2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

14 hours ago, ezgoer said:

Love the time capsule aspect. Incredible condition and awesome right down to the cool bag and matching headcovers. Think this winter I’m gonna search out a few vintage headcover set’s just because. 

Vintage headcovers are where its at.  Nobody ever says anything about my clubs but I get positive comments on my old red leather headcovers all the time.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Going to call these 1959s due to the shafts. But these are the ‘59-60 Professional Synchro Dyned model with original leather grips. IMG_1177.jpeg.6e7b4c95114374fa91de57aa0228d46a.jpegIMG_1178.jpeg.7637547d3f6bd0ce24f1b7f253ff5473.jpegIMG_1179.jpeg.ddd0c3c011b927727dac7001839ee161.jpeg

Nice!  I have a 2-10 set with the same heads but with the Spalding Pro Flight shafts so I suppose they are the 1960 models?  Mine have the same grips and have a significant reminder rib on the bottom side which I like. They came with some woods too which are the ones I mentioned in your other thread about the shafts.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Swingingk said:

Nice!  I have a 2-10 set with the same heads but with the Spalding Pro Flight shafts so I suppose they are the 1960 models?  Mine have the same grips and have a significant reminder rib on the bottom side which I like. They came with some woods too which are the ones I mentioned in your other thread about the shafts.

I’m going to only guess those with the Pro Flite shafts are from 1960. Those were the shafts on the 61-62 and 63-64 models.  So it would only make chronological sense right?

All my 61-64 leather sets have that rib on the bottom of the leather grips and I really like that!  So I was surprised to find these didn’t!  

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

I got my first set of Spalding blades today. Not sure if the year, 1970-1972 maybe ? Paid $20.

Took them to the driving range and par 3 after work , head is a little bigger than my Wilson FG17 blades in length and height. 

They don’t seem to launch as high as the FG17’s , Spalding ‘medium’ shaft vs Dynamic R in the FG17s. A bit more offset than the FG17s I felt like. I wasn’t hitting them great but when I actually saw where my misses were on the par 3 they weren’t so bad. 

The grips are old Griptite Swingrites and literally crumbling so that didn’t help things with the Spaldings. 

Hit the 3 wood off a tee 4 times … 3 complete duds and one out of nowhere monster shot that must have gone 235 yards it rolled out to the back of the range.  

8FC386EE-ED95-4C5B-B07C-CDBD22D49399.jpeg

D041EB58-A630-4A4B-A565-E04FB12E1EB8.jpeg

Edited by DCCarpenter
  • Like 3

Nike Titanium Forged Driver

Louisville Golf 3 & 5 Woods

Ping Eye 2 green dot  3 iron to Sand Wedge

Ping Anser 

7 hours ago, DCCarpenter said:

I got my first set of Spalding blades today. Not sure if the year, 1970-1972 maybe ? Paid $20.

Took them to the driving range and par 3 after work , head is a little bigger than my Wilson FG17 blades in length and height. 

They don’t seem to launch as high as the FG17’s , Spalding ‘medium’ shaft vs Dynamic R in the FG17s. A bit more offset than the FG17s I felt like. I wasn’t hitting them great but when I actually saw where my misses were on the par 3 they weren’t so bad. 

The grips are old Griptite Swingrites and literally crumbling so that didn’t help things with the Spaldings. 

Hit the 3 wood off a tee 4 times … 3 complete duds and one out of nowhere monster shot that must have gone 235 yards it rolled out to the back of the range.  

8FC386EE-ED95-4C5B-B07C-CDBD22D49399.jpeg

D041EB58-A630-4A4B-A565-E04FB12E1EB8.jpeg

Nice I’ve been looking for a set like those lately.  My “newest” Top Flites are the 67-69 large bird on the ball model.  So I would agree those are early 70s.  I’ve seen those both with the black ferrules and silver. 

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

Woohoo!  Just got notice (and paid for 😁) my '30s Walter Hagen woods are in process of restoration.  Should be done in 3ish weeks and back in my hands in about a month.  Irons have been ready for a month and eagerly await the reunion.  🙂

IMG_1278.jpeg.63054ca796ad53a6734e4537d325e228.jpeg

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

3 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Woohoo!  Just got notice (and paid for 😁) my '30s Walter Hagen woods are in process of restoration.  Should be done in 3ish weeks and back in my hands in about a month.  Irons have been ready for a month and eagerly await the reunion.  🙂

IMG_1278.jpeg.63054ca796ad53a6734e4537d325e228.jpeg

Did the pyratone sheath need any stablizating?

2 hours ago, bcstones said:

Did the pyratone sheath need any stablizating?

