The Oven: GolfWRX's Nike Vapor Driver Experience (trip recap and reviews on page 1!)

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1413514245' post='10303151']

Rory's driver he used at the Ryder Cup was pulled from a box full of stock product. There is no such this as "Tour Issue". No pixie dust. No special testing. What you buy at retail is what professionals are using on tour.
[/quote]

When did this tour issue policy start?

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='ws6' timestamp='1413554808' post='10304623']

Rory's driver he used at the Ryder Cup was pulled from a box full of stock product. There is no such this as "Tour Issue". No pixie dust. No special testing. What you buy at retail is what professionals are using on tour.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yea and what about the covert performance fairways that were way different than stock and I believe Rory still games the 5wood in that model so maybe it's something Nike is trying to do going forward?

Titleist 917D2 10.5˚ - GD Tour AD TP-6
Titleist 915F 15˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70
Titleist 915F 18˚ - Kuro Kage Silver TiNi 70
Titleist 816H1 21˚ - GD Tour AD HY 85
Nike VRS Forged 5-PW - Project X PXi
Vokey SM6 Raw 50F, 55S, 60V
Scotty Cameron 009 SSS

[quote name='pr1mo990' timestamp='1413555885' post='10304683'][quote name='ws6' timestamp='1413554808' post='10304623']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yea and what about the covert performance fairways that were way different than stock and I believe Rory still games the 5wood in that model so maybe it's something Nike is trying to do going forward?[/quote]

I believe Rory's 5 wood is the same technology as his current 3 wood - which is the current covert performance 2.0. The 5 wood just has the covert 1.0 paint scheme.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Titleist TSR2 10.0: Ventus Blue 6X
Titleist TSR2 4-16.5: Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 5-19.5: MRC Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
Titleist T200 4: DG AMT X100
Titleist T100 5-PW: DG AMT X100
Titleist SM8 50, 54, 60: DG Tour Issue S400
Odyssey Ai Jailbird Mini DB 34" 

Grips Lamkin Full Cord; logo down 

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1413553379' post='10304533']
They measure to the TOP (not the highest point or bulge - the transition - easy to show hard to communicate) of the grip not the mark at the top of the grip hence the 1/4" addition in length over last year even though they are the exact same length.

Boarding now :).
[/quote]

I hear what you're saying, but Titleist also measures from the ground to the edge of the top of the grip. (not the bulge but the very edge of the top of the grip, past the paint line) and gets 37.00" Nike gets 37.25" for the same 7 iron. I can't figure out how they are getting the extra 1/4". I know it seems insignificant to some, but as a taller player, I play +1/4" to +1/2". It saves me from ordering if they are over (which some are saying they are not.)

Again - why is Nikegolf.com just [i]now[/i] increasing their listed specs by 1/4" if they are no different than last year? I pulled every iron spec for the last several years from their cached Nikegolf.com website and they are all a quarter inch SHORTER than the 2015 nike irons about to be released.

I use Titleist in every example because they are the longest off-the-rack iron mfg. Tied with several others but their standard is longer than PING or Mizuno.

1. The Nike website chose to change what they listed on the site under irons lengths specs this year by 1/4".
2. The new nikegolf.com listed swingweight changed from D2 to D3.5 (which coincides with a quarter inch increase in length)

i hope I don't come across argumentative - just trying to understand - thanks to those who have replied to my query.

Callaway 816 DBD 9° Speeder TS
Titleist 915f 15° Diamana Blue
Callaway Apex Pro hybrid 3/20°
Callaway Apex Pro '16 4-A, Modus 120-TS
Vokey 50/54/60
Odyssey Works Rossie

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1413561463' post='10305141'][quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1413553379' post='10304533']
They measure to the TOP (not the highest point or bulge - the transition - easy to show hard to communicate) of the grip not the mark at the top of the grip hence the 1/4" addition in length over last year even though they are the exact same length.

[/quote]

I hear what you're saying, but Titleist also measures from the ground to the edge of the top of the grip. (not the bulge but the very edge of the top of the grip, past the paint line) and gets 37.00" Nike gets 37.25" for the same 7 iron. I can't figure out how they are getting the extra 1/4". I know it seems insignificant to some, but as a taller player, I play +1/4" to +1/2". It saves me from ordering if they are over (which some are saying they are not.)

