2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

5 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

Anyone else have this problem with Golfwrx.

There may be multiple reactions/quotes re posts and when you click on them (on the 'time' element) it then dumps you in the middle of the thread.

It's one of the more irritating facets of the new Golfwrx. (well, I guess not so new, but you'ld be forgiven for thinking they would have sorted out these glitches by now!)

Yes for awhile now. Not exactly sure how long because I’ve been attributing it to poor Wi-Fi service at my house 

16 hours ago, ezgoer said:

You’re right, quite a few options so tough to pick one and we’d probably all be different. If you say you prefer blondes you still notice brunette’s right. These Palmer Standard Originals really do it for me after I found they existed. 
IMG_1790.jpeg.923cd20539b3960738ffab76084727a3.jpeg

Chrome Muirfield-ish looking to me. Something I definitely want and keeping my fingers crossed to find at $50-100 range someday but not holding my breath. See sets available online for $200-300 and if you were to have just one vintage set I would say it would be a good one to pick looks wise but why not have 4-6 sets for that kinda money. 

Thanks for the info. That timeframe seems right with the shafts I see in them online. Either TTDG’s or Precision Rifles. With my limited knowledge of Standard clubs I was even wondering if these could have been a component club offering. I haven’t seen a set in person other than my buddies son has the 1 iron and that has created my lust for a set. Hopefully one finds me some day.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ezgoer said:

Thanks for the info. That timeframe seems right with the shafts I see in them online. Either TTDG’s or Precision Rifles. With my limited knowledge of Standard clubs I was even wondering if these could have been a component club offering. I haven’t seen a set in person other than my buddies son has the 1 iron and that has created my lust for a set. Hopefully one finds me some day.

I've never seen another set like it either....plenty of Peerless, Axiom, & other Standards (but different from your pic)...

6 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

Anyone else have this problem with Golfwrx.

There may be multiple reactions/quotes re posts and when you click on them (on the 'time' element) it then dumps you in the middle of the thread.

It's one of the more irritating facets of the new Golfwrx. (well, I guess not so new, but you'ld be forgiven for thinking they would have sorted out these glitches by now!)

I've noticed it..once I figure out what those circle or stars meant 🙃 I just thought it was me, not hitting the icon correctly in the center or just right on the edge. Sometimes I end up in the middle, othertimes it goes right to the last unread post (unless there are many unread posts....maybe that is where the glitch is???)

3 hours ago, bcstones said:

to start...I prefer redheads 🥸

I checked Maltby's cuz I was pretty sure the Palmer Standard Original were made after Arnold Palmer got sold & eventually ended back in the Pro-Group corral. First Flight & Palmer Golf were great sellers for Pro-Group & after Pro-Group got Palmer back - First Flight & Palmer clubs were the same just w/name changes. Maltby's first describes this club in 1989. They are good looking. For awhile, First Flight & Palmer clubs were the same, just names were substituted. Looks like somewhere in the mid-'80s, First Flight name doesn't show & it all Palmer. I think there was a management change....

I have a set of the original Arnold Palmer Tru-Matics....I believe it's circa '65 

The Palmer Standard first showed up in 1978, and Palmer was already part of Pro Group at that point.  

FWIW, I've seen First Flight Standards (in person) that were sold at the same time as the 78 Standards (which I've owned), they're identical.  Stating the obvious here.  🙂

The Original Standards first emerged in 1987.  If you look at the Maltby guide, it gives you a "same as 1989" starting then, instead of the "same as 1985" we see in the 1986 listing for the Standard.

Fun fact that everyone may already know....   the Standards were a parallel bore.

• Like 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

2 hours ago, ezgoer said:

Yes for awhile now. Not exactly sure how long because I’ve been attributing it to poor Wi-Fi service at my house 

But WiFi in my house is superfast and brilliant. Everything else works as it should. Even the Sky TV man tried to pull that one but was blown out and had to replace the Sky Box.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NRJyzr said:

The Palmer Standard first showed up in 1978, and Palmer was already part of Pro Group at that point.  

FWIW, I've seen First Flight Standards (in person) that were sold at the same time as the 78 Standards (which I've owned), they're identical.  Stating the obvious here.  🙂

The Original Standards first emerged in 1987.  If you look at the Maltby guide, it gives you a "same as 1989" starting then, instead of the "same as 1985" we see in the 1986 listing for the Standard.

Fun fact that everyone may already know....   the Standards were a parallel bore.

you know, I did do that....followed from 1987 to 1989, then (brain fart) wrote 1989. I never really got onto Palmer, neither as a player or his clubs...grew up w/my Dad as a died in the wool Hogan & Jones fan.
Thinking about Palmer & all the problem he had when he sold his name (only his name) to Sears & the problems stemming from that. He wasn't the first, Johnny Bulla did the same almost 30 years earlier when he endorsed a golf ball sold by Walgreens - at a lower price than the major companys...and played them on tour. He took alot of heat....far more than Palmer ever suffered.

