No new acquistions...?

On 10/30/2023 at 10:46 AM, bcstones said:

Wow, with all the talk about wedges...I've got to go check the wedge bins in storage. I know I have a couple/few Clevelend & Volkey wedges in there, as well as Sandy Andy & Trusty Rusty wedges

Vokey 200 series, oil can or raw finish, are still my favorite wedges to this day period. Hard for me to consider them vintage cuz think they are barely 20 years old. Had my eyes on a mint 54/58 set on EBay that went nuts the final day. Kick myself for not hitting the $95 shipped buy it now button when I first saw them. They ended up almost twice that price. 

I’m told by quite a few the early Phil Rodger’s Trusty Rusty’s are as good as it gets. I’ve yet to try one. I only come across the modern looking ones that don’t have the PR signature. Even though I’m a sucker for rusty wedges the current trusty rusty doesn’t look right to me. 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bcstones said:

@SnowbirdTom congrats...are the shafts pyratoned/painted or chromed? Any chance you could show the shaft & the grip?
Also wonder what that triangle mark is supposed to be?

Regular chromed steel shafts.  From some reading of a previous WRX thread on these I found via google, the triangle is supposedly a shaft stiffness designator.  

The two solid persimmons should clean up nicely with some stripper, light sanding and fresh black stain/poly coating with some steady hands to do the lettering in white. A rewhip to finish the job.  

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

Cleaned 'em up over coffee this morning.  Basic soap and water did a great job as they weren't really bad.  Cleaned up the bag too and realized it's a MacGregor Jack Nicklaus bag with the plastic formed top with tubes to keep everything in it's place.  It's a little scuffed up, but totally useable! My set of JN Golden Bears are going in this bag.  lol

Registration numbers on the irons are #218029 A

Grips, faces and backs of the irons below.

IMG_1468.jpeg.7a9ebdbf2cd0833ef29f5b378416423b.jpeg

IMG_1469.jpeg.3714ac1195bc0e6690ffca8db010b0f5.jpegIMG_1472.jpeg.c146856226acc977fe57d44891ca5086.jpegIMG_1473.jpeg.945ff978170d85ff05d3e238a781f174.jpeg

And the persimmons to be rescued. Model number is 113, clear as day.  I don't think these have ever been reworked.  The crown stamps are sharp and clean.  The sole plate screws haven't been sanded either.

IMG_1474.jpeg.883ba8ae7bfed416cfb3b036aebd23e8.jpegIMG_1477.jpeg.f8218b3942ab9b994ee85a9eb88c6c22.jpegIMG_1476.jpeg.864b8a6633cc5e75fadcab2e118c240f.jpegIMG_1475.jpeg.280a2b09f8394a614e0df376bffca862.jpeg

• Like 4

TM Spider GT-X putter

A trip to Lowes and here we go.  🙂 

2 wood disassembled, whipping off to be replaced with new and varnish dissolving.  Fingers crossed, done by Sunday.

IMG_1480.jpeg.fafb394f1b86846114add1d674c24ea6.jpeg 

TM Spider GT-X putter

21 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Regular chromed steel shafts.  From some reading of a previous WRX thread on these I found via google, the triangle is supposedly a shaft stiffness designator.  

The two solid persimmons should clean up nicely with some stripper, light sanding and fresh black stain/poly coating with some steady hands to do the lettering in white. A rewhip to finish the job.  

Actually the triangle is a head weight designator it just correlates a shaft selection. These appear to be 1950 irons also as that year stainless was stamped on the toe vs the hosel.

1596855221_SynchrodyneChart.JPG.57ec3099a5b226cbd86b139731231b68.jpg

• Thanks 3

19 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Cleaned 'em up over coffee this morning.  Basic soap and water did a great job as they weren't really bad.  Cleaned up the bag too and realized it's a MacGregor Jack Nicklaus bag with the plastic formed top with tubes to keep everything in it's place.  It's a little scuffed up, but totally useable! My set of JN Golden Bears are going in this bag.  lol

Registration numbers on the irons are #218029 A

Grips, faces and backs of the irons below.

