No new acquistions...?

Right there with you Stu. Scrounging around for "choice" finds always includes looking for shafts and grips. Bought three POS Diawa woods awhile back just because they had Neumann leather grips on them. Heck yes, I'll spend $4 per for some VG condition leather with underlistings. They're destined for install on some Cleveland persimmons this winter.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Oh absolutely!! Now that style does not fit my eye or feel but it is still a nice putter---- LOL you ought to see the $5 clubs I find in the scrap pile with $25 grips--- of course I salvage the grips--- Of course yours is far from being a $5 putter---

Heh, I've seen a few sets in the local second hand shop that I want just for the grips or shafts.

I do that myself especially if I can salvage grips and / or shafts. Sometimes you would not believe some of The component POS clubs I find with good shafts and grips. I will get them especially at work when I buy them at .05 or less scrap prices. I am super thrifty. If I buy a set like that after I pull the grips and shafts the heads go back into the bin in my shop and I will sell them back for scrap. Most of my Tour Wrap grips I figure I have less than .10 in with solvent and air to pull them off.

When you can get good shafts and grips at that price, it's pretty much a crime to let them go. Unfortunately, the second hand shop doesn't quite have the bargain prices like your place. That said, there is a set of Epon Protechnica (I think they were sold as 302s or something like that in the States) with Super Peening Blue shafts in the shop right now for a decent price. They've been there forever. I am pretty certain I can get a lot knocked off. Even if the heads don't work out, it'd be nice to have a full set of SPB shafts as they're hard to find now.

I totally agree. Just play with whatever clubs you like. It’s not like we play in a lot of sanctioned tournaments.

Kinda like I tell some of the other WRXers--- If you wanna play--- come on------ play what you want to------- Because----- I damn sure am!!!!
Love both of these sentiments.

My only hangup is that in a few short years the idiotic groove rule will mean official handicaps can't be kept with vintage gear. I really hope the USGA wises up before then and grandfathers in the older gear.

My only hangup is that in a few short years the idiotic groove rule will mean official handicaps can't be kept with vintage gear. I really hope the USGA wises up before then and grandfathers in the older gear.

Yes. Keep the groove rule for elite events, or whatever the term is, and then quietly do away with the rule enforcing it on everyone else.

For a game that supposedly values tradition, it's astounding that the governing bodies introduced a rule that ends up preventing people from actually enjoying a significant part of that tradition, namely classic clubs.

Dang it, just bought another set of Hogan irons ('03 Apexes). At least I beat the Mrs. to the door when UPS arrived. ��. She just shook her head when she saw the box.

Added bonus, the '03's are 2010 groove legal! The '99s that I have I'm not sure...

Not to bust your chops but most of us on here could give two hoots less if they are conforming or not. We basically play what we want to. Really I do not think many of us play stipulated events anymore.

Haha I understand, and I didn’t mean to sound snobby if I did. They just happen to be classic and legal, which is why I bought my set: I love Hogan, I can’t afford the new stuff, and if I ever did play a tournament at some point where it mattered I’d be ok.

I don’t care about the groove rules beyond that, I actually despise them, and I totally agree; play what you like, because (and it’s my biggest hangup with the grove rules) some classic gear could conform, some might not, and there is no way for you or I to validate the legality of any set of classic clubs.

Dang it, just bought another set of Hogan irons ('03 Apexes). At least I beat the Mrs. to the door when UPS arrived. ��. She just shook her head when she saw the box.

Added bonus, the '03's are 2010 groove legal! The '99s that I have I'm not sure...

Not to bust your chops but most of us on here could give two hoots less if they are conforming or not. We basically play what we want to. Really I do not think many of us play stipulated events anymore.

Haha I understand, and I didn't mean to sound snobby if I did. They just happen to be classic and legal, which is why I bought my set: I love Hogan, I can't afford the new stuff, and if I ever did play a tournament at some point where it mattered I'd be ok.

I don't care about the groove rules beyond that, I actually despise them, and I totally agree; play what you like, because (and it's my biggest hangup with the grove rules) some classic gear could conform, some might not, and there is no way for you or I to validate the legality of any set of classic clubs.

