2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

On 8/25/2023 at 9:16 AM, Greggle said:

Measured the face and it is 35mm deep ~ 1 3/8 inches.

Also found the 3 wood for the King set on a return trip to the place i found the 1,2 &4. Reunited, and it feels so good...at least hope they will when i get them cleaned up a bit and out to my local 9. 

PXL_20230825_130529625.jpg

After measuring a few sets of my m85s and 693 they all fell around the same size anywhere from 34.4 to 36.2 on my digital calipers. I'd say it was ordered custom to match a m09 of the same year, 50-51. Great find.

1 hour ago, Coletrain said:

Nice finds, I've got an GB velo just like this but in a tad lighter shade, I think this is one of the better looking Mac's ever produced.

Also great find on the M05 pretty rare, still have the crown stamp?

The GB is my favorite deep Mac. People go nuts for the LFFs, but the Velocitized insert makes this the most interesting. I have a 58 already that I need to refinish and I'm thrilled to have both years now.

Yes on the M05 crown stamp, and it isn't too bad. I'm sending this to a friend as a gift. He is one of the more talented refinishers in the country and he will restore it to its former glory.

M94 crown.jpeg

• Like 2

9 hours ago, FloggingOkie said:

Found a nice set of 63 spade face Spalding Top Flite Professionals sans the 3 today.. for eight bucks! Crazy, just saw Snowbirds find must be Spalding season eh? Not sure how to decipher the s#'s on them though.

Beats mine.  I gave a twenty.  😃

Just found out our course is aerating tomorrow, so I’ll be playing strange courses for a couple weeks.  😕

Edited by SnowbirdTom

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

On 8/26/2023 at 10:38 AM, raggal62 said:

I'm also a little surprised some of the Mac guru's haven't chimed in on this. I know many of the old crew abandoned this site some time back. I would try posting over at the Persimmon Society on Facebook. 

I am one of the old crew and have not posted much lately. Much to my disdain I am not able to play the persimmon and blades much any more due to my back issues. I did play 7 holes last Saturday afternoon with what was supposed to be the 9& Dine rain made it the 7&Dine. I played my infamous MacHogan VIPs My Penna Jupiter Slugger 53 model 2 wood and a 62 Mac 4 wood. Had my 53 Mac Dual Sole Sw in along with My PGA Armour putter.. I had trouble because of my reduced SS even with the graphite shafted Slugger getting the ball above waist high. But I could hit it straight just not over 170 or so. We had the owners 2 sons playing with the wife and I and they can still hit a ball. But then again they had to use 2 of my Pop Corn fart drives from the Super Senior tees that were in play. I did smoke that old 2 wood from a fairway lie about 170 yards up hill and on a green. It was ugly about knee high if that but ran like it stole something. I ended up hurting myself again had pain and stiffness after 5 holes and the next day.

For me it pains me mentally that I can no longer swing and play my old stuff. I am playing the stuff in my signature 5 and 6 days a week in the league and spin off league small money games with no pain or stiffness. For me reading on here fills me with heartache and pain mentally because I can no longer continue to play much with my old stuff. Being on here I compare to a recovering Alcoholic getting a job in a Jim Beam factory. That is the reason the last 4 or 5 months you guys have not heard or seen much of me

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

3 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I am one of the old crew and have not posted much lately. Much to my disdain I am not able to play the persimmon and blades much any more due to my back issues. I did play 7 holes last Saturday afternoon with what was supposed to be the 9& Dine rain made it the 7&Dine. I played my infamous MacHogan VIPs My Penna Jupiter Slugger 53 model 2 wood and a 62 Mac 4 wood. Had my 53 Mac Dual Sole Sw in along with My PGA Armour putter.. I had trouble because of my reduced SS even with the graphite shafted Slugger getting the ball above waist high. But I could hit it straight just not over 170 or so. We had the owners 2 sons playing with the wife and I and they can still hit a ball. But then again they had to use 2 of my Pop Corn fart drives from the Super Senior tees that were in play. I did smoke that old 2 wood from a fairway lie about 170 yards up hill and on a green. It was ugly about knee high if that but ran like it stole something. I ended up hurting myself again had pain and stiffness after 5 holes and the next day.