Again - why is Nikegolf.com just [i]now[/i] increasing their listed specs by 1/4" if they are no different than last year? I pulled every iron spec for the last several years from their cached Nikegolf.com website and they are all a quarter inch SHORTER than the 2015 nike irons about to be released.

I use Titleist in every example because they are the longest off-the-rack iron mfg. Tied with several others but their standard is longer than PING or Mizuno.

1. The Nike website chose to change what they listed on the site under irons lengths specs this year by 1/4".
2. The new nikegolf.com listed swingweight changed from D2 to D3.5 (which coincides with a quarter inch increase in length)

i hope I don't come across argumentative - just trying to understand - thanks to those who have replied to my query.[/quote]

You may be right. Vr pro blade specs list 7 iron as 37" and I have a set of those, and the length matches my 714ap2 standard 37" 7 iron length. I guess the only thing to do without getting an answer from Nike is compare the length at the store when they come out.

I wish everyone measured the same way and there was an industry standard

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

Did You all talk about the resurrection of the compression channel? Looks like the speed is very close to the 2.0 CP #s wise and curious if they talked about any improvement if hit low on the face. I would hope it to be assumed knowledge as that was the best thing about the VR tour

Nike Vapor Flex 440 w Fuji Tour spec 63
Nike Vapor Fly 3w
Nike Vapor Flex 3h
Nike Vapor Pro combo 4-PW w PX LZ 5.5
Nike Engage 52 square and 58DS
Nike Method Origin B2-05
RZN Dot Platinum
[color=#0000ff]IG Gchrist_01[/color]

Hey Swanry,

I hope all is well. I'm curious to hear about which shafts you've chosen for your irons. I recall that when the CTapers came out, you were a big fan. At the last oven fitting you switched to PX. I've been playing the CTs since they came out and dig them. Can you comment on how your switch to PX has gone? What are the advantages to the PX for your game? I've gamed PX before and I like them, but they do certainly play quite firm through the hitting area. The CTs are smoother in this regard. Curious to see which shafts end up in your vapors.

Cheers,
D

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

How does the volt colored RZN Black ball look? Any pics on that would be great

nike_NYCvaporPC.jpg

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

I NEED those Volt balls and tees in my life.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I'm definitely playing those!

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

Anyone know the price and release date in the UK?! Cannot wait!!!

[b]Driver: [/b]TaylorMade R15 9.5*
[b]5-Wood: [/b]Ping G400
[b]Hybrid: [/b]Titleist 915 4H 21*
[b]Irons: [/b]Ping i200 w/CB Alta Graphite
[b]Wedges: [/b]Vokey SM6 50* F Grind/54* S/58* M Grind
[b]Putter: [/b]Scotty Cameron Newport 2.6
[b]Balls: [/b]Titleist Pro V1 2017

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1413561463' post='10305141']

[/quote]

i hope I don't come across argumentative - just trying to understand - thanks to those who have replied to my query.
[/quote]

Yes, Nike measures to the "shoulder" of the grip. My understanding of the "shoulder" is where the grip transitions to the butt cap. In general, there is an additional 0.125" from the "shoulder" to the very top of the butt cap.

I do believe that many of the manufactures measure club length from the heel to some point near the top of the grip. I think that most of them measure on the heel side of the shaft........you will get a shorter distance there. Nike sets the club in a green gauge, at lie angle, and measures the length of the club parallel to the center line of the shaft but on the target side of the club. To a right-handed golfer looking down at the club at address, that would be at 9 o'clock. Measuring there versus on the heel side of the club will give you a longer measurement. Due to the angle on the heel side of the club, the farther away you are from the centerline of the club the shorter the measured distance if you stay paralled to the shaft.

Last year I think Nike measured to a different point on the grip. For example: a Golf Pride grip generally has two small white parallel circles under the Golf Pride name at the butt end of the grip. If you used the middle of the two parallel lines as your measurement point, that could easily account for the 0.25" difference between 2013 and 2014 published club lengths.

I'm not sure there is a correct or incorrect way to measure the length of a club. LOL........good luck getting all of the OEM's on board to measure length the same.

You can say the same thing regarding shafts manufacturers and flex................what one OEM call S flex is another OEM's R flex.

