I'm Club Champion

wmathias

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1411181419' post='10151175']
Ryan,
Which of your survey choices for difficult shots was in the bag? :)
[/quote]

That would be the Tai Damascus necked 612. It added at least 17 more yards to my putts.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1411181518' post='10151183']
[quote name='Mitchell' timestamp='1411181419' post='10151175']
Ryan,
Which of your survey choices for difficult shots was in the bag? :)
[/quote]

That would be the Tai Damascus necked 612. It added at least 17 more yards to my putts.
[/quote]

17 yards of pure domination!

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1411237238' post='10153371']

17 yards of [u][b]P[b]u[/b]re[/b][/u] domination!
[/quote]

no pun intended ;) LOL!

PING G425 LST 9* | Kuro KageΒ TiNi DC 60Β X
Taylormade M2 15* | RIP Beta 70 X

Callaway XHP 21* | RIPΒ Alpha 90 X
*** Irons: OPEN ***Β 

Cleveland RTX 4 52/56* (mid) | DGS400
Titleist Vokey SM8 60*K | DGS400
Scotty Cameron Special Select FB 5.5 35"

Pure916 domination... Well at least I was dominating for 3/4 of the tournament. Tried hard to loose it at the end and basically stumbled to a win. That's the pure916 style.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Congrats.

I haev no chance to win mine as there are too many ex Div 1 players and even a few former Pro's in my club. You need to shoot under par each day for three days to have a sniff. Maybe when I am senior I will have a chance.

I missed out on a playoff in this weekends club championship.

I shot 72-72, the two guys who made the playoff went 72-69 and 69-72. The guy who fired a 65 on Saturday had a tough go around today shooting something in the high 70's or low 80's.

I couldnt putt all weekend. I golfed with the guy who ended up winning on Sunday and hit it better than him all day, but he made the putts, got up and down when he needed to and clutched up when the chips were down.

I forgot what it felt like to be nervous though, LOL. I figured I had no shot being 7 back to start the day and decided to try and fire at every pin and go low early. It didnt work out and I quickly 3 putted the first two holes to get behind the eight ball.

All in all, a good learning experience at my new club.

It's funny how much more nervous I get during the club championship. All the other tour aments at most just give me a little nerves on the first hole and maybe the second tee shot. The CC is nuts the whole way through for the most part except after a birdie. It's exhausting to care that much.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys

My brother won the junior one couple weeks ago !

He was 4 behind for half of sunday then catched up to 3 behind at 11th and 2 behind at the 17th hole.

So everything plays out at the 18th hole, which is a long par 4 (430 yards) with out of bounds right. My brother shot in the middle of the fairway but was still 210 yards away, while his opponent shot out of bounds. His second tee off was great though, about 50 yards ahead of my brother. So at this point they were even score. My brother then fats it and comes up way short, 50 yards short. The opponent landed on the green, about 30 feet from the hole. My brother had to go up and down from 50 yards to even have a chance of having playoffs. He did it perfectly and llanded less than 1 feet away from the hole for an easy tap in for par. His opponent proceeded to 3 putt for triple bogey and lost by 1 stroke.

Never forget this guys, it's not over until the end. You can always pull off some miracle shots or your opponent can make big mistakes, in this case both happened :)

[quote name='wmathias' timestamp='1410718418' post='10115905']
[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1410718042' post='10115869']
[quote name='wmathias' timestamp='1410716290' post='10115749']
Golf has so much luck inherent to the game, but we never allow for it in deciding who is a 'Winner'.
[/quote]Luck is nothing more than the intersection point of preparation and performance-

The poor and mediocre do not get lucky with the outcome hanging in the balance :)

Have a great week :)

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]

Many Thanks Richard :)

I couldn't say I'm a better golfer tha[size=4]n I was 4 years ago (though my short game has improved, my long game is a little worse if I'm honest). [/size]

[size=4]TBH I'm getting on a bit (44) and this was probably getting towards my last chance, so I'm doubly happy.[/size]

[size=4]Good luck to all those who've [/size][size=3]come close and failed, You can win!![/size]
[/quote]LMAO, Dude, you're not even close to your "last chance........"

