2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

was in storage today...getting read to vend vintage fly fishing sets & some vintage golf sets & putters (mostly Ping) and set up info for the "Healing Waters Fly Fishing" program (teach disabled Vets fly fishing skills)...oh yeah, at the local Vet Center gun show 😂 yup, been doing this for a number of years.

Anyway, in storage I was looking for a particular MacGregor Byron Nelson set I thought I had (the '57 269 w/the Texas outline w/a star, the bottom pic...I could have sworn I had one).

So I came across a set of '62ish 242 Tourney (?), in okay shape w/white, or now eggshell, grips & the shaft bands say "MacGregor Full Flexion" (feels quite stiff).

Even better, boxed, was a complete set of Golfsmith pyratone shafted leather grips in near pristine condition (they stayed in the box for later)...Maltby's has no section for Golfsmith, yet I think in their history of some makers, the company pops up, did they make high quality clubs back in the pyratone era or earlier?

McG:LBN.jpg 

top is the Lord Byron 231, middle is the Tourney (?) M 242, last is what I call the Texas 269 (it's a PW, don't have the rest of the set - at least I didn't find it)

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 2

On 7/26/2023 at 7:51 PM, RobotDoctor said:

MacGregor Ben Hogan tour model now in my stable. 

IMG_7307.jpeg

IMG_7312.jpeg

IMG_7308.jpeg

IMG_7309.jpeg

IMG_7313.jpeg

IMG_7315.jpeg

Would love to have a set of these, been keeping an eye out for a reasonable set. this looks like a great example did you have it restored or did you pick it up like this? I'm starting to lean toward the darker stains.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Coletrain said:

Would love to have a set of these, been keeping an eye out for a reasonable set. this looks like a great example did you have it restored or did you pick it up like this? I'm starting to lean toward the darker stains.

This driver was restored by John Hayes.  It has a nice deeper face and in excellent condition. The stampings and soleplate were terrific as well as the shaft. 

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

1 hour ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Time to start learning new skills.  Got a goodly sized group of scruffy persimmons in the bin needing refinish.  🙂

IMG_1173.jpeg.aea75748a031a3963ed8ed5d941d70e5.jpeg
Before…

IMG_1192.jpeg.5238b5037d73816e9f8b7fb2e3af6091.jpeg

Second coat of citrus stripper

IMG_1194.jpeg.667275dfc580f01ebb365cb728e814bc.jpeg
Sole plates and face insert clean up.  Found a couple cracks to epoxy and clamp. One just above where the “1” was stamped and one on the hosel.

IMG_1193.jpeg.471f9a72aab7e42fd61aa45f6df67ec5.jpeg
Working the crown inscription.

Got two screws in the large plate to extract.  They were put in crooked by the last set of hands to work on it.  Time and patience will make it right.

Nice grain already on a bare sanded head. Can’t wait to see it done. Keep the update coming. I’ve collected a few that I need to try my hand at. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ezgoer said:

Nice grain already on a bare sanded head. Can’t wait to see it done. Keep the update coming. I’ve collected a few that I need to try my hand at. 

Honestly?  This one came apart super easy except for two screws installed wrong (not straight in, one was into the face insert) the last time they were worked on.  Citrus stripper changed every 30 minutes for three applications and the previous coating was THICK.  One quick sand with a 100 grit sanding sponge to the pictured condition.  A few passes with a b**tard file to the insert recess and sole plate cavity to remove the old glue.  Put the face insert across a flat sanding surface to get it's glue removed.  Wire brush to the inside of the sole plate to remove that glue residue and done for now.

The screws will be drilled and extracted, then holes cleaned up and filled with dowel to make it a solid block again.

The reassembly with go much slower because rushing the process will show in the work.  The whipping is my big fear.  lol

Full disclosure.  I have a well stocked tool box and equipped garage from my working days.  😉

Project today was cleanup some HB Louisville Grand Slam "Rocket" forged irons (missing a 5 iron) that I snagged yesterday.  They'd been severely neglected and were pretty much solid brown.  WD-40 and a fine wire brush got them all cleaned up and a brillo pad finished the process.  Leather reminder grips are literally perfect condition.  Supple and tacky with full original color.  Shafts are good too!  There's a set of H&B Citation persimmons in the to be matched up pile going into the bag with them.   🙂

IMG_1195.jpeg

IMG_1197.jpeg

IMG_1196.jpeg

Edited by SnowbirdTom
  • Like 2

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4-6 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 7-PW stiff

Taylormade MG4 52/56 wedges

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

On 8/6/2023 at 12:34 PM, bcstones said:

Holy Moly!!! Just double checked the refinished Spalding Jones' woods I have - all have that split sole. The shafts are steel w/only one step about 1/2 way up the shaft & actually goes a bit smaller then widens to the grip (no shaft band). Grips are one piece leather, the seam is splitting at the seam, but still quite usable....once I figure out how to remove & regrip w/same leather. (I was planning to assign them to a set of Spalding Jones' SS Tournament Model set w/steel TT Dynamic "T" shafts & Karma grips (I did that)....

