No new acquistions...?

1 hour ago, bcstones said:

so this set would be 2*flat....what exactly does that mean, if you don't mind?

Per golfclubspec.com, standard lie for the 5 iron is 60*, making 2* flat 58*.

• Thanks 1

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

1 hour ago, bcstones said:

what is the advantage or disadvantage of either 2* upright or 2* flat?

Its all about finding the proper fit.

I'm someone who needs the 2* up set, due to my physical dimensions.  I'm only slightly above average height for a male in the USA, but I have shorter than average arms.  The result is that I need that upright lie to have the club in proper position at impact.

Someone with the opposite problem, longer arms at average height,  or shorter than average height, might need the flatter lie for proper impact position.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Not having the proper lie for your stance/height/arm length can induce a draw or fade on every shot with your irons.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Srixon ZX5 Mk II LS 9.5 driver x-flex

Srixon ZX Mk II 3 & 7 wood stiff

Taylormade Stealth II 2 hybrid x-flex

Srixon ZX-7 4/5 irons stiff

Srixon Z-Forged II 6-PW stiff

Cleveland ZipCore RTX Tour Raw 52/56

TM Spider GT-X putter

XXIO premium bag on MGI Zip AT cart

Srixon Z-Star Diamond ball

4 hours ago, bcstones said:

so this set would be 2*flat....what exactly does that mean, if you don't mind?

2* flat means the lie angle is 2 degrees toe down from whatever the standard set value was.

Edit: Posted before reading all the replies... Promise I'm not trying to beat the same horse as everybody else!

Edited by AdamMH
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Not having the proper lie for your stance/height/arm length can induce a draw or fade on every shot with your irons.

in my "oldster" terms, you're talking of a potential for a "hook" or a "slice"....?

19 minutes ago, AdamMH said:

2* flat means the lie angle is 2 degrees toe down from whatever the standard set value was.

I have no idea what "average" height or arm length is or, come to think on it - was...since I'm the same height & arm length for the past close to 60 years: 5'8" & 31" arm length....

As far as I can figure a 2*upright would bring me closer to the ball & a 2*flat would mean I'd be a wee bit further from the ball....sounds like, to get used to a new set of clubs might mean practice, practice, practice for quite awhile & learning the excentricities on the course for a couple/3 years....or am I waaaay off course

Shaft length comes into play with lie angle.  2* upright also has you down the grip to get the bottom of the club flat on the ground.  2* flat has the toe digging in.  Or vice versa, I can't remember.  I let the club bender worry about that when I get them fit to me after purchase.  Which has to happen soon with these new Taylormades I got.

• Thanks 1

TM Spider GT-X putter

37 minutes ago, SnowbirdTom said:

Shaft length comes into play with lie angle.  2* upright also has you down the grip to get the bottom of the club flat on the ground.  2* flat has the toe digging in.

Just checked it out w/ 7 irons - 845s vs Edge Forged ('87 vs '88)....the shafts are basically the same length, the shaft for the 845 seems just a wee bit lower (<1/8" or so) than the Edge...with the sole flat on the surface. Don't see that that would make much difference after practicing & learning...
Besides, the last Pro who helped me said I was standing too far from the ball...so perhaps I've been "flat" all my golf life 🤣

Edited by bcstones

3 hours ago, bcstones said:

in my "oldster" terms, you're talking of a potential for a "hook" or a "slice"....?

I have no idea what "average" height or arm length is or, come to think on it - was...since I'm the same height & arm length for the past close to 60 years: 5'8" & 31" arm length....

As far as I can figure a 2*upright would bring me closer to the ball & a 2*flat would mean I'd be a wee bit further from the ball....sounds like, to get used to a new set of clubs might mean practice, practice, practice for quite awhile & learning the excentricities on the course for a couple/3 years....or am I waaaay off course

Is 31" your WTF measurement?  It's relevant information to determine one's WTF (wrist to floor) length.  Knowing this number, combined with your height gives one a static starting point for appropriate club head lie angles.  This is the premise used with the Ping color code chart for static fitting.  Puts one "in the neighborhood" of appropriateness.  Stand erect in your regular golf shoes and have someone measure from your wrist crease to the floor.  

