

Killarney Golf & Fishing Club, IR.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Then the game becomes something else, doesn't it? And, of course,the guy with the non-conforming weapons will invariably want to play for a few bucks.

Killarney Golf & Fishing Club, IR.

@KLeC that is not up to me.
but i know a guy, who can't hit his driver past 175yds. ain't possible. (his attackangle is btw -2 to +2). you cant force him to hit more up, you will not make him swing faster. aint happen!
why arent there super cool drivers for guys like him, so he might "kill it to 220yds". it would be so cool.
he isnt playing for money, he isnt playing tournaments, he is not competing in somewhat. he just enjoys golf, everyday at 7:30....

[quote name='KimSeHo' timestamp='1405076049' post='9679013']
For long drivers they hit their 5 iron 260 yards so 260 multiply by 36 is 9360yards and make courses ranging from average golfer length of 5000-6000 yards and tour range 7000-7500 yards(If Im wrong for the tour issue length please quote) and for Long drive champs 9000yds to 10000yds. Yeap, 10000yds so long drivers can have new ways of competition, tour players have their own and "average player" course of their own standard. So each resort have 3 courses. Average male course, Tour issue course and Long Drivers course or have separated tees in one course if possible. Lets get real for long drivers too, 400yards drive.
[/quote]

You're asking courses to triple their maintenance costs so the 5% of the population that could potentially break 80 from 7000 yards have 2 extra courses to play on?