I'll check the storage probably tomorrow for the pyratone sets, when I head into town...

Any luck finding the pyratone iron sets?  Now that the woods are in rework stage, I'm getting geeked about playing them.  eBay has several partial sets, but high $$ for literally half sets of irons.

TM Spider GT-X putter

21 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Project today was cleanup some HB Louisville Grand Slam "Rocket" forged irons (missing a 5 iron) that I snagged yesterday.  They'd been severely neglected and were pretty much solid brown.  WD-40 and a fine wire brush got them all cleaned up and a brillo pad finished the process.  Leather reminder grips are literally perfect condition.  Supple and tacky with full original color.  Shafts are good too!  There's a set of H&B Citation persimmons in the to be matched up pile going into the bag with them.   🙂

And I found the 5 iron in the other bag that came in the deal.  *sigh*  All recent iron acquisitions have been cleaned, polished and sorted with notes on needed mods made.  Persimmons are in a separate to be worked bag and will be addressed over the coming months before I head south for winter golf.

• Like 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

23 hours ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Any luck finding the pyratone iron sets?  Now that the woods are in rework stage, I'm getting geeked about playing them.  eBay has several partial sets, but high $$ for literally half sets of irons.

Yes, yesterday at the end of a long hot weekend...looking for the brown pyratone or painted Spalding Robert T Jones Jr Kro-Flite set (which I didn't find), however did find this set of yellow pyratoned set, 2 thru 9.  As you'll see, the heads are a wee bit rough, the shafts for the most part look great (only a couple of sheaths are cracking) & the one piece leather sheathing grip, needs to be somehow reset to the shaft. 
The 2 iron I tried to remove the rusty stuff w/PB Blaster/0000steel wool/1500grit wet/dry, & a Dremel purple fine brush. The next pic is an untouched 3 iron..... 

S:rtj#1.jpg

S:rtj#2.jpg

S:rtj#3.jpg

S:rtj#4.jpg

Since these are Kro-Flite, they are pre-1950. With those grips I might even push for somewhere after Spalding hired Jones (1931, I think) so these might be circa mid or late 1930s.

In the garage, I know I have a set of Spalding RTJ jr Syncro Stroke set w/steel chromed shaft & very nice leather wrapped grips. I'm guessing that are circa mid '50 cuz they look like the Syncro Dyned Spaldings, so are probably their retail line. I can take pics if you wish to see them.

Edited by bcstones
  • Thanks 1

also this weekend, as above - long & hot, not only was I looking for that RTJ jr set but also the MacGregor "Texas" Byron Nelson set, I'm sure I have (but didn't find....again). However I did find, in  one of those golf cargo travel thingies 7 complete sets & 1 started set of clubs I'd totally forgotten about.

The 7 sets are all complete, either 2 thru 9, 3 thru PW or 2 thru PW....the VIP Nicklaus set is 2,4,6,8 & putter...the 4 iron is a different shaft, some kind of TT stepped shaft w/no shaft band, the other are all Tru Temper

Micro-stepped 2 shafts...

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4349.jpg

IMG_4350.jpg

IMG_4351.jpg

IMG_4352.jpg

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, bcstones said:

also this weekend, as above - long & hot, not only was I looking for that RTJ jr set but also the MacGregor "Texas" Byron Nelson set, I'm sure I have (but didn't find....again). However I did find, in  one of those golf cargo travel thingies 7 complete sets & 1 started set of clubs I'd totally forgotten about.

The 7 sets are all complete, either 2 thru 9, 3 thru PW or 2 thru PW....the VIP Nicklaus set is 2,4,6,8 & putter...the 4 iron is a different shaft, some kind of TT stepped shaft w/no shaft band, the other are all Tru Temper

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4349.jpg

IMG_4350.jpg

IMG_4351.jpg

IMG_4352.jpg

I love those Spaldings !