All irons are manufactured to a "standard" spec for length and lie angles.  It becomes relevant as one deviates from that norm in club length and how one delivers the head at impact.  Everyone has a preferred lie angle based on stature AND how one swings the club (more vertical vs. shallow).  How one swings the club thus becomes part of the dynamic lie fitting process.  Lie boards are barely OK for this, Sharpie marks on a ball hit off turf is better.  Two people can have exactly the same statures, but differing lies do to address posture and how they swing the club.  

In general, irons to upright will have a left pull tendency.  To flat, a right push.  All other factors remaining equal.  One can also look at divots for digging tendencies.  Deeper on the toe side indicates to upright, heel side to flat.  Observe these tendencies as you go about playing or range time.  

There is a relationship between changes in club length and its affect on standard lie.  Called effective lie angles.  Based on right angle trigonometry.  The ratio:  .5" △ length = 1* △ in effective lie angle.  As long as one does not change the playing length from "standard", this is a moot point.  Likely too much information, nevertheless.  

Based on your stated stature and assuming 31" WTF, checked the Ping chart and you're standard length 2* (orange dot) flat.  I contend, that the average recreational golfer (me) is not going to notice much of a consistent directional difference with irons that are +/-  ~1* lie angle off optimum.  Heck, I deliver the clubhead by a variance greater than that with any given swing.  My M.O. is to bend them if I need to after several rounds of play and observing how the ball flies.  

FWIW.  I'm 6'2" and have a 38.5" WTF.  I play irons at +1" and 1.5* up.  The PIng chart has me at 3* up.  I've been working on flattening out my swing plane for awhile (tendency to be OTT vertical) and the flatter lie seems to be more directionally consistent.  At least to the point of having an equal opportunity miss L or R.  Swing things never become fully ingrained.  I play my wedges (54* & 58*) OK so never have gotten around to having them adjusted from standard lie.  Don't mess with what is working.

Confused?  Don't be.  Don't overthink this lie angle business.  Play what you got.  The 845's are 2* flat?  Most peeps adapt.  Absolute preciseness not required.  YMMV.  

Another FWIW.  BITD, TA 845's were the first brand new irons I ever bought.  Back when I decided to get somewhat serious about learning how to play golf.  Remember demoing them against Eye 2's and I preferred the 845's.  Hit them better.  Plus they were a couple hundred bucks cheaper IIRC.  Played them for about 5 years before moving on.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

42 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

In general, irons to flat will have a left pull tendency.  To upright, a right push.

For a LH golfer, that would be true.  It's opposite for RH.

47 minutes ago, Fellaheen51 said:

Is 31" your WTF measurement?  It's relevant information to determine one's WTF (wrist to floor) length.  Knowing this number, combined with your height gives one a static starting point for appropriate club head lie angles.  This is the premise used with the Ping color code chart for static fitting.  Puts one "in the neighborhood" of appropriateness.  Stand erect in your regular golf shoes and have someone measure from your wrist crease to the floor.

Thank you....I forgot about WTF being wrist to floor....31" is my sleeve length & just did the WTF thingie & it's ~30" Me being in sandlals, since the sole of my golf shoes disintigrated a while back.
btw...it the Ping chart/colored dot system the original or the newer one (or have they changed it again)?

I gotta ask you - YMMV (?) FWIW (?) BITD (?)      WTF & I don't mean - wrist to floor 🤣😂😂

Edited by bcstones

6 minutes ago, bcstones said:

Thank you....I forgot about WTF being wrist to floor....31" is my sleeve length & just did the WTF thingie & it's ~30" Me being in sandlals, since the sole of my golf shoes disintigrated a while back.
btw...it the Ping chart/colored dot system the original or the newer one (or have they changed it again)?