Unless YOU accept that mentality.

Seriously, you're nowhere close to your last chance physically. Now mentally? That's up to you, though the fact that you kept driving after so many near misses tells me that #1, you have the mental strength to persevere and overcome obstacles, the toughest of which are the mental obstacles that most would have in place after your experiences and #2, having won the Championship, you are in a very select group that knows, ABSOLUTELY, what it takes and what it feels like to "get it done." That is priceless in a tight match and I'll take that every day over youth.

You've got another decade, at least, to challenge and be competitive, if you're "right" mentally.

Trust me here, lol.

It may mean that ya have to work a little harder, hit a few more balls and practice a little longer, however, just think back to that feeling that ya had on the 18th when they planted the pin and you looked around and YOU were the Champion.

Remember that feeling.

And draw on it and visualize it when you are tired, have doubt, don't feel like hitting any more balls or are walking down the fairway with some young hot shot who's never won s** ;).

Visualize it-

It's the second greatest feeling you'll probably ever have, lol.

Oh, and BTW, you never came close to failing!

Losing?

Yea, we all do, and if you play any amount of tourneys, you're going to "lose" many more than ya win.

But Failing?

Failures don't win crystal & silver :)

Well, have a nice autumn My Friend :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

[quote name='wmathias' timestamp='1410714341' post='10115649']
I'm soooooooo happy!!!

After coming second 3 times in a row, I've finally won my Club championship by 1 shot!!!

I've lost the last three years:

by 1 shot. 2011, my playing partner holed an 8 iron and won by 1, whilst i was stuck in a hole with a 3 shot lead with 5 to play :(
by 1 shot 2012, came back from 5 down with 9 to play, only to loose by one, my 4 to his 5 on the final green :(
by 5 shots 2013. The guy outplayed me on day one and deserved to win hands down

2014: 4 shot lead on hole 28 with 8 to play. hit a great shot, wind stops and i go out of bounds long, to reload with one less, wind picks up again and I'm plugged in the front bunker for a 7 :(, three putt the next and my lead is gone. Feeling terrible

Shanked my second on 14 (I never shank it), feel suicidal now.

But come 17, guy in joint 1st hit it on the green, but with a tricky putt.;l I top it!!! but good chip to 12 foot and hole the putt whilst he three putts. I pushed the final tee shot, hit a 9 iron left but it catches the bunker lip and goes onto the green and I hole the 3 footer to win by 1.

I may never enter a competition again, because the whole experience has been so harrowing :)

But:

[size=3]To all you nice guys who finish second. IT CAN HAPPEN!!!!![/size]
[/quote]

Your choke choked! :taunt:[size=4] [/size]

[size=4]Congratulations.[/size]

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

[quote name='wmathias' timestamp='1410714341' post='10115649']
I'm soooooooo happy!!!

After coming second 3 times in a row, I've finally won my Club championship by 1 shot!!!

I've lost the last three years:

by 1 shot. 2011, my playing partner holed an 8 iron and won by 1, whilst i was stuck in a hole with a 3 shot lead with 5 to play :(
by 1 shot 2012, came back from 5 down with 9 to play, only to loose by one, my 4 to his 5 on the final green :(
by 5 shots 2013. The guy outplayed me on day one and deserved to win hands down

2014: 4 shot lead on hole 28 with 8 to play. hit a great shot, wind stops and i go out of bounds long, to reload with one less, wind picks up again and I'm plugged in the front bunker for a 7 :(, three putt the next and my lead is gone. Feeling terrible

Shanked my second on 14 (I never shank it), feel suicidal now.

But come 17, guy in joint 1st hit it on the green, but with a tricky putt.;l I top it!!! but good chip to 12 foot and hole the putt whilst he three putts. I pushed the final tee shot, hit a 9 iron left but it catches the bunker lip and goes onto the green and I hole the 3 footer to win by 1.