TaylorMade M2 10.5 / Matrix White Tie 50X4 R
Callaway Apex 3/20 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3
Callaway Apex 4/23 Hybrid / USTM Recoil 760 ES F3

Maltby KE Tour TC 5/25 Hybrid / Rapport CoreBlue Hybrid R flex
Maltby Forged DBM 4-GW / USTM Recoil 660 F3
Maltby TSW DRM 58 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby TSW DRM 54 / UST Rv2 Gold 115 R
Maltby PTM-5 with 3" Carbon Steel hosel & UST Frequency Filter shaft
Nike RZN Tour Black or TaylorMade Tour Response

[quote name='station2station' timestamp='1413561463' post='10305141']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Length didn't change - measuring to the "shoulder" vs "line" did.

SW increase was from more mass moving to the toe in the iron. For ease of communication - static head weight is virtually the same, but as weight is moved to the toe SW increases.

[quote name='QuickFeet' timestamp='1413582588' post='10306797']
Yes, Nike measures to the "shoulder" of the grip. My understanding of the "shoulder" is where the grip transitions to the butt cap. In general, there is an additional 0.125" from the "shoulder" to the very top of the butt cap.

I do believe that many of the manufactures measure club length from the heel to some point near the top of the grip. I think that most of them measure on the heel side of the shaft........you will get a shorter distance there. Nike sets the club in a green gauge, at lie angle, and measures the length of the club parallel to the center line of the shaft but on the target side of the club. To a right-handed golfer looking down at the club at address, that would be at 9 o'clock. Measuring there versus on the heel side of the club will give you a longer measurement. Due to the angle on the heel side of the club, the farther away you are from the centerline of the club the shorter the measured distance if you stay paralled to the shaft.

Last year I think Nike measured to a different point on the grip. For example: a Golf Pride grip generally has two small white parallel circles under the Golf Pride name at the butt end of the grip. If you used the middle of the two parallel lines as your measurement point, that could easily account for the 0.25" difference between 2013 and 2014 published club lengths.

I'm not sure there is a correct or incorrect way to measure the length of a club. LOL........good luck getting all of the OEM's on board to measure length the same.

You can say the same thing regarding shafts manufacturers and flex................what one OEM call S flex is another OEM's R flex.
[/quote]

This is pretty much exactly how it was explained to us, or at least was my understanding of it. Basically there is variations between grip types and butt cap sized from grip to grip, this way is more consistent.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Got 2.5 hours of sleep last night and just woke up from a nap :) Can't thank Nike and WRX enough for a truly incredible experience with the new product and the great people behind it. I'm excited to see how these clubs do in the bag compared to my current stuff.

[quote name='Rustynuts' timestamp='1413590377' post='10307329']
Any comparisons from the oven trip last year? ie are these an inprovement on what was fitted up for last year?
[/quote]

I plan on writing my review over this weekend, but for me the two drivers I was fit for aren't even in the same league. The Vapor Flex is a far better driver, the Trackman results were confirmed on the course when we played 9 holes at Shady Oaks.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413591257' post='10307401']
Tai.....even with the shallower face , did the FLEX launch any lower than expected? Seems like an oxymoron. ....shallow face but low launch. ....realizing that cg low forward plays into the flight.....can you compare it to SLDR?
[/quote]

It did. We went from 9.5 from the mid setting to the 10.5 low setting, and kept going back and forth between 9.5 mid/low and 10.5 low and also the neutral and right setting. We were probably messing around with about 4 solid settings back and forth before we settled on 9.5 mid. The crazy part is that in the mid setting the club is easier to turn over and will bump the spin up about 200ish rpms. The 9.5 low setting was lower in spin and more fade biased, almost a different driver just by flipping the flex flight cartridge. On 9.5 low, my spin was sub 2000 rpms, which is probably the only driver I've been able to get down that low. Ball flight is just ridiculous.. and this time we got to verify everything on the golf course, which was really great to see. I want to get it out to my club asap to see where it puts me in comparison to my normal spots with the SLDR.

