2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Oven: GolfWRX's Nike Vapor Driver Experience (trip recap and reviews on page 1!)

[quote name='cota0429' timestamp='1413301477' post='10284411']
Tell them to not wait until next year for the Volt Rzn Black
[/quote]
Think they're Nov 1.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='rbhan12' timestamp='1413294333' post='10283661']
Will the tips from previous lines be compatible with the Vapor line? Thanks.

Edit: tips as in shaft tips/sleeves.
[/quote]

Yes, they are backwards compatible. The big difference however is weight; this new generation of tips/sleeves for the Vapor line is lighter then those found on the Covert/Covert 2.0.

Sim - Ad TP
M5 15 - Diamana B
Vapor Pro 
SM8 53, 58 
BM DH89SS 

[quote name='knudson81' timestamp='1413303357' post='10284611']Really want to see some in hand pictures of the new wedges. To me the Engage Dual Sole looks really good. Want to see in hand, bounce/loft options, and what it looks like from address.[/quote]diddo, also curious how they will be packaged. Someone suggested wax?

Also, new fitting process a myth or Reality?

Nike Vapor Flex 440 w Fuji Tour spec 63
Nike Vapor Fly 3w
Nike Vapor Flex 3h
Nike Vapor Pro combo 4-PW w PX LZ 5.5
Nike Engage 52 square and 58DS
Nike Method Origin B2-05
RZN Dot Platinum
[color=#0000ff]IG Gchrist_01[/color]

[quote name='GMoney76' timestamp='1413308171' post='10285147']
[quote name='knudson81' timestamp='1413303357' post='10284611']Really want to see some in hand pictures of the new wedges. To me the Engage Dual Sole looks really good. Want to see in hand, bounce/loft options, and what it looks like from address.[/quote]diddo, also curious how they will be packaged. Someone suggested wax?

Also, new fitting process a myth or Reality?
[/quote]

Maker's Mark type wax is what I'm hearing as well. Different colors for the different grind types. Raw wedges start to look pretty brutal to most people after a bit sitting in a shop, so they're putting wax on them to protect them. I think it's a cool idea, I just wonder how much explaining people are going to have to do.

Ping G400 Max UST Proforce V2
TM M5 15* UST Proforce V2
Callaway Apex UW 19* PX HZRDUS Smoke Black
Srixon ZX5 - 4&5 MMT 105

Srixon ZX7 - 6-PW MMT 105
Edel SMS 50V/54V/58T Nippon 125
Odyssey MXM #1W

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1413308718' post='10285209']
We're going for metal woods, not planning to see the wedges.
[/quote]

I am guessing irons as well? Since they will be out soon.

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413309939' post='10285321']
[quote name='Lesmond' timestamp='1413309870' post='10285313']
[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1413308718' post='10285209']
We're going for metal woods, not planning to see the wedges.
[/quote]

I am guessing irons as well? Since they will be out soon.
[/quote]

Woods only is what I was told.
[/quote]

Nice, good to know.

I see why they want to hype those up to us/public. Got a while till they release.

Irons come end of the month, can't wait!

Driver: TaylorMade SIM 10.5*
Fairway: TaylorMade M6 15*
Fairway: TaylorMade M2 18*
Irons: Titleist 718 T-MB 4 iron
Irons: Titleist 718 AP2 5-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX-Zipcore 50*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 54*
Wedges: TaylorMade MG2 60*
Putter: TaylorMade Spider X

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1413312592' post='10285691']regardless if we are going for metal woods - we will at least ask to see the wedges :) i'm sold on the std 54 and ds 58 but want to see the new toe sweep engage...[/quote]

From my understanding we won't see anything on the wedges until next year.

I'm curious to see if there is any difference of an Oven built driver vs Retail. Is it just the fitting process that is different?

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413256626' post='10282249']
Back to the topic.. I am very honored and appreciative to return to the Oven on behalf of GolfWRX and will do everything possible to represent GolfWRX and our members as best I can. My game and bag have changed a few times since our last trip to the Oven, I have done a full bag fitting and build by Cool Clubs and I will be comparing the Vapor line against a set that has beat out my previous Oven bag by a fairly significant amount, the VR irons did get 2nd to the 714 MB/CB's in my fitting, but the rest was not very close. I have been very transparent with my reviews and posts that show "on-course" and Trackman data and I feel that my current bag is a great benchmark for me to test the new Vapor lines against. I am very excited to try the new line and more excited to share my feedback with the WRX community, good or bad, it will be posted :)

Thank you GolfWRX, thank you Nike.. :smilie_nike: Shane and George, you guys will be missed :drinks:
[/quote]
I'm just really curious:
How do you go to the same facility that fits Nike staffers and come away with a bad fitting? To the point another 3rd party fitting seriously out-performs what you were fit for at the Oven? It just doesn't seem like something adds up? Having hit enough gear in the last decade+, when fit, most companies are pretty close to one another. This sounds too much like marketing we're getting out of various companies. Yards gained and quarterly profits can't go on forever.