For me it pains me mentally that I can no longer swing and play my old stuff. I am playing the stuff in my signature 5 and 6 days a week in the league and spin off league small money games with no pain or stiffness. For me reading on here fills me with heartache and pain mentally because I can no longer continue to play much with my old stuff. Being on here I compare to a recovering Alcoholic getting a job in a Jim Beam factory. That is the reason the last 4 or 5 months you guys have not heard or seen much of me

I can understand that, and thanks for update. 

I hope you can get to play without pain again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

Sorry to hear but glad you can still play the game with moderns. If you think 76 Apex’s with Legend 3 shafts are doable send me a PM. Even though they are on the lighter side I like them but would gladly get them in your hands if it meant you could play vintage easier. Or if I ever find a set of Apex 4 shafts you will be the first to know for my takeouts. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ezgoer said:

Sorry to hear but glad you can still play the game with moderns. If you think 76 Apex’s with Legend 3 shafts are doable send me a PM. Even though they are on the lighter side I like them but would gladly get them in your hands if it meant you could play vintage easier. Or if I ever find a set of Apex 4 shafts you will be the first to know for my takeouts. 

Thanks man I do have Apex 2s I think in the VIPs what ever the senior shaft is. It is so not much the weight or flex but the vibration running through my arms and down to my back. Nerve damage is a funny thing. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FloggingOkie said:

Found a nice set of 63 spade face Spalding Top Flite Professionals sans the 3 today.. for eight bucks! Crazy, just saw Snowbirds find must be Spalding season eh? Not sure how to decipher the s#'s on them though.

20230903_192944.jpg

20230903_193018.jpg

20230903_193001.jpg

20230903_193007.jpg

20230903_192918.jpg

Man these do it for me, that pitching wedge is just gorgeous!

14 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

Thanks man I do have Apex 2s I think in the VIPs what ever the senior shaft is. It is so not much the weight or flex but the vibration running through my arms and down to my back. Nerve damage is a funny thing. 

Oh boy, my mother has terrible nerve pain. I’d never say I know your pain but I have seen a love one deal with it. She actually has an OxyContin prescription cuz she’s well past the point of surgery cuz of age and medical condition. Not to bring it down but don’t wish that level of pain on anyone. It’s fantastic you can still play anyways with whatever. Huge difference using moderns to be able to play than using moderns to shave 2-5 shots around off your score so the advertising says.

Forgot I have a set of 53 WH Ultra’s with senior shafts but again it would be the vibrations. Good luck and keep on keeping on. 

Edited by ezgoer
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BIG STU said:

Just wandering Stu, have you tried the jumbo grips? I've heard they lesson feel in the hands along with promote a looser grip. might be a little less vibration for you, just a thought.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, FloggingOkie said:

20230903_192944.jpg

20230903_193018.jpg

20230903_193001.jpg

20230903_193007.jpg

20230903_192918.jpg

That’s a higher serial number than a lot I have seen.  The black ring around the top of the ferrule is associated with the higher serial numbers.    They made these through 63 to 64. I’d guess a 64 would be yours 

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

3 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

That’s a higher serial number than a lot I have seen.  The black ring around the top of the ferrule is associated with the higher serial numbers.    They made these through 63 to 64. I’d guess a 64 would be yours 

Good info! So after a good cleaning I've figured the shafts are about 1" shorter than standard. The original grips are in pretty good shape, at least good enough you'd hate to cut them off. But other than adding an inch and regriping them wadaya gonna do.. we'll see.

2 hours ago, FloggingOkie said:

Good info! So after a good cleaning I've figured the shafts are about 1" shorter than standard. The original grips are in pretty good shape, at least good enough you'd hate to cut them off. But other than adding an inch and regriping them wadaya gonna do.. we'll see.

Shorter than modern standard if 1963 Standard?  The 2i should be 38 5/8s. 
If you want to flip or trade them let me know.  

7 hours ago, ezgoer said:

Oh boy, my mother has terrible nerve pain. I’d never say I know your pain but I have seen a love one deal with it. She actually has an OxyContin prescription cuz she’s well past the point of surgery cuz of age and medical condition. Not to bring it down but don’t wish that level of pain on anyone. It’s fantastic you can still play anyways with whatever. Huge difference using moderns to be able to play than using moderns to shave 2-5 shots around off your score so the advertising says.

Forgot I have a set of 53 WH Ultra’s with senior shafts but again it would be the vibrations. Good luck and keep on keeping on. 