I gotta ask you - YMMV (?) FWIW (?) BITD (?)      WTF & I don't mean - wrist to floor 🤣😂😂

YMMV is your mileage may vary

FWIW is for what it's worth

Guessing that BITD is back in the day

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

For a LH golfer, that would be true.  It's opposite for RH.

Thanks!  I looked up this point just to verify what I was going to lay down.  And still screwed it up.  Oy Vey! 

BC:  New Ping chart.  The one with 1* increments vs .75* prior.  

Sorry about the abbreviations.  An internets convenience thing while chattering.  “WTF does that suppose to mean?”

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

8 hours ago, bcstones said:

Per the Ping chart, my starting point is also orange.  It was staggering how well I hit the orange dot Eye 2 +/ no+ irons right away. Straight, high and true. Took me 9 holes to get comfy with them shooting mid 40s, then the back 9 was a 37.  Seriously considered selling the new stuff and just playing the Pings.   Hell, I still should. Makes the game too easy, I guess.  😂

• Like 3

TM Spider GT-X putter

As a tall person, normal lie stuff really shows itself on not soft mat. I dig the toe in hard if its not upright and bottom groove it. My strike got way way better on my wedges when I matched them all to my irons. 

• Like 2

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW , Wilson X31's 1970 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

🤩 This space reserved for long awaited pictures in a couple weeks.  😁

TM Spider GT-X putter

Love those wedges! 

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 , Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW , Wilson X31's 1970 2 to PW , Hogan Redline's 1988  4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  ,  Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  Wilson Sandy Andy (57 degrees)

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball:  high number Pro V1's

9 hours ago, ezgoer said:

Picked up some Wilson reproduction coolness!! Saw the wedges on eBay and had to have them. Not thrift store prices but not a fortune either. With the shaft and GP/Wilson grips and loft/grind on them I’m guessing one of the last repro batches whatever year that would have been. Unsure if they are forged or cast. In my research I’m now realizing how many wedges aren’t forged (my Vokey SM6’s they are replacing for instance) so I no longer care. Hopefully they play as cool as they look. Feel similar to Vokey’s, maybe a touch heavier but no where near the weight of my 63 dual or 69 SW. 

IMG_2265.jpeg.a69b04984a920afff91e6ed65a412e70.jpegIMG_2266.jpeg.93ac458082435915f17dffb36d4821bc.jpegIMG_2267.jpeg.9161d5d92a75a8b6e92d9a516950b4a5.jpeg

in nice shape. Grooves great, chrome a little cloudy from being older but once I get my bench grinder converted to polish wheels they should look damn near new. Bit of offset also compared to SM6. Initial thought is weird looking but they set up really nicely. 
IMG_2268.jpeg.0b0bc3f2ed579294240efe52b06888be.jpegIMG_2269.jpeg.c99230ce4e7d6cdf84d1847795b067ae.jpeg
 This putter showed up on my FBM. Made an offer and got it for a price I can easily get out of it for if I don’t like it. Absolute fraction of the price of the current milled 8802. Literally just got my hands on it so can’t wait to spec it out on a scale in comparison to my 80’s 8802 with silver/black labeled Head Speed shaft. Feels significantly heavier. Reading up on them they came out in 2010. Honoring the traditional 8802 but it came in a 88 series of 5 different putter designs. Hence all the 8’s in the name. 
IMG_2274.jpeg.4d4fcd65016249204cb726d7bbe5af39.jpegIMG_2272.jpeg.8434201700511511e68eaf659474492f.jpegIMG_2273.jpeg.5eaca1568a553f9e61405183dba25fc5.jpegIMG_2275.jpeg.9ff2df4d7be0016d262672d57638007b.jpeg

These 3 clubs really made an appropriate bottom end for my modern bag for when I’m not playing something 50’s-80’s vintage. Early Christmas presents for myself. 
IMG_2271.jpeg.0a519441ac95f4ef07ab1e89c5dbae0a.jpeg

beautiful wedges, I got a strong optical illusion by looking at the face milling of the 8882 then glancing down at the face of the 8802, it temporally superimposed the milling onto the 8802 face. Interesting would recommend testing it out.