This past Saturday while at that show, another vender told me he'd been at an estate sail & had seen some wooden clubs, wasn't sure of the shafts, but thought they could be, they were in an old bag. The sale had already closed for the day, but I did make sure I was there 1st thing next day...sure hoped that the clubs were hickory shaft.................they weren't hickory shafts 🥲🙃😂 but they were wood woods, metal woods & a couple/few irons...plus 3 fishing rods. Total cost - just under $25 including tax. Sorry about the pic...I took them behind my table at the show. There were also 2 generic miniature golf putters that will be headed to thrift store with perhaps the Ram laminated 7 wood.

grab:bag#1.jpgthe bag is green leatherlike...I'd have paid $20 for the bag alone

grab:bag#2.jpg

Bristol 2 & 3 ProModel Laminated  woods TT ProFit R shaft

Walter Hagen Strata Bloc woods - weird, but there is nothing anywhere that indicates a # ,(guessing, till I measure the loft, it's a driver, 2 (brass plate) & 3. Shafts are all TT Dynamic "A" & Golf Pride Dimple grips;

Walter Hagen 2,3,4 perssimmon woods TrueTemper ProFit "R" shaft, The 2 has a green SwingRight grip & the other 2 have nice leather WH grips;

MacGregor Tourney persimmon 5 wood, MacGregor Response shaft w/"2" medium & old corded Grip Rite grip;

Ram Laminated 7 wood, Ram Shot Lighting "R" shaft, & old Ram grip cracked w/some electric tape 

grab:bag#3.jpg

Burke Punchiron Mark II 2 iron in the background w/True Temper Rocket "R" shaft;  Northwesteren Nelson Classic 3 iron & no shaft band 

grab:bag#4.jpg

& Bristol Greenbriar putter

grab:bag#5.jpg

Ram G-Force 1,3,5 woods w/Ram Tour Force Graphite shafts & Ram grips. Wilson ProStaff Dual Metal 10.5* w/Wilson ProStaff Wide Tip "R" & Wilson grips.

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

But WiFi in my house is superfast and brilliant. Everything else works as it should. Even the Sky TV man tried to pull that one but was blown out and had to replace the Sky Box.

Should have mentioned my lack of basic computer and IT knowledge. As it turns out there’s a pretty good perk of having teenagers for these problems almost offsetting the other drama’s. Whenever I would get directed into the middle of a thread the pictures loading a few at a time has my screen jumping so the frustration keeps me from noticing an actual problem with where I’m directed too.

• Like 2

On 8/19/2023 at 5:47 PM, Greggle said:

Found some nice old persimmons on my latest venture to second hand.

A set of irving king woods 1, 2, 4... the 4 is rough, the 2 is is pretty good shape and driver is in-between. Love collecting old clubmakers, adds to my other King but has that retro decal instead of the name stamp.

Second shop found a TA Macgregor Tourney  3 wood(rough condition) but stamped:

Rec no. 5757

-LFF- 

Ive only seen/heard of LFF drivers, and the face doesn't look large, though i don't have a similar club to compare. Anybody know more about this? Custom order or what?

PXL_20230819_210752378.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230819_210806367.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230819_210830823.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230819_210850152.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230819_210858838.PORTRAIT.jpg

Could you measure the face depth of the LFF at the highest part, i can compare with a few of my 3 woods of the same era when i get home. it very well may be a custom deep face 3 wood made by special order.

• Thanks 1

On 8/19/2023 at 3:47 PM, Greggle said:

Found some nice old persimmons on my latest venture to second hand.

A set of irving king woods 1, 2, 4... the 4 is rough, the 2 is is pretty good shape and driver is in-between. Love collecting old clubmakers, adds to my other King but has that retro decal instead of the name stamp.

Second shop found a TA Macgregor Tourney  3 wood(rough condition) but stamped:

Rec no. 5757

-LFF- 

Ive only seen/heard of LFF drivers, and the face doesn't look large, though i don't have a similar club to compare. Anybody know more about this? Custom order or what?

PXL_20230819_210752378.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230819_210806367.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230819_210830823.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230819_210850152.PORTRAIT.jpg

PXL_20230819_210858838.PORTRAIT.jpg

Love the look of those King's.  That's a nifty set and would be a sweet addition to a classic bag.