IMG_1468.jpeg.7a9ebdbf2cd0833ef29f5b378416423b.jpeg

IMG_1469.jpeg.3714ac1195bc0e6690ffca8db010b0f5.jpegIMG_1472.jpeg.c146856226acc977fe57d44891ca5086.jpegIMG_1473.jpeg.945ff978170d85ff05d3e238a781f174.jpeg

And the persimmons to be rescued. Model number is 113, clear as day.  I don't think these have ever been reworked.  The crown stamps are sharp and clean.  The sole plate screws haven't been sanded either.

IMG_1474.jpeg.883ba8ae7bfed416cfb3b036aebd23e8.jpegIMG_1477.jpeg.f8218b3942ab9b994ee85a9eb88c6c22.jpegIMG_1476.jpeg.864b8a6633cc5e75fadcab2e118c240f.jpegIMG_1475.jpeg.280a2b09f8394a614e0df376bffca862.jpeg

I think I saw where you posted those on one of the golf sites on Facebook

• Haha 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

I think I saw where you posted those on one of the golf sites on Facebook

Ya got me!  Another good place (PGS) for soaking up knowledge and spending money on goodies while sipping coffee. They’re usually real quick with answers too.  Still trying to find out what is used to bed soleplates on these old workhorses I’m redoing.  Whipping thread has been ordered and should be here today.

• Like 2

TM Spider GT-X putter

35 minutes ago, weakputt said:

Looks like mine are 1950's with a Light Weight A or T shaft?

IMG_5849.jpeg

IMG_5847.jpeg

IMG_7355.jpeg

IMG_7353.jpeg

Those look real nice.  How do they play and what would you compare them to?

TM Spider GT-X putter

9 minutes ago, bcstones said:

okay, I see that the wood head is in a plastic bag (like a zip-lock freezer???)....but how are you getting the old varnish off?

Saran wrap to keep the citri-stripper from drying out.  It works.  I take the old varnish off like that then sand paper to finish the job. I remove the sole plate, whipping and face insert, then lightly use the stripper.

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Thanks 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

4 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Saran wrap to keep the citri-stripper from drying out.  It works.  I take the old varnish off like that then sand paper to finish the job.

so all/any decals would be removed 🤔 then again, the signature on the crown is incised...do you, would you use any different method to just remove old varnish & while retaining the decals (I have a set of PowerBilt woods in great shape except for the varnish flaking off). You still have to restain, that is if you wish to.

Edited by bcstones

Just now, bcstones said:

so all/any decals would be removed 🤔 then again, the signature on the crown is incised...do you, would you use any different method to just remove old varnish & while retaining the decals (I have a set of PowerBilt woods in great shape except for the varnish flaking off)

Everything I’ve done so far has been logos engraved in the wood.  There are guys who sell the decals for the later persimmons, but I haven’t actually talked to one of them. 

If it’s just varnish removal, tape over the decal and sand the rest?  220 or finer grit very carefully over the decal maybe to

give the new varnish some bite.

• Thanks 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

22 minutes ago, bcstones said:

btw - what clubs DID Nicklaus use in his '86 victory?

Not sure of the woods specifically, but his irons were a (MacGregor) Jack Nicklaus Limited Edition set, based on the Pro-81 forging.  They were released as the Muirfield 20th irons in 1987, as the update to the Muirfield set of 83-86.

Edited by NRJyzr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

8 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Everything I’ve done so far has been logos engraved in the wood.  There are guys who sell the decals for the later persimmons, but I haven’t actually talked to one of them. 

If it’s just varnish removal, tape over the decal and sand the rest?  220 or finer grit very carefully over the decal maybe to

give the new varnish some bite.

I've also thought to use a stylus to impress the decal lettering into the wood...

btw - thanks for the posting, I've a similar set that's exactly the same (tho, I replaced the grips) & all the info that you received helped me to determine at least the decade. 

2 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Not sure of the woods specifically, but his irons were a (MacGregor) Jack Nicklaus Limited Edition set, based on the Pro-81 forging.  They were released as the Muirfield 20th irons in 1987, as the update to the Muirfield set of 83-86.

Thanks, it was a question I was asked when I attempted to join the fb group - Persimmon Golf Society...

.I guess my answer that 'I could care less what clubs Nicklaus used, but he used the Response putter' - that didn't go over well.🤣

6 minutes ago, bcstones said:

Thanks, it was a question I was asked when I attempted to join the fb group - Persimmon Golf Society...