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bcstones said:

Yes, yesterday at the end of a long hot weekend...looking for the brown pyratone or painted Spalding Robert T Jones Jr Kro-Flite set (which I didn't find), however did find this set of yellow pyratoned set, 2 thru 9.  As you'll see, the heads are a wee bit rough, the shafts for the most part look great (only a couple of sheaths are cracking) & the one piece leather sheathing grip, needs to be somehow reset to the shaft. 
The 2 iron I tried to remove the rusty stuff w/PB Blaster/0000steel wool/1500grit wet/dry, & a Dremel purple fine brush. The next pic is an untouched 3 iron..... 

S:rtj#1.jpg

S:rtj#2.jpg

S:rtj#3.jpg

S:rtj#4.jpg

Since these are Kro-Flite, they are pre-1950. With those grips I might even push for somewhere after Spalding hired Jones (1931, I think) so these might be circa mid or late 1930s.

In the garage, I know I have a set of Spalding RTJ jr Syncro Stroke set w/steel chromed shaft & very nice leather wrapped grips. I'm guessing that are circa mid '50 cuz they look like the Syncro Dyned Spaldings, so are probably their retail line. I can take pics if you wish to see them.

Found a set of RTJ Jr. Registered Stainless, 2i > 9i, matching #10 putter and #1, #2 & #3 persimmons.

Steel shafts True Temper shafts, perfect long leather grips.

IMG_7349.jpeg

IMG_7350.jpeg

IMG_7352.jpeg

IMG_7357.jpeg

IMG_7353.jpeg

IMG_7355.jpeg

IMG_7356.jpeg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, weakputt said:

Found a set of RTJ Jr. Registered Stainless, 2i > 9i, matching #10 putter and #1, #2 & #3 persimmons.

Steel shafts True Temper shafts, perfect long leather grips.

IMG_7349.jpeg

IMG_7350.jpeg

IMG_7352.jpeg

IMG_7357.jpeg

IMG_7353.jpeg

IMG_7355.jpeg

IMG_7356.jpeg

I've got an iron set of those also....however, the 1,2,3 woods are Spalding tournament w/a 2 piece soleplate, matching numbers (tho the 2 wood has a 14 next to the bore thu shaft.

Do you have any idea what that diamond around the dot might signify?

5 minutes ago, weakputt said:

Also found some McGregor Ben Hogan Texan Reg. No. 1322. #2, #5, #7, #9 and matching putter. Pyatone shafts and long leather grips in near perfect condition. 

IMG_7345.jpeg

IMG_7344.jpeg

IMG_7346.jpeg

IMG_7343.jpeg

Beautiful set....

ahhh....pyratone shafted, now I know what to look for....tho, the PW I showed in a posting a bit above this one, is a chrome steel shafted. 

Edited by bcstones

52 minutes ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

I love those Spaldings !

I even have the 1 iron...I'd love to get them to you. I'm sure not gonna ever play them, they need to find a good home. However, shipping across the pond from me, in west central Texas, to you somewhere in the UK....that I think would be quite a shipping fee 🙃😂

12 minutes ago, bcstones said:

I even have the 1 iron...I'd love to get them to you. I'm sure not gonna ever play them, they need to find a good home. However, shipping across the pond from me, in west central Texas, to you somewhere in the UK....that I think would be quite a shipping fee 🙃😂

I have the Custom Crafted 3-9 +SW, never did find the PW. Come to think on it, I never did find a Spalding Pitching wedge I liked.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, bcstones said:

The 1-iron! I dream of finding one. I picked up a 2i in a thrift store and have another 2-PW set on their way to me... I like them that much. If you can play a blade you should take them out for a round.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

I have the Custom Crafted 3-9 +SW, never did find the PW. Come to think on it, I never did find a Spalding Pitching wedge I liked.

didn't Spalding make a "Dynamiter" or an "Exploder"? I have a Beckley Ralston "Trapshooter", a massive club from the era of "let the clubhead do the work", totally fun. I know I have a Walter Hagen Concave wedge...outlawed, but who cares as long as one plays for fun not competition or sanctioned event

51 minutes ago, AdamMH said:

The 1-iron! I dream of finding one. I picked up a 2i in a thrift store and have another 2-PW set on their way to me... I like them that much. If you can play a blade you should take them out for a round.

would a Browning 440 count as a blade? I have practiced w/a Haig Ultra 66 model (I love the structure of this mussle back) wonderful feel. the 440s are just fun

Edited by bcstones

53 minutes ago, bcstones said:

didn't Spalding make a "Dynamiter" or an "Exploder"? I have a Beckley Ralston "Trapshooter", a massive club from the era of "let the clubhead do the work", totally fun. I know I have a Walter Hagen Concave wedge...outlawed, but who cares as long as one plays for fun not competition or sanctioned event

would a Browning 440 count as a blade? I have practiced w/a Haig Ultra 66 model (I love the structure of this mussle back) wonderful feel. the 440s are just fun

I don't know... those Brownings are so low-profile they almost have the CG of a game improvement club.