Do you guys get fit into what you think [u]you want/is cool/maybe tour issue and not avail to the public when you go to this thing? [/u]
Or do you get fit into what they recommend as best for your game with the data to back it?
Do you get the "hot shafts" everyone is talking about, or accept it if a "ho-hum" less exciting/new shaft performs fine during the fitting?

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1413314235' post='10285853']
Back to the topic.. I am very honored and appreciative to return to the Oven on behalf of GolfWRX and will do everything possible to represent GolfWRX and our members as best I can. My game and bag have changed a few times since our last trip to the Oven, I have done a full bag fitting and build by Cool Clubs and I will be comparing the Vapor line against a set that has beat out my previous Oven bag by a fairly significant amount, the VR irons did get 2nd to the 714 MB/CB's in my fitting, but the rest was not very close. I have been very transparent with my reviews and posts that show "on-course" and Trackman data and I feel that my current bag is a great benchmark for me to test the new Vapor lines against. I am very excited to try the new line and more excited to share my feedback with the WRX community, good or bad, it will be posted :)

Thank you GolfWRX, thank you Nike.. :smilie_nike: Shane and George, you guys will be missed :drinks:
[/quote]
I'm just really curious:
How do you go to the same facility that fits Nike staffers and come away with a bad fitting? To the point another 3rd party fitting seriously out-performs what you were fit for at the Oven? It just doesn't seem like something adds up? Having hit enough gear in the last decade+, when fit, most companies are pretty close to one another. This sounds too much like marketing we're getting out of various companies. Yards gained and quarterly profits can't go on forever.

Do you guys get fit into what you think [u]you want/is cool/maybe tour issue and not avail to the public when you go to this thing? [/u]
Or do you get fit into what they recommend as best for your game with the data to back it?
Do you get the "hot shafts" everyone is talking about, or accept it if a "ho-hum" less exciting/new shaft performs fine during the fitting?
[/quote]

Tour issue only heads like the 2 dot was not available.

And I downgraded from a kiyoshi White to a VTS black in my driver. Picked up 8 yards.

One issue we had during our fitting was a 30 MPH headwind that day on the range

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1413314642' post='10285903']
Sorry, not familiar with what a two dot is.
Any idea what they do if Rory comes in for a fitting and they have a heavy wind that day and he's only in town for a day or two? Indoor bay hitting to the outside?
I'd say you upgraded if you picked up 8 yards. VTS Black is a nice shaft. Played it in the VR Ltd.
[/quote]

2 Dot is a low spin version of a particular head.

Rory does not get fit based on one range session. He has a few luxuries we don't..

And I only meant that in terms of price the VTS is a downgrade from the White. I wasn't just looking to get the most expensive shaft I could because it was free...

I don't have a horse in the race, not like I would expected to be chosen or even able to go if I was. That being said I think it's kind of crappy for whoever picked the participants (whether it be Nike or GolfWRX) to have picked the exact same ones that went last time. There are a lot of people here who contribute a lot to the site with reviews/recommendations and this SHOULD BE a once in a lifetime opportunity (apparently not, some are just luckier than others).

[/quote]
I'm just really curious:

[/quote]
Last year I went with what they recommended as the best fit for me. It was actually the driver I took with me. CP 1.0 with an Ahina 70 Stiff. I hit both the Perf and the Tour with all types of shafts. I know the Ahina is pretty expensive, I stayed with it because it beat out everything else.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='ajschn06' timestamp='1413315275' post='10285961']
I don't have a horse in the race, not like I would expected to be chosen or even able to go if I was. That being said I think it's kind of crappy for whoever picked the participants (whether it be Nike or GolfWRX) to have picked the exact same ones that went last time. There are a lot of people here who contribute a lot to the site with reviews/recommendations and this SHOULD BE a once in a lifetime opportunity (apparently not, some are just luckier than others).
[/quote]

A warning was posted to stay on topic and I can only assume it meant to not question why the same group was chosen.