.I guess my answer that 'I could care less what clubs Nicklaus used, but he used the Response putter' - that didn't go over well.🤣

Went down the rabbit hole, found a post from fellow classic folder contributor HoganApexBlades (aka HAB), that stated the following:

"Jack used a '54 Mac Tommy Armour 945 EOM driver and a early '50s Mac TA 693 3 wood."

Caveat:  that particular thread was talking about his clubs from the start of his career.  I'm under the impression he kept using that EOM until he switched to metal, but admit I don't *know* for sure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

It’s a one word answer. 😉

• Haha 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

Just picked up this set of 1987(?) Tommy Armour 845s Silver Scot, 3 thru P, and a Titleist Dead Center/Top-Sighter TS-235 putter (there was an old Taylor Made Tour (something or other) small head steel driver (which immediately went into the thrift store bundle).  Shafts are the TA Tour Step & the grips are TA Golf Pride Victory green (not all that fond of the GP Victory grips, a few have beginning cracks, so perhaps I'll jusr regrip soon).

All the TA 845's are marked "pat pend"....so does that mean they are '87 era?
Paid $45 for all..not sure if that was over pay or under?

TA:845#1.jpg

TA:845#2.jpg

TA:845#3.jpg

TA:845#4.jpg

Tlst:dc#1.jpg

Tlst:dc#2.jpg

Tlst:dc#3.jpg

Edited by bcstones
  • Thanks 1

I skip picking them up because you can't get them 2 degree up pre bent, but I wonder if 845 are any better then Ping Eye 2's?

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW , Wilson X31's 1970 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

3 minutes ago, Maine Golfer said:

I skip picking them up because you can't get them 2 degree up pre bent, but I wonder if 845 are any better then Ping Eye 2's?

Upright sets are out there, but not easy to find.  It's one reason I never got a set.

Going on memory, I think the 845s are a bit smaller clubhead.  They also have a slightly lower CG, and probably don't have the negative bounce in the long irons that bugs me about the Eye2.  Only marginally less forgiving than the Eye2.

and probably just as indestructible, being 17-4 stainless  🙂

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

Upright sets are out there, but not easy to find.  It's one reason I never got a set.

Going on memory, I think the 845s are a bit smaller clubhead.  They also have a slightly lower CG, and probably don't have the negative bounce in the long irons that bugs me about the Eye2.  Only marginally less forgiving than the Eye2.

and probably just as indestructible, being 17-4 stainless  🙂

Do you know if the Zing (1s) long irons have negative bounce? Whatever they are I love them, I love hitting them off the ground.  

• Like 1

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW , Wilson X31's 1970 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

1 hour ago, Orchardist said:

Overpaid.   Nastiest putter award has already been presented.  

I didn't buy them for the putter (or that early TM steel driver)...however, the putter's design is interesting. I forgot to do a pic of looking down...however, it was designed so that when the upper crosshairs align exactly w/the lower markings, the putter is level...Still, tho it'll go in the $10 bin - unless anyone is interested.

35 minutes ago, Maine Golfer said:

30 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

There is an interesting article, not going to mention the site, "The Story of an Icon: The Tommy Armour 845s"....very interesting & a good read. Also, somewhere on this site, a respondent to a 845s post said that the 3 marks on the hosel indicated lie - "The 845s came in 3 versions- 2 Upright, Standard, and 2 Flat. Hosels indicated the Lie angle"...unsure how to read the marks, is the "flat" mark toward the club head or is it toward the golfer?

In the article, it said that the 845s came in response to the Ping Eye2 & that Hogan came out w/the Hogan Edge Forged in response to the 845s. Also mentioned the same man, responsible for the design of the 845s (sweet spot in the exact same place on every iron), designed the DCI...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bcstones said:

The 845s came in 3 versions- 2 Upright, Standard, and 2 Flat. Hosels indicated the Lie angle"...unsure how to read the marks, is the "flat" mark toward the club head or is it toward the golfer?

The mark being towards the heel indicates flat.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Maine Golfer said:

Do you know if the Zing (1s) long irons have negative bounce? Whatever they are I love them, I love hitting them off the ground.  

The Zing specs don't seem to have the same lasting power as Eye2 specs.  Haven't seen them saved anywhere.

• Like 1