Actually there is a way to determine if irons are conforming to the 2010 groove ruling. Search the USGA database (the R & A may have similar or one in the same). BTW, the '99 Apex's are conforming. But I fully disregard this stupid ruling. I do not play in sanctioned competition nor do I attempt to establish an "official" handicap. So play whatever I want on any given day.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Some clubs with Non conforming grooves on that list are just bogus business moves. I am willing to bet if you really got the tools out and measured some of the grooves they would be confirming to the rules written. Example: Bridgestone J33 CB. But companies need to move clubs as a business.

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

Not sure these are classics, but I recently was able to almost complete my collection of the Peter Kessler Perfect Club series. Found the driver, spoon, plus, original, and 24*. I think there was a 27*. These TV gimmick clubs were the only ones that I fell for and actually work for me. I'm bagging a few of them now. The driver is a fairway splitter and the Original 21* goes a mile off the turf. Not very "WRX-worthy", but the scorecard doesn't care!

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

Check these out. I found them in an antique mall. These books have scans from golf catalogs of advertisements and information for Wilson and Macgregor clubs spanning from the 1930's to 1970's. Heck of a resource for a vintage club collector. I didn't know these type of books even existed.

i would have to hide them from my 3 year old. Nice find

Taylormade M4 tour 8.5*   Attas 4U 6X

Srixon Z H45  16*

Callaway Apex MB raw 4-PW  

Cleveland 588    52,60

Scotty Newport the art of putting

-----------------------------------------

Should have these bad boys in my hands in about an hour.....too bad it's 15 degrees outside.

Ive wanted a set of PMB’s forever! Enjoy! Though a thinned shot with one of those in 15 degree weather!!!!

Wishon 519 9* with Evenflow Blue

Nicklaus Air Max 16.5*

Sonartec 19*

KZG Forged Cavity Backs 4-AW

Spalding EV-A sand club

Ping ISI lob wedge

Spalding brass milled putter

Check these out. I found them in an antique mall. These books have scans from golf catalogs of advertisements and information for Wilson and Macgregor clubs spanning from the 1930's to 1970's. Heck of a resource for a vintage club collector. I didn't know these type of books even existed.

Peter-

Nice Vintage Golf finds.

Kaplan also published a Second Edition for Wilson which has a Gray Cover, and additional years.

I totally agree. Just play with whatever clubs you like. It’s not like we play in a lot of sanctioned tournaments.

Kinda like I tell some of the other WRXers--- If you wanna play--- come on------ play what you want to------- Because----- I damn sure am!!!!

I can see where you are coming from especially if you play like club events etc--- I do not play comp anymore and do not care to but I do have a couple of sets that are conforming

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Haha I understand, and I didn't mean to sound snobby if I did. They just happen to be classic and legal, which is why I bought my set: I love Hogan, I can't afford the new stuff, and if I ever did play a tournament at some point where it mattered I'd be ok.

I don't care about the groove rules beyond that, I actually despise them, and I totally agree; play what you like, because (and it's my biggest hangup with the grove rules) some classic gear could conform, some might not, and there is no way for you or I to validate the legality of any set of classic clubs.

OH no I never took it as snobby--- You can go on the USGA database and check--- Now if the club has never been submitted and checked it will not be on the base as "conforming " so it is basically non conforming until tested and deemed otherwise. My argument always has been and still will be like the case of any of my Macgregors they were conforming to USGA standards and rules when they were made.

Some clubs with Non conforming grooves on that list are just bogus business moves. I am willing to bet if you really got the tools out and measured some of the grooves they would be confirming to the rules written. Example: Bridgestone J33 CB. But companies need to move clubs as a business.

I knew all along when they started that crap in 09 that the USGA was in bed so to speak with the major manufacturers. The big time manufacturers also did it to try to eliminate the smaller companies too. I know one component manufacturer the owner told me this too and how much it cost him to submit a club to be tested and approved. When we meet up someday in person I will tell you who it is. I do not want to mention any name or company on open forum even here. May open up too many cans of worms.

Got these yesterday: Mizuno A.G. Model irons 3i-11i + SW, back from when Mizuno had a collaboration going with ANGC. There isn't much about them on the internet, but they look a lot like the TP-18s to me, which were sold in Britain (and probably the rest of golfing Europe). I've seen a few different types of these Mizuno/ANGC irons, and they also appear to be TP models rebadged for the Japanese market. I'm going to e-mail Mizuno and see if they can or will give me any other information.

Edit: Just called the Mizuno Customer Service centre. They were kind of helpful. Apparently, Mizuno put out two "A.G. Models", one in 1987 and the other in 1994. I told them the serial number, but they didn't seem to eager to go and look it up.