I may never enter a competition again, because the whole experience has been so harrowing :)

But:

[size=3]To all you nice guys who finish second. IT CAN HAPPEN!!!!![/size]
[/quote]

Congrats, and remember. For it to be harrowing is why we compete.

Steve

[quote name='Obee' timestamp='1410927956' post='10130323']
Well done!!

Our is this weekend. Two rounds of stroke play and cut to the low 8 that advance to match play the following weekend.
[/quote]

How did you do?

Bridgestone J33R speeder 652X
Titleist 910f 15 diamana kai'li s
Ping G30 5 wood S tour spec
Ping G30 7 wood S tour spec
Mizuno MP 37 s300 P-3
Wishon 575 mmc cavity P-4 Aerotech I95 moi'd
Callaway Mac Daddy 2 tg 54Β° 60Β°
Scotty Cameron black studio design I 2001 (stolen haven't found replacement)

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1411582731' post='10176277']
[quote name='wmathias' timestamp='1410718418' post='10115905']
[quote name='Forged4ever' timestamp='1410718042' post='10115869']
[quote name='wmathias' timestamp='1410716290' post='10115749']
Golf has so much luck inherent to the game, but we never allow for it in deciding who is a 'Winner'.
[/quote]Luck is nothing more than the intersection point of preparation and performance-

The poor and mediocre do not get lucky with the outcome hanging in the balance :)

Have a great week :)

My Best,
Richard
[/quote]

Many Thanks Richard :)

I couldn't say I'm a better golfer tha[size=4]n I was 4 years ago (though my short game has improved, my long game is a little worse if I'm honest). [/size]

[size=4]TBH I'm getting on a bit (44) and this was probably getting towards my last chance, so I'm doubly happy.[/size]

[size=4]Good luck to all those who've [/size][size=3]come close and failed, You can win!![/size]
[/quote]LMAO, Dude, you're not even close to your "last chance........"

Unless YOU accept that mentality.

Seriously, you're nowhere close to your last chance physically. Now mentally? That's up to you, though the fact that you kept driving after so many near misses tells me that #1, you have the mental strength to persevere and overcome obstacles, the toughest of which are the mental obstacles that most would have in place after your experiences and #2, having won the Championship, you are in a very select group that knows, ABSOLUTELY, what it takes and what it feels like to "get it done." That is priceless in a tight match and I'll take that every day over youth.

You've got another decade, at least, to challenge and be competitive, if you're "right" mentally.

Trust me here, lol.

It may mean that ya have to work a little harder, hit a few more balls and practice a little longer, however, just think back to that feeling that ya had on the 18th when they planted the pin and you looked around and YOU were the Champion.

Remember that feeling.

And draw on it and visualize it when you are tired, have doubt, don't feel like hitting any more balls or are walking down the fairway with some young hot shot who's never won s** ;).

Visualize it-

It's the second greatest feeling you'll probably ever have, lol.

Oh, and BTW, you never came close to failing!

Losing?

Yea, we all do, and if you play any amount of tourneys, you're going to "lose" many more than ya win.

But Failing?

Failures don't win crystal & silver :)

Well, have a nice autumn My Friend :)

Golfingly Yours,
Richard
[/quote]

Thank you so much Richard!

You just don't get this kind of stuff in virtually every other sport.

Congrats! Wish I could say the same, but I fell just short this year. First year I have competed, playing against a field of more experienced players but not necessarily better! Match Play is the format and I ended up playing the winner from a few years ago (He has won twice before this year). Playing really well...I'm not a long hitter, but I am consistent and will chip and putt you to death. He on the other hand used to be a rep for Taylormade and can smash the ball. Really good stick! Ended up winning first two holes and turning at all square. All square from 12 thru 17 and then I screw up my last drive...right into a fairway bunker. Get to my ball and my stance is outside the bunker above the ball, and I need to hit it over a group of trees to lay up about 120 yds back on a par 5. Hit a low runner that doesn't get out of the trees. Try to hook one as he is on in three, but I couldn't do it. Left with a 15 footer to push and go to extras that I misread and miss high. Good match, ready for next year...