Spalding did indeed make a Dynamiter - I have one in 57* loft.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AdamMH said:

I don't know... those Brownings are so low-profile they almost have the CG of a game improvement club.

Spalding did indeed make a Dynamiter - I have one in 57* loft.

😂 I also have, not yet played, the low profile sets - MacGregor MG & Walter Hagen MatrixLP....so just how large a face is needed to be called a "blade"? If a Ping Anser putter is called a blade putter, why not call the 440s blades 😇

57* loft is basically a lob wedge, isn't it. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

Hard to find but for the various vintage sets Spalding would have a 10i and a PW.  The 10i was more like the Wilson PW which was shaped like a higher lofted 9i.  The PW usually were pretty heft and more so a trouble club.  

• Like 1

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

4 hours ago, bcstones said:

IMG_4345.jpg

IMG_4346.jpg

IMG_4347.jpg

IMG_4348.jpg

IMG_4349.jpg

IMG_4350.jpg

IMG_4351.jpg

IMG_4352.jpg

That first M/T non split sole set is interesting. Haven’t seen those before. The Tour Editions gotta be pretty close to the top of ‘the prettiest club ever made’ category 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ezgoer said:

That first M/T non split sole set is interesting. Haven’t seen those before. The Tour Editions gotta be pretty close to the top of ‘the prettiest club ever made’ category 

agree w/you on the M/T, would love to know more...and the "starter" set of VIP Nicklaus - fairly sure they're investment cast, but I've not seen any others. 

You got me thinking...yeah, the Tour Editions are pretty - but the "prettiest club ever made"??? mmmm.....I've got a set of PowerBilt Scotch Blade forged, that really are simple, elegant, and scarily functional as well as beautiful. And not too far behind that is a set of Haig Ultra 66 model, as far as I've come across the most beautiful mussel back iron ever (tho the Wilson Staff Tour & FG 17 some might say).

You’re right, quite a few options so tough to pick one and we’d probably all be different. If you say you prefer blondes you still notice brunette’s right. These Palmer Standard Originals really do it for me after I found they existed. 
IMG_1790.jpeg.923cd20539b3960738ffab76084727a3.jpeg

Chrome Muirfield-ish looking to me. Something I definitely want and keeping my fingers crossed to find at $50-100 range someday but not holding my breath. See sets available online for $200-300 and if you were to have just one vintage set I would say it would be a good one to pick looks wise but why not have 4-6 sets for that kinda money. 

• Like 2

Anyone else have this problem with Golfwrx.

There may be multiple reactions/quotes re posts and when you click on them (on the 'time' element) it then dumps you in the middle of the thread.

It's one of the more irritating facets of the new Golfwrx. (well, I guess not so new, but you'ld be forgiven for thinking they would have sorted out these glitches by now!)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ezgoer said:

You’re right, quite a few options so tough to pick one and we’d probably all be different. If you say you prefer blondes you still notice brunette’s right. These Palmer Standard Originals really do it for me after I found they existed. 
IMG_1790.jpeg.923cd20539b3960738ffab76084727a3.jpeg

Chrome Muirfield-ish looking to me. Something I definitely want and keeping my fingers crossed to find at $50-100 range someday but not holding my breath. See sets available online for $200-300 and if you were to have just one vintage set I would say it would be a good one to pick looks wise but why not have 4-6 sets for that kinda money. 

to start...I prefer redheads 🥸

I checked Maltby's cuz I was pretty sure the Palmer Standard Original were made after Arnold Palmer got sold & eventually ended back in the Pro-Group corral. First Flight & Palmer Golf were great sellers for Pro-Group & after Pro-Group got Palmer back - First Flight & Palmer clubs were the same just w/name changes. Maltby's first describes this club in 1989. They are good looking. For awhile, First Flight & Palmer clubs were the same, just names were substituted. Looks like somewhere in the mid-'80s, First Flight name doesn't show & it all Palmer. I think there was a management change....

I have a set of the original Arnold Palmer Tru-Matics....I believe it's circa '65 

Edited by bcstones
  • Thanks 1