The shafts have no label, but they are True Temper; however, the stepping is unusual and certainly not DG stepping. Lots of quite short steps, each about an inch long, maybe slightly less.

Helping my father go through his attic. In a box I found a full set of left handed Ping irons with Roman numerals on the bottom. Any tips or interests? A google search showed me they are probably from early 70’s

I believe it’s 2-PW.

e175508c6ecd582af4d465165ab20d0d.jpg

4cbc7e06f834f1c6ce0eadd8f5c327ea.jpg

1c172529197536fc2a649354521739a0.jpg

ea286d397fec2330b222752d7addc328.jpg

cde084de618e103b79ca6e3aff700831.jpg

I am not a Ping expert per say but I think they are from around the 73 to 75 era--- I have never seen a set of LH Karsten IIs though

Helping my father go through his attic. In a box I found a full set of left handed Ping irons with Roman numerals on the bottom. Any tips or interests? A google search showed me they are probably from early 70’s

I believe it’s 2-PW.

e175508c6ecd582af4d465165ab20d0d.jpg

4cbc7e06f834f1c6ce0eadd8f5c327ea.jpg

1c172529197536fc2a649354521739a0.jpg

ea286d397fec2330b222752d7addc328.jpg

cde084de618e103b79ca6e3aff700831.jpg

Lix-

Your Karsten IIs appear to be one of the first LH PING iron sets, as you can tell by the low Registration Number on the hosel.

PING should be able to provide most of the answers you seek.

Someone there should also know the origin of using Roman Numerals instead of numbers for the Karsten II.

One theory was you could easily tell what iron your playing competitor was using if they had one of those first sets of PINGs.

The earlier/first sets of the K-1 irons - those without color dots - also didn't have any numbers on the sole, pretty much for the reason you state Rex.

It is very interesting that I have never seen a LH set of K-1 irons, altho, I'm sure that some must have been made.

BITD, the original molds for these "lost wax casting" heads were quite expensive to make, but you could insure uniformity of design better than through production forging and grinding.

No doubt, Karsten Solheim was an engineering genius when it came to golf clubs. Each and every club manufacturer should be sending Ping royalty checks for their innovations.

Got these yesterday: Mizuno A.G. Model irons 3i-11i + SW, back from when Mizuno had a collaboration going with ANGC. There isn't much about them on the internet, but they look a lot like the TP-18s to me, which were sold in Britain (and probably the rest of golfing Europe). I've seen a few different types of these Mizuno/ANGC irons, and they also appear to be TP models rebadged for the Japanese market. I'm going to e-mail Mizuno and see if they can or will give me any other information.

Edit: Just called the Mizuno Customer Service centre. They were kind of helpful. Apparently, Mizuno put out two "A.G. Models", one in 1987 and the other in 1994. I told them the serial number, but they didn't seem to eager to go and look it up.

The shafts have no label, but they are True Temper; however, the stepping is unusual and certainly not DG stepping. Lots of quite short steps, each about an inch long, maybe slightly less.

Interesting set. The groove on the back is straight from the TP9s, but the muscle is quite clearly different. Those don't look like an obvious remodelling of any of the classic Mizuno irons that I'm familiar with.

Do you have any idea on lofts? Having a 10, 11 and S is surely unusual and suggests the lofts are likely to be stronger than traditional. You can bet those were not cheap BITD, and not to be confused with Masters Golf in the UK!

Interesting set. The groove on the back is straight from the TP9s, but the muscle is quite clearly different. Those don't look like an obvious remodelling of any of the classic Mizuno irons that I'm familiar with.

Do you have any idea on lofts? Having a 10, 11 and S is surely unusual and suggests the lofts are likely to be stronger than traditional. You can bet those were not cheap BITD, and not to be confused with Masters Golf in the UK!

Yes, I had another look at the TP-18s and noticed that the muscle curves in a different way to these one. These curve up to the toe, like the TP-9, but without the little peak that the TP9s had.

I haven't checked the lofts yet, and I can find no information on the net about them. I have some Honma PP737s that go 3i to 11i, and the 11i is 54* and the 10i is 50*. I'm hoping these are similar. The SW does look to be pretty lofted, more like a lob wedge. I probably won't play the SW because I have a Mizuno 12i (bent to 59*) that I want to add to this set.