No pyratone on the woods.  New stiff steel shaft are done already along with new leather grips. Must have been changed long before I got them.

Edited by SnowbirdTom

TM Spider GT-X putter

The irons were perfect condition.  Barely scratched heads and shafts cleaned up with soap and water. 

ETA: nary a crack, weak spot or chip in the covering.

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Thanks 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

52 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

The irons were perfect condition.  Barely scratched heads and shafts cleaned up with soap and water. 

oh....I have a set of WH Compact blades...the heads are in perfect shape, the leather grips also perfect. However, the pyratone shafts have small slits beginning to run up the shaft.

I'm still trying to figure out how to stabilize the shafts, without removing the shafts from the club heads...ah, well - the search continues. 

Picked these 2-Pw Dunlop Maxfli irons from a thrift shop yesterday. Unfortunately the 7 iron is a mismatch (Dunlop Mark Five) but I figured for 20$ I was getting a good deal on 8 Dynamic shafts.

I think they might be Int'l market clubs? I read that the Maxfli name was at one point used by four separate companies. Not too hopeful about finding the missing #7.

IMG_20230914_140255.jpg.37abb8dbf3129726ee40799c953fc17c.jpg

Edited by AdamMH

Found these sitting out in my alley, not sure if these are any decent or what the story is. Couldn’t find much when I did some searching online. Going to take them to range and hit a bucket or two with them but are they worth keeping? Not really a collector of this era, I either have new clubs or original hickory clubs. 

IMG_2881.jpeg.69ad83f5510f618f6201b1dee4d43020.jpegIMG_2882.jpeg.f40efe935b955038aaa5bab72e151bfe.jpegIMG_2883.jpeg.7571f8c5879e6bf73581fd259ba228f1.jpeg

48 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

Found these sitting out in my alley, not sure if these are any decent or what the story is. Couldn’t find much when I did some searching online. Going to take them to range and hit a bucket or two with them but are they worth keeping? Not really a collector of this era, I either have new clubs or original hickory clubs. 

IMG_2881.jpeg.69ad83f5510f618f6201b1dee4d43020.jpegIMG_2882.jpeg.f40efe935b955038aaa5bab72e151bfe.jpegIMG_2883.jpeg.7571f8c5879e6bf73581fd259ba228f1.jpeg

wondering what the shaft labels say, also might the "LD" stand for 'Long Distnace' (think that is what was meant on their gofl balls), not sure what the "B" inticates, perhaps Patty Berg?.....however, that said - I'm thinking these might be retail offerings by Wilson. Tho, as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't really mean much. Why not take them out & play them to see how they feel to you. If you don't like, then gift to your favorite thrift store.

The irons kinda sorta remind me of the '74 Hogan Directors....

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, bcstones said:

wondering what the shaft labels say, also might the "LD" stand for 'Long Distnace' (think that is what was meant on their gofl balls), not sure what the "B" inticates, perhaps Patty Berg?.....however, that said - I'm thinking these might be retail offerings by Wilson. Tho, as far as I'm concerned, that doesn't really mean much. Why not take them out & play them to see how they feel to you. If you don't like, then gift to your favorite thrift store.

The irons kinda sorta remind me of the '74 Hogan Directors....

Shaft label says Unilite Unilite, made in USA, Lite Steel. Has a serial number or something as well (15LR83777). 

I’ll definitely take them out for a round…playing with my kids Friday at a fun par 65 course, maybe I’ll give them a go during that round. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ASak10 said:

Shaft label says Unilite Unilite, made in USA, Lite Steel. Has a serial number or something as well (15LR83777). 

I’ll definitely take them out for a round…playing with my kids Friday at a fun par 65 course, maybe I’ll give them a go during that round. 

just checking Maltby's guide...there was an "Ultralite" shaft on their pro-line in the mid to late 1980s, & then again in the mid '80s to early '90s...so it could be the "Unilite" was a shaft used on retail...
The number, at one time called a "registration" number would have be a code to replace the club equal to the rest of the set as to length, swingweight etc & used on both pro-line & retail...now-a-days, many are calling the number a "serial" number giving same info.

Have fun w/the kids...good to have them enjoy the game early

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bcstones said:

wondering what the shaft labels say, also might the "LD" stand for 'Long Distnace' (think that is what was meant on their gofl balls), not sure what the "B" inticates, perhaps Patty Berg?.....

Not a B - it’s a script “W”.

• Thanks 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

44 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Not a B - it’s a script “W”.

🤣 oh yeah...I see it now....🙃...I did check the Maltby's guide for Wilson '50 thry '93 & found no reference to Unilite or LD...next time I'll copy the pic & turn it 'round in order to enlarge any section (it's just a pain in the tuckus)

4 hours ago, ASak10 said:

"Found these sitting out in my alley,"     Might be the Wilson Stray Cat model.

