All Things Michigan Golf....the Mulligan (MOD EDIT: NO POLITICS, NO COVID-19, NO ECONOMICS)

Openwater22

1PT, if ur doing mid August, good chance the cottages at Loch will be finished. I'll be in TC today, can swing into Loch and get an update if you're interested.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

Charting out my 2019 golf plans for Michigan and looking for some input. Home course is U-M Blue and already on the schedule are rounds at Forest Dunes and Arcadia Bluffs. Looking for some other ideas on courses I should check out.

I have knocked out this list with the exception of Stoatin Brae and Belvedere: https://www.golfdigest.com/story/the-9-michigan-courses-you-should-play-at-least-once

So I guess my question is what courses top your "next best" list after the heavy hitters. I am hoping to check out Stoatin Brae and Harbor Shores but am looking to fill out the schedule with some other courses I haven't explored yet. Whats on your list?

Charting out my 2019 golf plans for Michigan and looking for some input. Home course is U-M Blue and already on the schedule are rounds at Forest Dunes and Arcadia Bluffs. Looking for some other ideas on courses I should check out.

I have knocked out this list with the exception of Stoatin Brae and Belvedere: https://www.golfdige...y-at-least-once

So I guess my question is what courses top your "next best" list after the heavy hitters. I am hoping to check out Stoatin Brae and Harbor Shores but am looking to fill out the schedule with some other courses I haven't explored yet. Whats on your list?

If you get around to Harbor Shores, plan in advance to also try to play Point O' Woods, out in the country of rural Benton Harbor. It was private when I lived there, and think that it still it.

Was home to the Western Amateur for many, many years, and is an excellent "old school" course. Was always rated in the top 100, before the golf course construction boom started, and personally, I think that it should still be considered top 100.

Pretty sure that if you have private club membership yourself, a call from your pro could arrange a round, or....find a member who might do this for you, in return for reciprocation.

if your gonna play Arcadia you should check out their new S.course.

Agreed, along with the Loop if you’re going to Forest Dunes. The original Arcadia course has the views, obviously, but for me the South Course was a more enjoyable round of golf. Same goes for the Loop at FD, and I didn’t even get a chance to play it in both directions. I would assume my opinions regarding both courses being better than their older siblings is not one shared by many, but unless all you care about is good views and name recognition you’d be doing yourself a disservice by skipping either.

Callaway Epic Speed TD LS 9* Fujikura Ventus Blue 6x
Callaway Epic Flash 15* and 21* ACCRA CS1 70 M5
Adams Super 9031 23* Nunchuk Xi
Newl Level 902 Forged 5-P Nippon Modus 125X
Cleveland RTX4 50 and New Level M-Type 54, 58 Nippon Modus 125
Byron Morgan 612
Shapland stand bag or PING Moonlite
Snell MTB X

Agreed, along with the Loop if you’re going to Forest Dunes. The original Arcadia course has the views, obviously, but for me the South Course was a more enjoyable round of golf. Same goes for the Loop at FD, and I didn’t even get a chance to play it in both directions. I would assume my opinions regarding both courses being better than their older siblings is not one shared by many, but unless all you care about is good views and name recognition you’d be doing yourself a disservice by skipping either.

Sorry. Should have been clearer. I've got both courses booked at both of those resorts (Arcadia and Forest Dunes) and have been on them already. Just too good not to go back every year to those venues.

I would split the difference with you. Bluffs over South, but Loop over Weiskopf. Although, the closing four on the Weiskopf course rivals anything else out there in my opinion.

Anyone pick up some new stuff at the end of the year? I switched from a multitude of different 52* wedges to an AP2 50* as my gap wedge and liked it a lot the last few rounds I got in. Looking to pick up Bettis new arm lock for the hell of it and most likely the new Ping in the spring. Anyone looking for a deal on a G400 LST?

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Sorry. Should have been clearer. I've got both courses booked at both of those resorts (Arcadia and Forest Dunes) and have been on them already. Just too good not to go back every year to those venues.