[/quote]
I'm just really curious:

[/quote]
Divots yes and no to your question. The Irons I went with all split cavities even though I could use more forgiveness in my 3-4 irons. I figured I'm only going to the Oven once, why not get tour only irons? After this season is over they will get cleaned up and put in a Nike staff bag next to the bar with all my Oven clubs. The driver, I was hitting CT 10 yards longer then my gamer and about 15 yards longer the the CP. But on miss hits it was the total opposite. I could of took the CT because it looked cooler and more expensive, but I went with what was better for me. I went with the VTS Black and I really didn't hit that many shafts.

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='shaffe' timestamp='1413317649' post='10286163']
[quote name='ajschn06' timestamp='1413315275' post='10285961']
[/quote]

A warning was posted to stay on topic and I can only assume it meant to not question why the same group was chosen.
[/quote]

I think that's certainly on topic, I just feel bad for some of the top notch members here who won't get to experience this, and here we have people experiencing it twice on a two year span. That doesn't even touch on the fact that one or more of the people going get a new set of clubs every year, and may not even play the set they are fit into. At the same time there are folks here who could never afford a nice, new set of custom fit clubs...or have other priorities and would really cherish the opportunity..

Y'all have fun. Excited to hear the reviews. I haven't liked the last couple of Nike drivers, hope this one is a improvement.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

[quote name='MNNikeGuy' timestamp='1413318157' post='10286203']

[/quote]
I'm just really curious:

[/quote]
Divots yes and no to your question. The Irons I went with all split cavities even though I could use more forgiveness in my 3-4 irons. I figured I'm only going to the Oven once, why not get tour only irons? After this season is over they will get cleaned up and put in a Nike staff bag next to the bar with all my Oven clubs. The driver, I was hitting CT 10 yards longer then my gamer and about 15 yards longer the the CP. But on miss hits it was the total opposite. I could of took the CT because it looked cooler and more expensive, but I went with what was better for me. I went with the VTS Black and I really didn't hit that many shafts.
[/quote]
Did the clubs end up helping improve your game, overall? I've had the fortune of seeing them and playing with you, so I have my own take and observations. Curious how you felt about what you were fit into, other than them being rare and a tour issue iron head. Any reason you didn't hit multiple driver shafts? Were you guys kind of rushed along or anything?
I'm really past the "LM is king" kind of equipment vetting. One day's 5-10 yard gain isn't always there the next day.

[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1413320128' post='10286399']
Did the clubs end up helping improve your game, overall? I've had the fortune of seeing them and playing with you, so I have my own take and observations. Curious how you felt about what you were fit into, other than them being rare and a tour issue iron head. Any reason you didn't hit multiple driver shafts? Were you guys kind of rushed along or anything?
I'm really past the "LM is king" kind of equipment vetting. One day's 5-10 yard gain isn't always there the next day.
[/quote]

That conversation is best suited for either a PM discussion or the original Oven trip thread. Please keep this thread ON TOPIC and in regards to the Vapor trip only.

[quote name='bjackson' timestamp='1413320300' post='10286415']
[quote name='mr_divots' timestamp='1413320128' post='10286399']
[/quote]

That conversation is best suited for either a PM discussion or the original Oven trip thread. Please keep this thread ON TOPIC and in regards to the Vapor trip only.
[/quote]
You guys try to steer every conversation on here in a cheerleading fashion.
If we have questions about their last trip and the fitting, wouldn't that be applicable to trip #2?
I can PM with G all day. I know him. I am looking for the perspectives and experiences of all those who were again chosen for this trip.
I am attempting to understand the last experience so that I can understand this one as well. I think many are probably interested.
The Vapor trip is going to the same fitting facility, right? The Oven?

Another way to look at it is, with the same group going back, I'm looking forward to the direct comparison over last years equip and i may be able to make a better educated decision on whether the Vapor line is better than the covert 2.0 line. Still somewhat subjective obviously but if Pure gets past the honeymoon phase w the vapor, I'll put some stock into it.

Nike Vapor Flex 440 w Fuji Tour spec 63
Nike Vapor Fly 3w
Nike Vapor Flex 3h
Nike Vapor Pro combo 4-PW w PX LZ 5.5
Nike Engage 52 square and 58DS
Nike Method Origin B2-05
RZN Dot Platinum
[color=#0000ff]IG Gchrist_01[/color]