I got off the Oxy and Flexeril train a long time ago. For a while I was on the CBD and Mary Jane thing along with Fireball Whiskey. I really did not want to do any of that either. I had been dabbling with the modern irons and graphite more than a year. I decided to switch for good around April. It has made a difference I had not did any meds for the last 3 months and can play 4 5 or 6 times a week with no pain or stiffness. That little escapade last week with the blades and persimmon frankly hurt. After medicating with CBD Saturday night I was still stiff Sunday morning but after Church I worked it out. Took Monday off too. Played the modern stuff Tuesday and Wednesday with no pain. Had a rainout Thursday and Friday but played Saturday ok. 

• Like 4

49 minutes ago, Coletrain said:

hold up pump the brakes, i just noticed that the m05 is a normal wood of the era and not the thick necked, full brass sole plated version of the same denomination. I've never heard or seen a M05 like this.

'51/'52 looked like mine, the full brass sole plate came in '53 with the M06.

21 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Shorter than modern standard if 1963 Standard?  The 2i should be 38 5/8s. 
If you want to flip or trade them let me know.  

One inch Shorter than my 73 Hogan's just visually 7 iron to 7 iron will take a tape measure and look into it over the wkend. I would trade them for a cool older set of some sort. Prefer regular to lite flex stuff. If you like let me know what you have. I also have lots of putters, wedges and woods. Could round out the set a little maybe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FloggingOkie said:

One inch Shorter than my 73 Hogan's just visually 7 iron to 7 iron will take a tape measure and look into it over the wkend. I would trade them for a cool older set of some sort. Prefer regular to lite flex stuff. If you like let me know what you have. I also have lots of putters, wedges and woods. Could round out the set a little maybe.

I might have something for you iron set wise.  

On 9/5/2023 at 8:24 PM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

I might have something for you iron set wise.  

So the 7 iron is about 35-1/2" which is about 1-1/4" under modern standard length. FYI the 2 and 3 iron are awol. If you're good with that just let me know what you might want to swap.

1 hour ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

FB Market place pick.  1966-66 Spalding Elites.  2-pw super clean original half cord grips.  2i still has swing weight.   Woods are laminate but pro line for that year.  Original ‘66-68 bag.   Seller told me all was found at an estate sale. 
IMG_1147.jpeg.780330fe8fa903e29af2e348b2169cb1.jpegIMG_1149.jpeg.dbaeb2386dde56ed06a869a6e92facde.jpegIMG_1148.jpeg.c6bee5cb81aa033337b6519fb6d14e51.jpegIMG_1150.jpeg.e8077adb4eeecc0ff7202acfd85b59b0.jpegIMG_1151.jpeg.e65fd20ac6386ec3ddf2c9ad8a816263.jpeg

Absolutely incredible find, amazing to think what's still out there.

Love the color combo of the ferrules, the back of the blade, and the plate on the bag. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

FB Market place pick.  1966-66 Spalding Elites.  2-pw super clean original half cord grips.  2i still has swing weight.   Woods are laminate but pro line for that year.  Original ‘66-68 bag.   Seller told me all was found at an estate sale. 
IMG_1147.jpeg.780330fe8fa903e29af2e348b2169cb1.jpegIMG_1149.jpeg.dbaeb2386dde56ed06a869a6e92facde.jpegIMG_1148.jpeg.c6bee5cb81aa033337b6519fb6d14e51.jpegIMG_1150.jpeg.e8077adb4eeecc0ff7202acfd85b59b0.jpegIMG_1151.jpeg.e65fd20ac6386ec3ddf2c9ad8a816263.jpeg

Very nice.  What shafts are in them?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Swingingk said:

Very nice.  What shafts are in them?

The stock medium shafts.  They are the same unique 38 5/8s lenght as all the earlier 60s Spaldings too.  Oddly these grips aren't cracked and the half cord still feels like they wouldn't slip outta my hand if I tried them out.  The woman who bought them from the estate sale said she bought them for her son and they were too long so I know they have been used at least once.   I do believe clubs are meant to be played. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Those clubs are awesome. The bag might be cooler than the clubs.

On 9/7/2023 at 8:55 PM, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Love the time capsule aspect. Incredible condition and awesome right down to the cool bag and matching headcovers. Think this winter I’m gonna search out a few vintage headcover set’s just because. 

• Like 2