I would split the difference with you. Bluffs over South, but Loop over Weiskopf. Although, the closing four on the Weiskopf course rivals anything else out there in my opinion.

they are in the second tier but a couple the come to mind not on that list all over the state: Black Lake, Eagle Eye, Lochenheath, and Pilgrims Run

they are in the second tier but a couple the come to mind not on that list all over the state: Black Lake, Eagle Eye, Lochenheath, and Pilgrims Run

Love Black Lake. Eagle Eye is a good track, I would just rather pay up a tad and get to the top tier places if pushed. For some reason, I always assumed Lochenheath was totally private, will try to add that one on to my trip up to Arcadia. Thanks!

TUT,

Lochenheath cottages should be completed June 1st. Make a good home base for your trip, albeit, pricier than GTR or Sundance. Close to some decent food and beverage options without navigating the TC proper traffic. Let me know if I can help.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

Anyone pick up some new stuff at the end of the year? I switched from a multitude of different 52* wedges to an AP2 50* as my gap wedge and liked it a lot the last few rounds I got in. Looking to pick up Bettis new arm lock for the hell of it and most likely the new Ping in the spring. Anyone looking for a deal on a G400 LST?

Ive picked up quite a few things lately:

Z785 irons

ZU85 4 iron

RTX4 56* and 60*

Also have a couple Scratch wedges coming.

I guess this is what happens when you don't buy anything all summer. Hell I didn't even have a set of irons all summer. I played with a "borrowed" set of Epons that were awesome.

Ping G425 10.5 Graphite Design Tour AD-TP 65x
Ping G425 5 and 7 woods with Aldila Rogue 80s
Ping G525 4 iron Project X LZ 6.5
Ping i210 5-PW Project X LZ 6.5
Ping Glide 3 50 DG S400

Vokey 54s and 58m with DG S400
Artisan Golf 0217 

Grabbed a Byron B-17 putter toward the end of the year, which I've been able to get out about a half dozen times. I'm liking it so far, but you know me and putters. Also picked up a TEE CBX 17* driving iron with HZRDUS Black 6.5. I only played with it once, and haven't hit it otherwise. Something like a half dozen swings total. Feels good, and seems really long, but the shaft may not be the best fit, though I need to give it an actual chance before I make a real judgement.

I'm definitely looking forward to trying the Epic Flash when it becomes available, and probably the new Ping driver. Other than the second of two rounds I played in Arizona last week when I got a little sideways, I had been smashing my Epic SZ lately, but the reports of big ball speed gains from the Flash have me intrigued.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Got another 18 in today. New personal record for how late I've played in the calendar year

It would be impossible for me to top my record, as I played on 12/31 once. I think my record for earliest round of the year is 1/3, so still room to improve there. I stopped in at Carl's in Plymouth to pick up a couple of small gifts yesterday, and it looked like St. Johns was open, and they had carts out, which was kind of surprising. I don't usually think of that as being one of the courses that is open late/early in the year for the real diehards.

Ping G430 LST 9* (set to 7.5*), 45", Fujikura Ventus TR Black 6x
Ping G430 LST 14.5* (set to 13*) Fujikura Ventus Black 7x
Ping G430 Max 18* (set to 17*) Fujikura Ventus Black 8x or Tour Edge CBX Iron-Wood 17* (Black Pearl) Fujikura Ventus HB Blue 9x
Epon AF-306 4i + Epon AF-Tour CB2 5-PW, Nippon Modus 125X
Yururi Seida Black 52*, Nippon Modus 125/Titleist Vokey SM8 58* K-Grind & 62* M-Grind DG S200
Byron Morgan long pipe neck B-17, Brushed Mystic finish, 34" or Byron Morgan long pipe neck beached 007x

Ive picked up quite a few things lately:

Z785 irons

ZU85 4 iron

RTX4 56* and 60*

Also have a couple Scratch wedges coming.

I guess this is what happens when you don't buy anything all summer. Hell I didn't even have a set of irons all summer. I played with a "borrowed" set of Epons that were awesome.