The MacGregor 3-wood is a strange one to me as I've not seen one before.  I'm a bit surprised that the LFF gurus haven't commented on it yet.  It does look like it's got a deep face and I'm pretty sure there is more score lines in the face than is normal for a 3-wood of this era.  What is this thing?

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Swingingk said:

Love the look of those King's.  That's a nifty set and would be a sweet addition to a classic bag.

The MacGregor 3-wood is a strange one to me as I've not seen one before.  I'm a bit surprised that the LFF gurus haven't commented on it yet.  It does look like it's got a deep face and I'm pretty sure there is more score lines in the face than is normal for a 3-wood of this era.  What is this thing?

not familiar with this model # will have a look in the mac book to see if there is any mention of it in there, if there is i would think it may be a model from late 49 or 50, could be wrong.

i also thought the same thing about the groves but it appears there are the same number between the screws as a base model 693. it almost looks closer to a model 40 than a model 69, just my observation.

• Thanks 1

On 8/25/2023 at 7:16 AM, Greggle said:

Measured the face and it is 35mm deep ~ 1 3/8 inches.

Also found the 3 wood for the King set on a return trip to the place i found the 1,2 &4. Reunited, and it feels so good...at least hope they will when i get them cleaned up a bit and out to my local 9. 

PXL_20230825_130529625.jpg

I'm also a little surprised some of the Mac guru's haven't chimed in on this. I know many of the old crew abandoned this site some time back. I would try posting over at the Persimmon Society on Facebook. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Gonna be a good weekend.  

Today was a 30 minute drive and while the stash was disappointing, I did land a nice set of 1963ish Wilson X31 laminate 1-5 woods to go with my Turfrider irons.  There were a couple Spalding women’s persimmons in there too.  Bird on ball Beth Stone Monograms 1&3 in presentable condition.

Tomorrow should get me a full set of early ‘60s Top Flite clubs. 😎  Hard to decipher from the crappy pictures, but he’s 10 minutes away. 

IMG_1239.jpeg

IMG_1241.jpeg

IMG_1240.jpeg

IMG_1242.jpeg

IMG_1243.jpeg

• Like 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

10 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Gonna be a good weekend.  

Today was a 30 minute drive and while the stash was disappointing, I did land a nice set of 1963ish Wilson X31 laminate 1-5 woods to go with my Turfrider irons.  There were a couple Spalding women’s persimmons in there too.  Bird on ball Beth Stone Monograms 1&3 in presentable condition.

Tomorrow should get me a full set of early ‘60s Top Flite clubs. 😎  Hard to decipher from the crappy pictures, but he’s 10 minutes away. 

IMG_1239.jpeg

IMG_1241.jpeg

IMG_1240.jpeg

IMG_1242.jpeg

IMG_1243.jpeg

Those Beth Stone "Persimmonite" are actually a composite head. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, raggal62 said:

Those Beth Stone "Persimmonite" are actually a composite head. 

Well, &%#&*$(@!!   Guess I'll try them out and make a decision from there.  It was a real cheap $5 mistake.

TM Spider GT-X putter

30 minutes ago, bcstones said:

you should search out Beth Stone....interesting 

I figured to get her name on clubs, she’d be a pretty awesome pro.

TM Spider GT-X putter

Today’s package was good and bad.  Rescued the playable 1963/64 Spalding spade faced 3-10 iron set with just a good scrubbing.  Leather grips are still supple.  Shafts are solid. Got a nice Walter Hagen My-Own blade putter that will be played.

The Wilson laminates went straight into the bin.  Water damaged and shafts rusted to base iron. The rest were scruffy Northwestern store lines and not worth the soap to look hard at.

IMG_1244.jpeg

IMG_1245.jpeg

IMG_1246.jpeg

IMG_1247.jpeg

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Like 3

TM Spider GT-X putter

20 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Today’s package was good and bad.  Rescued the playable 1963/64 Spalding spade faced 3-10 iron set with just a good scrubbing.  Leather grips are still supple.  Shafts are solid. Got a nice Walter Hagen My-Own blade putter that will be played.

The Wilson laminates went straight into the bin.  Water damaged and shafts rusted to base iron. The rest were scruffy Northwestern store lines and not worth the soap to look hard at.

IMG_1244.jpeg

IMG_1245.jpeg

IMG_1246.jpeg

IMG_1247.jpeg

Nice find on the Spade faces!

Edited by cold_war_era_golfer
  • Thanks 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

1 hour ago, cold_war_era_golfer said:

Nice find on the Spade faces!

Thanks!  They’re bagged up and next up on the hit parade for Monday.  Gotta figure out what woods will team up nicely from the on hand stock. I’d love to find some playable Model 14s or 79s in 1/3 wood.

• Like 1

TM Spider GT-X putter