• Haha 1

Okay bud, I am about to scratch your itch.

I am about to post those AC-108's but I will include some Nancy Lopez Ram irons (of course highly polished and AWESOME!). Some Walter Hagen circa. 1975(?). Also mint condition, some Qualifier Pro Masters, a wood back weighted Otey Crisman with Handmade by Otey Crisman on the perfect leather grip and Otey head cover in the factory bag and to finish it off, a vintage Walter Hagen putter owned by a super rich dude that had it tumbled in small ball bearings until every surface is both a little bit rough and simultaneously glass smooth.

All bought within the last month.

2 hours ago, Orchardist said:

Found them in the alley….

Yeah….”Wife’s Revenge” might be a better name. I’m going to print that picture for her.  She said I’d never see them again.

A friend asked “who would just throw out a set of clubs like that?”

I said someone who’s wife said “if I see those clubs again I swear I will lose it….” 

And voila! They end up in an alley with the hope that they find a new loving home. 

Stopped at the local SA on my way home from a vintage round this morning.  To my pleased surprise, I found a nice set of Louisville 50s Classic forged irons.  4-9 with good grips, stiff shafts and clean faces.  And a few interesting adds to the wedge bin.  '74 Haig Ultra PW, Ultradyne PW and a very vintage Kroydon "9" iron with an odd steel shaft that has a taper to a hickory sized hosel.

Pictures are as found.  Shaft labels read "Custom Clubs by Jack" with a Detroit area code phone number.

IMG_1303.jpeg

IMG_1304.jpeg

IMG_1305.jpeg

IMG_1306.jpeg

IMG_1307.jpeg

IMG_1308.jpeg

IMG_1309.jpeg

IMG_1310.jpeg

IMG_1311.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg

IMG_1313.jpeg

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Like 2

TM Spider GT-X putter

53 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Stopped at the local SA on my way home from a vintage round this morning.  To my pleased surprise, I found a nice set of Louisville 50s Classic forged irons.  4-9 with good grips, stiff shafts and clean faces.  And a few interesting adds to the wedge bin.  '74 Haig Ultra PW, Ultradyne PW and a very vintage Kroydon "9" iron with an odd steel shaft that has a taper to a hickory sized hosel.

Pictures are as found.  Shaft labels read "Custom Clubs by Jack" with a Detroit area code phone number.

IMG_1303.jpeg

IMG_1304.jpeg

IMG_1305.jpeg

IMG_1306.jpeg

IMG_1307.jpeg

IMG_1308.jpeg

IMG_1309.jpeg

IMG_1310.jpeg

IMG_1311.jpeg

IMG_1312.jpeg

IMG_1313.jpeg

nice haul...sure brings back memories when I lived in the Twin Cities & was dumpster diving & thrift store checking for bicycle stuff....all cuz Minnesota has 4 actual seasons, down here there's basically two...summer is one & late-fall/early-spring is the other. Well, mostly anyway...again, down here things pickup a bit better after the snowbirds leave around Feb or March...oops, pun not intended.
btw - I posted, a couple of day back, a bit comparing Kroydon shafts. Someday, I may take apart the 3 iron for sure. I put that concave "Blaster" w/a set of Kroydon irons that have that "hickory"seeming shaft.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, bcstones said:

nice haul...sure brings back memories when I lived in the Twin Cities & was dumpster diving & thrift store checking for bicycle stuff....all cuz Minnesota has 4 actual seasons, down here there's basically two...summer is one & late-fall/early-spring is the other. Well, mostly anyway...again, down here things pickup a bit better after the snowbirds leave around Feb or March...oops, pun not intended.
btw - I posted, a couple of day back, a bit comparing Kroydon shafts. Someday, I may take apart the 3 iron for sure. I put that concave "Blaster" w/a set of Kroydon irons that have that "hickory"seeming shaft.

Got 'em all cleaned up and plan on playing them Sunday afternoon paired up with 1&3 woods and wedge/putter TBD.  They look doggone good.  I rarely stop because the competition is intense there for good stuff.  The Hagen wedges came back nicely, but the grips are toast on them.  

• Like 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

1 hour ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Got 'em all cleaned up and plan on playing them Sunday afternoon paired up with 1&3 woods and wedge/putter TBD.  They look doggone good.  I rarely stop because the competition is intense there for good stuff.  The Hagen wedges came back nicely, but the grips are toast on them.  

that Hagen Ultra pitching wedge is the Ultra 66 model that I think are the best musselback iron design ever....I managed to get a full set together, put in those sensor-core thingies & regripped. They are fun!