Nice, let me know how that srixon 4 iron goes. I plan on meeting up with AW at club champion this spring and doing some work on that spot in my bag, I carried two hybrids instead all last year.

Got another 18 in today. New personal record for how late I've played in the calendar year ������

It would be impossible for me to top my record, as I played on 12/31 once. I think my record for earliest round of the year is 1/3, so still room to improve there. I stopped in at Carl's in Plymouth to pick up a couple of small gifts yesterday, and it looked like St. Johns was open, and they had carts out, which was kind of surprising. I don't usually think of that as being one of the courses that is open late/early in the year for the real diehards.

We were open Sunday and again yesterday/today, got a few holes in yesterday.

I have knocked out this list with the exception of Stoatin Brae and Belvedere: https://www.golfdige...y-at-least-once

To other ones that are less expensive but just jewels and must plays in Michigan are Cedar Creek at Shanty Creek and the UAW Course in Onaway MI..... just two great Crenshaw courses... I live in the middle of Michigan and be glad to help with any other questions.... FYI all my buddies and I are single digit and LOVE this freaking game, but after one time ar Arcadia we will never return.... The greens are an absolute joke with the possibility of 3 to 4 putting many if your chips, approaches and lag putts aren't stellar

To other ones that are less expensive but just jewels and must plays in Michigan are Cedar Creek at Shanty Creek and the UAW Course in Onaway MI..... just two great Crenshaw courses... I live in the middle of Michigan and be glad to help with any other questions.... FYI all my buddies and I are single digit and LOVE this freaking game, but after one time ar Arcadia we will never return.... The greens are an absolute joke with the possibility of 3 to 4 putting many if your chips, approaches and lag putts aren't stellar

Crenshaw? Weiskopf did Cedar River and Rees Jones did Black Lake.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

Epic Flash 10.5* with Tensei Pro Blue 60 S on order. Cally did demo day last week, on trackman my 95 SS was producing 240/245 carry and 260 plus total. This was outside at sea level, 75*, and maybe into 10 mph breeze.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

I can’t wait to get my hands on the Epic Flash. Lots of hype. Probably getting. new driver this year to replace the G.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

How did the standard head compare to the subzero?

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

Didn't bother with Sub Zero, not enough SS to generate enough spin to keep it in the air. Regular flash spinning between 2100/2450

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S

Got another 18 in today. New personal record for how late I've played in the calendar year ������

We were open Sunday and again yesterday/today, got a few holes in yesterday.

I've been slumming it at some real low end tracks to make this happen lol. I'm pretty sure I'm throwing away the shoes I wore yesterday.

Bucks Run is a pretty solid track that has not been mentioned. You will not regret adding Lochenheath.

Looking at Diamond Springs next season, keep reading incredible things about it. 2019 will be a big Michigan golf year for me. I really enjoyed Pilgrims Run this year and Stoatin. I’ll be a national member at Lost Dunes. I want to get to Arcadia South and hopefully Crystal Downs!

2023 bag

myTaylormade Stealth 2 Plus custom 10.5 BGT Brava X Stiff tipped 1”
Taylormade Stealth 2 Tour issue 17.8 deg 5 wood Brava X Stiff FW
Titleist TSR3 4hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Titleist TSR3 5hy Graphite Design HY 90X

Miura CB-302 5,6,7 Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura MC502 8,9,pw Fujikura Axiom 105 Stiff

Miura HB 50 deg S400 tour issue

Miura K2.0 54/58 S400 tour Taylormade Spider GT 33.5” short slant

Bridgestone Tour B RX

Looking at Diamond Springs next season, keep reading incredible things about it. 2019 will be a big Michigan golf year for me. I really enjoyed Pilgrims Run this year and Stoatin. I’ll be a national member at Lost Dunes. I want to get to Arcadia South and hopefully Crystal Downs!

Congrats on Lost Dunes, one of my favorite places. Arcadia South is on my 2019 list as well. So pick some dates and we'll hit all 3.

M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S