Also, the sound is incredible. Has a really unique hotmelted sound to it.. sort of FT Tour-ish but swap the composite sounds with a muted metallic sound.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413592282' post='10307481']
[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413591257' post='10307401']
Tai.....even with the shallower face , did the FLEX launch any lower than expected? Seems like an oxymoron. ....shallow face but low launch. ....realizing that cg low forward plays into the flight.....can you compare it to SLDR?
[/quote]

It did. We went from 9.5 from the mid setting to the 10.5 low setting, and kept going back and forth between 9.5 mid/low and 10.5 low and also the neutral and right setting. We were probably messing around with about 4 solid settings back and forth before we settled on 9.5 mid. The crazy part is that in the mid setting the club is easier to turn over and will bump the spin up about 200ish rpms. The 9.5 low setting was lower in spin and more fade biased, almost a different driver just by flipping the flex flight cartridge. On 9.5 low, my spin was sub 2000 rpms, which is probably the only driver I've been able to get down that low. Ball flight is just ridiculous.. and this time we got to verify everything on the golf course, which was really great to see. I want to get it out to my club asap to see where it puts me in comparison to my normal spots with the SLDR.
[/quote]

So informative Tai.....BART SCOTT......can't wait! In other words. .....you've ALWAYS been extremely fair in judging drivers in all aspects and to feel your excitement...wow.....get some rest bud....the 72 holes this weekend needs your full attention. ..

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413592282' post='10307481'][quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413591257' post='10307401']
[/quote]

Also, the sound is incredible. Has a really unique hotmelted sound to it.. sort of FT Tour-ish but swap the composite sounds with a muted metallic sound.[/quote]

Tai, thanks for the great info. How was the forgiveness of the flex? I'm sure that was maybe the greatest difference so I'm hearing how the balance of performance and forgiveness are for all models. Congrats on a great experience.

Callaway Epic 9.0 w/Mitsu Grand Bassara
Titleist 915F 3W
TMaG 4 Rescue 2011
PXG 0311XF 5-7 Steelfiber
PXG 0311 8-GW Steelfiber
Scotty Newport Notchback 34"
Titleist BV 54 & 58 Wedges

[quote name='adfrick' timestamp='1413592831' post='10307533']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413592282' post='10307481'][quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413591257' post='10307401']
[/quote]

Also, the sound is incredible. Has a really unique hotmelted sound to it.. sort of FT Tour-ish but swap the composite sounds with a muted metallic sound.[/quote]

Tai, thanks for the great info. How was the forgiveness of the flex? I'm sure that was maybe the greatest difference so I'm hearing how the balance of performance and forgiveness are for all models. Congrats on a great experience.
[/quote]

First of all I'm not Tai - but can give you my quick input. There is a MOI difference between the FLEX and PRO for sure - however if the right guy hits it - it can produce straighter shots. The compression channel helps keep miss hits in check distance wise and with the appropriate fitting and numbers you can really manage your miss. I felt the FLEX was as easy if not easier to hit online and square up than the other two. First, it just fit my eye. Second, the balance point and weight of the driver made swings that weren't tired scorched on a bullet line. Third, (more to come in my review) the accoustics don't make you brace or anticipate the hit or impact. We discussed the head sounding like a VR LTD / FT TOUR blend. It is low pitched and quick sound. When your not waiting for impact you free flow it through the hitting zone.

I hit the SPEED head very straight but off line.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1413593928' post='10307615']
[quote name='adfrick' timestamp='1413592831' post='10307533']
[/quote]

[/quote]

First of all I'm not Tai - but can give you my quick input. There is a MOI difference between the FLEX and PRO for sure - however if the right guy hits it - it can produce straighter shots. The compression channel helps keep miss hits in check distance wise and with the appropriate fitting and numbers you can really manage your miss. I felt the FLEX was as easy if not easier to hit online and square up than the other two. First, it just fit my eye. Second, the balance point and weight of the driver made swings that weren't tired scorched on a bullet line. Third, (more to come in my review) the accoustics don't make you brace or anticipate the hit or impact. We discussed the head sounding like a VR LTD / FT TOUR blend. It is low pitched and quick sound. When your not waiting for impact you free flow it through the hitting zone.

I hit the SPEED head very straight but off line.
[/quote]

Does the FLEX look more in line with vr limited or covert tour 1.0 ? More please!

You be the judge

[attachment=2463379:ImageUploadedByGolfWRX Mobile1413595246.629952.jpg]

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