17 hours ago, ezgoer said:

Picked up some Wilson reproduction coolness!! Saw the wedges on eBay and had to have them. Not thrift store prices but not a fortune either. With the shaft and GP/Wilson grips and loft/grind on them I’m guessing one of the last repro batches whatever year that would have been. Unsure if they are forged or cast. In my research I’m now realizing how many wedges aren’t forged (my Vokey SM6’s they are replacing for instance) so I no longer care. Hopefully they play as cool as they look. Feel similar to Vokey’s, maybe a touch heavier but no where near the weight of my 63 dual or 69 SW. 

IMG_2265.jpeg.a69b04984a920afff91e6ed65a412e70.jpegIMG_2266.jpeg.93ac458082435915f17dffb36d4821bc.jpegIMG_2267.jpeg.9161d5d92a75a8b6e92d9a516950b4a5.jpeg

in nice shape. Grooves great, chrome a little cloudy from being older but once I get my bench grinder converted to polish wheels they should look damn near new. Bit of offset also compared to SM6. Initial thought is weird looking but they set up really nicely. 
IMG_2268.jpeg.0b0bc3f2ed579294240efe52b06888be.jpegIMG_2269.jpeg.c99230ce4e7d6cdf84d1847795b067ae.jpeg
 This putter showed up on my FBM. Made an offer and got it for a price I can easily get out of it for if I don’t like it. Absolute fraction of the price of the current milled 8802. Literally just got my hands on it so can’t wait to spec it out on a scale in comparison to my 80’s 8802 with silver/black labeled Head Speed shaft. Feels significantly heavier. Reading up on them they came out in 2010. Honoring the traditional 8802 but it came in a 88 series of 5 different putter designs. Hence all the 8’s in the name. 
IMG_2274.jpeg.4d4fcd65016249204cb726d7bbe5af39.jpegIMG_2272.jpeg.8434201700511511e68eaf659474492f.jpegIMG_2273.jpeg.5eaca1568a553f9e61405183dba25fc5.jpegIMG_2275.jpeg.9ff2df4d7be0016d262672d57638007b.jpeg

These 3 clubs really made an appropriate bottom end for my modern bag for when I’m not playing something 50’s-80’s vintage. Early Christmas presents for myself. 
IMG_2271.jpeg.0a519441ac95f4ef07ab1e89c5dbae0a.jpeg

Those Wilson wedges are cast stainless (not that there's anything wrong with that!) and are not chrome plated.  An easy refurbish or you could just leave them alone as they look good as they are.

I used to want to refurbish everything I acquired but these days I tend to leave stuff alone except for cleaning and regripping.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

This is the closest set of clubs I found that were close to my first set (H&B Grand Slam Mars 70) - H&B Atlas SS, steel shafts with "Grand Slam Atlas stainless steel" shaft bands...2 thru 9 irons. Not exactly sure of age, but there was a time in the '50s, maybe even into the '60s (there are pics of back similar to the one shown here), where H&B used names from Greek Deity/history (I have a H&B Grand Slam Troy 5 iron). I wonder if there were more Greek historic names - perhaps Hera or Helen or....for a Woman's set....

h&bA#1.jpg

h&bA#2.jpg

Edited by bcstones
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wilson Walker Cup stuff on the way.  Not retail, but not thrift store either. Be here in ~7-8 days. I know, not the same vintage type, but they’ll be fun to hit.

IMG_0072.jpeg.1fe6728ddb4215b51f1d92df2e362ddf.jpegIMG_0071.jpeg.8b39c443ca8f343cf65580dbce538164.jpegIMG_0070.jpeg.62aee47746a0e8b537f4bdc919f74730.jpeg

• Like 3

TM Spider GT-X putter